PDA

View Full Version : Some Konerko Dodgers Baseball Cards

Brian26
01-14-2008, 11:53 PM
I got these in the mail today. PK was a jack of all trades in the LA system. The cards are from the mid 90s. Note the bottom two cards and top right card, as PK is wearing the tools of ignorance. Middle card has PK at the hot corner. Center right card has PK at firstbase (although it could be third based on the fence behind him, but it looks like he's wearing a 1B's mitt).

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/brian2653/White%20Sox%20Stuff/konerkopics002.jpg

RowanDye
01-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Konerko to 3B and Fields plays 1B?

DumpJerry
01-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Konerko to 3B and Fields plays 1B?
Even though that is in teal, you will touch off a 5,000 post fury about the issue which will not say anything which has not been said before on WSI on the subject.

March 31st can't get here fast enough!

RowanDye
01-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Even though that is in teal, you will touch off a 5,000 post fury about the issue which will not say anything which has not been said before on WSI on the subject.

March 31st can't get here fast enough!

The sad part is that I would probably rather read those 5,000 posts than any of those about the 10 non-roster invitees or flavor-of-week trade proposal.

WhiteSox5187
01-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Konerko was brought up to be a catcher, wasn't he? He worked under Soscia with the Dodgers system, the problem was he was an awful fielder so they kept trying to find a spot for him, he played OF with the Reds. To his credit he worked very very hard to improve on his D and now he is one of the best all around first basemen in the majors.

itsnotrequired
01-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Konerko was brought up to be a catcher, wasn't he? He worked under Soscia with the Dodgers system, the problem was he was an awful fielder so they kept trying to find a spot for him, he played OF with the Reds. To his credit he worked very very hard to improve on his D and now he is one of the best all around first basemen in the majors.

I believe he played quite a bit of catcher in the low minors and one day the coaching staff said something like "if you want to get promoted, you need to get out from behind the plate". The move was made and as they say, the rest is water over the bridge.

DumpJerry
01-15-2008, 07:44 AM

I believe he played quite a bit of catcher in the low minors and one day the coaching staff said something like "if you want to get promoted, you need to get out from behind the plate". The move was made and as they say, the rest is water over the bridge.
Scioscia is the one who suggested he play First because there was a logjam at Catcher in the Dodgers' system.

I'm sure Scioscia was happy he gave that advice in the 2005 ALCS.

esbrechtel
01-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Often times many catchers who are expected to be good hitters are moved to 1b to lengthen their careers...it is less hard on the knees...

Frontman
01-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Scioscia is the one who suggested he play First because there was a logjam at Catcher in the Dodgers' system.

I'm sure Scioscia was happy he gave that advice in the 2005 ALCS.

Considering that it could of been Paulie could of gotten the dropped 3rd strike? Heck, he could of taken off, the ball could of been rolled to the mound, and an Angel still could of gotten it and thrown him out!

All kidding aside, I just shake my head that anyone thought with Konerko's build that he would make a good catcher. He just isn't built for the position.

Frater Perdurabo
01-15-2008, 08:46 AM
Often times many catchers who are expected to be good hitters are moved to 1b to lengthen their careers...it is less hard on the knees...

This doesn't make sense. First base is the most difficult position to play! :tongue:

EMel9281
01-15-2008, 10:13 AM
When the Sox originally obtained PK, didn't he start out at 3B for us, and then eventually transitioned over to 1B?

SBSoxFan
01-15-2008, 10:43 AM
When the Sox originally obtained PK, didn't he start out at 3B for us, and then eventually transitioned over to 1B?

He was blocked by Jeff Leifer.

Frater Perdurabo
01-15-2008, 11:05 AM

After 1998, the Sox made it clear they would not pay market rate to retain Robin Ventura. They gave a low-ball offer as a courtesy, but had no intention of retaining him. (On Dec. 1, Ventura signed with the Mets.)

On Nov. 11, 1998, Ron Schueler sent Mike Cameron to the Reds for Konerko. To pacify Sox fans angry about the impending departure of fan favorite Ventura (little more than a year after the White Flag deal), Schueler said Konerko would be able to play third and therefore would help replace Ventura's production.

In 1997 PK played one game at 3B for the Dodgers and in 1998 played 20 games at 3B (11 for the Dodgers, nine for the Reds). For the Sox, he played one game at 3B in 1999 (92 at 1B and 54 at DH) and seven in 2000 (122 at 1B and 7 at DH).

So it's really not accurate to say that PK started out playing 3B for the Sox (in fact, in his regular season debut with this Sox, Paulie was the DH!). Greg Norton was the regular 3B for the Sox in 1999.

downstairs
01-15-2008, 01:49 PM
Here he is with the Reds:

http://www.jockbio.com/Bios/Casey/Casey_Images/Casey.Bio.04.gif

HITMEN OF 77
01-15-2008, 02:25 PM
I saw PK play here locally for the Yakima Bears in the mid 90's. I even got a Yakima Bears PK bobble head nodder.

batmanZoSo
01-15-2008, 02:26 PM

Mike Sweeney was a catcher with KC until he started hitting the hell out of the ball.

esbrechtel
01-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Mike Sweeney was a catcher with KC until he started hitting the hell out of the ball.
I have heard lots of rumblings about Mauer possibly switching to 1B within the next few seasons as well....

salty99
01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
I have heard lots of rumblings about Mauer possibly switching to 1B within the next few seasons as well....

I wouldn't doubt it with all the injuries he's had the past couple seasons.

guillen4life13
01-15-2008, 07:49 PM
Wasn't PK moved due to a degenerative hip condition in addition to be blocked by Piazza at catcher in the L.A. system?

getonbckthr
01-15-2008, 08:10 PM
This sucks
:gene:

Brian26
01-15-2008, 08:14 PM
For the Sox, he played one game at 3B in 1999 (92 at 1B and 54 at DH) and seven in 2000 (122 at 1B and 7 at DH).

Jerry Manual had his heart set on playing Konerko at 3B to begin the 2000 season. If you go back and look at some of the lineups, there were even some games where Konerko played 3B and Greg Norton was at 1B. :o:

whitesoxwilkes
01-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Wasn't PK moved due to a degenerative hip condition in addition to be blocked by Piazza at catcher in the L.A. system?

Ahh yes, the old Konerko hip dysplatia rumors. Haven't heard those in a while.