PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 1000 Reporting Sox Trying To Sign Colon

twinsuck1
01-16-2008, 09:02 AM
ESPN 1000, Bruce Levine reporting that the White Sox are trying to sign Bartolo Colon...

oeo
01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
ESPN 1000, Bruce Levine reporting that the White Sox are trying to sign Bartolo Colon...

What, exactly, did he say? If he really said they're 'trying,' then this is old news.

Did he said they're in contract negotiations?

I don't think this will ever happen. The Mets were scared away for a reason, and they're more desperate for starting pitching than we are.

Zisk77
01-16-2008, 09:21 AM
If its levine its gotta be true!

I hope his source isn't us. :redneck

Sign him to an incentive laden contract and put him on Jenny Craig.

I don't know if he fits our staff... he actually is good at holding runners on base.:angry:

twsoxfan5
01-16-2008, 09:22 AM
If they could get him that would provide some good insurance for the rotation. Although he may be looking for a 2 year deal that I am not sure any team is willing to do.

twinsuck1
01-16-2008, 09:23 AM
They said Don Cooper went to check him out and that they are trying to sign him. No more deatils then that.

skottyj242
01-16-2008, 09:27 AM
So what happens to Danks?

oeo
01-16-2008, 09:38 AM
So what happens to Danks?

He stays in the rotation because Colon will be occupying the DL by March 31st.

The Sox won't sign him if he's in terrible health. If no one is interested, he is in terrible health.

A few members of the White Sox organization have told me how Colon, at his best, would be the only starter in their rotation who could be considered a true ace. I've been told, though, how Colon currently is not quite operating at his best.http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080114&content_id=2345498&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I think they're interested for the fact that he could really upgrade the team if healthy, but if he's not, they will steer clear. And he's apparently not healthy, so lets move on.

spawn
01-16-2008, 09:39 AM
He stays in the rotation because Colon will be occupying the DL by March 31st.
And then the local McDonald's soon after...

The Immigrant
01-16-2008, 09:40 AM
And then the local McDonald's soon after...

He and Uribe could put Fogo de Chao out of business by early April.

spawn
01-16-2008, 09:42 AM
:rolling:

spiffie
01-16-2008, 09:57 AM
If we could get Colon on a 2-year deal with a low base and high incentives it could be a huge steal. He knows he has to get in shape and reestablish himself if he has any hopes of getting one more big deal. He's only 34 and the last time he had a full healthy year he was the Cy Young winner. I wouldn't drop a ton on him, but I think the risk/reward ratio on a small deal for Colon is a much better one than having Floyd and Danks as the #4 and #5.

And much like contracts prohibit players from things like motorcycles or skydiving, his needs to prohibit churrascurias, smorgasboards, and buffets.

btrain929
01-16-2008, 09:57 AM
If we sign him and he gets hurt, then we threw 2-3 million out the door and we don't have to exercise his option for next year.........big deal. We're back where we started with not much harm. Any production he could give us would be gravy. Even if he is only healthy for the 1st half and gets injured, Floyd's innings would be limited because he'd be long relief from the pen, and he can hopefully step in in the 2nd half and give us a 4.5 era.

I agree, though, that if his fastball is only at 87-88, we should pass.

I still believe that next offseason, we will make a few solid SP acquisitions or a big splash and acquire a horse for our rotation, whether thru FA or trade.

wilburaga
01-16-2008, 09:59 AM

Like when the Red Sox had Rich Garces and Carlos Castillo on the same staff.

O, the humanity.

W

thegooch
01-16-2008, 10:15 AM
If we could get Colon on a 2-year deal with a low base and high incentives it could be a huge steal. He knows he has to get in shape and reestablish himself if he has any hopes of getting one more big deal. He's only 34 and the last time he had a full healthy year he was the Cy Young winner. I wouldn't drop a ton on him, but I think the risk/reward ratio on a small deal for Colon is a much better one than having Floyd and Danks as the #4 and #5.

I'm totally with you on this one.

Isn't this what everyone on this board praises Kenny for doing in 2005? I don't see how this is much different from El Duque or Jermaine Dye.

It's obvious the Sox have some money to spend(considering what they were offering Hunter), and there are few FA's out there to spend it on. Why not take a flyer on Bartolo?

If Kenny was serious in saying that we are going for it in 2008, and I have no reason to doubt him, wouldn't you like to have some sort of major league back-up waiting in the wings when Danks and/or Floyd stumbles?

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-16-2008, 10:27 AM

I agree - we've seen worse signings and if he stays healthy, he could be a force in the bullpen.

Keep him out of Polish neighborhoods though - we know how those lunch buffets are. :smile:

Huisj
01-16-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm totally with you on this one.

Isn't this what everyone on this board praises Kenny for doing in 2005? I don't see how this is much different from El Duque or Jermaine Dye.

It's different because El Duque had posted a 3.30 ERA and went 8-2 in the limited time he pitched in 2004, and he did that pitching in the second half of the season--he wasn't hurt at that time. Colon, on the other hand, was terrible all year last year and only made 2 starts after July. So he ended the season bad and hurt.

01-16-2008, 10:32 AM
If we sign him and he gets hurt, then we threw 2-3 million out the door and we don't have to exercise his option for next year.........big deal. We're back where we started with not much harm. Any production he could give us would be gravy. Even if he is only healthy for the 1st half and gets injured, Floyd's innings would be limited because he'd be long relief from the pen, and he can hopefully step in in the 2nd half and give us a 4.5 era.

I agree, though, that if his fastball is only at 87-88, we should pass.

I still believe that next offseason, we will make a few solid SP acquisitions or a big splash and acquire a horse for our rotation, whether thru FA or trade.

Well said, the risk is worth the reward. I would feel better about our rotation if we had another proven Vet. Too many question marks, too many "well if he". The guy won the Cy Young in 05, he's always been heavy, roll the dice I say.

Foulke You
01-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Levine also mentioned in the report that Bartolo was throwing in the 92-93mph range in his last outing. If this report is accurate, it sounds like Bartolo might be healthy after all. He was throwing 93-94mph when he was with the Sox back in '03.

balke
01-16-2008, 10:34 AM
What kind of price tag do you put on a guy like this? Guarantee 7 mil and make the rest incentive? I wouldn't know how to structure that kind of contract. 3 years removed from Cy Young, but two running seasons of crap and injuries.

I would like to see him in Chicago. Could help out Jose Contreras, and if he did stay healthy, WOW to this rotation.

spawn
01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Well said, the risk is worth the reward. I would feel better about our rotation if we had another proven Vet. Too many question marks, too many "well if he". The guy won the Cy Young in 05, he's always been heavy, roll the dice I say.
Not saying that I would be upset if he were assigned to an incentive laden contract, but you're adding another question mark and a "well, if he" with his addition as well.

Rockabilly
01-16-2008, 10:36 AM
I predict Colon will win 13 games next year for the Sox. I think this will be a very good signing..

Floyd will start the season in the bullpen

Foulke You
01-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Not saying that I would be upset if he were assigned to an incentive laden contract, but you're adding another question mark and a "well, if he" with his addition as well.
Better to have more options in the starting rotation in my opinion. If Bartolo doesn't break the bank and appears healthy, on the surface it seems like a good move to help the club in '08 and would go a long way toward replacing Garland.

thomas35forever
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I agree with this post. A two-year incentive-laden deal is probably the best way to go with him. Colon is probably in the final two years of his career where he can bring out his highest potential. If Kenny signs him, it would be better than having Danks and Floyd at the back end of the rotation.

skottyj242
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I wish I would have bought that Colon jersey for cheap years ago.:D:

voodoochile
01-16-2008, 10:40 AM
What kind of price tag do you put on a guy like this? Guarantee 7 mil and make the rest incentive? I wouldn't know how to structure that kind of contract. 3 years removed from Cy Young, but two running seasons of crap and injuries.

I would like to see him in Chicago. Could help out Jose Contreras, and if he did stay healthy, WOW to this rotation.

$5M base this year with incentives to take it up to $10M and a guaranteed $10-12M next year if he hits incentives for GS and IP in 2008.

spawn
01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Better to have more options in the starting rotation in my opinion. If Bartolo doesn't break the bank and appears healthy, on the surface it seems like a good move to help the club in '08 and would go a long way toward replacing Garland.
Which is why I said I wouldn't be upset if he were signed to an incentive laden contract. Just pointing out that signing him adds another question mark. If he's healthy, it could be a great pickup. If not...

balke
01-16-2008, 10:45 AM
$5M base this year with incentives to take it up to $10M and a guaranteed $10-12M next year if he hits incentives for GS and IP in 2008.

Sounds good on the Sox' end, but I'd be surprised if that's all it took.

This could be another example of having Guillen as manager being a great thing for the Sox. It hasn't happened as much as some people thought, but if players start coming here just because he's manager I like him so much more.

spiffie
01-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Which is why I said I wouldn't be upset if he were signed to an incentive laden contract. Just pointing out that signing him adds another question mark. If he's healthy, it could be a great pickup. If not...
Yes he's another question mark. But the difference is that if Gavin Floyd has a better-than expected year he goes .500 and maybe has a league average ERA. If Colon returns to form and is healthy, he can win 15-18 games and have an era in the 3's. If you're going to take a risk on a far-from-sure thing, I'd rather go for the gamble that has a huge return if it hits.

gr8mexico
01-16-2008, 10:52 AM

How could he help out Contreras? Is he going to help him shop for grocery's

balke
01-16-2008, 10:55 AM

Oh, I guess you're right. I was thinking Colon might be Cuban too. Seemed to be more focused when El Duque was around.

beasly213
01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
If the Sox were to sign him to an incentive based contract, say 1 year with a team option for the 2nd I would love the signing.

I just don't want to be counting on him to be the guy in the rotation.

When healthy Colon could be a great number 3 pitcher. Possibly even a number 2.
I am not at all excited to see Gavin Flyod in the rotation so if the Sox can pick up Colon I would be happy! :D:

Also Kenny said a few years ago how his biggest regret was letting Colon go. As we all know when Kenny is high on somebody he does his damndest to go get him.

Let's just hope this isn't a Darin Erstad situation where we end up counting on him to fill a huge role.

thedudeabides
01-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Levine also mentioned in the report that Bartolo was throwing in the 92-93mph range in his last outing. If this report is accurate, it sounds like Bartolo might be healthy after all. He was throwing 93-94mph when he was with the Sox back in '03.

That sounds pretty good. If he's still recovering there is no way he's letting his arm go yet. He was notorious for holding back early in the season, even early in games.

Adding depth is never a bad thing. I really hope this can work out.

kaufsox
01-16-2008, 11:15 AM
It's a shame this is almost a week old. The longer this goes on, the less likely I think it will happen.

Zisk77
01-16-2008, 11:40 AM
If he is signed and appears healthy (and danks and Floyd appear solid) I would not be surprised if Contreras is traded to either the Dodgers or Mets sometime during the season.

sox1970
01-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I don't want the Sox to sign Colon. If they do, hopefully it's just as a minor league invite to spring training. If another team offers a major league contract, he should take it.

Taliesinrk
01-16-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't want the Sox to sign Colon. If they do, hopefully it's just as a minor league invite to spring training. If another team offers a major league contract, he should take it.

reasons?

BeeBeeRichard
01-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Buying in bulk at Costco could help him out if he's on an incentive-laden contract. Maybe we could throw in an Executive Membership?

Zisk77
01-16-2008, 12:37 PM
reasons?

Fear of food shortages....and then missing children. get in my belly!:D:

sox1970
01-16-2008, 12:40 PM
reasons?

Pretty obvious one--2+ years of not being able to stay healthy.

I'd like the Sox to stay with the plan, and see what Danks and Floyd can do. If one of them really sucks, then I'd like to see what Egbert or Broadway can do.

pdimas
01-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Just heard on ESPN 1000 that Bruce Levine reported that they were just looking at Colon but that no contract had been offered yet....

Taliesinrk
01-16-2008, 12:52 PM

I'd like the Sox to stay with the plan, and see what Danks and Floyd can do. If one of them really sucks, then I'd like to see what Egbert or Broadway can do.

2+?? I can't see any team going for 3 or more. Further, it's not like the Sox don't have the money/ have someone else to spend it with. And incentive-laden deal here only makes a world of sense for the Sox. You can take it easy with the 3 (or 4) w/ Danks, Floyd, Colon and possibly Contreras to help ensure their health. The 4th can rotate in & out of the bullpen or 15-day DL. It's not like we'd be stuck with him - it'd be a relatively cheap contract and not for that long. I want to see what Danks and Floyd can do as well, but I think we will regardless of whether or not the Sox sign Colon.

kittle42
01-16-2008, 12:53 PM

Colon would have absolutely no more impact on Contreras than he would anyone else on the roster.

And the above is pretty atrocious.

rookieroy
01-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Sign him. It will not hurt us. I don't think KW needs to sign him for as much as Voodoo thinks. KW has a good track record of doing these type of signings, as long as you ignore David Wells. :smile:

soltrain21
01-16-2008, 01:09 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/FamilyGuyHerbert.jpg
"Get your fat ass back here."

EMachine10
01-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Why not? It could be high risk, high reward. It could pay off huge for us if he stays fairly healthy and pitches well, and if he's a bust, I don't think it's such a big deal. We wouldn't have given anybody up for him...we'd be back where we started at if we didn't have him. Who else are we gonna spend the leftover dough on?

Sure, he's had his injury trouble the past few years, but even somebody who's played 162 games for 8 years in a row could tweak an elbow and then he's a "bust," even though everybody considered him a "safe" signing from an injury standpoint.

Kenny could have landed everybody's golden boy, Torii Hunter, and he could have had the same chances of getting hurt that Colon has.

At this point, it's not like we're choosing the guy coming off an injury over a healthy young guy. I think the rewards outweigh the risk. We'd lose a few bucks, but not a young player or something like that.

Just my two cents.

MushMouth
01-16-2008, 01:14 PM
This is all about the contract. I don't think it can be a bad thing unless we guarantee too much on the deal. Otherwise, I'd love to have an ex-cy young winner. Sometimes rebound relationships are the best.

jcw218
01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
2+?? I can't see any team going for 3 or more. Further, it's not like the Sox don't have the money/ have someone else to spend it with. And incentive-laden deal here only makes a world of sense for the Sox. You can take it easy with the 3 (or 4) w/ Danks, Floyd, Colon and possibly Contreras to help ensure their health. The 4th can rotate in & out of the bullpen or 15-day DL. It's not like we'd be stuck with him - it'd be a relatively cheap contract and not for that long. I want to see what Danks and Floyd can do as well, but I think we will regardless of whether or not the Sox sign Colon.

I think that sox1970 was referring to the fact that Colon has not been healthy for the last two seasons and not the length of contract that would/should be offered

JUribe1989
01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
What could it hurt? We haven't spent the money I thought we'd spend this offseason, and Colon can't be too expensive. 2 years removed from a Cy Young, how bad could it be?

Chilli Palmer
01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
If it keeps Floyd out of the rotation I am all for it.

btrain929
01-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Why not? It could be high risk, high reward. It could pay off huge for us if he stays fairly healthy and pitches well, and if he's a bust, I don't think it's such a big deal. We wouldn't have given anybody up for him...we'd be back where we started at if we didn't have him. Who else are we gonna spend the leftover dough on?

Sure, he's had his injury trouble the past few years, but even somebody who's played 162 games for 8 years in a row could tweak an elbow and then he's a "bust," even though everybody considered him a "safe" signing from an injury standpoint.

Kenny could have landed everybody's golden boy, Torii Hunter, and he could of had the same chances of getting hurt that Colon has.

At this point, it's not like we're choosing the guy coming off an injury over a healthy young guy. I think the rewards outweigh the risk. We'd lose a few bucks, but not a young player or something like that.

Just my two cents.

Hopefully a 3 year extension of Orlando Cabrera...

rowand33
01-16-2008, 01:57 PM
God, I hope so

Taliesinrk
01-16-2008, 02:07 PM
I think that sox1970 was referring to the fact that Colon has not been healthy for the last two seasons and not the length of contract that would/should be offered

sorry... long month..

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-16-2008, 02:09 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/FamilyGuyHerbert.jpg
"Get your fat ass back here."

ROFL!!

mjmcend
01-16-2008, 02:14 PM

Kenny could have landed everybody's golden boy, Torii Hunter, and he could have had the same chances of getting hurt that Colon has.

Just my two cents.

That would be low risk, high reward. And I agree, unless you are a kid of one of the sox owners, and want to inherit every dollar you can, there is no downside to a one-year deal.

mjmcend
01-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Hopefully a 3 year extension of Orlando Cabrera...

But signing Colon this year shouldn't have an impact on the payroll in 2009 and beyond.

skottyj242
01-16-2008, 02:21 PM
If it keeps Floyd out of the rotation I am all for it.

So you would rather have him wasting a bullpen spot? :?:

Chilli Palmer
01-16-2008, 02:29 PM
So you would rather have him wasting a bullpen spot? :?:

I would rather he was no longer on the team. That should clear it up.

Lip Man 1
01-16-2008, 02:30 PM
I'd rather he pitch like one of the ten or eleven bests guys and head north. If he doesn't, let him go.

My concern with Floyd, Aardsma and Massett is that because they are out of options the Sox may make a decision based on that fact as opposed to the facts that should be paramount, namely are they the best options available.

I don't think the Sox will do this, I certainly hope not but the 'option' issue and the resulting PR / media opinions could play a factor...and that would be bad for all concerned.

Lip

btrain929
01-16-2008, 02:44 PM
But signing Colon this year shouldn't have an impact on the payroll in 2009 and beyond.

You're right, it won't. We can sign Colon and still give OCab an extension in my opinion. I think OCab will wait til around the All-Star break to see how this team contends. If we're cellar dwellars again, he might go for free agency.

EMel9281
01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I think bringing in Colon does not clear up any uncertainty, however, it provides another viable option as far as the pitching staff is concerned. Hopefully, if the Sox sign him, he won't break the bank...unless he sits on it!

eriqjaffe
01-16-2008, 02:50 PM
:uribe:
"Maybe people will finally stop calling me fat!"

hi im skot
01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
You're right, it won't. We can sign Colon and still give OCab an extension in my opinion. I think OCab will wait til around the All-Star break to see how this team contends. If we're cellar dwellars again, he might go for free agency.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/dumbyankfanws6.gif

skottyj242
01-16-2008, 03:03 PM

http://m1.cdn.spikedhumor.com/1/134986_goth_1_vw.jpg (http://www.spikedhumor.com/article.aspx?id=134991)

BridgePortNative
01-16-2008, 03:06 PM
http://m1.cdn.spikedhumor.com/1/134986_goth_1_vw.jpg (http://www.spikedhumor.com/article.aspx?id=134991)

:rolling:
he sure is gettin' a kick outta that hula hoop! :redneck

skottyj242
01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j146/sschaaf/dumbyankfanws6.gif

Is that guy punching that guy?

spawn
01-16-2008, 03:07 PM
I still don't get why people are so down on Floyd while at the same time have nothing bad to say about Danks. Danks started off well and faltered down the stretch. Floyd started badly but pitched well down the stretch. Both have the same problem IMO: when they fall behind in the count, they're very hittable, as neither has dominating stuff. :dunno:

cburns
01-16-2008, 04:13 PM
I still don't get why people are so down on Floyd while at the same time have nothing bad to say about Danks.

I think it is the fact that last year Danks was a rookie while Floyd has been around a few years and was pretty crappy with the Phillies. So it is easier to give Danks the benefit of the doubt that he will improve next year, whereas Floyd has a track record of being not good.

spawn
01-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I think it is the fact that last year Danks was a rookie while Floyd has been around a few years and was pretty crappy with the Phillies. So it is easier to give Danks the benefit of the doubt that he will improve next year, whereas Floyd has a track record of being not good.
Here's the funny thing...Floyd has only pitched in 14 more games than Danks, and has only started 3 more games. He may have been around for a few more years, but wasn't given the oppurtunity in Philly that Danks received here. I could be an idiot (and my wife would agree), but for me, the jury is still out on Floyd.

Frater Perdurabo
01-16-2008, 04:58 PM
The goal of any season is to win a World Series.

Teams with crappy pitching simply can't win the World Series because they won't make the playoffs.

Anything done to strengthen the starting rotation is fine with me. If Colon competes with Danks and Floyd, the loser among the three (or even Contreras) goes into the pen, and the weakest reliever gets cut or goes to Charlotte. This would make the starting rotation and the bullpen STRONGER, which would make it more likely that the Sox can compete for a playoff spot.

The Thomenator
01-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Teams with crappy pitching simply can't win the World Series because they won't make the playoffs.

Anything done to strengthen the starting rotation is fine with me. If Colon competes with Danks and Floyd, the loser among the three (or even Contreras) goes into the pen, and the weakest reliever gets cut or goes to Charlotte. This would make the starting rotation and the bullpen STRONGER, which would make it more likely that the Sox can compete for a playoff spot.

Amen brother.

Competition = Good Thing

Walker29
01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Bruce Levine reported earlier this morning on espn1000's Waddle and Silvy show that Coop is down in Venezuela with Ozzie and taking a look at Bartolo Colon. With the Cubs bringing back Leiber, any chance the Sox are looking to recapture the magical season of 2003...damn we should have won the division that year.

BRDSR
01-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Hopefully, if the Sox sign him, he won't break the bank...unless he sits on it!

Oh man...that is SUCH a bad joke...I laughed. :redface:

veeter
01-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Old news my man. Check WTS.

JB98
01-16-2008, 05:37 PM

I agree completely, and adding another veteran starter would help fortify us in the case of injury. If any of the five guys currently penciled into the rotation goes down, I feel we would be in big trouble. Hell, I'm not real confident the five we have are strong enough as it is.

I feel reasonably good about our lineup at this stage. The pitching staff, not so much. We need some people to step up.

eastchicagosoxfan
01-16-2008, 05:54 PM
It doesn't hurt to kick the fat tires.

getonbckthr
01-16-2008, 06:00 PM
If he has a good season and we suck we trade him at the deadline. Good season and the Sox are good who knows wht happens. He's bad he's gone in October.

misty60481
01-16-2008, 06:01 PM
If hes throwing 90+ why arent any other teams looking at him especially it seems everybody is looking for starting pitching. Do you think KW would get in a bidding war for him ?

jcw218
01-16-2008, 06:25 PM
If hes throwing 90+ why arent any other teams looking at him especially it seems everybody is looking for starting pitching. Do you think KW would get in a bidding war for him ?

I do not think that KW gets into a bidding war for Colon's services.

JB98
01-16-2008, 07:01 PM

Colon is used to making a lot of money, and he probably doesn't realize he's not going to get that kind of coin anymore. The longer GMs wait, the more the price comes down.

The guy is coming off a couple injury-prone years. I seriously doubt there will be a bidding war. Just a few teams willing to take a flier, probably incentive-laden deals.

santo=dorf
01-16-2008, 07:02 PM
I'd rather he pitch like one of the ten or eleven bests guys and head north. If he doesn't, let him go.

My concern with Floyd, Aardsma and Massett is that because they are out of options the Sox may make a decision based on that fact as opposed to the facts that should be paramount, namely are they the best options available.

I share the same feelings and it really gives me the chills when I see someone say "Player X (Massett, Floyd, Aardsma) should be/have to be on the roster on opening day because he is out of options."

If he sucks, dump him.

chisoxmike
01-16-2008, 07:07 PM
any chance the Sox are looking to recapture the magical season of 2003...damn we should have won the division that year.

I wouldn't call the Sox 2003 season "magical" by any means.

JB98
01-16-2008, 07:23 PM

I agree. An 86-win season is only "magical" on the other side of town. (See 2003, 2007)

santo=dorf
01-16-2008, 07:32 PM
They were 41-27 in the second half, after making a few great trades. That .603 winning % translates to a 98 win season over 162 games. I remember about a week after whooping the Yankees' ass in the stadium (even after the Cotts/Wright debacle) Harold Reynolds calling them the best team in the AL.

peeonwrigley
01-16-2008, 07:47 PM
I do not think that KW gets into a bidding war for Colon's services.

How else are we going to spend the money in 2008? Not much left out there as far as FA go.

If he wants him, I think he'll put in a fair bid - I'm just not convinced KW wants him.

Grzegorz
01-17-2008, 04:56 AM
How else are we going to spend the money in 2008? Not much left out there as far as FA go.

If he wants him, I think he'll put in a fair bid - I'm just not convinced KW wants him.

The goal isn't who spends the most money but who spends it most wisely. If Colon shows something and is in respectable shape then sign him at a common sense price.

Judging his performance over a few games in Venezuela does not give anyone any insight as to how he'll hold up over a one hundred and sixty-two game season.

This is especially true about Colon because he doesn't appear to believe in cardiovascular conditioning.

Caveat emptor...

SBSoxFan
01-17-2008, 07:34 AM
This is especially true about Colon because he doesn't appear to believe in cardiovascular conditioning.

Caveat emptor...

Neither did Steve Carlton.

PalehosePlanet
01-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Neither did Steve Carlton.

Carlton never had weight issues. Maybe if he weighed 300 lbs. he would have.

Foulke You
01-17-2008, 01:48 PM
The Mets were reportedly down in the Dominican scouting him as well.

Gavin
01-17-2008, 01:57 PM
If Colon shows something and is in respectable shape then sign him at a common sense price.

Huh? If only it was that easy to be a GM.

SBSoxFan
01-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Carlton never had weight issues. Maybe if he weighed 300 lbs. he would have.

Weight issue, cardiovascular issues, whatever. Nothing seemed to affect his stamina. From 1998 - 2005, he threw 200+ innings in 7 of those 8 years. Could he have been even better then or not gotten hurt the last 2 seasons if he was in better shape? Quite possibly. Plus, at his age he does need to be in better shape to perform. Heck, the same thing's true of Mark Buehrle.