PDA

View Full Version : Do You Remember the Moment You Became a White Sox Fan?

TomBradley72
01-14-2008, 05:05 PM
For me...my first White Sox game...a night game in 1971...Carlos May hit a HR off the right field upper deck facade...the scoreboard exploded...and I was hooked.
I even thought the astroturf infield was cool...but that wore off quickly. :cool:

soxfan21
01-14-2008, 05:11 PM
I always thought that I was a sox fan since I came out of the womb, but the first time that I actually knew that I was a true fan was when I went to my first game, which was in 1989 at old comiskey against the blue jays. I took in everything, the smells, the loud crowd, it was just amazing to me. I went to the game with my dad, mom, and sister. From then on I was just hooked.

Frontman
01-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Does in vitro count?

:wink:

I can't recall, but growing up in Bridgeport; I think it just became ingrained.

I do recall my first experience with swearing. It was at a Sox game, when there was a runner on first, the Sox were up to bat, one out. The batter (can't remember who) just crushed a ball to right; is trying to leg out a triple. The runner on first STOPPED at third, and when the batter came into third, pops up from his slide, only then does he realize there's two runners on the same back. HE SHAKES HANDS WITH THE LEAD RUNNER, then takes off back for second.

In the meantime, the runner on third breaks for home about the time they tag out the runner returning to second; and of course gets tagged out at the plate.

This was in the mid 70's.

North Sox Sider
01-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I became a fantantic when Harry Carey announced my name on Television at a Sox game that was being played in KC. My dad had a promotional lunch with him the day before and asked Harry if he would say hello to me on the air. I was about 6 or 7, I believe. It was one of the earliest moments that I can remember and will never forget.

MDF3530
01-14-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm sure a thread of this ilk has been posted before, but I'm too lazy to search for it.

OK, it was the summer of 1983 for me. My dad took me to my first baseball game. Harold Baines hit a grand slam against the Tigers.

PicktoCLick72
01-14-2008, 05:16 PM
11:08 on February 24th 1985

MarySwiss
01-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Does in vitro count?

:wink:

I can't recall, but growing up in Bridgeport; I think it just became ingrained.

That describes me as well. I have always been a Sox fan; anything else would just be wrong.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-14-2008, 05:23 PM
I grew up on the South Side. I was about 12 years old and my grandfather picked me up after religious school on a beautiful April morning. (Our temple is directly across from where Barak Obama's house in Hyde Park is now.) We were walking toward the car and talking about sports teams and who I liked. I told him I liked the Green Bay Packers, New York Yankees, University of Michigan football team, University of Notre Dame, etc. I did not like any Chicago teams.

My grandfather told me I had to pick at least one Chicago team to root for, and since it was the start of the baseball season, he told me to pick a Chicago baseball team, the Sox or the Cubs. He noted that we lived on the South Side, so how about rooting for the Sox? So I said, Okay, the Sox it is.

I have been a die-hard Sox fan ever since, particularly because it also reminds me of my grandfather, who I loved so much. When the Sox lost 102 games one year, I watched every one that was on TV, knowing they were only one player or so away from the World Series (they weren't, but I have strong faith in the Sox no matter how bad it may look to someone else).

The Sox are the only Chicago team I ever really followed, though I do find myself following the Bulls and Bears now since I no longer live in Chicago. (I'm a big fan of UK basketball since I live in Lexington.)

LITTLE NELL
01-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Born at 14th and Michigan in 1946, both mother and fathers families were White Sox fans so it started at birth. Its hard to explain to some people how much this team means to me. The Sox are the only team that Ive followed with a passion (Blackhawks back in the 60s were close).

voodoochile
01-14-2008, 05:52 PM
End of the 1979 season when the flubbies finished 5th and I said, "**** THIS! THERE IS NOTHING LOVABLE ABOUT LOSING!" 1983 kind of cemented the deal for me.

johnr1note
01-14-2008, 06:06 PM
I was born Sept. 19, 1959. St. Joe's Hospital, South Side of Chicago. My mother was still in the hospital with me the evening of Sept. 21, 1959, when the White Sox clinched the pennant and the Mayor ordered the fire sirens to be set off. My mother thought the world was coming to an end. So I came into the world to the sound of screaming sirens celebrating White Sox glory.

I first realized it for sure sometime in the summer of 1968, when I was 9 years old and everyone was so excited about the White Sox.

DSpivack
01-14-2008, 06:21 PM
I was born Sept. 19, 1959. St. Joe's Hospital, South Side of Chicago. My mother was still in the hospital with me the evening of Sept. 21, 1959, when the White Sox clinched the pennant and the Mayor ordered the fire sirens to be set off. My mother thought the world was coming to an end. So I came into the world to the sound of screaming sirens celebrating White Sox glory.

I first realized it for sure sometime in the summer of 1968, when I was 6 years old and everyone was so excited about the White Sox.

:?::redneck

My family was almost all Cub fans. They took me to Wrigley when I was really little a lot, my cousin would take me out in the bleachers and what not, this when I was like 5 or 6 or something. My dad did take me once to Old Comiskey, in late summer of the final season; I would've been 6 at the time. I don't know why, but I remember sitting in one of the first rows of the second deck in right field.

Anyways, my dad wasn't a diehard Cub fan, but leaned that way; he grew up going to each ballpark a lot as a kid; although both my parents were from Rogers Park. When did I choose? My dad took me to one of the playoff games in 1993, still have a ticket stub. I thought, as a 9 year old, that night much more exciting and a better atmosphere than anything that could happen with the other Chicago team. Plus the Sox were much better, cooler, had better coolers, and had one of baseball's best stars at the time.

chisoxfanatic
01-14-2008, 07:21 PM
After seeing a photo of one of the most famous players in Sox history, I decided to tune in to a game. Since nobody else in the immediate family was into sports, I took this on by myself. After watching a bit of a game in 1990 (the Sox won), I was hooked. The player who's photo I saw--Frank Thomas. I do recall watching a bit of Sox baseball in the late 80's when my oldest cousin, a die-hard Sox fan, would have the game on at their house in Wheaton. But, it became personal for me after seeing Frank Thomas. The Sox were MY team and will continue being my team forever.

nccwsfan
01-14-2008, 07:34 PM
In 1979 I went to my first White Sox game in Milwaukee, dressed in the classic late 70's uni and hat. Claudell Washington went out of his way before the game to sign my program- right before the game and well after the proper time to sign autographs. That and watching them trounce the Brewers sealed the deal for me. After 1983 I signed the lifetime contract of loyalty...

Brian26
01-14-2008, 07:50 PM
End of the 1979 season when the flubbies finished 5th and I said, "**** THIS! THERE IS NOTHING LOVABLE ABOUT LOSING!" 1983 kind of cemented the deal for me.

We have similar stories. I was a Cubs fan through 1980, mostly because I was a big Dave Kingman fan. I remember coming home from school, watching Bozo, followed by Jack Brickhouse and the Leadoff Man on WGN.

To begin the 1981 season, the Flubs went on a horrific losing streak, something like 12 or 13 games in a row (in fact, I just checked retrosheet- it was a 12 game losing streak, and they began the season 1-13). At the same time, there was tons of excitement about the White Sox. They had new owners, had just signed Luzinski and Fisk, and they were starting to win. I must have made the switch around April 25 of 1981. I remember I received a brand new White Sox hat for my 9th birthday in May of '81.

batmanZoSo
01-14-2008, 07:56 PM
The day Alvarez threw his no hitter in 1991. It was the first Sox game I ever watched on TV. I was mostly a Cub fan because of family influence, but then that followed by my first new Comiskey game in '92 which was a 19-11 win against Minnesota sealed it.

chisoxfanatic
01-14-2008, 08:02 PM
To begin the 1981 season, the Flubs went on a horrific winning streak, something like 12 or 13 games in a row (in fact, I just checked retrosheet- it was a 12 game losing streak, and they began the season 1-13).
:?::tongue:

Brian26
01-14-2008, 08:06 PM
:?::tongue:

Oops, nice catch. I fixed it. :D:

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Being able to take the bus to Comiskey from my house at 72nd and Honore, to a 4 year old, was the coolest thing in the world. When we moved to Evergreen Park and we still went to Sox games(on the bus and with the annual altar boy outings), was also great.

I remember the Tecate Light sponsor night; there were 20 of us, all 6-8th graders, our priest chaperone (Fr. Walsh - coolest man on earth) finnagling the Andy Frain usher out of 20 hats for us - all us boys sitting in the 1st 2 rows, right field upper deck corner, with those free Tecate hats...thinking we were royalty.

Meeting Chet Lemon at the auto show in 1980 cemented it for me.

Brian26
01-14-2008, 08:08 PM
The day Alvarez threw his no hitter in 1991.

Alvarez should still be thanking One Dog and Kark.

LongLiveFisk
01-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Sometime during the Summer of '77 (wish I could remember the exact date but I was only 6 :D:) when I got to see the fireworks from my 2nd floor window at 19th & May St. I remember one game when Claudell Washington hit 3 homers (I think it was 3 anyway). My brothers, my sister, and I all used to race each other to the window after a home run.

What a great memory that is. Ahh, the good old days. :smile:

gamblinkenny
01-14-2008, 09:02 PM
when i moved to chicago in the spring of 1990 (i was 7), i saw the big hurt hit a couple doubles and a bomb in one game...that was it

Sox
01-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Since the days of Dick Allen, Bill Melton, Wilbur Wood, Harold Baines, Carlton Fisk...........My Grandfather is the one that turned me onto the White Sox. He was perhaps the biggest White Sox fan I knew in our town and in the state of Indiana. I remember listening to the broadcast duo of Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall calling the play by play for the Sox. I also loved listening to Nancy Faust on the organ playing the "na na hey hey" goodbye song.
Definitely brings back memories for me anyway. :bandance::bandance::bandance:

eriqjaffe
01-14-2008, 10:19 PM
I grew up a Sox fan, and went to games all the time with my dad at Old Comiskey. The earliest I can pinpoint was June 20, 1980, since that was the game where Al Cowens charged Ed Farmer. I know I went to games before then, but I don't have any specific memories of them. In particular, I remember sitting in the front row on the first base side behind the tarp, and Mike Squires came this close to me while making a play on a foul ball.

thomas35forever
01-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Midway through the 1996 season when I saw the Sox were doing better than the Cubs. Sadly, it was another few years before I got cable, so the number of Cubs games I saw on TV was greatly outnumbered.

It was also during that summer when I discovered my dad's copy of "Goodbye Old Friend." I read that book a lot leading up to my first game that September.

manders_01
01-14-2008, 11:09 PM
My dad is a diehard and he raised me to be one as well. He did a good job, huh? :redneck

soxfan26
01-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Standing on my seat at Old Comiskey on September 16, 1983, cheering HAROLD! HAROLD! after Baines hit a homerun. I could feel the earth moving under me and to this day I've never been in place so electrified.

The Sox clinched the AL West the next night as I watched on TV. The 1983 season was the first one I can remember clearly.

soltrain21
01-15-2008, 12:46 AM
My dad grew up as a Sox fan, but it didn't hit me until I was 9 years old. My dad took my brother and I on a train to Kansas City and we stayed in the same hotel as the '93 Sox. Meeting Ventura sealed the deal.

Come to think of it, I met everybody but Frank Thomas that weekend. I ate dinner with Charlie Huff. Ha.

Bucky F. Dent
01-15-2008, 09:14 AM
My Dad & I started going to Sox games as early as I can remember, and that's simply always the way that it has been.

Law11
01-15-2008, 10:09 AM
the moment was 1/11/69... The doctor slapped my butt at birth and dad declared me a Sox fan.

skottyj242
01-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Pretty much since I was born. My earliest memory was getting pumped for the All-Star game in 83 and being asleep like three pitches in.

ChicagoHoosier
01-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I grew up in Indy, so I was a Reds fan. Most of my friends liked the Cubs since they were on TV, but I liked the Reds because of the Indianapolis Indians being their AAA team.

Moved here in 94 and was able to follow and root for the Sox because there was no direct conflict (no interleague play yet). The strike immediately happened, so I was slightly put off for the next year.

Started to gain steam in 96, then in 1997 interleague play began and the Sox played the Reds. I felt myself rooting for the Sox, not the Reds. So, I think I can say I realized I was then truly a Sox fan.

Followed them, loved the 2000 summer, many disappointments after that. Didn't become a die-hard until the winter of 04/05. I joined WSI. I signed up for an Ozzie package. I really liked the signing of AJ, and just road the wave. And what a wave it was.

SOXPHILE
01-15-2008, 11:52 AM
When I was born at 3:15 A.M. on 8/17/70, my Sox fan dad was in the waiting room, and couldn't get an answer from the nurses if I was a boy or a girl. When he went in to see my (Cub fan) mom, he asked her what I was. She said : "You have a Sox fan".

areilly
01-15-2008, 12:13 PM
This was actually the subject of one of my first published long-form sports features. The magazine doesn't exist anymore, but it was fun sending it to the aunt named therein:

August 20, 1992: Ranger 6, Sox 1 (http://andrewreilly.org/?page_id=108)

Jurr
01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I sincerely feel that discovering my fandom was like discovering the fact that I'm a lefty. It just kinda happened from birth.

raven1
01-15-2008, 12:59 PM
I've been a fan as long as I can remember, but I initially rooted for both the Sox & Cubs equally. The season that caused me to really start favoring the Sox was the 1977 "South Side Hitmen" - it was the most exciting half a season I had seen up to that time. I didn't really sour on the Cubs until the 1980's when the initially hope (or hype?) about the Tribune company and Dallas Green building a real winner instead instead turned into the WGN-fed Wrigley Field tourist trap and institutionalized on-field mediocrity, with real baseball fans displaced by drunked out-of-towners.

KenBerryGrab
01-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I was at Game 1 of the '59 World Series in utero and was born that December.

My first time at the park was in 1966. Dad took me to McCuddy's, where I had a sweet Coke and stood in the front window across from the park. Tommie Agee hit a homer and the place went nuts.

WhiteSoxJunkie
01-15-2008, 02:05 PM
I always had a slight interest in the Sox growing up, but was never a huge fan. I became a die hard during the 2000 season when I was 12. If I had to pick the one moment that did me in during that season it would have to be this: It was a Sunday afternoon game at Yankee Stadium, the last game of the Sox 7-0 road trip sweep through Cleveland and NY. In the top of the 1st inning with the Sox already up 5-0, Jose Valentin hit a grand slam off Orlando Hernandez to make the score 9-0. Watching that ball sail into the stands, I knew this team was going to the playoffs. And I guess that was when I realized what I was getting myself into being a Sox fan.

Nellie_Fox
01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
My earliest recollection of identifying with being a Sox fan was in 1953 or 54, having a "Jungle Jim" Rivera baseball card, picturing him making a "circus catch" (hard to describe verbally, he had his arm over his head, making the catch on the opposite side of his head) at Comiskey, with the open arches visible in the background.

aryzner
01-15-2008, 03:02 PM
I tell everyone it is since birth for me even though I was born on the NW side. My dad is from Orland Park and my mom is from Joliet so they are the reason I am a Sox fan.

My earliest memory of being a Sox fan is probably when I was watching the July 31, 1991 game where Robin Ventura hit that walk-off grand slam. My parents were watching the game with me and people went nuts, so it stands out in my mind. I was only 7 years old at the time.

I have wanted to see that at-bat again for some time but the only time I ever see a small glimpse of it is before games now for that brief instant when they show Frank carrying Robin around and jumping up and down.

soxfanreggie
01-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Like most other Sox fans-since the moment I was conceived. I probably went to 15-20 Sox games in the womb.

ChiSoxPatF
01-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Fantastic thread by the way - its nice to see something upbeat.

I guess I am one of those "since birth" fans. Dad is from NW Indiana and Mom from Cincinnati. When they got engaged my Dad bought my Mom a book on White Sox history and asked that she convert before getting married. In my cradle room, I only had one poster hanging - a 1983 Winning Ugly poster. Being a newborn in '83 must have killed my Dad when he had to stay quiet during the comebacks.

I was always a Sox fan but my earliest memory becoming hooked on baseball was visiting my grandfather in Florida. I was bored with all the "grown up" stuff so I went into my room and the only thing on TV was Baseball Tonight. I was hooked. I stayed up all night (from the beginning of the East Coast games to the end of the West Coast games) watching every update and rooting for the Sox through the updates. They lost and I remember thinking it was the end of the world, crying. My Dad consoled me by telling me there was a game the next day and that there was "always tomorrow." This game was too beautiful to not fall in love with.

veeter
01-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Sitting on my dad's lap, outside on a warm summer night. He had brought out a little black and white t.v. and we sat and watched. I remember Walter Williams running to first and his helmet came off. I was four or five.

soxwon
01-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I dont remember it, but straight from the womb, my dad says,
i pumped my little fist in the air, and garbled "Whi Sox".
So i was born a sox fan.

My first game 1965 vs Yankees.
Been going to the southside for for 43 years.

spawn
01-16-2008, 08:26 AM
Like others here, I don't ever remember not being a Sox fan. I was a "Chicago" fan from the day I started watching sports, but baseball was my favorite. I remember the first game I went to was in '77. The Sox were playing the Twins. I don't remember the particulars (I was 9 going on 10). I just remember being awed by Comiskey Park It was sensory overload. I'd never been in a place that housed so many people at one time. Comiskey was packed. I remember smelling the hot dogs, and the fans being very loud at certain stages of the game.

The funny thing is, I was also a Cubs fan, and I can remember the year I stopped being one: 1983.

TomBradley72
01-16-2008, 08:34 AM

I think this has been the longest, most negative off season for WSI in a long time...I couldn't take it any more. :cool:

soxwon
01-16-2008, 08:42 AM
I think this has been the longest, most negative off season for WSI in a long time...I couldn't take it any more. :cool:

Fabersham- Most negative my beer belly!!!
Its been an incredibly positive off season, the moves we made were
fantastic.
We are back as a contender, and word from Da baseball Gods is, they are really impressed-a.
And have given the go ahead to make plans for a series celebration-a.
Yes these words were uttered to me, on my last spiritual travel to Baseball
Heavens, By the King of Da baseball Gods.
Believe my friendsa, it twill be cometh to Da southside-a.
You gots to believe. All non believers will be bannished to baseball purgatory, until they see da lighta from Da Cell.

Hitmen77
01-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I grew up in a part of town that was solidly for the Cubs (NW suburbs). I don't remember anyone in my neighborhood who was a Sox fan. But my parents didn't follow baseball - so I didn't get any Cubs indoctrination there. As far as friends go when I was very young - I'd say just as many didn't like baseball at all (seemed like alot of the kids loved football, but thought baseball was boring) as were Cub fans. So, I escaped a big Cubs indoctrination there too.

When I was about 7, I remember one of my friends (one of those who didn't like baseball and wasn't a fan of either team), explained to me that the Cubs always lost, but everyone still loved them. Well, I thought that logic sounded pretty ****ing stupid - so it was at that point that I first aligned myself with the White Sox.

It wasn't until a couple of years later - during the fantastic '77 season - that I really started watching Sox games and following them.

Rockin Robin
01-16-2008, 11:28 AM
When Bo Jackson came back from surgery and hit that home run, thats what hooked me for life.

Hitmen77
01-16-2008, 12:29 PM
When Bo Jackson came back from surgery and hit that home run, thats what hooked me for life.

by the way, Bo was in the news this week:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=114177&src=143

Dolanski
01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
October 2005 when the Sox won the World Series. Give it up for the Bandwagon!

Sargeant79
01-16-2008, 04:11 PM
It was about 1990...Frank's rookie season. I was already a big baseball fan as an 11-year old, but I had both Sox and Cubs fans in my family and hadn't declared one or the other by that point; I rooted for all Chicago teams.

But what got me was one of Frank's first major league home runs (I think he had 7 that year after getting called up in mid-summer). I was watching the Sox on tv, and Frank hit a line drive harder than anything I'd ever seen. I doubt the ball made it more than 40 feet into the air but he hit it so hard that it cleared the outfield fence without a problem.

From that point, I became a Frank Thomas fan and as a result, the die-hard Sox fan that I am today.

minutia
01-16-2008, 04:47 PM
The summer of 1983, I like lived at that park. My uncle was a beer vendor and he would get my brother and I in there. All those homeruns, but I think the moment that sealed the deal was in August of that year and Harold Baines hit a grand slam, the first I had ever seen. It was great.

viagracat
01-16-2008, 08:02 PM
My WSI profile says I became a Sox fan at conception. :smile:

I grew up in a Cub house. But when I became old enough to understand baseball, the Cubs sucked and the Sox were pretty good (this would be the mid-1960s). And Brickhouse would be defending these bozos. I thought "There has to be a better way" (honest to God, I distinctly remember thinking this way, even though I was just a little kid) and started listening to Sox games on the radio (Bob Elsen was the radio announcer then) while the rest of the fam would watch the Cubs on our one working TV.

I've been hooked ever since.

Brian26
01-16-2008, 08:29 PM
I grew up in a Cub house. But when I became old enough to understand baseball, the Cubs sucked and the Sox were pretty good (this would be the mid-1960s). And Brickhouse would be defending these bozos.

Brickhouse was doing commentary for both teams at that time.

flo-B-flo
01-16-2008, 09:12 PM
My Dad and a couple of uncles took me to Sox park for a doubleheader against the Twins. I was 7. It's ALWAYS been the Sox. On any given night growing up, the game would be on the radio in 3-4 rooms in the house as well as the garage. Raging line-up, roster, and game strategy arguments were a common thing when my uncles and my Dad got together. Now, I'M the older uncle. And the raging line-up, roster, and strategy yellings continue unabated.

rwcescato
01-17-2008, 02:11 AM
For me...my first White Sox game...a night game in 1971...Carlos May hit a HR off the right field upper deck facade...the scoreboard exploded...and I was hooked.
I even thought the astroturf infield was cool...but that wore off quickly. :cool:

I dont remember my 1st game but i do remeber a coffee cup day with Ed Herman Ron Santo and carlos May on it. Maybe even Stan Bahnson was on it.
:supernana:

rwcescato
01-17-2008, 02:14 AM

I was at that game with my brothers and it was the last game we saw my dad at. He died june 1st that year. It was ashame. He was telling me not to get so excited about that team and they came close to the series that year.

FireMariotti
01-17-2008, 05:15 AM
My uncle made me a fan. He had season tickets from the early 90's until about 2004 and always brought me to games.

I went to my first memorable game at New Comiskey with my uncle when I was four or five, and I kept going with him almost every year after. The biggest things I remember from those games were the outfield concourse and Frank Thomas. Frank was always the star attraction for me. He hit a HR almost every game I went to.

The first game I vividly remember was when Thomas hit a grand slam against the Orioles in 2000. That year hooked me for life.

He seemed to hit one out every time I went to a game. I even went to his first game back with the A's in 2006 when he hit 2 out.

I became I huge Aaron Rowand fan during his tenure here too. Now that he and Frank are gone, I still love the Sox, but I have yet to pick a new favorite player. Hopefully somebody like Nick Swisher can fill that void, but I am not sure.

Thigpen "57"
01-17-2008, 11:18 AM
I remember it was 1986. I was 7, and we had just moved back to the Chicagoland area from St Louis (family was from Chitown, but I was born in Louie). My dad (old school Yankees fan) took me to a Cubs game cause he got free tickets from a co-worker. A week later he took me to Old Comiskey and I was immediately sold!! I can hardly look at the commemorative page we have on this site without breaking some sort of tears.

I just remember being at Wrigley felt like I was at an amusement park, but then my first Sox game felt like an actual baseball game. There was a cloud of smoke that would linger through the park from homerun fireworks, cigars, and cigarettes. The smell of the food, and walking up and down those ramps while looking out thru the arches. I also remeber Ozzie turning a double play that I thought was the coolest thing in the world, and that is when he became my favorite palyer. In fact I give him credit for making me a fan of the Sox and baseball as a sport.

Also, I always loved the walk back to the car with all the street musicians and t-shirts for sale.

That my friends, is when I remember becoming a Sox fan. :smile:

jdm2662
01-17-2008, 12:27 PM
I seriously have no idea how I became a Sox fan. My father wasn't a huge fan of baseball. If he had to chose, he'd pick the Sox, but he never rooted against the Cubs. He just hated Cub fans. My grandfather and one uncle was really into the Sox, but never really influenced me. I also grew up in Hillside. There is no geographical alliance to either side of town, and I knew plenty of both Cub and Sox fan families. I also was too young to get into the 83 Sox or the 84 Cubs. 85 was the first year I really got into sports. Both teams were pretty brutual by then. The Bears had ruled the city during the time, and my family was huge football fans. So, I know why I'm a big football fan today... I just remember watching the Sox that year, and I have no idea why I picked the Sox. I was hooked on the 1990 team, and they were my favorite prior to 2005 of course. When the strike came along, I completely ignored baseball until 99 when I casually watched both teams. I did find it funny the Cubs were getting much more attention and love eventhough both teams were pretty bad that year. The 2000 Sox sealed the deal for me. H

babybull19
01-17-2008, 02:22 PM
It was a rainy night in 81..the strike had just ended, and the Sox were at home playing the Spankees...there was a banner in right field that said " Give Reggie a wedgee!!" It was raining on and off all night, and it was late in the evening, late in the game. Bottom 7th we were tied 1-1. Pudge got up and singled through Willie Randolph( past him...not literally through him). Luzinski came up and belted one to right center....fireworks went off, rain began again....eventually the umps called the game...SOX WIN 3-1. Walked out on cloud 9 with everyone singing Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye!! Been a diehard ever since

SOX IN '08 BABY!!

starboy0
01-17-2008, 02:53 PM
When my grandma gave me my first set of Sox baseball cards in 1960. There was Minnie Minoso, Jim Landis, Al Lopez, Early Wynn and a few others.

turners56
01-17-2008, 08:34 PM
8 years ago...I was 9...guess you know how old I am now :p. I went to my first Sox game, got sucked into baseball (I liked soccer before that) and obviously became a Sox fan. 2000 was the year to get on the bandwagon too :).

geraldfritz
01-17-2008, 11:13 PM
I was pretty much raised from the beginning to be a Sox fan. I was born in 1982, and my family were big White Sox fans, because Ron Kittle grew up a few houses down from where my grandfather lived. I have heard many interesting stories about him when he was younger. Most of which were really funny. My grandfather has known Ron since Kittle was just a wee lad. That pretty much got me hooked from when I was just a baby. Ron is a good man. I still see him every now and then and he always asks how the family is doing. But like I said, ever since I was little, I have always followed the Sox, and Ron still remains my favorite player of all time.

JimRivera
01-17-2008, 11:24 PM
It was August 18, 1963. The Yankees were in town. A hot day, and only $1.50 grandstands were left.
The Sox were swept that day, 8-2 and 8-4. I was hooked. I knew who most of the players were, as my grandparents always blasted Bob Elson out on the Zenith table radio. Oldtimers will recall Bob Elson reading those incessant Zenith commercials. General Finance sponsored the radio broadcasts, too, but my favorite commercial came in 1967, when Red Rush read this commercial:
"Leon's wieners..OH! SO_O_O_O GOOD!"
I never had a Leon's wiener...we lived in eastern Indiana and had Eckrich hot dogs. In Detroit, it was Hygrades' Ballpark Franks. ("They plump when you cook em' ".
At Comiskey, it was some kind of "kosher red hot", wasn't it? Anyone remember the brand?:(:

JimRivera
01-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Too bad you were too young to see Ron blast a roof shot in 1983.
It's been 25 years ago, but I think one Sunday Greg Luzinski as well as Ron hit roof shots. 1983 was so special, my crew went all the time, and the Augsburger :gulp:beer that summer was the best beer ever sold in Comiskey.
A David Berg Corned Beef , an Augie, and those third base line box seats, called "Gold Boxes"...it was special.
Once Ron got stopped on The Skyway going about 100 mph...he said it cost him tickets to the games, and autographs to get out of that one!
Ron was a favorite of many of us...he came from LA as a question mark because of back fusion surgery...and he was great!
He lived in the Gary areas when he played for the Sox, he was truly home.:rolleyes:

Bucky F. Dent
01-18-2008, 06:57 AM
:welcome:

Welcome to the board, Jim. Glad to see another poster on board who remembers life before Ronald Reagan.:D:

geraldfritz
01-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah I was very young and do not remember '83 at all, except for what I have seen on video. I do remember watching a couple of ron's roofshots when I was younger though. Those were great. You really cant forget those. The first game that I can actually recall going to was on July 1, 1990 with my grandfather. Ron struck out three times. But I got to see the Sox beat the Yankees 4-0, despite being no-hit by the Yankees. I still have the souvenir at that they gave away that day for it being the 80th anniversity of old Comiskey Park. That was a great day.

viagracat
01-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Brickhouse was doing commentary for both teams at that time.

True, but he's always been much more associated with the Cubs. I don't remember Brickhouse ever doing a lot of Sox games, and maybe I'm biased :cool:, but I certainly don't ever recall him fawning over the Sox like he did the Cubs. Even when the Cubs lost something like 103 games in 1966.

He also used to do Bears games with Irv Kupcinet.

tick53
01-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Not to sound too Billy Crystal-like, but it was when I first walked into the old park back in 65 and saw the grass, the old scoreboard and especially seeing the Sox taking batting practice. I had been watching games on television in black and white before, but after the actual sight of the field, it was all over.

soxinem1
01-20-2008, 05:52 PM
It was a cold February evening in 1968. I saw a bright flash of light, then some goof with a white robe started hitting my ass.

TommyJohn
01-20-2008, 06:37 PM
He also used to do Bears games with Irv Kupcinet.

That's right, Jack.

PalehosePlanet
01-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Yeah I was very young and do not remember '83 at all, except for what I have seen on video. I do remember watching a couple of ron's roofshots when I was younger though. Those were great. You really cant forget those. The first game that I can actually recall going to was on July 1, 1990 with my grandfather. Ron struck out three times. But I got to see the Sox beat the Yankees 4-0, despite being no-hit by the Yankees. I still have the souvenir at that they gave away that day for it being the 80th anniversity of old Comiskey Park. That was a great day.

I remember this game well. It was none other than Jim "Vehicular Homicide" Leyritz, while in LF that day, who let a liner bounce off his thigh to clear the bases.

Andy Hawkins was the hard luck loser for the Yanks.

Later MLB changed the rule on no-hitters and Hawkins no-hitter was off the books (8 inn in a loss no-hitters no longer counted.)

Sox
01-21-2008, 08:39 PM

I guess I am one of those "since birth" fans. Dad is from NW Indiana and Mom from Cincinnati. When they got engaged my Dad bought my Mom a book on White Sox history and asked that she convert before getting married. In my cradle room, I only had one poster hanging - a 1983 Winning Ugly poster. Being a newborn in '83 must have killed my Dad when he had to stay quiet during the comebacks.

I was always a Sox fan but my earliest memory becoming hooked on baseball was visiting my grandfather in Florida. I was bored with all the "grown up" stuff so I went into my room and the only thing on TV was Baseball Tonight. I was hooked. I stayed up all night (from the beginning of the East Coast games to the end of the West Coast games) watching every update and rooting for the Sox through the updates. They lost and I remember thinking it was the end of the world, crying. My Dad consoled me by telling me there was a game the next day and that there was "always tomorrow." This game was too beautiful to not fall in love with.

Thats great that you shared that. I enjoyed reading how you became a Sox fan. Thanks. It reminded me of the time I spent with my grandfather.

MeteorsSox4367
01-21-2008, 10:51 PM
When you grow up 15 minutes and two neighborhoods over from Comiskey, chances are pretty good that you'll end up a Sox fan. My grandfather, who passed away in 1974, was a West Sider who loved the Sox. His son - who thankfully is still around - is a loyal Sox fan. His son - despite growing up with some Cubs fans - made the right choice in baseball teams in the late 70s and has been a diehard Sox fan ever since.

Add to that such things as Interlake Straight-A days (always against crappy teams), exploding scoreboards, watching your team win the division and the World Series, a great picture with your Dad in front of the real Comiskey, working at Comiskey for two years in high school and working three blocks away now as an adult 20 years later and still getting excited about driving past the ballpark on the way to work and you have the ingredients of a diehard Sox fan.

billcissell
01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I don't remember the precise moment when I saw the light, but I do recall a series of incidents circa 1963 that sealed the deal for me:

Rookie southpaw Gary Peters tossing a one-hitter (I think it was against the Orioles)

Hard luck Horlen losing a no-hitter in the ninth, and then losing the game to the Senators

Charlie "Paw Paw" Maxwell making a habit of hitting pinch hit home runs during Sunday afternoon doubleheaders

Going to the old park and watching the Sox battle the dreaded Yankees - I was in awe of Mantle, Berra, Maris, Ford and company

Watching the contraption behind home plate that would magically appear between innings and distribute a new set of baseballs to the home plate umpire - it was like a small wire basket that held maybe a dozen balls or so - a trap door behind the plate would slide open and this wire basket would pop up

The incredible exploding scoreboard

Listening to the transistor radio sitting on my pillow at night as I laid in bed with Bob Elson and Milo Hamilton calling the game

That matted old White Sox cap, black with the script Sox logo, that I wore religiously every day

The sweet swing of Floyd Robinson, the power of guys like Pete Ward and Dave Nicholson, the fielding gems of firstbaseman Joe Cunningham, the potential of Don Buford, Ken Berry and Mike Hershberger

It's no wonder I became a Sox fan.

ode to veeck
01-22-2008, 04:26 PM
When we moved to Chicago from Milwaukee at age 6 in 1962 I gave up on the Braves and the National League to become a Sox fan. No more Henry Aaron and Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

soxpride724
01-22-2008, 09:25 PM
My family has always been sox fans. Most of them still live on the south side, but I have moved out to the suburbs. Anyway, I grew up with this strange notion that you could be a fan of both Chicago teams (yeah right). When I hit the age of 10 I just sorta shifted towards the sox and never went back, lol. I think what ended my interest in the cubs was the damn loosing all the time. Growing up in the 90's the sox were always the better team and Frank Thomas was the best played in the world back then.

JimRivera
01-22-2008, 09:56 PM
I,too, was there in 1990 when Andy Hawkins lost his nono because of Leyritz' misplaying that ball in left. I can still see it, all those Sox crossing the plate.
I have my program from that day, somewhere in a box.
I also have a VHS tape of the Comiskey finale that year as well as a lot of stuff WGN did to commemorate the closing of Comiskey. I also bought a coin from those people that made those commemorative coins, very nice, with Comiskey Park on one side.
Thanks for the info about 8 inning nonos no longer being official no-hitters.
That day I had driven to the game with Dick, an old guy who was security guard at my plant, his grandson, and my brother...we had liver and onions , meat loaf, and burgers & fries in Bridgeport at Ramova Grill.What a day...a journey back in time (the Ramova has not changed since the 1920's) and one of my last visits to The Base Ball Palace of The World.:cool:

JimRivera
01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
billcissell, My Babe Ruth League team was treated to a game in September 1964, a Sunday, vs. the Senators. We had 1st row boxes by the Washington dugout.
I had brought a baseball and had gotten a few autographs, and I really wanted Gil Hodges to sign that ball. I leaned forward and asked a Washington player to get my ball signed...of course he said he couldn't do that, but he told me to ask Gil when he came in from the umpires' ground rules meeting just before the game started.
So I did. The player had said, "He'll sign it for you." And he DID!
That day there was a very small crowd, and one thing I noticed right away...when that ball basket popped up hydraulically, it made the LOUDEST air-hissing sound...it was unnerving.
Also, we had heard the phrase forever..."...be ready when the bell rings."
Well...we always had sat far from the dugouts, and I was shocked that when it was time to take the field for the Sox, a loud ringing bell sounded off! I thought that was amazing...I had always thought it was just a saying!
I wonder what signals the players to hit the field these days...anyone know?:o:

viagracat
01-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Add to that such things as Interlake Straight-A days (always against crappy teams), exploding scoreboards, watching your team win the division and the World Series, a great picture with your Dad in front of the real Comiskey, working at Comiskey for two years in high school and working three blocks away now as an adult 20 years later and still getting excited about driving past the ballpark on the way to work and you have the ingredients of a diehard Sox fan.

I got Sox tickets about 1972 for having perfect attendence in high school that year (the other way to get tix in that promotion) and my dad, who was a die-hard Cub fan, took me to what ended up being a doubleheader at Comiskey. They were the first Sox games I'd ever been to. It was great.

rrider
01-27-2008, 02:00 PM
I became a Sox fan the day Cleveland traded Dennis Eckersley to Boston.
Seventeen years of the Chinese water torture of Indian trades finally broke me. I remember pounding my fist on my steering wheel when the deal news came on the car radio!
The Sox had had a tremendously exciting season the year before, so they looked like a change for the better, in spite of the fact that the brand-new Channel 55 at home in Fort Wayne was telecasting Cub games.
You know the rest!

Snowcat28
01-28-2008, 11:04 AM
My dad always told me that he took me to my first Sox game when I was 6 months old. From that, I've told people that I've been a Sox fan since birth!!!:D: There wasn't a specific point in my early childhood when I became a Sox Fan, but I knew the starting lineup, by heart, by the time I was in kindergarten (on the first day of school, I wore my replica Sox helmet and refused to take it off!!). I also felt that Sox games were exciting and there were lights and fireworks when homers were hit, while North Side games were boring to me even with Jack Brickhouse in the booth. In all, I was destined to be a Sox fan.

P.S. The Twin fans, here, are generally nice, but they hate it when I wear my 2005 World Championship gear!!!

Pods4455
01-28-2008, 12:27 PM
I never had a choice- Im a 5th generation Sox fan (the little boy Im having in 2 and 1/2 months doesnt have a choice either- even though his father is just as big of a Red Sox fan growing up in Boston as I am a Sox fan.)... I dont remember ever careing about anything else growing up. my earliest memories are of being @ old comiskey w/ my dad .. growing up on Carlton Fisk, Ozzie Guillen, etc.... I def was hooked by the time I was 3 or 4 years old... I only say that because it's the earliest I can remember- LOL!

I remember standing @ the old park while my dad drank a beer and I ate a funnel cake and him trying to teach me things like- what a line drive was... etc. It was really a bonding thing for my dad and I... and I think that's what got me soooo hooked (dare I say "obsessed?" lol!) with this team! =)

I fully intend on taking my son to a game as soon as he's about 3 weeks old- and if he's born a week early (hes due the 14th of april).. he'll be born on opening day! :redneck:supernana:

Rockman218
01-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Unfortunately my father was a Cubs fan. Fortunately though, my three older brothers who had a different father, are Sox fans. There was a series of moments leading up to my shift from north to south.

1997. I go to my first Whitesox game. It's a night game, and the Big Hurt blows up the scoreboard twice. As an eight year old, the fireworks left quite an impression on me.
1999. A sox/cubs game at Wrigley. Sox finish the sweep. I'm pissed.
1999. Sox host the bluejays. I sit in the first row in left field. My brother, his friend, and I heckle the hell out of the BJ's left fielder.
2000. It's April, and it's the day after the Sox had a giant brawl with the Tiger's. I go with all my brothers and their friends. We sit right behind the Detroit dugout, and heckle the Tigers all game. Plenty of great laughs, I get a foul ball, and the Sox won by a large margin. The kids could play, and i knew it too. From that day on, I've been a die hard Sox fan.

chidonez
01-30-2008, 07:02 PM
My first Sox game in 2002, I think. I had moved to Chicago the previous fall and lived in Bridgeport, so naturally I chose to frequent Sox games. The first one I went too was against the Indians. Within the first couple of innings I had already seen about 3 fights. Of course, I don't like fights generally, but I appreciated the passion of the fans. It's been a wild ride ever since, even though I was in Boston temporarily during the '05 season.

SteveFakeBlood
01-30-2008, 08:33 PM
I just joined WSI after lurking for a while and figured this was as good a thread as any for a first post.

I guess I fit into the "Sox fans are not made, they're born" category. My paternal grandfather was born and raised in Bridgeport and sneaked into many a game as a kid. Even though I'm a second generation DuPage County kid, blood is thicker than water. There are pictures of me as a baby in Sox gear, I apparently watched the '83 playoffs with my Dad as a baby (obviously I don't remember this) even though my Dad took me to Old Comiskey a couple times, I sadly don't remember it all even though I was a bit older by that point.

My first truly vivid memory of loving the Sox was nearly leaping down the stairs of my parents' house in excitement when I found out my Mom had managed to buy four 1993 ALCS playoff tickets (after staying on the phone for almost 2 hours)- it was to Game 2- a day game and my Dad took myself and my two childhood best friends out of school to go- unfortunately, it was a grim game that the Sox lost 3-1 with Alex Fernandez being a hard luck loser- I remember nearly being in tears afterwards- my first dose of true heartbreak as a Sox fan (of course I had many of those to come).

There were points in '06 and '07 where I felt that kind of pain, I'm in my mid-twenties and this team still has a massive emotional effect on me.

The Sox are as much a part of who I am as anything else (I have a Sox logo permanently inked on my skin)- part of that is it's the one connection I have to my Grandpa (who passed away when I was only a year old) and part of it is that I was into the Sox before I was into music, politics, girls, booze, literature, etc.... pretty much anything else. And watching or listening to the Sox is something I can turn to to forget all that (although 2007 made it hard).

~Steve

MikeW
01-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure when,but it was 1961 or 62 living in Elizabeth,NJ when my Dad finally took me to see the Sox play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. I was 6 or 7 and don't remember anything about the game except the Sox lost. Wish I had a scorecard or a ticket stub to remember exactly when that was. No real reason the Sox are my team but they always have been. I always envied you guys who live in Chicago.

SteveFakeBlood
01-31-2008, 09:02 PM
I'm not sure when,but it was 1961 or 62 living in Elizabeth,NJ when my Dad finally took me to see the Sox play the Yankees at Yankee Stadium. I was 6 or 7 and don't remember anything about the game except the Sox lost. Wish I had a scorecard or a ticket stub to remember exactly when that was. No real reason the Sox are my team but they always have been. I always envied you guys who live in Chicago.

It's always good to know that there are people in your region who are long-time fans of the Right Sox.

~Steve