PDA

View Full Version : Sox road games in HD!

BeeBeeRichard
01-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Apparently stemming from a blurb in the February edition of Chicago magazine, the boards at avsforum.com have news that both WGN and Comcast SportsNet will carry road games of the White Sox and some other team in HD during the upcoming season.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12823332#post12823332

AnkleSox
01-16-2008, 06:06 PM
That's awesome. Now let's just hope that they never play another game on the joke of a station known as wciu.

peeonwrigley
01-16-2008, 06:11 PM
That's awesome. Now let's just hope that they never play another game on the joke of a station known as wciu.

WCIU actually looks pretty fly in HD, as well.

Domeshot17
01-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Best News all day...yah..been one of those days haha.

DaveIsHere
01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
WCIU actually looks pretty fly in HD, as well.

Comcast just added the WCIU HD channel to their lineup so we are set for next year my friends. Jacob is eager to watch some games with his pops.

ksimpson14
01-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Excellent

FedEx227
01-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Solid, now I just need cable HD without getting raped by Comcast. Probably not happening anytime soon.

So more games on WGN/WCIU !

Kogs35
01-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Solid, now I just need cable HD without getting raped by Comcast. Probably not happening anytime soon.

So more games on WGN/WCIU !

directv has packages as low as 29.99 fwiw

cnw8052
01-17-2008, 12:53 AM
Hmm, I must be in the minority, but I'm tired of seeing everything on TV all squished and distorted to fit wide screens. That's what I hate about Saturday games on Fox.

Oh well......

Nellie_Fox
01-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Hmm, I must be in the minority, but I'm tired of seeing everything on TV all squished and distorted to fit wide screens. That's what I hate about Saturday games on Fox.

Oh well......That only happens when you are stretching out non-HD signals to fit the wider screen of an HDTV. The HD programming is designed to fit the wider screen.

My HDTV has several settings I can choose for standard def programming, including putting the black bars on the side to give it the normal aspect ratio, stretching just a bit in width and losing a little off the top and bottom, stretching just the sides, leaving the center normal (I can't get used to that one) or the full stretch from side-to-side, either chopping a lot off the top and bottom or squishing it down completely.

SBSoxFan
01-17-2008, 07:22 AM

Oh well......

That only happens when you are stretching out non-HD signals to fit the wider screen of an HDTV. The HD programming is designed to fit the wider screen.

My HDTV has several settings I can choose for standard def programming, including putting the black bars on the side to give it the normal aspect ratio, stretching just a bit in width and losing a little off the top and bottom, stretching just the sides, leaving the center normal (I can't get used to that one) or the full stretch from side-to-side, either chopping a lot off the top and bottom or squishing it down completely.

Well, I guess we all can't have fancy tv's like you, Nellie. :tongue:

Although by this time next year we might have to.

skottyj242
01-17-2008, 08:29 AM
This is great considering I just ordered the HD Direct TV.

twsoxfan5
01-17-2008, 08:58 AM

I am considering options for my condo now and I think I am going to go with DirecTV due to the cost of Comcast. My question is do you get all the local HD channels on DirecTV? Like WCIU and WGN HD? I know you get Comcast HD b/c I already checked on that one but I was wondering about the others.

rdwj
01-17-2008, 09:23 AM
That's the best news I've heard all week!

doublem23
01-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Oh well......

You should be able to watch the games on the non-HD versions of CSN or WGN on a regular SDTV without any problems at all.

KenBerryGrab
01-17-2008, 11:42 AM
You should be able to watch the games on the non-HD versions of CSN or WGN on a regular SDTV without any problems at all.

True, but...

Increasingly, the producers and directors working sporting events are framing things for the HD screen ratio. So, for instance, quarterbacks are on the edge of an SD screen, graphics are sometimes out of the SD "safe area" and a general claustrophopic feeling can result.

pierzynski07
01-17-2008, 11:50 AM
True, but...

Increasingly, the producers and directors working sporting events are framing things for the HD screen ratio. So, for instance, quarterbacks are on the edge of an SD screen, graphics are sometimes out of the SD "safe area" and a general claustrophopic feeling can result.
I noticed that too, especially during one of the BCS games this year.

Chilli Palmer
01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
:hawk

I luv HD

IlliniSox4Life
01-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Anyone ever have the problem with Comcast where it looks like they are stretching a SD signal to fit a widescreen TV, but you have an SD TV so it cuts off the edges? This happens to me every once in a while. Basically what it amounts to is it cuts off the edges of the SD broadcast and stretches the middle to fill the screen. Really annoying.

It's Dankerific
01-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I am sure there were similar problems as the networks switched to a color lineup back in the day. HD is long overdue, lets embrace it =)

BeeBeeRichard
01-17-2008, 01:39 PM
HD, the greatest advance in the history of man since

http://reporter.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/zenith.jpg

PalehosePlanet
01-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I just picked up an HD tv last week and am having Dish network install an HD-DVR on Saturday.

Q: The thread's title states "Road games in HD", does that mean that we already have all of the home games in HD? (again...HD is new to me.)

twsoxfan5
01-17-2008, 03:36 PM
I just picked up an HD tv last week and am having Dish network install an HD-DVR on Saturday.

Q: The thread's title states "Road games in HD", does that mean that we already have all of the home games in HD? (again...HD is new to me.)

Yes almost all the home games are in HD if they are on Comcast, WGN, or WCIU. I cant remeber what happens if they are on CLTV or CLTV+.

russ99
01-17-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm very glad WGN and WCIU are doing this. I'm a happy over-air antenna HDTV viewer.

I'm not about to upgrade my Dish network account to HD, since there's a $200 deposit for the HD equipment, and both Comcast and DirectTV's HD deals are introductory rates for new subscribers, and also have a deposit requirement or require you to buy equipment.

Once the industry stops treating HD like an enormous cash cow with an entry fee and vastly higher rates, then I'll upgrade.

PalehosePlanet
01-17-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm very glad WGN and WCIU are doing this. I'm a happy over-air antenna HDTV viewer.

I'm not about to upgrade my Dish network account to HD, since there's a $200 deposit for the HD equipment, and both Comcast and DirectTV's HD deals are introductory rates for new subscribers, and also have a deposit requirement or require you to buy equipment.

Once the industry stops treating HD like an enormous cash cow with an entry fee and vastly higher rates, then I'll upgrade.

Russ, there is no $200 deposit for current Dish Network subscribers. I paid $149 for the latest and greatest HD DVR (the previous generation which just has less recording space is only $100!) After this initial fee they give you a $100 rebate (print out online, fill out and send in.) Therefore, I'm only out about $50, but had I taken last year's version I would have been dead even. The HD service is free for 6 months but then goes up to $20 a month (a little steep...I know.) I think the deal expires at the end of January for current subscribers but the date might have changed --- can't be sure.

ksimpson14
01-17-2008, 05:24 PM
I am considering options for my condo now and I think I am going to go with DirecTV due to the cost of Comcast. My question is do you get all the local HD channels on DirecTV? Like WCIU and WGN HD? I know you get Comcast HD b/c I already checked on that one but I was wondering about the others.

Put your zip in here http://directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/localChannels.jsp?assetId=900018

IlliniSox4Life
01-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Is there a CSN HD channel that you get with regular Comcast programming, or do you have to upgrade? My parents have an HDTV, and the only HD channels I was able to find for free were ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, WTTW, and maybe one more.

SouthSide2Ship
01-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Is there a CSN HD channel that you get with regular Comcast programming, or do you have to upgrade? My parents have an HDTV, and the only HD channels I was able to find for free were ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, WTTW, and maybe one more.

yeah you need HD programming for Comcast HD...those are the only ones that come right through the wall.

Soxaholic
01-17-2008, 09:58 PM

If you have WGN as a local channel, then yes you are able to get WGNHD with DirecTV. As far as WCIU, it is not offered on their HD package, but you are able to hook up an antenna (like the old rabbit ears) to the receiver and will be able to get the HD feed of WCIU, along with PBS HD, WPWR, and others not on the HD list.

It is actually a positive that DTV does this because it acts as a built-in digital tuner and you can receive channels they do not broadcast with their equipment, whereas with Comcast, you can only get what they send you through the cable.

BadBobbyJenks
01-18-2008, 04:58 AM

100 channels in HD its unreal.