5. Chris Getz, 2b
6. John Ely, rhp
7. Juan Silverio, ss
8. John Shelby Jr., of
9. Adam Russell, rhp
10. Kyle McCulloch, rhp

chat at noon with Phil Rogers...
http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/chat/chat.php?id=2008011401

Pretty much the names we all expected, just rearranged.

santo=dorf
01-14-2008, 12:23 PM
That's like the third time I've seen a publication incorrectly list Aaron Poreda as a right hander.

Sockinchisox
01-14-2008, 12:24 PM
List is up...
1. Aaron Poreda, rhp
2. Lance Broadway, rhp
3. Jack Egbert, rhp
4. Jose Martinez, of
5. Chris Getz, 2b
6. John Ely, rhp
7. Juan Silverio, ss
8. John Shelby Jr., of
9. Adam Russell, rhp
10. Kyle McCulloch, rhp

chat at noon with Phil Rogers...
http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/chat/chat.php?id=2008011401

Pretty much the names we all expected, just rearranged.

Shelby should probably be about 5, and Salvador Sanchez should probably be in there somewhere too.

btrain929
01-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I think arguments can be made for Sanchez and even Sergio Miranda.

It's funny to see how many of the names on there were acquired by the WSox in the past year. 3 or 4 from my count. Hopefully we can look back on the '07 draft and say it was a very strong one for our organization.

itsnotrequired
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
That's like the third time I've seen a publication incorrectly list Aaron Poreda as a right hander.

It is especially strange considering they call him a left-hander on their homepage.

:dunno:

Britt Burns
01-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow, that is one lame list. Let's hope Swisher hits .350/50/140 with a GG in CF...and perhaps work some middle relief from time to time...

havelj
01-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Done by Phil Rogers (ugh), but good annual information:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/265458.html

Sockinchisox
01-14-2008, 02:50 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96644

btrain929
01-14-2008, 04:41 PM
FWIW, Rogers said Alexei Ramirez would rank 2nd on our list of prospects. That's a pretty good ranking, considering all the people saying the competition he faces is terrible.

Flight #24
01-14-2008, 11:13 PM
FWIW, Rogers said Alexei Ramirez would rank 2nd on our list of prospects. That's a pretty good ranking, considering all the people saying the competition he faces is terrible.
Well, and the fact that the system is terrible so the bar is low......

Hagan
01-15-2008, 11:30 AM
In the chat he said he would be ranked 4th

Phil Rogers: Hi, Ryan. For what it's worth, we were looking at Ramirez at No. 4 if he had signed quickly enough to be included. He's an intriguing player.

btrain929
01-15-2008, 01:13 PM
In the chat he said he would be ranked 4th

Phil Rogers: Hi, Ryan. For what it's worth, we were looking at Ramirez at No. 4 if he had signed quickly enough to be included. He's an intriguing player.

Was the chat before or after the article came out? In the BA article, he says at the bottom he'd be 2nd.

oeo
01-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Was the chat before or after the article came out? In the BA article, he says at the bottom he'd be 2nd.

Phil has a history of being inconsistent.

btrain929
01-15-2008, 01:44 PM

Touche'.

thedudeabides
01-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Not to mention never letting an opportunity slip by to rake Kenny over the coals for trading Chris young.

oeo
01-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Touche'.

:?:

I'm just saying that this guy contradicts himself all the time. He's a joke, if you ask me.

btrain929
01-15-2008, 04:26 PM

I'm just saying that this guy contradicts himself all the time. He's a joke, if you ask me.

Uhhhh, yeah I know. I was agreeing with you.

oeo
01-15-2008, 04:29 PM

Brain cramp on my part. I actually read that as touchy. :redface:

I've got math on the brain.

Taliesinrk
01-15-2008, 04:52 PM

that's hilarious..

Domeshot17
01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Phil is basically the poor man's Windsock.....

Fungo
01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
For those without access to the chat (I think you need to be a subscriber to access it), one name that was not on the top ten list and mentioned numerous times throughout the chat was Kent Gerst. Here was Roger's response to the first question on Gerst...

Q: Mark from TN asks:
I was at plenty of Bristol games last season & the most talented player on the field, although still so young & underdeveloped, was Kent Gerst. He would run 3.9 down the line & covered extensive ground in CF along with great patience at the plate for a smaller guy. Seems a lot like Jacoby Ellsbury to me. Where will he be next season & what are the organization's thoughts on him?

A:Phil Rogers: Hey there, Mark. If Gerst turned out to be only a poor man's Ellsbury that would be something. Speed is definitely his best asset. I think the Sox are waiting to see if he can develop as a hitter. Even with his speed, he had only one extra-base hit every 25 at-bats last season at Bristol, which isn't going to cut it. He will compete for a job in the outfield at Kannapolis in spring training, but the White Sox do have a lot of younger outfielders, especially center field types, so the competition for those jobs is going to be tough. Winning a job at Kanny out of spring training would be a big step for Gerst.

I've never seen the kid play, but I remember when he was drafted I liked what I had read about him. Anyone here seen him play?

veeter
01-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Not to mention never letting an opportunity slip by to rake Kenny over the coals for trading Chris young.Yes, Phil is a jack ass. If we had Young and no pitching, Phil would say 'The staff sucks, Kenny should've traded from the glut of young centerfielders, to aquire a work horse.' **** you Phil.

CleeFan101
01-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Just to go back to some of the original posters.... Sorry right now Salvador Sanchez is a non-prospect. He would need to have a huge season this upcoming year to be even considered in the top10.

fozzy
01-18-2008, 08:56 AM
I found this on another message board about the Sox's the original poster claims to have just started working in the minor league system (he came over from the O's). People over there think he's legit.

CF Kent Gerst: Gerst was the MVP of his team at Bristol & continues to be looked highly upon within the organization. He possesses top of the line speed & defensive ability & has an advanced feel for the strike-zone for such a young player. He projects to have solid-avg. hitting ability at the MLB-level. Gerst will most likely be sent to Kannapolis as a young 20-yr old next season where it is hoped he can try to simply keep his head above water. He was voted the "Hardest Worker" in the Organization. He and Jose Martinez are the 2 top talents in the low minor leagues in the ChiSox organization. Kent Gerst projects to be very, very similar to the Boston Red Sox' Jacoby Ellsbury as they are at about the same development stage at the same ages (Ellsbury was in College, Gerst in Pro Ball is about the only difference - same swing, speed, defense, frame - great budding prospect).

Here's his take on Poreda it's not very good:

LHP Aaron Poreda: Poreda complained of a hurting shoulder & elbow and the player development guys said he had complained much of the year (this is why he missed a good portion of time mid-season). Poreda is a disaster with his arm swing and is an injury waiting to happen. He possesses some power stuff, but he has no feel for a breaking ball. He can't spin a curveball or a slider. At this point, he projects much more of a pen-guy than a starter, but even that is in question because of his inability to throw a breaking ball to keep Left-Handed hitters honest. The West-Coast coordinator & regional scouts both lost their jobs for this draft pick recently. Should say something about his future ability.

Dan Mega
01-18-2008, 12:59 PM
Phil is basically the poor man's Windsock.....

No that title belongs to Greg Couch and his counterpart, Carol "Mariotti Lite" Sleazak.

Phil is just....I dunno.

SoxxoS
01-18-2008, 05:43 PM
No idea why we drafted Poreda, and why people are so high on him after dominating great falls.

Ill just go on record with that right now, so hopefully I can be proven wrong.

That makes me down on - Poreda, Broadway and McCollough (nice first rounders Kenny!) :o:

And up on...on....wait for it...still thinking....Egbert. Thats it from me.

Optipessimism
01-18-2008, 07:42 PM
No idea why we drafted Poreda, and why people are so high on him after dominating great falls.

Ill just go on record with that right now, so hopefully I can be proven wrong.

That makes me down on - Poreda, Broadway and McCollough (nice first rounders Kenny!) :o:

And up on...on....wait for it...still thinking....Egbert. Thats it from me.

Agree with that mostly, but I think Broadway will become a decent #4/#5, potentially a nice #3/#4 if he gains full command of his 2-seamer. He has good enough movement and enough pitches to get outs IMO, and he isn't afraid of the bat. He could be an overachiever.

If the playing field is fair and the Sox don't pick up another starter, I think Egbert makes the Sox out of ST.

btrain929
01-18-2008, 08:30 PM
Agree with that mostly, but I think Broadway will become a decent #4/#5, potentially a nice #3/#4 if he gains full command of his 2-seamer. He has good enough movement and enough pitches to get outs IMO, and he isn't afraid of the bat. He could be an overachiever.

If the playing field is fair and the Sox don't pick up another starter, I think Egbert makes the Sox out of ST.

He's got people above him that the Sox need to find out if they have a future with us (Floyd, Broadway, Masset). There's no need to rush him to the majors. Let him dominate AAA (hopefully). Then he can either be a callup this year or be ready to step in for '09 or used as trade bait to acquire a more proven SP.

Optipessimism
01-18-2008, 09:09 PM
He's got people above him that the Sox need to find out if they have a future with us (Floyd, Broadway, Masset). There's no need to rush him to the majors. Let him dominate AAA (hopefully). Then he can either be a callup this year or be ready to step in for '09 or used as trade bait to acquire a more proven SP.

Have you watched any of these guys pitch? Floyd can't work out of the stretch without losing velocity. Broadway and Masset still need to work on their command. Egbert meanwhile is a groundball pitcher who throws four pitches for strikes, has very good command of the strikezone, and has given up only 12 home runs in 529 minor league innings.

Jack is ready now. Broadway most likely isn't, and Gavin Floyd and Nick Masset may never be ready.

btrain929
01-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Have you watched any of these guys pitch? Floyd can't work out of the stretch without losing velocity. Broadway and Masset still need to work on their command. Egbert meanwhile is a groundball pitcher who throws four pitches for strikes, has very good command of the strikezone, and has given up only 12 home runs in 529 minor league innings.

Jack is ready now. Broadway most likely isn't, and Gavin Floyd and Nick Masset may never be ready.

You're right about a lot of that (especially Floyd from the stretch....his body is too closed and he looks uncomfortable). But I'm just saying that I think in the WHITE SOX eyes, those guys will get the look first and get the consistent chance at the big league level for those SP jobs. I think best case scenario will be Egbert doing well in AAA and Floyd and/or Masset don't work out, and Egbert can get called up and run away with it.

rdivaldi
01-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Egbert is not ready to pitch in the major leagues, a lot of you are way out in front of your skis with this kid.

PalehosePlanet
01-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Egbert is not ready to pitch in the major leagues, a lot of you are way out in front of your skis with this kid.

Hey rdiv, just wondering, what are your thoughts on Jose Martinez?

Also are you as excited about the potential of Silveiro as much as I am?

SoxxoS
01-19-2008, 04:18 PM

I never said I wanted him in the rotation this year, but he may be the tallest midget even with his age - Which may cause the Sox to rush him.

Any other thoughts as to why Egbert isn't ready?

Optipessimism
01-19-2008, 11:31 PM
I never said I wanted him in the rotation this year, but he may be the tallest midget even with his age - Which may cause the Sox to rush him.

Agreed. In a perfect world, the Sox would have 5 starters, none with huge question marks on them, and Egbert would be insurance in the minors. But since this isn't a perfect world, to me Egbert looks like the best option for one of our voids.

He' 25 next year, has thrown over 500 minor league innings, and his numbers have been great. His minor league peripherals are very good, very steady. Since he's not a flyball pitcher and he has some of if not the best control in the system, and since he has an above average changeup and can locate his fastball, with a curve and two seamer to go along with it, I see no reason why he HAS to go to Triple A because I don't know if there's anything that he'll have to work on there that will get him killed in the Majors. Plus he's worked over 160IP per season the last two years, and he's pitched in the AFL, so durability shouldn't be an issue at all.

IMO, he's proven what he needs to prove in the minors and is more "ready" than anyone else we have sans Danks. Maybe he's even a better bet for success than Danks, because even though Danks has better stuff and a year of MLB under his belt, he has a hard time keeping his pitch count in control.

Rdivaldi:

Any reasons why Egbert, if he has a better ST than Danks or Floyd, should be sent to Triple A to start '08? I just think Jack is ready now and Floyd is a 3-run homer waiting to happen. Broadway's control needs some work also. Not every team is going to look like the Royals did against him.

Optipessimism
01-19-2008, 11:35 PM
You're right about a lot of that (especially Floyd from the stretch....his body is too closed and he looks uncomfortable). But I'm just saying that I think in the WHITE SOX eyes, those guys will get the look first and get the consistent chance at the big league level for those SP jobs. I think best case scenario will be Egbert doing well in AAA and Floyd and/or Masset don't work out, and Egbert can get called up and run away with it.
You may be right, but I hope that's not the case. Even if it is, Ozzie may very well bring Egbert up right out of ST. I know the Sox would rather see Gavin win a job outright because he has no options left and isn't going to be effective at all out of the pen, but I just don't see him impressing. Gavin sucks until proven otherwise, i.e. until he proves he can work out of the stretch effectively.

rdivaldi
01-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Hey rdiv, just wondering, what are your thoughts on Jose Martinez?

Also are you as excited about the potential of Silveiro as much as I am?

I'm optimistic based on the reports on Martinez, but to be honest I have not seen anywhere enough of him to form a solid opinion. Nice to see an 18 year old having success in Rookie Ball though.

I think everyone is somewhat excited about Silverio; however, I'll temper my enthusiasm until I see him play or get some scouting video. He's what? 17 now?

rdivaldi
01-20-2008, 08:25 PM

I'd just like to see him against superior competition. The Southern League is usually a pitchers league, so I want to see him in ST and again in AAA. Honestly the reviews of him out of the AFL weren't all that impressive.

rdivaldi
01-20-2008, 08:27 PM
Rdivaldi:

Any reasons why Egbert, if he has a better ST than Danks or Floyd, should be sent to Triple A to start '08? I just think Jack is ready now and Floyd is a 3-run homer waiting to happen. Broadway's control needs some work also. Not every team is going to look like the Royals did against him.

Unless Jack has a Boone Logan-esqe ST, I'd send him to AAA. I'm lukewarm on Floyd and not much of a Broadway fan, but I'm much more inclined to give those two a shot. I don't think Egbert is ready...

rdivaldi
01-20-2008, 08:31 PM

He's a big lefty that throws in the high 90's, there aren't too many of those floating around baseball. I'm skeptical of the criticism of Poreda's motion. Granted I'm not an expert, but I just didn't see any glaring flaws. Just because he had pain and discomfort does not automatically mean that there's a flaw in his delivery. Sometimes college pitchers are just overused (see Mike Sirotka) which leads to unecessary wear and tear.

SoxxoS
01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
I'd just like to see him against superior competition. The Southern League is usually a pitchers league, so I want to see him in ST and again in AAA. Honestly the reviews of him out of the AFL weren't all that impressive.

What did the reviews say - Looking at the peripherals, I dont see that much wrong with Egbert - Especially being such a GB pitcher at USCF.

rdivaldi
01-21-2008, 10:19 AM
What did the reviews say - Looking at the peripherals, I dont see that much wrong with Egbert - Especially being such a GB pitcher at USCF.

Mediocre "stuff" and nibbling at the corners. Kind of like a poor man's Jon Garland. He was wild during the AFL, so I'm sure that didn't help his cause.

ohiosoxfan
01-22-2008, 04:15 PM
It's still pretty impressive on the home run stat. Have you ever seen a pitcher anywhere who started 28 games and gave up 3 homers? I'd like to see him get some time in Charlotte to see if that was just a product of a big ballpark; but his HR numbers have been steady throughout all levels. I say if he has a strong spring training, give him a shot.

rdivaldi
01-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Have you ever seen a pitcher anywhere who started 28 games and gave up 3 homers?

Cotts gave up 2 in 21 starts back in '03.

HaroMaster87
01-28-2008, 05:51 AM

And masset and sisco are out of options and need to make the team out of ST or will be cut. Therefore, I'm sure those two will be given EVERY opportunity to prove/disprove themselves to be major league ready/worthy.

Optipessimism
01-29-2008, 01:28 AM
And masset and sisco are out of options and need to make the team out of ST or will be cut. Therefore, I'm sure those two will be given EVERY opportunity to prove/disprove themselves to be major league ready/worthy.

Sisco will probably be auditioning for a new team because with his total lack of control there is no way he outperforms Thornton and Logan. A good showing from Sisco could get us a somewhat useful piece; a bad showing gets us probably nothing, but either way, he's pretty much already out the door.

Masset might be auditioning for a new team too, but I could see the Sox going with him as a LR again unfortunately. He'll still have to beat out Broadway and maybe Egbert, along with Adam Russell who will have a legitimate shot with a good spring. Then there is Wassermann, and even though he can't work effectively as a LR, he could continue to heavily impress as a righty specialist and move one of our setup guys into that role. Not that it is necessarily a good idea for Dotel or MacDougal to work that many innings, but anything could happen in an Ozzie-managed bullpen.

Optipessimism
01-29-2008, 01:47 AM
Cotts gave up 2 in 21 starts back in '03.
Cy Young once gave up only 3 bombs in 37 starts.

That comparison is just as irrelevant as your statement about Cotts.

Jack looks like a durable back-of-the-rotation starter with good control and a style that fits the Cell.

I still can't see what you don't like about him. You say he looked like a poor man's Jon Garland and nibbled at the corners in the AFL, and had average stuff. Good. We need a poor man's Jon Garland in our rotation. It's better to nibble on the corners than nibble five inches off the plate like Danks, and it's better to have average yet reliable stuff than above-average but inconsistent stuff.

I like Danks, but Floyd scares me and Contreras is an enigma. Egbert appears to offer the best chance of stability among our young pitchers, and stability is what we need. I don't see what Egbert really needs to work on. His peripherals say he's more ready coming out of Double A this year than Danks was coming out of Triple A last year. Granted, Danks has better stuff, but what good is good stuff if you can't use it effectively?

SoxxoS
01-29-2008, 08:27 AM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/E/Jack-Egbert.shtml

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/jon-garland.shtml

Compare the two's historys there -

Age was no doubt a huge factor, but Egbert had better minor league numbers.

Egbert averaged about 1.5 more K's...a few less walks....gave up a third of the home runs...and about 1.2 less hits per 9 than Garland.

Not saying he is going to be Garland, but I have high hopes.

rdivaldi
01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
That comparison is just as irrelevant as your statement about Cotts.

If you want to slobber over 3 HRA in AA, then you might as well see a comparison of guys who have done it as well. Egbert has nowhere near the "stuff" that Garland had, plus Jon had success in the minors when he was 4 years younger than Egbert did.

I like Egbert, but IMO he's not ready and is behind a few guys in terms of getting a shot at starting.

btrain929
02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I can't wait to see how a lot of our young, promising players do in their sophomore year at higher levels of competition. We had a lot of good players on the Great Falls and Bristol teams. Now, if they move up to Kanny or W/S, it'll be interesting to see if they can keep it up. If so, there a good amount of arms down there and a few position players that can/hopefully will catch people's eyes.

Tekijawa
02-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Done by Phil Rogers (ugh), but good annual information:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/265458.html
Am I the only one who caught that he has Crede at 3rd on our 2011 lineup?

EMachine10
02-26-2008, 08:09 AM

I saw that, too.

Optipessimism
02-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Take comfort in that because it just goes to show how little he follows the organization. Everyone knows Crede is as good as gone. He also has Poreda penciled in as our #3 starter instead of working as a setup man in the bullpen. Danks of course, with his three major league pitches, sits behind Poreda and his one.

I also fail to see why he'd rank Poreda as the best prospect in the organization just because he throws hard and dominated Rookie ball out of college. If Rogers is going by ceiling at least Martinez and probably others have a much higher ceiling since Martinez's development hinges on basically filling out, improving his discipline, and adjusting to the competition while Poreda needs to learn how to throw a breaking ball. Martinez seems to have a ceiling of an All-Star caliber starting position player, while Poreda's ceiling at the moment is a setup man. If Rogers is going by likelihood of reaching his ceiling, again there would be others ahead of Poreda, and if he's going by ETA then it has to be Broadway and Egbert topping the list. If he's going by success, Egbert probably tops the list. If Rogers is trying to focus on all of that, the top prospect would probably be Shelby, wouldn't it? He'd at least be a lot higher than 8th. He has a high ceiling, will begin next year at High A most likely, has had success beyond freaking Rookie ball, and with a hot start he could end the year in Birmingham.

rdivaldi
02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Poreda's ceiling at the moment is a setup man.

Poreda's ceiling is a set-up man? What brings you to that conclusion?

Optipessimism
02-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Poreda's ceiling is a set-up man? What brings you to that conclusion?

There's a lot of Poreda love around, but if you read it, all of that love is just the same three points regurgitated:

1. He's a lefty
2. He throws a mid-90's plus-plus FB
3. He dominated Rookie ball out of college.

^None of that says "starter with top of the rotation potential" to me. It doesn't even say "starter" potential to me.

From draft day (http://ww2.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/events/draft_report/y2007/index.jsp?mc=poreda):
Weaknesses: His secondary stuff. The slider and changeup will have to come a long way. Even though he's a lefty, he's not good at getting left-handed hitters out.And another (http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2007/insider/news/story?id=2896488&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2***b %2fdraft2007%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d28964 88):
Poreda is a tall, strong, power arm that gets heavy sink on his fastball. His slider is a potential plus pitch, but his other support pitches are questionable because he has no feel for them. His delivery and arm swing limit him to a degree.And then there's this guy (http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/breaking-down-the-drafts-1st-round-picks-21-30/) who says:
I stopped the animation (frames 32 and 33) for a reason. Maybe it's the aesthetics of it, but those are positions that you don't want to be in. Focus on his front shoulder...not good.
In the draft video, Poreda was working 87-90 so maybe this was early in the year before he adjusted his mechanics. That said, I'm willing to bet on two things on Poreda with the certainty that at least one of them will occur:
1) He will lose his mid-90s velocity rather quickly.
2) He will shred his arm.There's also a poster at SoxTalk (http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61743&st=0) who has said he is one of the new player development guys brought over from Baltimore. He says some very interesting things about Poreda, about how he has no feel for a breaking ball, has terrible mechanics, how Poreda's selection got people in the organization fired, etc. Take it with a grain of salt obviously, but he seems to be very knowledgeable about our Rookie leaguers so I don't see any reason not to believe him.

So anyway, regardless of what you believe, unless you are a professional pitching coach who has studied Poreda's motion, you have to just take what you can find out about him. What I've found says he's a big lefty with a plus-plus FB, a change in need of a ton of improvement, a slider he can't control and has no feel for, he can't throw a curveball, he has poor mechanics, and he dominated Rookie league out of college. I haven't read anything that gives a legitimate reason for him becoming anything more than another Matt Thornton.

rdivaldi
02-26-2008, 05:31 PM
If Poreda is never able to harness any sort of an offspeed pitch then I agree that he will be lucky to be a setup man a la Thornton.

However, I still have yet to witness his "horrible mechanics". I see a fluid motion that he is able to repeat with regularity. I'm not a pitching technician, so I don't get what is wrong with his front shoulder, nor has Poreda suffered any shoulder problems in his career. I've also seen this SoxTalk guy mentioned often and quite honestly I don't believe him. Real professional baseball scouts/employees don't go to message boards and start rattling off who they are, what is going on, etc. That's a good way to get fired.

My hope is that he can get some feel for a two-seamer and change-up and work his way up to Birmingham this year.

btrain929
02-26-2008, 05:57 PM
I don't see why it matters one way or another. Whether bust or stud, he'll probably be traded in a package deal and never don a White Sox jersey anyway. (half teal)