PDA

View Full Version : Why Santana is still a Twin

Fenway
01-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Bill Madden in the NY Daily News ponders why Santana is still a Twin. He also looks at the White Sox moves and wonders if they were worth stripping the farm system bare.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/madden/index.html

michned
01-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Bill Madden in the NY Daily News ponders why Santana is still a Twin. He also looks at the White Sox moves and wonders if they were worth stripping the farm system bare.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/columnists/madden/index.html

He is one of the few writers who is questioning the Quentin trade. He must have never seen him play when healthy.

PalehosePlanet
01-13-2008, 12:09 PM
He is one of the few writers who is questioning the Quentin trade. He must have never seen him play when healthy.

Exactly. Also, he doesn't mention the fact that the trades all brought back very young players.

DumpJerry
01-13-2008, 12:13 PM
1. He ignores the fact that with Buehrle and Danks in the rotation, Gio was, at best, two years away from joining the rotation as another lefty.
2. He ignores the fact that DLS is also about 2-3 years away from the Big Show.
3. He makes Carter sound like shoe-in for the 25 man roster in 2008 and not the A player he is right now.

I think he needs to look up the word "prospect" in the dictionary.

For all this hand wringing over "giving away" prospects by Kenny, eveyone needs to remember that the Yankees routinely trade away their prospects and still make it to the post season year after year (it's more than just signing high-priced FA's). It's time we stop falling in love with prospects. It's like being told by the girl you have a crush on that "I'll date you if things don't work out between my current boyfriend and me." If she is tired of her boyfriend, she'll leave him for you now. If a prospect is ready to become ROY or MVP, he'd be on the 25 man roster now.

Tragg
01-13-2008, 12:53 PM
1. He ignores the fact that with Buehrle and Danks in the rotation, Gio was, at best, two years away from joining the rotation as another lefty.
2. He ignores the fact that DLS is also about 2-3 years away from the Big Show.
3. He makes Carter sound like shoe-in for the 25 man roster in 2008 and not the A player he is right now.

I think he needs to look up the word "prospect" in the dictionary.

For all this hand wringing over "giving away" prospects by Kenny, eveyone needs to remember that the Yankees routinely trade away their prospects and still make it to the post season year after year (it's more than just signing high-priced FA's). It's time we stop falling in love with prospects. It's like being told by the girl you have a crush on that "I'll date you if things don't work out between my current boyfriend and me." If she is tired of her boyfriend, she'll leave him for you now. If a prospect is ready to become ROY or MVP, he'd be on the 25 man roster now.
A lot of teams with smaller budgets than the Sox make the playoffs more than the Sox' usual once or twice a decade, without taking such a cavalier attitude toward prospects.
There's a large middle ground between holding on needlessly and trading them for less than they are worth.

Hitmen77
01-13-2008, 01:27 PM

Agreed. Quentin is certainly not guaranteed to succeed, but I like his chances of succeeding in the majors at least as much as Chris Carter. He has a huge potential upside.

Yes, I'm only cautiously optimistic because I remember how Brian Anderson was touted as "can't miss" 2 years ago. But if Quentin can repeat his minor league success at the major league level, he's going to be a huge addition to our lineup.

JB98
01-13-2008, 01:44 PM
A lot of teams with smaller budgets than the Sox make the playoffs more than the Sox' usual once or twice a decade, without taking such a cavalier attitude toward prospects.
There's a large middle ground between holding on needlessly and trading them for less than they are worth.

I don't think we have traded them away for less than they are worth. Our farm system is bad and unproductive. I'm glad we're getting *anything* in return for these players.

batmanZoSo
01-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Agreed. Quentin is certainly not guaranteed to succeed, but I like his chances of succeeding in the majors at least as much as Chris Carter. He has a huge potential upside.

Yes, I'm only cautiously optimistic because I remember how Brian Anderson was touted as "can't miss" 2 years ago. But if Quentin can repeat his minor league success at the major league level, he's going to be a huge addition to our lineup.

I would put money on Quentin succeeding. He has a good eye and the Sox organization is pretty good at scouting and developing corner OF and IF players.

champagne030
01-13-2008, 02:17 PM

Two years? :rolleyes:

He would have been in the mix to replace Gavin if/when he needs to be released after spring training and he could've provided competition for Danks.

soxfanreggie
01-13-2008, 02:46 PM
They're asking too much for him. The Yankees, while still offering huge contracts up, have brought in some youth making low money. You not only have to "mortgage your future" to get him, but also shell out $25 million a year to get them. Add in the luxury tax on the contract, and you're paying a heck of a lot more than that. When they can keep some good prospects and bring them up through the system, they can replace expensive talent (like Giambi-08 after club option is probably not exercise for 09, Mussina-08, Pavano-08 after club option for 09 is not exercised, Damon-after 09) who have expiring contracts in the next year or two.

cards press box
01-13-2008, 10:41 PM
I would put money on Quentin succeeding. He has a good eye and the Sox organization is pretty good at scouting and developing corner OF and IF players.

Some numbers that Mr. Madden might not have considered:

2005 Tuscon (PCL) -- in 452 AB's, Quentin hit .301 (.422 OBP), 21 HR, 89 RBI, 9 SB.

2006 Tuscon -- in 318 AB's, Quentin hit .286 (.422 OBP), 9 HR, 50 RBI, 5 SB.

2006 Arizona -- in 166 AB's, Quentin hit .253 (.342 OBP), 9 HR, 32 RBI, 1 SB.

Quentin had an injured left shoulder in 2007. If Quentin is healthy this year, he should hit well and play good defense.

Frontman
01-13-2008, 11:05 PM

Those smaller budget teams also play in divisions that stink; some of them could have a division champion with a .500 record.....

That being said, I don't understand how a single A pitcher being traded and a AA pitcher being traded amounts to "selling out" the farm system.

Prospects may or may not pay off. Some have (Chris Young, I think we'd all love to see him back in a Sox uniform) but many more don't.

DumpJerry
01-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Two years? :rolleyes:

He would have been in the mix to replace Gavin if/when he needs to be released after spring training and he could've provided competition for Danks.
Really? Ahead of Broadway?