PDA

View Full Version : Legacy Brick Plaza Unveiling

ChiSoxGirl
01-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Chris Rongey had Christine O'Reilly (Dir. of Community Relations) on White Sox Weekly this morning and there's been a change to the planned unveiling of the Legacy Brick Plaza. It's no longer going to be done on Opening Day. She said that everyone who ordered a brick is going to be getting a letter in a couple weeks, explaining the change. In short, what they're going to do instead is hold a special unveiling before the game on Friday, April 11, the first night home game of the season. In the letter, people who purchased bricks are going to be offered the opportunity to buy game tickets for that night's contest against DET, and will also be given more details about the pre-game unveiling ceremony.

I think this is a cool idea because obviously not everyone is lucky enough to go to Opening Day (either because they can't get tickets or the time off work for an afternoon first pitch), and having it on a Friday night might work better for more people. Thoughts?

esbrechtel
01-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Sweet! I can't wait to see my family's brick

skobabe8
01-12-2008, 03:45 PM
So will the area be covered/off limits until April 11??

ChiSoxGirl
01-12-2008, 04:04 PM
So will the area be covered/off limits until April 11??

That's how Christine O'Reilly made it sound.... :dunno: I guess we'll find out more when we get our letters in a few weeks.

cbotnyse
01-12-2008, 05:28 PM
are there still bricks/spots available?

bryPt
01-12-2008, 06:06 PM
SWEET! I cannot wait for my family to see the brick I bought dedicated to my father.

ws05champs
01-12-2008, 06:48 PM
April 11 is included in my split season ticket plan. This is great.

ChiSoxGirl
01-12-2008, 10:19 PM
are there still bricks/spots available?

Nope. The last day to purchase a brick was December 1.

BainesHOF
01-12-2008, 10:54 PM
The cynic in me says the team is trying to sell more tickets to Friday's game since Opening Day will likely be a sellout regardless.

soxfan21
01-12-2008, 11:45 PM
I still like this idea because it probably would allow more people to see their bricks when they pull the curtain up. I just can't wait to my family's brick out their.

skottyj242
01-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Ummmm, Friday night the second week of April? It coul be 25 degrees out there. I for sure will be going and taking my dad but I hope it's warm.

jenn2080
01-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Lame.

itsnotrequired
01-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Lame.

How on earth could you have a problem with this?

ws05champs
01-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Ummmm, Friday night the second week of April? It coul be 25 degrees out there. I for sure will be going and taking my dad but I hope it's warm.
Didn't think of that. Maybe I should remember to bring a snow shovel so I can see my brick.

DumpJerry
01-13-2008, 11:57 AM
The cynic in me says the team is trying to sell more tickets to Friday's game since Opening Day will likely be a sellout regardless.
It's a Detroit weekend series. The Son will not have trouble selling 25-30K tickets to those games. This will keep the Detroit numbers down for the Friday game, always a good thing.

jenn2080
01-13-2008, 01:05 PM
How on earth could you have a problem with this?

Never stated I had a problem with it, I just think it is lame.

itsnotrequired
01-13-2008, 01:08 PM

I guess I just don't see how it is lame. What difference does it make when it is unveiled?

:dunno:

nccwsfan
01-13-2008, 02:18 PM

That's a reasonable thought, but ChiSoxGirl made a good point- it allows more people who bought bricks the opportunity to attend the ceremony and the game. Good move by the CWS organization (ps- I can't wait to come up in July to see our family's brick).

chisoxmike
01-13-2008, 02:22 PM
This will keep the Detroit numbers down for the Friday game, always a good thing.

How so? Will Tigers fans say "Oh ****, they doing that unveiling thing of the brinks. Let's not go."

Doubtful.

Never underestimate the power of the MSU and University of Michigan grads from Michigan that immigrated to the north side. They're a pesky bunch.

itsnotrequired
01-13-2008, 03:07 PM
How so? Will Tigers fans say "Oh ****, they doing that unveiling thing of the brinks. Let's not go."

Doubtful.

Never underestimate the power of the MSU and University of Michigan grads from Michigan that immigrated to the north side. They're a pesky bunch.

I'm gonna show up just to boo the Tigers until my throat is hoarse.

DumpJerry
01-13-2008, 11:25 PM

Doubtful.

Fewer tickets will be available for them to buy since the White Sox will be taking a bunch off the market for general sale.

dcb56
01-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Fewer tickets will be available for them to buy since the White Sox will be taking a bunch off the market for general sale.

The White Sox weren't able to sell out any of the home games against the Tigers in 2007, what makes you think tickets will be in such high demand for an early April game coming off a 90 loss season that there won't be plenty available for everyone?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is the case.

KnightSox
01-14-2008, 01:31 AM
My sister and I bought one for my Father and Grandfather, my Grandfather is 90 years old so we will wait until it is a warm non-game day to get him out there.

TomBradley72
01-14-2008, 07:45 AM
I think this is nice idea...alot of people can't get tix (or take time off for work) for Opening Day...a Friday night game (while potentially pretty cold) is a much more accessible event for most people. I don't think there's anything "cynical" about assuming they are motivated to maximize ticket sales...I'm pretty sure that's the basis of their business.

Can't wait to see where my brick is (wife gave me one for Christmas a year ago)...we also have one at Comerica Park (she's from Michigan...we had a huge group outing to a Tigers game the day after we got married...it was the the year they opened their new park).

skottyj242
01-14-2008, 08:44 AM
Wasn't the first Friday night home game last year colded out? Great idea.

jenn2080
01-14-2008, 09:21 AM

Yeah and cancelled.

itsnotrequired
01-14-2008, 09:41 AM

Yeah and cancelled.

What's your point? The high was 63 on the first Friday night home game of 2005. It was 60 in 2006. The temperature on Friday night last year (or any other previous year) is completely irrelevant.

A.T. Money
01-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Sounds like having a problem with it to me. If not, you wouldn't have any stance at all.

I'll be there! I got brick number 7!

skottyj242
01-14-2008, 10:10 AM
What's your point? The high was 63 on the first Friday night home game of 2005. It was 60 in 2006. The temperature on Friday night last year (or any other previous year) is completely irrelevant.

My point is that if it's cold out I'm not going to take my parents so they can potentially freeze their asses off. I also know people who got bricks and are planning on taking their younger siblings who also don't like the cold. It could be 80 out for all I know and we'll be lucky but it can also be 25 out.

skottyj242
01-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Sounds like having a problem with it to me. If not, you wouldn't have any stance at all.

Actually the problem she is having is on the same level that I am having. Some people only get so many days off and have to schedule them in advance. So my father has already taken opening day off and now he doesn't really need to, so he loses a day that he can take later in the year.

itsnotrequired
01-14-2008, 10:15 AM
My point is that if it's cold out I'm not going to take my parents so they can potentially freeze their asses off. I also know people who got bricks and are planning on taking their younger siblings who also don't like the cold. It could be 80 out for all I know and we'll be lucky but it can also be 25 out.

And it could be 25 in the day on Monday and 45 on Friday night. More than likely, it would be warmer on Monday in the day than Friday at night but there is no guarantee. I suppose they could hold off announcing the ceremony date until they have a halfway decent weather forecast but that could create problems with people buying tickets in time.

Bottom line, it is April in Chicago so it is pretty much a crap shoot. Dress in layers, "Bear weather" and so forth...

jenn2080
01-14-2008, 10:21 AM

I just think it is lame thats all. No other reason. It should have been opening day like planned.

skottyj242
01-14-2008, 10:22 AM
And it could be 25 in the day on Monday and 45 on Friday night. More than likely, it would be warmer on Monday in the day than Friday at night but there is no guarantee. I suppose they could hold off announcing the ceremony date until they have a halfway decent weather forecast but that could create problems with people buying tickets in time.

Bottom line, it is April in Chicago so it is pretty much a crap shoot. Dress in layers, "Bear weather" and so forth...

I just have more problems with them announcing it now. They said from day one that it was going to be Opening Day so we have all planned on being there on Opening Day for the ceremony. Some people have already made plans and taken full days off because of this.

itsnotrequired
01-14-2008, 10:36 AM
I just have more problems with them announcing it now. They said from day one that it was going to be Opening Day so we have all planned on being there on Opening Day for the ceremony. Some people have already made plans and taken full days off because of this.

I hear ya on that. I guess it is better to announce it now rather than the beginning of March or something like that.

A.T. Money
01-14-2008, 12:10 PM
Actually the problem she is having is on the same level that I am having. Some people only get so many days off and have to schedule them in advance. So my father has already taken opening day off and now he doesn't really need to, so he loses a day that he can take later in the year.

Dude, it's January. This game is April. That's plenty of notice.

NoNeckEra
01-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Anyone know how many bricks they wound up selling?

skottyj242
01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Dude, it's January. This game is April. That's plenty of notice.

Dude, I bought it over a year ago. Dude, I have been planning on taking my dad for over a year. Dude, he took the day off when their calendar came out and someone already took off that Friday. Dude, I'm still going to go and take him I just don't like when plans change. Dude, what if people bought flights to come in for Opening Day already and now they can't see their brick. Dude, get down from your tower.

itsnotrequired
01-14-2008, 12:35 PM
dude!

A.T. Money
01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Dude, I bought it over a year ago. Dude, I have been planning on taking my dad for over a year. Dude, he took the day off when their calendar came out and someone already took off that Friday. Dude, I'm still going to go and take him I just don't like when plans change. Dude, what if people bought flights to come in for Opening Day already and now they can't see their brick. Dude, get down from your tower.

Dude, I have a bucket. Dude, fill it!

Chill out. ***** ***** *****...that's all people seem to do. No matter what the situation is, people just gotta *****.

BainesHOF
01-14-2008, 04:20 PM
I just have more problems with them announcing it now. They said from day one that it was going to be Opening Day...

Very good point.

Maybe on Opening Day they'll be busy still counting the money they're making on Soxfest.

KenBerryGrab
01-23-2008, 11:39 AM
We got our replica brick in the mail yesterday. Very nice! :D:

RTI_SoxFan
01-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Anyone heard anything about this lately? When is the ceremony being held, opening day? First Friday night game?

soxfan21
01-28-2008, 02:07 PM
Supposedly it is going to be on the first friday night game and everyone is suppose to be getting letters in the mail regarding this. I still haven't received my letter yet and was sort of wonderding the same thing. I think this was brought up about 2 weeks ago, and when it was brought up then, it was said that all people that purchased a brick would receive a letter in the mail saying that the unveiling would be moved to the first friday night game. My guess is that people should be getting letters either this week or next week, but that is just my guess though.

Pods4455
01-28-2008, 02:22 PM
ohhh man! I really wanna go... I hate that Im due on April 14th! It makes going to ANY games that series virtually impossible-- i dont even know if they'd let a 39 week pregnant lady IN to a friday night game. HAHA! I do have to say though- our brick- says "Weldon and Barb, Tracy and Valerie, Melissa and Matthew. Number One Sox Fan's"...

Weldon and Bark are my grandparents, tracy and valerie, my parents- my little brother and I are Melissa and Matthew..

My dad told the guy what to put on the brick.

And made "Fans" posessive.

There def shouldnt be a " ' ".. haha!! So now we joke that the " ' " before the "s" in "fan's" is Adler (my son)... we just didnt know it when we ordered the brick. LOL!

whitesoxwilkes
01-28-2008, 04:03 PM
ohhh man! I really wanna go... I hate that Im due on April 14th! It makes going to ANY games that series virtually impossible-- i dont even know if they'd let a 39 week pregnant lady IN to a friday night game. HAHA! I do have to say though- our brick- says "Weldon and Barb, Tracy and Valerie, Melissa and Matthew. Number One Sox Fan's"...

Weldon and Bark are my grandparents, tracy and valerie, my parents- my little brother and I are Melissa and Matthew..

My dad told the guy what to put on the brick.

And made "Fans" posessive.

There def shouldnt be a " ' ".. haha!! So now we joke that the " ' " before the "s" in "fan's" is Adler (my son)... we just didnt know it when we ordered the brick. LOL!

My wife's last game this past season was the last home game of the season.

Our son was born that following Wednesday.

soxfan21
02-18-2008, 08:10 PM
So has anyone received any letters in the mail yet regarding when the bricks will be unveiled? I noticed on whitesox.com today that they "officially" changed the unveiling date from Opening Day to sometime in early April: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/fan_forum/forms/brick_paver.jsp

Just waiting for my letter, and wondering if anyone else has received one yet.

ChiSoxGirl
02-18-2008, 08:34 PM
So has anyone received any letters in the mail yet regarding when the bricks will be unveiled? I noticed on whitesox.com today that they "officially" changed the unveiling date from Opening Day to sometime in early April: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/fan_forum/forms/brick_paver.jsp

No letter for me yet. In fact, I was thinking about this over the weekend when I ran across the confirmation letter from my brick purchase.

I'd have to imagine the letters will be going out soon because when Christine O'Reilly initially mentioned this, she said that accompanying the letter would be the opportunity to purchase "special" game tickets for the unveiling date of April 11; and I'd think they'd have to give people some relatively advanced notice to decide whether or not they want to buy tickets.

GlassSox
02-19-2008, 07:29 PM

I haven't received a letter and I'm real anxious to find out for sure when the unveiling will be.

KnightSox
02-20-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm still waiting too.

skottyj242
02-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Will the letter get sent to the person that bought the brick or who the brick was mailed to?

RTI_SoxFan
02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
I just sent an email to a contact I have with the Sox about this topic today. I'll report back when I hear something, if anything.

skottyj242
02-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I just sent an email to a contact I have with the Sox about this topic today. I'll report back when I hear something, if anything.

If your contact is a buddy who sees Kenny Williams in an airport talking on his cell phone keep it to yourself.

RTI_SoxFan
02-20-2008, 12:33 PM
If your contact is a buddy who sees Kenny Williams in an airport talking on his cell phone keep it to yourself.

How did I know a comment like that was coming... regardless, no... it's someone in the front office who handles corporate events and media relations.

grv1974
02-20-2008, 12:38 PM
How did I know a comment like that was coming... regardless, no... it's someone in the front office who handles corporate events and media relations.

Yeah, that skottyj242 starts crap with everybody.

skottyj242
02-20-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah, that skottyj242 starts crap with everybody.

Hey, I was mentioned in the Nicest Person on WSI thread a few times. :rolleyes:

jenn2080
02-20-2008, 12:46 PM

Zip it trouble maker.

soxfan13
02-20-2008, 01:17 PM

Yeah so was Jenn :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wink:

itsnotrequired
02-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Yeah so was Jenn :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :wink:

Everybody hates me.:whiner:

soxfan13
02-20-2008, 01:29 PM

Actually you are the only person I love at this site:tongue:

jenn2080
02-20-2008, 01:33 PM

Im shocked. You are so nice on the board:?:

Region Rat
02-22-2008, 08:31 AM
The date change doesn't bother me, I'll be in Iraq by then anyway. but Hopefully my pops and Lil' brother can make it, they already had their opening day tickets.

RTI_SoxFan
02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
I received an email from an account executive within the White Sox organization that the legacy brick unveiling is supposed to be on Friday, April 11th. She said the person that purchased the brick should be getting a letter in the mail by the 2nd week in March which will contain information on a special ticket purchase.

paciorek1983
02-28-2008, 06:28 PM
The date change doesn't bother me, I'll be in Iraq by then anyway. but Hopefully my pops and Lil' brother can make it, they already had their opening day tickets.

Thank you for your service!

soxfan21
02-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Sounds good, thanks for letting us know.

swisherfan
02-29-2008, 10:38 AM
The first night game of the year is 4/9 against Minnesota......I have tickets,

RTI_SoxFan
02-29-2008, 10:53 AM
The first night game of the year is 4/9 against Minnesota......I have tickets,

But the brick unveiling is Apr 11th so what's your point?

ChiSoxGirl
03-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I got a letter in today's mail inviting me to the Legacy Brick Plaza Unveiling, along with an offer for 1/2 price tickets and the discount code to use for Ticketmaster, and two coupons for 10% off an apparel purchase on the day of the unveiling (April 11). Did anyone else get their letters?

mcg
03-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I received my letter today but I only got one coupon and it's only for the Majestic Custom T-shirt Shop. Custom jerseys and memorabilia not included but it is good until Sept. 28.

The letter did say they may change the unveiling date if there is inclement weather.

chisoxmike
03-08-2008, 06:10 PM
The letter did say they may change the unveiling date if there is inclement weather.

:rolling:

soxfan21
03-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Didn't get anything yet, hopefully in the upcoming week I will receive something.

ChiSoxGirl
03-08-2008, 10:20 PM
I received my letter today but I only got one coupon and it's only for the Majestic Custom T-shirt Shop. Custom jerseys and memorabilia not included but it is good until Sept. 28.

I wonder why you only got one coupon.... And after reading the fine print, I realized the coupon was for the Custom T-Shirt Shop and doesn't expire until the last home game of the season. :redface:

Region Rat
03-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Thank you for your service!
Thank You!

ChiSoxGirl
03-09-2008, 05:12 PM
I ordered my 1/2 price Lower Reserved tickets last night- Sec. 159, Row 8! It was either Sec. 159 or 103 and considering it's likely going to be cold, I chose the left field seats so if/when the wind is blowing off the Lake, it'll be at our back. :thumbsup:

Law11
03-10-2008, 08:57 AM
ANy word on where you brick will actually be. I wont be going to the unveiling game but was curious as to how to find your brick.

skottyj242
03-10-2008, 09:25 AM
I have to order my tickets.

MushMouth
03-10-2008, 10:05 AM
crap, forgot my letter today w/ the password.

will have to order tonight

Jurr
03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Hmmm....do you think they are stalling on out of towners? I have yet to receive any type of notification. :(:

soxfan21
03-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Haven't received mine either, but I wouldn't be worried about it. I would say that we would probably get something this week along with everyone else that purchased a brick from out of town. Being as though you are out of state though, my guess is you would receive something within the next week or two.

soxfan21
03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I just received my letter from the mail carrier right when I was pulling in my driveway, and got the discounted seats in sec. 101 row 3. Should be a really fun, and cold, night at The Cell, GO SOX!

asg2003ws2005
03-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Bricks are now being layed as we speak.

sox1970
03-12-2008, 08:43 PM
The White Sox will unveil a 15-foot-by-18-foot sculpture April 11 that commemorates their 2005 World Series title.

GlassSox
03-12-2008, 11:23 PM
A coworker received his letter but I have not. Wonder what's up? :scratch:

Update: Received my letter today.

salty99
03-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Here is a link: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080313&content_id=2423948&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

will have more opportunties to buy a brick

RTI_SoxFan
03-14-2008, 03:08 PM
I believe you have until March 28th to get your discounted seats. Got my letter a few days ago and got some great seats!

sox1970
03-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Pics

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photogallery/year_2008/month_03/day_18/cf2442425.html

itsnotrequired
03-18-2008, 06:59 PM
Pics

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photogallery/year_2008/month_03/day_18/cf2442425.html

Quite a few bricks with no inscription...

It's Dankerific
03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
looks like the white ones are supposed to be that way.

itsnotrequired
03-18-2008, 08:54 PM
looks like the white ones are supposed to be that way.

Those aren't the ones I am talking about.

ChiSoxGirl
03-18-2008, 09:00 PM
Pics

Wow, does that look awesome; it's really coming together beautifully! I can't wait for the big unveiling in a few weeks!

chisox77
03-18-2008, 10:28 PM
Looks great!!

:cool:

skobabe8
03-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Those aren't the ones I am talking about.

I guess thats why they are going back on sale this year.

asg2003ws2005
03-19-2008, 09:12 AM
gotta love the sox.

champions plaza not only has an error brick(frank thomas his 400th HR in chicago, NOT tampa), but an AD! There's plenty of bricks left to sell, and they let us know we can "make our own memory" by calling 866 sox brick.

skottyj242
03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I drove by yesterday and checked it out myself. I will post pictures when I buy a camera.

soxfan21
03-19-2008, 11:34 AM
So do you guys think that they will still mail out maps telling us where our bricks are at? I thought I read something about these maps when I first ordered my brick. It would be nice and also would help avoid mass confusion on the 11th when they get unveild and there are a few thousand people looking for their brick before the game.

Law11
03-19-2008, 11:36 AM
hundreds of people banging into each other looking sounds like fun...

asg2003ws2005
03-19-2008, 11:45 AM
So do you guys think that they will still mail out maps telling us where our bricks are at? I thought I read something about these maps when I first ordered my brick. It would be nice and also would help avoid mass confusion on the 11th when they get unveild and there are a few thousand people looking for their brick before the game.few thousand? more like 300...PLENTY OF OPEN SPOTS.

itsnotrequired
03-19-2008, 11:47 AM
few thousand? more like 300...PLENTY OF OPEN SPOTS.

Get real. There are at least 3,000 inscribed bricks in the monument.

Law11
03-19-2008, 12:19 PM
The sox site has a photo gallery of about 10 pics. One shows hawks and his sons brick..

Goose
03-26-2008, 03:35 PM
I just bought my tix for the April 14th game and will be taking my dad.

Does anyone know if there is a way to find out how to locate your brick? I am not sure how many bricks were sold, but I certainly do not want to miss the first inning becuase I am still searching for my brick...

itsnotrequired
03-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Does anyone know if there is a way to find out how to locate your brick? I am not sure how many bricks were sold, but I certainly do not want to miss the first inning becuase I am still searching for my brick...

The Sox will be sending out a letter stating the location but I have not seen a timeframe for when that is supposed to happen. One would hope it would be before the unveiling.

Goose
03-26-2008, 03:44 PM
The Sox will be sending out a letter stating the location but I have not seen a timeframe for when that is supposed to happen. One would hope it would be before the unveiling.

Is this a seperate letter from the one that had the promotional code?

itsnotrequired
03-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Is this a seperate letter from the one that had the promotional code?

Yes.

itsnotrequired
04-05-2008, 02:39 PM
Just got my paver location letter today. It only says what "section" it is in, it doesn't show the exact section. There are 15 sections total.

DumpJerry
04-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Got mine today, too. My brick is in Section P5, at the top, baby!

Nellie_Fox
04-05-2008, 04:52 PM
:tomatoaward:

ChiSoxGirl
04-05-2008, 06:11 PM
No letter for me today; hopefully it'll arrive on Monday.

ws05champs
04-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Got mine today, too. My brick is in Section P5, at the top, baby!

Me too. P5 must be the good section.

soxfan21
04-05-2008, 08:07 PM
No letter for me either, hopefully I get mine on Monday.

It's Dankerific
04-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Section B1 for me. I kinda figured, I got brick 14 =)

grv1974
04-05-2008, 09:04 PM
hundreds of people banging into each other looking sounds like fun...

Brick Plaza mosh pit

itsnotrequired
04-05-2008, 10:47 PM
P1, Ftw

Jerko
04-06-2008, 11:05 AM
P3 for me. Looks like the area where Steve Lyons dropped trou.

bryPt
04-06-2008, 12:17 PM
B2 for me, counting the minutes for the game Friday! By the, we should have a 2 game lead or so in the division....

Domeshot17
04-06-2008, 12:49 PM
p2 for the misses and I

Jurr
04-07-2008, 09:47 AM
I was at the park yesterday and I looked for a while for my brick, to no avail. I'm still waiting on the letter. Boooo...

Frontman
04-07-2008, 10:17 AM
My late uncle John's wife got one for him. I couldn't swing getting one.

From what I understand, the plaza looks incredible.

MushMouth
04-07-2008, 10:22 AM
P4

I'm sure I'll bump into a few of you Friday. Guessing it'll be tough to take pictures with all the people, I'm might loiter til first pitch so I can get a few good pics with my son next to the brick.

itsnotrequired
04-07-2008, 10:40 AM
My late uncle John's wife got one for him. I couldn't swing getting one.

From what I understand, the plaza looks incredible.

I believe they are still selling them.

Drove by today. The center monument is covered in plastic but you could see the pavers. It was roped off though. I don't know if they will put a tarp over the pavers until Friday.

soxfan21
04-08-2008, 05:34 AM
I tried looking for my brick yesterday as well, but there were too many people there and after about 10 min. I just gave up, figure I'll just find it on thursday or friday.

DumpJerry
04-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Tried to locate my brick yesterday. No luck.

Friend saw one that said "Go Cubs Go!" Another friend wants to get one below it that reads "to Hell'

Saw one that said "We always call it Comiskey. The Mackowiak family"

soxfan21
04-08-2008, 07:57 AM
I guess my letter got sent to my parents house, I am in section P5.

Bruizer
04-08-2008, 08:29 AM
Mine's in P5 too, behind second base.

Bru :cool:

KenBerryGrab
04-08-2008, 12:35 PM
I found ours after a LONG search (luckily before too many people showed up). It looks nice.

I would be upset if ours were one of the few I saw with chips in the corner.

scarsofthumper
04-08-2008, 04:48 PM
We got our letter today. We're also in P5. We also took advantage of the half price deal and got tickets in Sec 110

asg2003ws2005
04-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I LUV error bricks.

Didnt know that Frank Thomas hit his 400th HR in Tampa, considering that I WAS at Comiskey when he hit it.

Domeshot17
04-08-2008, 05:14 PM
What do you do if they typo'd your brick? I could be wrong, my fiance's mom went and found ours, picture messaged me, and they have every letter but 1 uppercased. (KATiE & TONY).

Cat Thief
04-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Was it just me or did those bricks look sort of crappy? Some were uneven and the grooves weren't filled in with sand or whatever the hell they put in there.

scarsofthumper
04-08-2008, 06:07 PM
What do you do if they typo'd your brick? I could be wrong, my fiance's mom went and found ours, picture messaged me, and they have every letter but 1 uppercased. (KATiE & TONY).Did you guys get sent a brick to your house, and if so, was that one spelled correctly?

Dibbs
04-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Was it just me or did those bricks look sort of crappy? Some were uneven and the grooves weren't filled in with sand or whatever the hell they put in there.

I was dissapointed with how it looked as well. Shotty craftsmanship if you ask me.

ChiSoxGirl
04-09-2008, 09:16 PM
This is a few days late, but I've been without the internet since I got home from Opening Day on Monday, and finally got it back tonight!

Anyway, I got my letter on Monday- after finding my brick on my own- and I'm in section P4... right in front of the soon-to-be unveiled monument.

Now I have to share a pretty unbelievable story about how I found my brick. As a precursor to the story, my brick memorializes my two grandpas, who passed away in 1986 & 1990.

I got to the ballpark around noon and started searching for it immediately. After 15 minutes of walking around, no luck. DumpJerry called me to see where I was and when I told him I was looking for my brick, he told me to come meet them at Gate 2, as I'd drive myself crazy trying to find my brick without my location letter (he had his location and was unsuccessful at finding his brick). I told him I'd be there in a little while and hung up.

I decided to take another look along the first base side of the plaza and as I was looking, a gust of wind blew the ends of my scarf forward, so they were now hanging in front of me. I was facing the monument when this happened, so I stopped to fix my scarf and when I looked down, my brick was literally RIGHT in front of my feet. It wasn't off to the left or off to the right... my toes were literally touching the bottom of my brick; I shuddered. It was like my grandpas gave me a sign to look down where I was standing. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before, and I thought it was pretty amazing and unbelievable.

scarsofthumper
04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
This is a few days late, but I've been without the internet since I got home from Opening Day on Monday, and finally got it back tonight!

Anyway, I got my letter on Monday- after finding my brick on my own- and I'm in section P4... right in front of the soon-to-be unveiled monument.

Now I have to share a pretty unbelievable story about how I found my brick. As a precursor to the story, my brick memorializes my two grandpas, who passed away in 1986 & 1990.

I got to the ballpark around noon and started searching for it immediately. After 15 minutes of walking around, no luck. DumpJerry called me to see where I was and when I told him I was looking for my brick, he told me to come meet them at Gate 2, as I'd drive myself crazy trying to find my brick without my location letter (he had his location and was unsuccessful at finding his brick). I told him I'd be there in a little while and hung up.

I decided to take another look along the first base side of the plaza and as I was looking, a gust of wind blew the ends of my scarf forward, so they were now hanging in front of me. I was facing the monument when this happened, so I stopped to fix my scarf and when I looked down, my brick was literally RIGHT in front of my feet. It wasn't off to the left or off to the right... my toes were literally touching the bottom of my brick; I shuddered. It was like my grandpas gave me a sign to look down where I was standing. Nothing like that has ever happened to me before, and I thought it was pretty amazing and unbelievable.That's very awesome! I hope I have that kind of luck on Friday! I went down there last weekend killing time before meeting my gf and so I went to see if I could find it (but mine was in a barricaded area and couldn't really see it).

My brick is a memorial for my dad who passed away 1 day before Game 1 of the 2005 WS. As a matter of fact, the last time I spent time with my dad alive was watching the Astros/Cardinals NLCS and bringing him is 05WS hat, which I had just bought for him.

It has the words "Never Let It Go" on it, just like what's on my tattoo for him (Which is also a White Sox tattoo that I have)

ChiSoxGirl
04-09-2008, 09:37 PM
That's very awesome! I hope I have that kind of luck on Friday! I went down there last weekend killing time before meeting my gf and so I went to see if I could find it (but mine was in a barricaded area and couldn't really see it).

My brick is a memorial for my dad who passed away 1 day before Game 1 of the 2005 WS. As a matter of fact, the last time I spent time with my dad alive was watching the Astros/Cardinals NLCS and bringing him is 05WS hat, which I had just bought for him.

It has the words "Never Let It Go" on it, just like what's on my tattoo for him (Which is also a White Sox tattoo that I have)

OMG, how touching. Just reading some of the these bricks the other day was unbelievable- all of the memorials to people, all of the memories etched forever into the history of the ballpark. It brings tears to your eyes.

scarsofthumper
04-09-2008, 09:41 PM
OMG, how touching. Just reading some of the these bricks the other day was unbelievable- all of the memorials to people, all of the memories etched forever into the history of the ballpark. It brings tears to your eyes.

This is kind of the mini memorial I have in my apartment for him.
http://a234.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_d68179098578af3b962ec29ff9bab9e9.jpg

This is the tattoo I got for him. Actually got it done where a lot of Chicago Bears get their ink done, Liberty Tattoo in Libertyville.
http://a807.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/l_d5edb043cfe78bc1bd71f50e5f6480c6.jpg

Domeshot17
04-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Awesome tattoo man, what a great way to remember him.

ChiSoxGirl
04-09-2008, 10:15 PM
This is kind of the mini memorial I have in my apartment for him.
http://a234.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_d68179098578af3b962ec29ff9bab9e9.jpg

This is the tattoo I got for him. Actually got it done where a lot of Chicago Bears get their ink done, Liberty Tattoo in Libertyville.
http://a807.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/123/l_d5edb043cfe78bc1bd71f50e5f6480c6.jpg

That stuff is really awesome, and it's a great way to honor your dad's memory.

scarsofthumper
04-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Awesome tattoo man, what a great way to remember him.

That stuff is really awesome, and it's a great way to honor your dad's memory.Thank you :)

DumpJerry
04-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Found my brick tonight (Weds). It took me only about 10 seconds this time. Turns out, it is about one brick away from the Mackowiak family brick! I saw their brick on Monday, don't know how I missed mine.... My brick is a memoriam to my dad.

bryPt
04-10-2008, 06:31 AM
I also purchased a brick in memory of my father, who even though he was more of a hockey fan, took me to ever game that fell on my birthday for 16 years. I am a sox fan because of him, and I wanted to thank him for it. Can't wait to see it Friday!

scarsofthumper
04-10-2008, 09:37 AM
I think it'd be cool if some of you guys posted pics of your bricks that you take at the plaza. There's some really good ones out there.

hi im skot
04-10-2008, 10:13 AM
My mom got bricks for my dad, sister, and me. I was able to find all three before the game last night.

I'm sure we'll be taking pictures soon...

RTI_SoxFan
04-11-2008, 11:27 AM
Got 3 letters in the mail yesterday with my dad's brick locations. He passed on 9/1/07 and we received 3 bricks in his memory.

I can't wait.

I'm planning on getting to the park at about 5:00 today. Does anyone know if the area will be roped off or anything?

scarsofthumper
04-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Got 3 letters in the mail yesterday with my dad's brick locations. He passed on 9/1/07 and we received 3 bricks in his memory.

I can't wait.

I'm planning on getting to the park at about 5:00 today. Does anyone know if the area will be roped off or anything?I know they had metal barricades when I went over there last Saturday

soxfan21
04-11-2008, 01:51 PM

I can't wait.

I'm planning on getting to the park at about 5:00 today. Does anyone know if the area will be roped off or anything?

When I went there on Opening Day people were allowed to find there bricks and what not. The only area that was off limits was where the monument was.

RTI_SoxFan
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
When I went there on Opening Day people were allowed to find there bricks and what not. The only area that was off limits was where the monument was.

Good to know, thanks!

TheQuestion
04-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Headed to the game tonight, anyone know exactly when the 'unveiling' will happen?

Luckily I know exactly where my brick is - I found it online when looking at the official gallery on Whitesox.com - gallery 4, picture 8! 2nd row from the bottom, 6th brick over!

Couldn't believe it when I saw it online!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/photogallery/year_2008/month_03/day_18/cf2442424.html

salty99
04-11-2008, 05:01 PM
6PM unveiling

itsnotrequired
04-11-2008, 11:18 PM
they showed some images on the scoreboard tonight. awesome.

oeo
04-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Here's a little video about the monument's design and construction:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080411-chicago-white-sox-championship-moments,1,944819.story

All I have to say is: WOW. Definitely not what I was expecting...they did a great job. I can't wait to see it.

RadioheadRocks
04-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Still haven't received my letter with my brick location yet... of course I'm out here in Tornado Alley, so it may still be a few days before it finally gets here.

ws05champs
04-12-2008, 12:14 AM
I went to the unveiling today. The crowd was at an acceptable size but the sound system was awful. I couldn't have been more than 100 feet from the monument but could hear none of the speakers.

Those in the crowd that could hear would let out a cheer when someone was introduced to speak - with one big exception. The crowd let out a big boo. The word came back that Governor Rob was just introduced. The crowd then let out a "Recall" chant and as Governor Rob left the podium the crowd broke into a round of "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye." It was hilarious - and pitiful at the same time.

It was getting a little late by the time the ceremony finished. Plus the crowd was milling around so we decided to get a closer look at the monument on another day. Yet from a distance, the monument looks spectacular. I am very impressed.

DeadMoney
04-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Saw the monument tonight. It was well done and captures everyone in some way/shape/form from the 2005 run (even David Sanders (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/sandeda01.shtml) who had 2.0 IP in '05).

If there are any Bajenaru or Pedro Lopez fans out there, don't worry, they're covered too. Anyway, it seems like anyone who was on the roster in '05 has their name (and other basic info) on bricks on the back-bottom of the monument.

DumpJerry
04-12-2008, 12:58 AM
The ceremony was done in a pathetic manner. Most of the fans were on the backside of the monument because there was only so much room between the front of it and the parking lot. They did not place any speakers in the rear for the 80% of the crowd that was back there to hear.

If they can pay Uribe $4,500,000, why can't they get a darn speaker????:angry::angry::angry:

The monument itself looks very nice, by the way.

ksimpson14
04-12-2008, 01:06 AM
The mic kept cutting out on TV too, looked like some technical difficulties, helped by the wind and weather. Why even invite the governor? The only credit I'll give is he took a lot of insults, booing, and whatnot. If you were there but couldn't catch it because of the sound, he said he was there for 2 reasons, one to represent Illinois, and 2, to represent the Cubs (to congratulate the Sox). He then ended by saying he hoped we finished behind the Cubs :angry: (but he threw in 'in the WS' at the end). Also had a lot of JR ass kissing in between

Watching video of Honda while he works is a beautiful thing btw :D

Domeshot17
04-12-2008, 01:28 AM
agreed on the messed up speaker, however it was cool with the guys showing it off. I like the monument, but I think the Pods Homer should be a bit more displayed, It was one of the 3 biggest hits of the World Series. I guess if that is my only complaint it says something. It really is awesome. It makes you relive every moment of 2005. I mean I haven't even thought of the name Kevin Walker in 3 years, and he is there too.

The one thing that really pissed me off, My Brick is messed up with the Typo. I don't get it because my sample one is fine. Its not terribly bad, just Reads TONY & KATiE but I still think Im going to call and see if it can be fixed. For what, 200 bucks, it should be done right.

Stringer
04-12-2008, 03:26 AM
I got a chance to get a real quick glimpse of it on my way out of tonight's game.

Very nicely done.

bryPt
04-12-2008, 08:25 AM
Here are my photos of the event last night. FYI, I am no poparrazzi (if you look at my site, you will notice I do not do people), and I had to hold my camera over my head for most of the shots during the ceremony, but I think you will get the drift. I missed the players coming out because Ron Kittle and I were goofing around with a couple kids! (another reason why I could never be a photographer for the Sox, I love the team too much and get into everything too much to sit there and shoot!)

http://www.blue-echoes.com/portfolio/soxcp/index.html

Found my brick, got a tear in my eye and thought of my dad, but did not photograph it. Need to do it right.

Why Blogo was even there is still mind boggling to me.

Steelrod
04-12-2008, 08:34 AM
I went to the unveiling today. The crowd was at an acceptable size but the sound system was awful. I couldn't have been more than 100 feet from the monument but could hear none of the speakers.

Those in the crowd that could hear would let out a cheer when someone was introduced to speak - with one big exception. The crowd let out a big boo. The word came back that Governor Rob was just introduced. The crowd then let out a "Recall" chant and as Governor Rob left the podium the crowd broke into a round of "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye." It was hilarious - and pitiful at the same time.

It was getting a little late by the time the ceremony finished. Plus the crowd was milling around so we decided to get a closer look at the monument on another day. Yet from a distance, the monument looks spectacular. I am very impressed.
Gov did talk about HIS side of town, which in my mind, made the boo's deserved.
Isn't he the governor of both sides of town?

hsnterprize
04-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Gov did talk about HIS side of town, which in my mind, made the boo's deserved.
Isn't he the governor of both sides of town?Technically...he's the governor of the ENTIRE state of Illinois. However, everybody knows he's a "die-hard, true-blue" Cub fan. So everytime he shows up at a White Sox game, he knows what kind of reaction he's getting. Mayor Daley would get the same kind of reaction if he were to speak to Cubs fans at Wrigley.

SoxandtheCityTee
04-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Have yet to get to the park as I was rained out Thursday, but even watching the video I teared up a bit. :redface: It's really beautiful.

roylestillman
04-12-2008, 10:18 AM
My favorite part is the long hair on Crede. Anybody know who the player (swinging) on right side of the east side of the monument is supposed to be? Its the only one with no name or number visible.

Looks nice. I also wonder a bit about the bricks. They look as though they need one more load of sand over them ti fix them into their position.

I'm betting heads are rolling on Blago's scheduling staff.

sox1970
04-12-2008, 10:39 AM
My favorite part is the long hair on Crede. Anybody know who the player (swinging) on right side of the east side of the monument is supposed to be? Its the only one with no name or number visible.

Looks nice. I also wonder a bit about the bricks. They look as though they need one more load of sand over them ti fix them into their position.

I'm betting heads are rolling on Blago's scheduling staff.

I assume Blum.

itsnotrequired
04-12-2008, 10:40 AM
I assume Blum.

Yup.

oeo
04-12-2008, 10:42 AM

It mentions in this video:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080411-chicago-white-sox-championship-moments,1,944819.story

That it's Blum.

scarsofthumper
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM
We couldn't hear ANYTHING. We got there around 5ish after a surprisingly quick trip on the El. Found our brick accidentally actually. I bent down to itch my leg (I was wearing long shorts last night) and bam! It was there! We then headed to Will Call and got our tickets, since my mom decided to come with for the ceremony. I actually ended up being interviewed by Telemundo's "Orgullo Sox" That was pretty cool. The fireworks when they unveiled it was a nice touch. It's definitely a beautiful monument. In a couple weeks when I go back i'm going to check it out closely.

My mom couldn't handle the cold or wetness so she sat in one of the covered areas and I actually ran into my girlfriend and one of her newly converted friends and sat with them from the 5th inning on. (And I had about 5 drunk women apologizing to me for getting kicked out, since I was wearing a Thome jersey) I'm not liking Section 100 so much just cuz you can't see the screen at all, no matter how you try to look at it.

Now here's where it gets interesting. We left the Cell around 10:15, and caught the Red Line rather quickly. It was being rerouted after Cermak to the Orange/Green/Loop tracks so instead of a Jackson transfer we'd be taking a Clark/Lake transfer, which benefits us cuz it means less time on Blue. We catch a Blue and over the PA they told us that there was a line cut at Harlem, so we'd have to take a bus to Cumberland. We get to Jefferson Park and rather rudely all of us gets kicked off the train, but "there's another train coming right behind it", well that train didn't come for like 20 minutes. So when it comes we get on and then it's a single track to Harlem, and we had to wait. We literally stood between Jefferson Park and Harlem for about another half hour more. When we finally made it to Cumberland and then driving home to Hanover Park, I didn't get home till about 1:45am, compared to leaving at 3pm and getting to the cell about 4:45pm. Still was a great night though.

ChiSoxGirl
04-12-2008, 03:29 PM
It mentions in this video:

That it's Blum.

That video is amazing. I was out there last night and while I staked out a great spot- in the first row of people right behind Reinsdorf, KW and Co.- there was a glare on the monument, so seeing the details of it was difficult. Needless to say, I can see now just how gorgeous it is and how intricate the details of it are. The red velvet rope was constricting and made it hard to see, so I can't wait 'til my next game when I can get a more up-close view of it on both sides.

turners56
04-12-2008, 04:16 PM
The monument is truly amazing, I hope I can get out there this year and see it in person.

whtsx1959
04-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Befor the monument was unveiled, we could see a pointing finger sticking out between tarps. I quickly identified it as Orlando Hernandez's finger from game 3. It makes the monument all the more timeless to have these critical moments cast forever.

TheQuestion
04-13-2008, 10:48 AM
While I overall love the monument, I have to admit I was a little taken back by the a couple of the choices as to who got the sculpted in relief.

Konerko, Uribe, Crede, and Pierzynski were no brainers - amazing plays/reactions from players who were integral to the Sox winning it all, all season long.

But Hernandez and Blum? I understand they were meant to depict important 'moments' from the post season, but baseball is a TEAM game, not a moment game.

I would have much rather seen Podsednik hitting the game winning HR in game 2 (which at the end of the day was more momentus than Konerko's grand slam).

I'd also like to have seen Dye in a statue form (since he was the MVP) - maybe his single up the middle in game 4 which gave us the first and final lead. They could have even used the image where he is pumping his fist as he runs to first.

I just think the statue was designed by a room full of people who watched a highlight reel and didn't understand the season or the team element.

Again no disrespect to Blum or Hernandez, but I think there were more important moments by more important team members.

oeo
04-13-2008, 11:36 AM
While I overall love the monument, I have to admit I was a little taken back by the a couple of the choices as to who got the sculpted in relief.

Konerko, Uribe, Crede, and Pierzynski were no brainers - amazing plays/reactions from players who were integral to the Sox winning it all, all season long.

But Hernandez and Blum? I understand they were meant to depict important 'moments' from the post season, but baseball is a TEAM game, not a moment game.

I would have much rather seen Podsednik hitting the game winning HR in game 2 (which at the end of the day was more momentus than Konerko's grand slam).

I'd also like to have seen Dye in a statue form (since he was the MVP) - maybe his single up the middle in game 4 which gave us the first and final lead. They could have even used the image where he is pumping his fist as he runs to first.

I just think the statue was designed by a room full of people who watched a highlight reel and didn't understand the season or the team element.

Again no disrespect to Blum or Hernandez, but I think there were more important moments by more important team members.

Methinks you have something against Blum and El Duque. How is Blum's homerun any less meaningful than Pods'? I know that for whatever reason it gets a backseat, but come on. It was a game winner, in which the team came back from 4 runs down, and grinded out a win in 14 innings.

El Duque's three outs with the bases loaded was just as pivotal to the team's postseason success as Crede's game-winner in Game 2 of the ALCS. I'm sure a lot of people feel different than you do when it comes to this.

You talk about how those two moments were somehow 'individual' accomplishments, but then you want Dye on there because he was the MVP? :scratch:

Again, it sounds like you have some special attachments that were not fulfilled. I agree that Pods' homerun should be a bigger moment, but I definitely think El Duque and Blum should also be on there.

Also, this wasn't just some drawn-up idea in a few hours like you make it seem. As far as I know, it was a long process, and there were many designs that were rejected before it was finalized. The Sox approved it...it wasn't just some people in a room looking at a highlight film.

Frontman
04-13-2008, 11:49 AM
I don't think the monument could capture every single moment (very few remember Pods diving catch in Game 4 where he dug up a good portion of sod with his knee; for example) that went into the championship run.

I think Blum's homer is a big deal, as the team kept the score tied until he took his shot. El Duque's three outs with the bases loaded against THE DEFENDING CHAMPIONS sure was a big moment. That was drama at its best.

But I agree they could of included Dye. Then again, you could nitpick it apart and find small little flaws and errors.

I for one will look at it as a whole team effort, and this monument captures just a few of the moments that made 2005 special.

DeadMoney
04-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Also, this wasn't just some drawn-up idea in a few hours like you make it seem. As far as I know, it was a long process, and there were many designs that were rejected before it was finalized. The Sox approved it...it wasn't just some people in a room looking at a highlight film.

Correct. I saw an interview with the sculptor where she said something like, "it was a 2 1/2 year process and there were about 4 proposals before we got to this one." So without a doubt, it was well thought out.

And, it's not that those guys didn't make the monument. They did, but in a pixilated version instead (Dye's hit is right in between Konerko and Crede, while Pods - celebration after the HR - is below Garland and Garcia).

So, when there's only so much room for the bronzed moments vs. the pixilated moments (I have no idea what their actually called, so bare with me), you have to realize that they did all they could with what they had.

Although, I too wish that Dye's hit could've made it. Then again, maybe they figured that he got his due as WS MVP (pure speculation).

soxfan21
04-13-2008, 05:26 PM
I was there for the unveiling, but did not stay outside the whole time. Yesterday was the first time that I actually got to see the monument in person. It looks truly amazing and really is beautiful to see this outside our park with all of the bricks there.

chisoxfanatic
04-13-2008, 05:34 PM
I was there for the unveiling, but did not stay outside the whole time. Yesterday was the first time that I actually got to see the monument in person. It looks truly amazing and really is beautiful to see this outside our park with all of the bricks there.
I think it's amazing that you've already been to four games this year when you live in northern LaSalle County! You must have a ton of miles on your vehicle! :o:

soxfan21
04-13-2008, 05:44 PM
I think it's amazing that you've already been to four games this year when you live in northern LaSalle County! You must have a ton of miles on your vehicle! :o:

Yea, they are startin to rack up, but I only took the car to 2 games, the other two I just stayed in the city and took the el to the games.

chisox77
04-13-2008, 08:06 PM
It looks pretty awesome to me. Would be nice to have a reason to build a few more of these monuments!

:cool:

kingpin_rcs
04-13-2008, 09:27 PM

El Duque getting out of the bases loaded no out jam allowed the Sox to win their first post season series in 88 years. It was the pivotal moment that got them over that bump and prevented Boston from regaining any momentum. Also, in one inning it justified Ozzie's decision to put El Duque on the roster instead of Brandon McCarthy - which he was criticized for doing.

I think this is one of those things that can be debated endlessly. How lucky are we! Here we are discussing the pros and cons of the World Championship monument! Hopefully, in a few years there will be a debate on where to put the NEW one!

mweflen
04-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I think it looks really nice, (went to the game today, Sox win 11-0, two grand slams!) but I too was a bit perplexed by Geoff Blum rating a place on the statue. At first, I was like "Is that supposed to be Jamie Burke?" because of the #27 foot pad. Then I figured it must be Blum's homer from game 3. I don't know. I think I would have preferred Dye (game 1 homer, and the WS MVP, no less), AJ or Pods, someone who had been on the team for the whole season, to a rental who made one contribution (albeit certainly a big one).

Actually, I think a sculpture of the whole team celebrating on the mound would have been even better. Everyone gets in that way (including Big Frank). But I guess it was an issue of space.

Eh, either way, as just said above, better to be debating the pros and cons of a world series monument than not.

RTI_SoxFan
04-14-2008, 09:20 AM
I think the monument and the legacy brick plaza are all great!

The ceremony was not that great, however, as you couldn't hear anything. I was lucky to be front row behind the ropes when all the players walked out. Got some great pictures.

I even got to shake the hand of Jerry Reinsdorf.

bryPt
04-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Still questioning the choice of blogo being there. That would be like me or hanger 18 doing the announcing at the Ernie Banks status ceremony. Still questioning how he got re-elected, or elected in the first place. What a no class arse for saying what he did. Lt. Gov. Quinn should have been making the speechifying.

RTI_SoxFan
04-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Still questioning the choice of blogo being there. That would be like me or hanger 18 doing the announcing at the Ernie Banks status ceremony. Still questioning how he got re-elected, or elected in the first place. What a no class arse for saying what he did. Lt. Gov. Quinn should have been making the speechifying.

I think Daly would have been the better candidate for that. Agreed. Blago had no purpose there and the crowd let him know it.

JayBeast
04-14-2008, 10:26 AM
While looking for my brick, I noticed a brick with the words "CUS SNAFXOS" ... was someone not screening the submitted content, I think it was near the 2nd base area. there was more on the brick , Idid not want to stand in the rain to read it though... If there is 1, I'm sure there are more.

hi im skot
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
While looking for my brick, I noticed a brick with the words "CUS SNAFXOS" ... was someone not screening the submitted content, I think it was near the 2nd base area. there was more on the brick , Idid not want to stand in the rain to read it though... If there is 1, I'm sure there are more.

Eh, who cares? That person spent a good chunk of change on something silly like that.

I won't lose any sleep.