PDA

View Full Version : What about Freddy Garcia?

paciorek1983
01-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I was wondering why Freddy hasn't been mentioned as a potential pick-up via free agency? I know he didn't so that well last yr for Philly, but he got injured.

Would anyone like to see him back? I would, if he could still pitch like he did the last few months of '06.

CLR01
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
"Big Game" Freddy can smoke his dope with some other team.

oeo
01-10-2008, 10:38 PM
I was wondering why Freddy hasn't been mentioned as a potential pick-up via free agency? I know he didn't so that well last yr for Philly, but he got injured.

Would anyone like to see him back? I would, if he could still pitch like he did the last few months of '06.

The man threw a lot of innings as a power pitcher...I think he's toast. :dunno:

paciorek1983
01-10-2008, 10:50 PM

Well maybe so. I wasn't aware that was he threw that many innings. But seeing as I haven't heard his name mentioned at all by anyone, that would make sense.

sox1970
01-10-2008, 10:52 PM

It's too bad. If he had DLS's arm, he'd be on the way to the Hall.

voodoochile
01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I'd take a flier on Freddie but as a reliever with the understanding he might get a chance to start if needed and if his arm proves able to handle the strain.

Shorter stints might allow Freddie to pitch to his strengths...

DumpJerry
01-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Freddy lost it in 2006 and never got it back.

FedEx227
01-10-2008, 10:58 PM
He's done. I don't think he'll ever be healthy or effective again.

areilly
01-11-2008, 01:47 AM
I find it ironic that a position player who was once on the way to greatness but was sidetracked by injury will allegedly return his weight in gold and future All-Stars via trade, but a pitcher who took the same path isn't worth a damn to that exact same fan base and management team, both so readily defined by the term "gambler."

WhiteSox5187
01-11-2008, 03:30 AM
In '06 watching Freddy was maddening, he'd look like Cy Young against the Tigers and then give up eight runs in 5 1/3rd against the Royals...perhaps he'd be good as a reliever, but his days as a starter are long over. Even in '05 he was losing velocity.

ksimpson14
01-11-2008, 04:02 AM
Isn't he already guaranteed to be out a portion of the year? Plus, let's not forget the form of Freddy before we sent him off, extra slow (both pitches and him on the mound), extra weight, and extra hand signals (with all the body language and not being able to overcome a mistake in the field). I don't think people were as mad about a Garcia trade, as much as expecting more in return (at least for me, never been a big Floyd fan)

WhiteSox5187
01-11-2008, 05:51 AM
Isn't he already guaranteed to be out a portion of the year? Plus, let's not forget the form of Freddy before we sent him off, extra slow (both pitches and him on the mound), extra weight, and extra hand signals (with all the body language and not being able to overcome a mistake in the field). I don't think people were as mad about a Garcia trade, as much as expecting more in return (at least for me, never been a big Floyd fan)
I still think trading him was the right idea, but yea, I would have liked to ahve gotten more to help us win in 2007. Gavin Floyd wasn't going to do that, but hopefully he'll help us win in '08.

btrain929
01-11-2008, 05:52 AM

Exactly. Everything I've read said he might be out til the All Star break.

Pass, next thread.

Frater Perdurabo
01-11-2008, 06:09 AM
If we're looking to the scrap heap, I'd prefer Livan Hernandez or Bartolo Colon.

WSox597
01-11-2008, 06:16 AM
"Big Game" Freddy can smoke his dope with some other team.

Hear, hear!

No great loss there.

DumpJerry
01-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Keep in mind Konerko, Thome and my late grandma could steal off of Freddy even if they told him ahead of time when they would do it.

Chicken Dinner
01-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Sweaty Freddie is too busy eating Ozzies food. :smile:

russ99
01-11-2008, 09:16 AM
I like Freddy Garcia, always have.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a crafty veteran like Garcia in that 5 spot instead of never-was Floyd. Broadway should get a shot ahead of him too...

Still, I doubt the Sox would take a chance on him unless he were healthy and could be signed cheaply.

btrain929
01-11-2008, 09:20 AM
If we're looking to the scrap heap, I'd prefer Livan Hernandez or Bartolo Colon.

Livan would be a good #4 for us. It might be a lot to ask him to be a #3. He's pretty much a cheaper version of Jon Garland with all of his starts and mid 4 ERA. Maybe Ozzie could get him into a little better shape too with their little FL connection. But if we get him, it wouldn't be until the break of this year (trade) or next year if he signs a 1 year deal (if Floyd falters and especially since Contreras will be in his contract year).

chisox77
01-11-2008, 09:49 AM
"Big Game Freddy" is an ace in my world. I always liked him as well. But I'm not sure if it would be good to get him back, because he may have lost too much of his pitching powers. However, in 06, as hard as it was to watch at times (the deliberate pace, base runners stealing off him left and right), Freddy was still effective enough to eat up innings and leave the game with the White Sox still in position to win.

In other words, he figured out how to pitch with nothing, or very little, because it was obvious that his velocity was down. Freddy is a competitor and knows how to win. It just depends on what shape he is in, and if there is anything left in that arm.

:cool:

Hendu
01-11-2008, 10:16 AM
I'd take a flier on Freddie but as a reliever with the understanding he might get a chance to start if needed and if his arm proves able to handle the strain.

Shorter stints might allow Freddie to pitch to his strengths...

I couldn't imagine Freddy as a reliever, since he always got off to slow starts. Seemed like he always gave up a couple runs in his first inning of work.

chisoxmike
01-11-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm was a big Garcia fan, but I think his time is up. If he somehow bounces back on another team, good for him. But he doesn't have a place on the Sox.

julio-cruz
01-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if he did sign some sort of incentive-based contract with the White Sox; one year with an option. I am sure Ozzie knows what his health status is.
Does anyone know when he will be ready to pitch? Maybe by July? He was having moderate success in 2006 when he learned to utilize the split finger pitch that Contreras taught him. What's to say that he couldn't become an effective off-speed pitcher like El Duque or Greg Maddox?

KenBerryGrab
01-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Anyone think it would make sense to give a low-base, high-incentive deal to Garcia as a roll of the dice? With the back end of the rotation where it is now, there are worse things to try. (Like, say, Bartolo Colon.)

santo=dorf
01-11-2008, 06:33 PM
His name is spelled "Freddy," not "Freddie."

Sign him to a two year deal with an option for the third. Something like $500,000 to rehab and make a late comeback for this year, $4.5 million for 2009, $3 million buyout or $11.5 million team option for 2010.

Sign Colon too.

BridgePortNative
01-11-2008, 06:37 PM
i really think he can bounce back as a finese pitcher, he's shown he can do it before. I would take a shot at signing him and hoping he can bounce back for a full season in '09

oeo
01-11-2008, 06:38 PM
i really think he can bounce back as a finese pitcher, he's shown he can do it before. I would take a shot at signing him and hoping he can bounce back for a full season in '09

At least before, he had an upper-80s fastball that could touch in the lower-90s if he put a little more on it. I remember an mlb.com article last year that said he wasn't even hitting 85. Paaasss.

ShoelessJoeS
01-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Freddy lost it in 2006 and never got it back.I think you're right... And don't you remember how frustrating it was watching everybody run at will on him every time he stepped out on the mound?

Personally, I think Colon is the better take-your-chancer.

Brian26
01-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I'll go to war with Freddy Garcia any day of the week.

Sign him and Colon. Let's get the band back together.

Frater Perdurabo
01-12-2008, 06:17 AM

Sign him and Colon. Let's get the band back together.

And Livan Hernandez, too.

veeter
01-12-2008, 08:53 AM

Sign him and Colon. Let's get the band back together.I agree. I can't believe the negativity here about Freddy. He was a stallion for us and always gave 110%. He had shoulder surgery, which is always riskier than the elbow. But if he can throw let's get him back.

raven1
01-12-2008, 09:04 AM
I would also like to see the Sox sign Garcia & Colon to low-price, incentive laden deals for 2008 with club options for 2009. They're worth taking a chance on in case one or more of the starters is ineffective or hurt, and if they don't work out little is lost.

oeo
01-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I would also like to see the Sox sign Garcia & Colon to low-price, incentive laden deals for 2008 with club options for 2009. They're worth taking a chance on in case one or more of the starters is ineffective or hurt, and if they don't work out little is lost.

How about Danks and Floyd (add Masset in there, too) not getting an opportunity? :dunno:

That's kind of major considering we no longer have immediate help from the minors. We need to see what we can get from these guys this year. This is especially important in Floyd/Masset's case, because we can't send them back down. Signing both Colon and Freddy puts the Sox in a real tough spot, in which they're going to have to say good-bye to at least one and maybe both. Maybe that doesn't mean anything to you, but IMO, Floyd and Masset have a much better shot at helping this team in the long term than the two washed up guys.

raven1
01-12-2008, 10:48 AM
How about Danks and Floyd (add Masset in there, too) not getting an opportunity? :dunno:

That's kind of major considering we no longer have immediate help from the minors. We need to see what we can get from these guys this year. This is especially important in Floyd/Masset's case, because we can't send them back down. Signing both Colon and Freddy puts the Sox in a real tough spot, in which they're going to have to say good-bye to at least one and maybe both. Maybe that doesn't mean anything to you, but IMO, Floyd and Masset have a much better shot at helping this team in the long term than the two washed up guys.
Both Danks and Floyd will still get their shot even if we sign both of them, since Garcia would start the season on the DL.

oeo
01-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Both Danks and Floyd will still get their shot even if we sign both of them, since Garcia would start the season on the DL.

One of them would still be in a bullpen role. Or are we going to swap them around from the bullpen to the rotation...how is that a fair chance?

white sox bill
01-12-2008, 10:57 AM
The real issue here is: Can he pass his urine test?

raven1
01-12-2008, 06:41 PM
One of them would still be in a bullpen role. Or are we going to swap them around from the bullpen to the rotation...how is that a fair chance?
I think we just can't have enough starting, especially when several of your guys are big question marks. The best scenario would be for Danks & Floyd to start the year in the rotation, but if either or both of them (or for that matter Conteras) proves ineffective then hopefully you'll have more options to try at mid-season when Garcia might be healthy. It is also insurance against someone else getting hurt (even Buehrle is mortal).

The mid-season decision of who is in the bullpen or released would probably make itself, but having more than 5 healthy & effective starters would be a classy problem to have (albeit unlikely) and could provide trade bait to fill any other holes (expected or unexpected) we find ourselves with at mid-season.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-13-2008, 09:54 AM
If the Sox can get a dependable, veteran starter, I would have no problem seeing Floyd in the pen. I thought he was effective there. He would be the one to bring into the rotation if another starter were injured.

Martinigirl
01-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I love Freddy and if he could help us, I would be thrilled to have him back.

PalehosePlanet
01-13-2008, 12:19 PM
If the Sox can get a dependable, veteran starter, I would have no problem seeing Floyd in the pen. I thought he was effective there. He would be the one to bring into the rotation if another starter were injured.

Or ineffective --- which is what Colon throwing 88-90 would be. At least Freddy has some dynamic breaking stuff and can keep hitters guessing. Colon without his fastball, and no breaking stuff to lean on, will be absoultely terrible.

gregory18n
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
I still hope we can get Bedard; but I'de love to have Garcia and Colon under short term, incentive laden contracts with options. I'm not comfortable with the staff as it is.

soxinem1
01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I think it's time to see if Danks and Floyd can make it through a full MLB season. I am no Floyd fan, but a full shot in the rotation will have to be given to him sooner or later. Might as well find out if he has what it takes.

If Floyd and Danks have 6-8 wins apiece by the ASB, Freddy will not even be mentioned.

I am for letting the kids play, not taking a flyer on some past glory that might not even pitch this year. Why waste the time or $$$$$, let the kids pitch.