PDA

View Full Version : Podsednik's value

wassagstdu
01-12-2008, 07:35 AM
An interesting stat for those so inclined. In 2005 and 2006 the Sox scored 0.25 and 0.27 more runs in innings in which Pods led off than in innings led off by anyone else. That represents over the two years a 50% increase in runs scored in innings led off by Pods. So an '05-'06 Sox team for which Pods led off every inning would have scored 2.3 more runs per 9 innings.
http://actasports.com/sows.php

CLR01
01-12-2008, 07:40 AM
An interesting stat for those so inclined. In 2005 and 2006 the Sox scored 0.25 and 0.27 more runs in innings in which Pods led off than in innings led off by anyone else. That represents over the two years a 50% increase in runs scored in innings led off by Pods. So an '05-'06 Sox team for which Pods led off every inning would have scored 2.3 more runs per 9 innings.

I love me some fuzzy math.

Madvora
01-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Has there been any news of Podsednik getting picked up by anybody?

DoItForDanPasqua
01-12-2008, 09:00 AM

But also, if Podsednik led off the inning, it meant that Thomas, or Konerko, or Thome, or Dye, or three of the four, batted in that inning also.

balke
01-12-2008, 09:48 AM
But also, if Podsednik led off the inning, it meant that Thomas, or Konerko, or Thome, or Dye, or three of the four, batted in that inning also.

And they didn't for whoever else led off the inning? Pods is a great leadoff man, he's just not healthy and weak armed in the field.

DoItForDanPasqua
01-12-2008, 10:43 AM
And they didn't for whoever else led off the inning? Pods is a great leadoff man, he's just not healthy and weak armed in the field.

No, they didn't. I can't believe this requires an explanation. Podsednik hit first in the lineup, so if he led off an inning, he would be followed by the heart of the order. If, say, the sixth place hitter leads off an inning, now this is where you have to pay attention, he would be followed by the seventh and eight hitters.

Now that I'm done with my rant. I agree that Podsednik was a great leadoff man. I just don't think he ever recovered from that groin injury.

santo=dorf
01-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Has there been any news of Podsednik getting picked up by anybody?
No, and that shows his true value.

He's a 1 trick pony, and his legs aren't the same. It might be time to make Elmer's out of him

wassagstdu
01-12-2008, 11:19 AM
No, and that shows his true value.

He's a 1 trick pony, and his legs aren't the same. It might be time to make Elmer's out of him

That "one trick pony" gave us a WS championship. Get over it.

santo=dorf
01-12-2008, 11:45 AM
That "one trick pony" gave us a WS championship. Get over it.Get over exactly what? You're the one talking about the past and a former Sox player. Scott Podsednik did not win the championship in 2005, the White Sox did. He was a piece of the puzzle, but he was not the main reason let alone the only reason.

rowand33
01-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Get over exactly what? You're the one talking about the past and a former Sox player. Scott Podsednik did not win the championship in 2005, the White Sox did. He was a piece of the puzzle, but he was not the main reason let alone the only reason.

Agreed. Pods is worthless. He was worthless going into 2007 as well.

He's a speedy little leadoff guy that doesn't have his legs under him.

Thanks for the memories, but get away from the Sox.

Why do we still have threads pining for this guy?

No love for Crazy Carl? He got us a world series too!

thomas35forever
01-12-2008, 12:29 PM
http://alienzoo.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/sub-square-barney.gif
"How could I love someone who doesn't believe in me? All right, back to making idiots out of America's children!"

johnr1note
01-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Agreed. Pods is worthless. He was worthless going into 2007 as well.

He's a speedy little leadoff guy that doesn't have his legs under him.

Thanks for the memories, but get away from the Sox.

Why do we still have threads pining for this guy?

I miss Carl, too! :cool:

This attempt at trying to make Pods more valuable points to the value of a good lead off hitter.

For the time he was healthy in 2005, Pods was an amazing table setter. He was a major reason why the Sox got off to such a great start -- getting on base, stealing bases, running the bases well, and when he was on base, unnerving opposing pitchers so as to throw off their concentration.

I agree wholeheartedly that his injury-prone tendencies has made him valueless today. But when he first came over, he made things happen.

This shows the need for a player cut from that kind of cloth to lead off for us. Someone who can get on base and set the table. We currently don't have anyone who really fits this concept now -- and we have not been successful when we've lacked it.

russ99
01-12-2008, 01:39 PM
You guys are full of it.

Scott's not old in baseball years (32 on opening day) and despite his injury prone status with the Sox, I'm certain he'll do well with another team. The question mark FA pitchers (Colon, Jennings, Hernandez, etc.) haven't even been signed yet, so it may be a while before the lower-end hitters sign and/or someone invites him to spring

I also wonder if two factors contributed to his downfall here: first being losing the hunger and fire after winning a title, and secondly he looked as if he gained significant weight, especially the last season. Not to mention the way the media and Ozzie treated him over the last year and a half...

Also, similar things you guys have been saying can be said for other players, like Dye and his obvious decline, but since he's a slugger he gets a free pass.

If he comes to camp with some team healthy, fit, hungry and with something to prove, I have no doubts he'd get back to at least close to a 2005 level.

Palehose Pete
01-12-2008, 02:09 PM
http://alienzoo.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/sub-square-barney.gif
"How could I love someone who doesn't believe in me? All right, back to making idiots out of America's children!"

:rolling:

johnr1note
01-12-2008, 02:28 PM
You guys are full of it.

Scott's not old in baseball years (32 on opening day) and despite his injury prone status with the Sox, I'm certain he'll do well with another team. The question mark FA pitchers (Colon, Jennings, Hernandez, etc.) haven't even been signed yet, so it may be a while before the lower-end hitters sign and/or someone invites him to spring

I also wonder if two factors contributed to his downfall here: first being losing the hunger and fire after winning a title, and secondly he looked as if he gained significant weight, especially the last season. Not to mention the way the media and Ozzie treated him over the last year and a half...

Also, similar things you guys have been saying can be said for other players, like Dye and his obvious decline, but since he's a slugger he gets a free pass.

If he comes to camp with some team healthy, fit, hungry and with something to prove, I have no doubts he'd get back to at least close to a 2005 level.

His downfall has been his inability to stay healthy -- and that he's tried to come back too soon from injury, or just been injury prone, which has made his production significantly less.

I have argued this point in Pods favor all along -- had he remained in good health for his entire tenure on the White Sox, he'd still be our everyday left fielder and lead off man. But he's been completely unreliable because of injury.

Tragg
01-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Pods greatly increased our production at leadoff over what we had had for the prior 5 seasons....they don't just lead off the game - the leadoff the most innings because they usually bat behind the hitter who makes the most outs on the team.

rowand33
01-12-2008, 04:48 PM
You guys are full of it.

Pods will be a fantastic 4th outfielder for some team in 2008.

Craig Grebeck
01-12-2008, 05:04 PM
Pods will be a fantastic 4th outfielder for some team in 2008.
Why?

Don't 4th OF usually play at least passable defense?

Iwritecode
01-14-2008, 09:45 AM
No, they didn't. I can't believe this requires an explanation. Podsednik hit first in the lineup, so if he led off an inning, he would be followed by the heart of the order. If, say, the sixth place hitter leads off an inning, now this is where you have to pay attention, he would be followed by the seventh and eight hitters.

I'm guessing they included games that he didn't even play in with the "others leading off" stat.

That would mean there was a completely different player batting in the first spot ahead of Thomas, Konerko, Thome, or Dye who didn't go quite as good a job as Pods could if he were there.

FedEx227
01-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Why?

Don't 4th OF usually play at least passable defense?

I'm in no way a Pods defensive supporter, but Scott played more than passable LF defense. His speed made up for a lot of bad reads, while his arm sucked... he is again a LF, thus you aren't going to find many amazing defenders holding down that spot.

SBSoxFan
01-14-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm in no way a Pods defensive supporter, but Scott played more than passable LF defense. His speed made up for a lot of bad reads, while his arm sucked... he is again a LF, thus you aren't going to find many amazing defenders holding down that spot.

Awww, come on. Look at all the assists Soriano and Manny Ramirez have every year.

Save McCuddy's
01-14-2008, 11:12 AM

Precisely.