PDA

View Full Version : SF Roadtrip

Hitmenof77
01-11-2008, 02:47 PM
There seems to be a lot of people planning to go to the SF series in May.

If I can book a block of rooms at a hotel in SF, near the ballpark, would people be interested? Hotels in SF aren't cheap, at least $125 a night, plus $30 a day for parking. But maybe we can get some deal if we get enough people.

I'll post a list of possible hotels later tonight.

D. TODD
01-11-2008, 02:51 PM
San Fran is on my to do list for the upcoming year of Sox road trips, so if a sweet deal can be had I would be interested.

TomBradley72
01-11-2008, 03:53 PM
I used to live in SF...actually Sausalito. Another option depending on what you're looking for is to stay on the other side of the bridge (there's a very nice Holiday Inn Express in Mill Valley...decent rates/free parking)..and take the ferry across the bay directly to the ballpark. You see the whole bay and they go right by Alcatraz. They serve beer and snacks on the boat for the trip over/back.

I lived out there when the Giants went to the World Series in 2002...took the ferry to one ALDS game and then to one of the World Series games. It's not the same experience as staying in the city...but you have great access to wine country, Muir Woods (w/redwoods), and the great coastal road (Rt. 1) which takes you along some spectacluar scenery. A quick drive across the bridge and you can be in the city as well.

It's not the way to go if you want younger crowd/late night bars/clubs, etc...

Fenway
01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
If you don't mind roughing it a bit, San Francisco has some wonderful hostels which are open to all ages.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=hostels&near=San+Francisco,+CA&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1

chisoxmike
01-11-2008, 04:00 PM
I'll be at the Friday game.

01-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I used to live in SF...actually Sausalito.

Funny. I used to live in SF and also in Sausalito. Beautiful area. I love the suggestion of using the Mill Valley ferry that goes right up to the ballpark. That is a fun way to do it and enjoy the north county while visiting the area.

01-11-2008, 04:04 PM
If you don't mind roughing it a bit, San Francisco has some wonderful hostels which are open to all ages.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=hostels&near=San+Francisco,+CA&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=1&ct=more-results&cd=1

Stay away from the hostels in the Tenderloin area.

Cellview22
01-11-2008, 08:14 PM
I've heard the Chancellor at Union Square usually has reasonable rates, compared with other hotels in SF. They also give away a free night stay each month.. so might as well enter: http://www.chancellorhotel.com/emailform2.htm

Another idea: Sign up for the Marriott Visa Card, and once you're approved you get a free night stay. It has to be a 4 star category, and the only one in the Bay Area (all the others are 5 and up) is the Oakland Marriott City Center. Seems pretty decent..
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/oakdt-oakland-marriott-city-center/

Brian26
01-11-2008, 08:26 PM

:hawk
"Your WHAT hurts?"

Cellview22
01-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Apparently Wes Tyler, the General Manager of the Chancellor Hotel, is the Brooks Boyer of hotels in SF. Maybe we should email him about group rates! :D:

He posts on tripadvisor a lot, and is always happy to email back. wtyler@chancellorhotel.com

Fenway
01-11-2008, 09:23 PM
Stay away from the hostels in the Tenderloin area.
Ummm good advice. The HI hostels are good as is the Green Tortise. Elements in the Misson is a gem with some great bars nearby. When I have to work in Oakland they stick us at the Marriott in Emeryville.

Hostels can be fun and you can save a lot of cash on a roadtrip.

Brian26
01-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Hostels can be fun

:hawk
"Feisty, you're dad-gum-right they can be fun. They've got a LOT of my money there!"

:DJ
"Hostel, Hawk. Not brothel."

BainesHOF
01-11-2008, 10:30 PM
San Francisco is awesome. Walking those hills is a killer, though. If you go, a ferry trip across the bay to Sausalito is a must. Fisherman's Wharf is a terrible tourist trap. Check it out if you must, but there's so many other cooler parts to check out such as Chinatown and Haight-Ashbury.

DSpivack
01-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Skip Ghirardelli. Take a tour of Scharffen-Berger in Berkeley...great chocolate. There's also a sake factory (brewery? distillery? not sure what you call it) right by there.

Also, go to Amoeba! The world's greatest music store; one on Haight Street in San Francisco, another on the main street in Berkeley (can't remember the name; on the same block is Rasputin, another great music store).

If you like seafood, go to Swan Oyster Bar, not exactly sure where it is in San Francisco, but a great spot and not too much money; although there can be lines.

IlliniSox4Life
01-11-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm going to be making the trip, but I have friends who live in the area that I plan on crashing with. Hopefully the park will be overrun with Sox fans.

Nellie_Fox
01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
San Francisco is awesome. Walking those hills is a killer, though. If you go, a ferry trip across the bay to Sausalito is a must. Fisherman's Wharf is a terrible tourist trap. Check it out if you must, but there's so many other cooler parts to check out such as Chinatown and Haight-Ashbury.When you're at the corner of Haight and Ashbury, you're three blocks from Czalgosz's house (for those who remember him.)

Forget about parking. Unless you're driving to San Francisco, it makes absolutely no sense to have a car while you're there. Take a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and use public transportation, because once you get the car parked, you can't use it, because there's nowhere else to park it.

bigfoot
01-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Funny. I used to live in SF and also in Sausalito. Beautiful area. I love the suggestion of using the Mill Valley ferry that goes right up to the ballpark. That is a fun way to do it and enjoy the north county while visiting the area.

And while in Sausalito, one can enjoy a fine meal at Scoma's location there. Great food and a lot less expensive than the SF location!

And while in SF Please, please , please go to Lefty O'Doul's...the old(late) Giant pitcher's bar and deli. LOTS of great pix and memorabilia in this large joint.

ChiSox Fan 68
01-12-2008, 09:49 PM
We might be interested...we would need two rooms. Let us know if you find a hotel willing to give us a block of rooms. Great idea!

02-26-2008, 10:53 AM
I am booked!

My wife and I will be taking daughter, who will be 10 months then, to her first White Sox game.

For anyone planning on making the trip to SF, don't hesitate to reach out to me as I lived in the bay area for a couple of years. I'm sure any of the other local bay area WSI'ers and Core of the Core Oakland group would also do the same.

We are staying in Marin (Larkspur) on Friday and San Francisco on Saturday.

The MARRIOTT COURTYARD SAN FRANCISCO DOWNTOWN HOTEL (http://www.courtyardsanfrancisco.com/) is where we are staying Saturday and it is very close to the ballpark. Seems like a good spot for anyone planning on staying in the city and close to the park.

Since Sunday's game is the only day game right now unless Saturday is changed, that will be the only game we will get to see since the night games are past my daughters bedtime.

I CANNOT WAIT to have the best Pittsburgh-style sandwich on the west coast from Giordano Bros (http://www.giordanobros.com/) for lunch.

Mr.1Dog
02-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I booked my trip a week ago. I am flying into SFO on Thursday night and staying with a cousin in the North Beach area. Luckily, her parents have been season ticket holders for years and we have great seats along the first base side for Friday and Saturday.:bandance:

02-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Check out this site to request a very nice free visitors guide. Includes coupons and good ideas for checking out the town.

https://www.sfvisitor.org/cgi-bin/webc.exe/st_prod.html?p_prodid=6

jenn2080
02-26-2008, 11:18 AM
The Drake is really nice. It is in the shopping district and the trolley runs right in front of it.

Beer Can Chicken
02-26-2008, 03:39 PM
I am booked!

My wife and I will be taking daughter, who will be 10 months then, to her first White Sox game.

For anyone planning on making the trip to SF, don't hesitate to reach out to me as I lived in the bay area for a couple of years. I'm sure any of the other local bay area WSI'ers and Core of the Core Oakland group would also do the same.

We are staying in Marin (Larkspur) on Friday and San Francisco on Saturday.

The MARRIOTT COURTYARD SAN FRANCISCO DOWNTOWN HOTEL (http://www.courtyardsanfrancisco.com/) is where we are staying Saturday and it is very close to the ballpark. Seems like a good spot for anyone planning on staying in the city and close to the park.

Since Sunday's game is the only day game right now unless Saturday is changed, that will be the only game we will get to see since the night games are past my daughters bedtime.

I CANNOT WAIT to have the best Pittsburgh-style sandwich on the west coast from Giordano Bros (http://www.giordanobros.com/) for lunch.

When I went on vacation to San Fran and vicinity a few years ago, we stayed at that Marriott. Nice place, pretty good location, reasonably priced.

WagMan
03-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Tickets went on sale online today for San Fran and I scored seats for Saturday's game against the Sox. I can't wait to go back to the ballpark. I didn't get to spend a whole lot of time checking it out last time as I was only on a layover from a flight with a little bit of time to kill. I believe we will be sitting in section 129, row 42. I don't know how many rows there are, but 42 seems kinda up there. Either way, I was glad to pick up seats in the lower deck. Hope to see some Sox love out in San Fran that day!