PDA

View Full Version : Colon to the Sox?

Rockabilly
01-11-2008, 02:23 PM
With White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen in attendence, Colon allowed three runs and six hits in five innings in his postseason start in the Dominican Winter League on Thursday. He struck out two and walked none.
Source: ESPN Insider

Related: White Sox, Mets

rdwj
01-11-2008, 02:31 PM
With White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen in attendence, Colon allowed three runs and six hits in five innings in his postseason start in the Dominican Winter League on Thursday. He struck out two and walked none.
Source: ESPN Insider

Related: White Sox, Mets

He had some nice outings last year and some bad ones. Having him in the rotation would make me feel a little better about the rotation, but not a WHOLE lot better. You know he's going to spend time on the DL. You go into the season knowing that's the case.

getonbckthr
01-11-2008, 02:32 PM
He had some nice outings last year and some bad ones. Having him in the rotation would make me feel a little better about the rotation, but not a WHOLE lot better. You know he's going to spend time on the DL. You go into the season knowing that's the case.
Sounds like El Duque.

nevr say dye sox
01-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I would rather have colon in the rotation and have Floyd spot start once in a while to give Colon rest. Then put Floyd in the bullpen and use him in long relief.

sox1970
01-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Pass.

rdwj
01-11-2008, 02:39 PM
...plus, it would give fat guys another jersey option outside of Jenks.

steely712
01-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Too injury prone, I wouldn't give very much for him.

Domeshot17
01-11-2008, 02:48 PM
The guy was a cy young candidate as recent as our world series win. I would give him a 1 year 2.5 mil deal with incentives to get it close to 7 mil depending on weight-wins-starts-era etc. I would also take the time to consider whether Colon would make a good arm in the pen, if he has hit that stage in his career.

cws05champ
01-11-2008, 02:49 PM

:rolling: One of the funniest things I've seen at the ballpark was an enormous guy wearing a Podsednik jersey.

SBSoxFan
01-11-2008, 03:03 PM
The guy was a cy young candidate as recent as our world series win. I would give him a 1 year 2.5 mil deal with incentives to get it close to 7 mil depending on weight-wins-starts-era etc. I would also take the time to consider whether Colon would make a good arm in the pen, if he has hit that stage in his career.

I agree. They have almost no insurance should Floyd, Danks, or Contreras struggle.

rdwj
01-11-2008, 03:13 PM
:rolling: One of the funniest things I've seen at the ballpark was an enormous guy wearing a Podsednik jersey.

I have a buddy that's a "big" Pods fan. Needless to say, he takes some heat when he wears his jersey.

D. TODD
01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Short term incentive laden; sounds like a good match to me!

Mr. Man
01-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Ozzie Guillen is reportedly in the Dominican Republic, scouting Bartolo Colon (http://www.whbf.com/Global/story.asp?S=7611009).

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has traveled to the Dominican Republic to see Colon pitch in the Dominican winter league. Guillen says he wanted to see if Colon was healthy because -- if so -- he could be ``an important part of the team for the White Sox.''

thegooch
01-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Short term incentive laden; sounds like a good match to me!

I agree. Anything he gives us would be cake.

IJay22
01-11-2008, 03:28 PM
if he's healthy I wouldn't mind seeing him in the rotation. I see him being the fourth starter, third at best.

skottyj242
01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
As long as I don't have to see that picture of his fat ass with that awesome scarf again it's fine by me.

munchman33
01-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Starting pitching depth is never a bad thing. Especially when you have three serious question marks in your rotation. Sure, he's a question himself. But instead of counting on three questions for three spots, why not count on four questions for three spots.

Rocky Soprano
01-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I think it would be a good risk.

RoobarbPie
01-11-2008, 03:41 PM
The guy was a cy young candidate as recent as our world series win.

He won the AL Cy Young in 2005. I'd give him a shot at competing for that 5th spot as long as it doesn't involve too much guaranteed money...

Rockabilly
01-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Colon is probably looking for a 2 yr deal

RCWHITESOX
01-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Colon is probably looking for a 2 yr deal

I say 1 year tops with a team option. He is coming off another injury season and needs to prove his value. The Sox shouldn't be looking to supplement his retirment.

SOXBOY
01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I would love to see Colon come back and be the 4th with Danks/Floyd 5th.

white sox bill
01-11-2008, 04:09 PM
So here's a hypo thread about Colon, another one on Garcia..Who would you rather have?

HITMEN OF 77
01-11-2008, 04:15 PM

:lol:

soxfan123
01-11-2008, 04:26 PM
I think Colon would bea great asset to this team. I am more than willing to take a risk on a guy with his talent.

DeuceUnit
01-11-2008, 04:32 PM
There is a VERY good chance Colon will be on the south side next year. A one year deal, lots of incentives.

peeonwrigley
01-11-2008, 04:36 PM

One of the better posts of this offseason.:D:

fquaye149
01-11-2008, 04:39 PM

still: for Floyd to go from a full-time starter to a part-time spot starter is a great improvement to our team.

Or, if Colon would stay healthy, we could move a struggling Contreras to long/middle-relief, giving us another good arm out of the pen--thereby upgrading TWO areas of need for this team

thedudeabides
01-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I would be happy to see him sign a reasonable contract. Having some depth at starting pitching can't be a bad thing. I feel like the rotation has potential to be good it just may be short on innings. This would help ease some of that concern.

rowand33
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
I've been calling for him all offseason. Make it happen Kenny.

Foulke You
01-11-2008, 04:53 PM
The only thing that concerns me is that reports out of the Dominican League originally said that Colon wasn't even cracking 90mph on the radar gun. Now, it could be that he just doesn't have his arm strength back yet from his surgery or it could be he just doesn't have that gas like he used to and would have to alter his pitching strategy and become more of a junkball thrower. As previous posters have said, you can't have enough pitching. I'd give Bart an incentive loaded contract with an option for year 2 and see what happens.

LITTLE NELL
01-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I say lets take a chance on him. 1 year with incentives. He sure was a horse for us in 03.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Unless Colon can show the Sox he can at least get it up there in the low 90s, I would not want him. He's a power pitcher who never learned finesse and he would be lit up if he's in the high 80s. At least Freddy was able to finesse his way to wins when he lost his velocity. I wouldn't have the same confidence Colon could do that because he never had as many pitches as Freddy.

Sockinchisox
01-11-2008, 06:38 PM
http://www.wthitv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7610969&nav=menu593_4

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen has traveled to the Dominican Republic to see Colon pitch in the Dominican winter league.

Guillen says he wanted to see if Colon was healthy because -- if so -- he could be "an important part of the team for the White Sox."

cards press box
01-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Signing Colon would have a lot of potential upside. I like it.

thomas35forever
01-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I loved him in '03. I'd love to have him back as long as he can stay healthy.

BridgePortNative
01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
eh......colon just seems like a burnt out power pitcher, in my opinion. He was great in '03, but that's the thing, it was '03. Sure, you can never get enough pitching, but what can we really expect from him?

If it does happen, I sure would love to see him pitch healthy again.

Lukin13
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
I'd love to sign him or any of the veteran starters with question marks.....

BUT

I hope that IF we sign a pitcher like Colon, NOTHING is given to him. If he struggles during spring training and Danks and Floyd look decent I really don't want to see his big butt out there automatically for the first half of the season just because he is making 5X the money the kids are... and you know that this wouldn't be the case.

Brian26
01-11-2008, 09:17 PM
I like the move if they pull it off.

MCHSoxFan
01-11-2008, 09:26 PM
http://www.whbf.com/Global/story.asp?S=7611009

MCHSoxFan
01-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Sorry! Did not see this:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96550

MCHSoxFan
01-11-2008, 09:31 PM
I've been calling for him all offseason. Make it happen Kenny.

YES SIR!!!

ShoelessJoeS
01-11-2008, 09:35 PM
...plus, it would give fat guys another jersey option outside of Jenks.:rolling:

Medford Bobby
01-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Close up the Churro stands NOW!!!
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:fq30PxT5C-yUhM:http://images.art.com/images/products/small/10107000/10107480.jpg (http://images.art.com/images/products/small/10107000/10107480.jpg)

nccwsfan
01-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Any move that can improve our pitching depth is a good thing. This would qualify.

DrCrawdad
01-11-2008, 11:42 PM
I think Colon would be a great asset to this team. I am more than willing to take a risk on a guy with his talent.

Colon does have a large asset.

cwsfannick
01-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Is Floyd out of options?

btrain929
01-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Is Floyd out of options?

Yep. I think I heard Floyd, Sisco, and Masset are. Not sure about Aardsma.

soxfanreggie
01-12-2008, 12:20 AM
One year, incentive-laden. Potentially $1.5-2.2 million with upward potential of $6 of 7 the first year. Club option in the 2nd year with some sort of vesting if he hits a target or multiple targets (IP, weight?). This amount could be another $6-8 million for the 2nd year.

oeo
01-12-2008, 12:20 AM

Aardsma is, as well. And if I had to guess, both Floyd and Masset will make the team. I don't see where Colon fits in, and I really don't understand the point. Why not give the ball to Floyd or Masset and see what they can give us? Next year could be the year that we really go after it hard...this year should be more of an evaluation year. If everything goes as planned, you go after a SP in free agency (and Santana isn't even the only lefty ace in the Central that will be a free agent after this year) and the title in 2009.

cwsfannick
01-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Aardsma is, as well. And if I had to guess, both Floyd and Masset will make the team. I don't see where Colon fits in, and I really don't understand the point. Why not give the ball to Floyd or Masset and see what they can give us? Next year could be the year that we really go after it hard...this year should be more of an evaluation year.

I have to agree, unless Floyd and Masset are used as long relievers.

Tragg
01-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Certainly if Floyd doesn't start he should be put in the pen. He's a better pitcher than most of those guys. Same with Danks - if he struggles in the spring, put him in the pen. I don't know who could beat out either of those 2, however. Broadway, I suppose, if he throws strikes.
Masset - I don't know.

palehozenychicty
01-12-2008, 03:11 AM
Aardsma is, as well. And if I had to guess, both Floyd and Masset will make the team. I don't see where Colon fits in, and I really don't understand the point. Why not give the ball to Floyd or Masset and see what they can give us? Next year could be the year that we really go after it hard...this year should be more of an evaluation year. If everything goes as planned, you go after a SP in free agency (and Santana isn't even the only lefty ace in the Central that will be a free agent after this year) and the title in 2009.

There's nothing Bartolo can do that one of our younger pitchers can't do. He's injury-prone and large. Bad idea jeans.

WhiteSox5187
01-12-2008, 04:17 AM
If he's 100% healthy he can still be very effective, so for the right price, I'd snap him up in a heartbeat.

drewcifer
01-12-2008, 04:36 AM
If he's 100% healthy he can still be very effective, so for the right price, I'd snap him up in a heartbeat.

No. That is a stupid waste of $. He's not healthy. He's never going to be 162 game season healthy again.

He's a worse gamble than McDougal with his season on, season off, season on, season - "I was hurt; but traded - let's suck all over again"....

Please pass on this, KW. We have enough pitching problems.

Frater Perdurabo
01-12-2008, 07:16 AM
It's definitely worth a shot, but I'd prefer Livan Hernandez. Actually, I'd prefer both. Then have an open competition in Spring Training. If the veterans beat out the kids, so what? If the kids beat out the vets, great! The idea is to have your best five starters in your rotation and your best five or six relievers in your bullpen. Plus, there is always the risk of injury. I just do not see any downside to incentive-laden contracts for Colon and Hernandez.

cws05champ
01-12-2008, 08:11 AM
No. That is a stupid waste of $. He's not healthy. He's never going to be 162 game season healthy again.

He's a worse gamble than McDougal with his season on, season off, season on, season - "I was hurt; but traded - let's suck all over again"....

Please pass on this, KW. We have enough pitching problems.

I think people are underestimating how a veteran pitcher can pitch well even with diminished stuff from previous years. If he can pitch well at a reasonable cost then why not take a chance on a low $$ incentive laden contract. If he doesn't pitch well then the Sox have not made a big gamble.

The Thomenator
01-12-2008, 09:10 AM
If the Sox sign him or any vet, who knows who the final 3 spots in the rotation end up being. After its all said and done, they will be better with the competition there. I too, see not much of a gamble here. If people where willing to give Prior an incentive laiden contract, how is this any different? He won the CY award in 2005.

soxfanreggie
01-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Frater, I think I made mention of Livan late in the season or right after the season ended. Glad someone else shares my thoughts. I think either of those guys could really flourish under an incentive-laden deal. With my low confidence right now in some of our younger guys, the more pitchers in the competition for those spots, the better.

PorkChopExpress
01-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Is there some website where one can find this information? I find it hard to believe Masset is already out of options. He was just drafted in 2000, got called up once in '06 and was with us for a stint in '07. Is that really all it takes? It seems like he could only have been optioned twice, and he is supposed to get three option years. What's the deal?

santo=dorf
01-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Why the **** is Livan Hernandez being lumped in with Freddy and Bartolo? He is not coming back from surgery. What makes anyone think he'll sign for cheap? He's already came out and said he'd "love to pitch for the Marlins, but they have no money."

The last time he posted an above average ERA was in 2005 (3.98 vs. 4.06) with the nats (4.11 away ERA vs. 3.86 home, so he was below the average on the Road.) Hasn't had a respectable WHIP since 2004, and last season he nearly walked as many guys as he struck out. I can't even imagine how that will translate to the AL. All he can do is eat innings, and that has been for about $8 million a year.

Lip Man 1
01-12-2008, 12:58 PM
This off season the newspapers have stated that Floyd, Aardsma and Masset are out of options.

Reading that and given their history I was surprised that Kenny would deal for all of them in the first place knowing he didn't have as much flexibility.

I could see him taking a chance on one of them or even two but that really does tie his hands, i.e. either they make the roster or they get released.

Lip

btrain929
01-12-2008, 01:07 PM
This off season the newspapers have stated that Floyd, Aardsma and Masset are out of options.

Reading that and given their history I was surprised that Kenny would deal for all of them in the first place knowing he didn't have as much flexibility.

I could see him taking a chance on one of them or even two but that really does tie his hands, i.e. either they make the roster or they get released.

Lip

I say trade them for potential bench players or some decent A/AA players.

EndemicSox
01-12-2008, 02:06 PM
He won the Cy Yound Award two years ago, and while his recent history indicates he may be done, he is the type you roll the dice on...

Sign him up!

sageofthesox
01-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I was still waking up this morning when I turned on the news to hear that Bartolo Colon is coming back to the White Sox? Is this true, or is it the lingering effect of something I drank last night?

btrain929
01-12-2008, 03:06 PM
I was still waking up this morning when I turned on the news to hear that Bartolo Colon is coming back to the White Sox? Is this true, or is it the lingering effect of something I drank last night?

If there's an "is" or "if" in your post, it should more than likely be in "What's the Score?"

There's rumors that Ozzie went and watched him pitch. Nothing official yet. There's already a thread on this, by the way.

kaufsox
01-14-2008, 12:28 AM
channel 5 just reported that Ozzie went to the Dominican to watch him pitch and I'm pretty sure they said talk to him about returning to the South Side. For the right deal, why not?

hi im skot
01-14-2008, 12:46 AM
The fact that anyone is talking about this deal tells me it's probably not going to happen.

PalehosePlanet
01-14-2008, 01:18 AM
channel 5 just reported that Ozzie went to the Dominican to watch him pitch and I'm pretty sure they said talk to him about returning to the South Side. For the right deal, why not?

Unless we feel that he can get his velocity back into at least the 91-92 range consistently (currently 88 or so) then it isn't worth the risk. He doesn't have enough quality secondary pitches to get by if he's throwing 90 or lower.

ksimpson14
01-14-2008, 01:34 AM
Did Ozzie specifically say he went to see him pitch? What's the point anyways, I figure you know what you have there anyways...and even then, why not send a scout. Unless he's lobbying him, maybe he's there for another reason

A.T. Money
01-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Colon left us once...he'll leave us again.

He'll be good if he's healthy, but if not, it won't be good.

itsnotrequired
01-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Is there some website where one can find this information? I find it hard to believe Masset is already out of options. He was just drafted in 2000, got called up once in '06 and was with us for a stint in '07. Is that really all it takes? It seems like he could only have been optioned twice, and he is supposed to get three option years. What's the deal?

Options are burned up when players are on the 40-man as well.

btrain929
01-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Options are burned up when players are on the 40-man as well.

How many options are players granted in their career?

itsnotrequired
01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
How many options are players granted in their career?

Three, sometimes four.

Jerome
01-14-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm all for taking a chance on Colon at the right price. I'm not quite convinced that Danks AND Floyd AND Contreras will be as good as they need to be for the Sox to contend. Another veteran SP couldn't hurt.