PDA

View Full Version : Robertson gets 3yr/21.5m extension

thedudeabides
01-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Per Rosenthal

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7683750

Huisj
01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Wow, I didn't realize he was 30 years old already. Good deal for them for the next year maybe, but 10 million for him in a couple of years seems like a lot, especially considering he struggled for part of last year.

jabrch
01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Looks like a good deal for both sides. Robertson gives up one year of FA but gets 3 yrs gauranteed.

So the Tigers now have a 5th starter locked down.

veeter
01-16-2008, 06:29 PM
When the Tigers were in the post-season in 2006, consequently winning the pennant, Robertson was throwing smoke. Now, he's cut from the Tom Glavine-Mark Buehrle mode, but that October he was gassing! I could've sworn he was in the mid low to mid nineties. Since then he's had a tired arm. It seems like a good signing, but I think he'll be part of a long year for the Tigers. They'll still win a lot of games, but I don't think they make the playoffs.

Oblong
01-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Robertson is pretty much an average pitcher statistically and seeing that on the open market they're getting anywhere from 8-12 million per, then I think this is a good deal.

PalehosePlanet
01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
When the Tigers were in the post-season in 2006, consequently winning the pennant, Robertson was throwing smoke. Now, he's cut from the Tom Glavine-Mark Buehrle mode, but that October he was gassing! I could've sworn he was in the mid low to mid nineties. Since then he's had a tired arm. It seems like a good signing, but I think he'll be part of a long year for the Tigers. They'll still win a lot of games, but I don't think they make the playoffs.

Robertson has always been somewhere between Glavine and Buehrle on the gun (87-90 but mostly in the 87 range.)

What you might have seen is Comerica's gun adding 4 to 5 MPH to their pitchers. I always found it weird that somehow Kenny Rogers was supposedly throwing 93-94 in game 2 of the world series when even 15 years ago he topped out at 91-92. Rogers hasn't thrown a ball over 87 in years.

Also you see Fernando Rodney throw 97-98 at home, 92 elsewhere; Zumaya 103 at home, 96-99 elsewhere; Bonderman 97 at home, 94 elsewhere... and so on. I'm not sure if they do it to fire up the crowd or to give the pitcher confidence, or both.

True story: Last year Zumaya was about to throw a pitch at Comerica against us, then at the last second stepped off the rubber. The gun showed 103 then quickly shut off.

BTW: I've not seen this done at any other park.

As far as the signing goes? Not a bad deal for the Tigers especially when you consider Jason Marquis signed for the same money.

Oblong
01-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Robertson has always been somewhere between Glavine and Buehrle on the gun (87-90 but mostly in the 87 range.)

What you might have seen is Comerica's gun adding 4 to 5 MPH to their pitchers. I always found it weird that somehow Kenny Rogers was supposedly throwing 93-94 in game 2 of the world series when even 15 years ago he topped out at 91-92. Rogers hasn't thrown a ball over 87 in years.

Also you see Fernando Rodney throw 97-98 at home, 92 elsewhere; Zumaya 103 at home, 96-99 elsewhere; Bonderman 97 at home, 94 elsewhere... and so on. I'm not sure if they do it to fire up the crowd or to give the pitcher confidence, or both.

True story: Last year Zumaya was about to throw a pitch at Comerica against us, then at the last second stepped off the rubber. The gun showed 103 then quickly shut off.

BTW: I've not seen this done at any other park.

As far as the signing goes? Not a bad deal for the Tigers especially when you consider Jason Marquis signed for the same money.

The ESPN gun was showing Zumaya at 103 too. During a Sunday night game against the Angels, Joe Morgan was questioning the Comreica Park gun. He was saying things like "Maybe 99 but not 100". Then Miller said "Our gun's matching the park" and questioned him as to how he could tell the difference between 99 and 101. He didn't answer.

There was a website that analyzed Kenny's pitching mechanics in the post season and said he was throwing much different from the regular season, as if he was trying to get the most out of his arm. It wasn't just the Comerica Park reading that was high, it was the networks. They use different guns. It was suggested that's what caused his arm troubles in the spring of 2007, the radically different throwing motion.