PDA

View Full Version : Granderson inducted into UIC HOF

Oblong
01-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Ok, gotta brag but it's a local thing for you in a way. Besides, it's Curtis Granderson. To paraphrase Sparky Anderson... "if you don't love Curtis Granderson then you don't love ice cream." :redneck

http://media.www.chicagoflame.com/media/storage/paper519/news/2008/01/14/Sports/Sport.Briefs-3151525.shtml

Granderson, fellow UIC baseball player Ron Christopher, women's basketball star Penny Armstrong, acclaimed gymnast Roger Wojtkiewicz and track-and-field standout Liz Crowder will be honored at the 2008 Reunion and Hall of Fame Banquet on Friday, Jan. 18 at The Carlisle in Lombard, Ill.

spawn
01-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Don't feel bad about this. I think most would agree that Granderson is a class act. I'm happy for him.

FarWestChicago
01-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Don't feel bad about this. I think most would agree that Granderson is a class act. I'm happy for him.Absolutely. :thumbsup:

batmanZoSo
01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
He grew up right in my back yard. I mean literally. He was raised by raccoons.

As for the HOF thing, I don't particularly care. UIC? Come on..

Lorenzo Barcelo
01-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Don't feel bad about this. I think most would agree that Granderson is a class act. I'm happy for him.

He is a class act. Sometime this semester he's coming to speak to our class at UIC.

kraut83
01-16-2008, 09:03 AM
I don't know how active he is in Chicago, but I know he does a lot of great things for the community in Detroit.

He really seems to appreciate the privledge of getting paid to play a game.

Oblong
01-16-2008, 09:33 AM
He's got a foundation called Grandkids and he's holding a fundraiser basketball game at a big HS gym next weekend. A bunch of local retired pro and olympic athletes who are linked to the area will play. Thankfully he's not playing, no torn ACL!. But he will have a 3 point contest with Nate Robertson at halftime. What I like is that tickets are only $15 and you can get an autograph ticket for $10 which will get you all the participants. Rasheed Wallace and Dontrelle Willis are also going to be there and included in that price. And what I really like is that they'll only sign material provided at the show (probably has a foundation logo on it), with the exception being if you ask for it to be personalized then they'll sign anything. So no merchandising autograph hounds can take advantage and get in everybody's way who just want to meet the guys. His publicist told me that pro athletes actually like it when people ask for autogrpahs to be personalized, that way they know it's for the person and not going to be sold.

I'm glad to hear that he's active in Chicago too. I believe he still lives there in the off season.

johnr1note
01-16-2008, 09:40 AM
He's got a foundation called Grandkids and he's holding a fundraiser basketball game at a big HS gym next weekend. A bunch of local retired pro and olympic athletes who are linked to the area will play. Thankfully he's not playing, no torn ACL!. But he will have a 3 point contest with Nate Robertson at halftime. What I like is that tickets are only $15 and you can get an autograph ticket for $10 which will get you all the participants. Rasheed Wallace and Dontrelle Willis are also going to be there and included in that price. And what I really like is that they'll only sign material provided at the show (probably has a foundation logo on it), with the exception being if you ask for it to be personalized then they'll sign anything. So no merchandising autograph hounds can take advantage and get in everybody's way who just want to meet the guys. His publicist told me that pro athletes actually like it when people ask for autogrpahs to be personalized, that way they know it's for the person and not going to be sold.

I'm glad to hear that he's active in Chicago too. I believe he still lives there in the off season.

In the interviews I've seen with Granderson, he strikes me as being genuine, humble, and grateful to be a major league baseball player. I agree -- he's classy.

Rockin Robin
01-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Curtis Granderson is my favorite non Sox player. I hope we make a play for him someday.