PDA

View Full Version : Orioles Sign Handful of Awful Ex-White Sox

rowand33
01-10-2008, 10:13 PM
from rotoworld:

http://rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gifhttp://rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
Orioles signed OF Luis Terrero, RHP Ryan Bukvich, C Ben Davis and C Omir Santos and Luis Terrero to minor league contracts and invited them to spring traiing.
They also invited LHP Craig Anderson, RHP Ryan Keefer, C Matt Wieters, 3B Mike Costanzo, 3B Oscar Salazar and 2B Eider Torres to spring training. Terrero, who hit .231/.348/.376 in 117 at-bats for the White Sox last season, is back with the club he played sparingly for in 2006. He remains a viable option as an outfield reserve. Bukvich was also with the Pale Hose last year and posted a 5.05 ERA in 35 2/3 innings out of the pen. Davis would get a chance to battle Guillermo Quiroz for a reserve job if the Orioles fail to land anyone better, but odds are that they will.

What, Andy Gonzalez was unavailable?

Why anyone would want Terrero, Bukvich, or Davis is beyond me. Only posted this because I found it funny that 3 of the crappier Sox players of the last few years ended up in the same place on the same day.

JermaineDye05
01-10-2008, 10:18 PM
from rotoworld:

What, Andy Gonzalez was unavailable?

Why anyone would want Terrero, Bukvich, or Davis is beyond me. Only posted this because I found it funny that 3 of the crappier Sox players of the last few years ended up in the same place on the same day.

Actually Andy was unavailable. I believe he signed with Cleveland.

FedEx227
01-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Ew, that's really all you can say. People just will not give up on Terrero. He's the Alex Escobar of 2008.

oeo
01-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Ew, that's really all you can say. People just will not give up on Terrero. He's the Alex Escobar of 2008.

Baltimore must really like him, as I believe he spent 2006 with them.

Tragg
01-10-2008, 10:24 PM
from rotoworld:

Why anyone would want Terrero, Bukvich, or Davis is beyond me.

We did.

I was wondering what had happened to Davis.

Scottiehaswheels
01-10-2008, 10:25 PM
We did.

Quite honestly I thought he might be my Indians season ticket rep... Never asked him though..

FedEx227
01-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Baltimore must really like him, as I believe he spent 2006 with them.

Yes.

2003-2005 D'Backs
2006 Orioles
2007 White Sox
2008 Orioles

I had always assumed he was more traveled. Guess not.

FarWestChicago
01-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Yes.

2003-2005 D'Backs
2006 Orioles
2007 White Sox
2008 Orioles

I had always assumed he was more traveled. Guess not.That ain't exactly puttin' down roots in that number of years. :redneck

oeo
01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
We did.

Every team takes chances on guys like this. No risk, with a small possibility of a high reward...who knows when you could catch lightning in a bottle for a year? Hell, Bukvich had a good streak going there (albeit lucky), and was the turning point in the bullpen solidifying a little bit in the second half.

goofymsfan
01-10-2008, 10:43 PM
We did.

He was with the Las Vegas 51's last year (the AAA team for the LA Dodgers)

Tragg
01-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Every team takes chances on guys like this. No risk, with a small possibility of a high reward...who knows when you could catch lightning in a bottle for a year? Hell, Bukvich had a good streak going there (albeit lucky), and was the turning point in the bullpen solidifying a little bit in the second half.
I agree. Their performance last year didn't diminish their credentials that they had when we took them on, coming off of a 90 win season. We did some serious bottom feeding last winter - circumstances and whatever else forced us to play them a lot more than one would have liked.

I wouldn't say Bukvich solidified the bullpen. When the bullpen as a whole finally started pitching better, his ERA was coming down - as you said "lucky". ( He was still either getting into jams that his successor would pitch out of (perserving his ERA) or he would allow his predecessor's run to score and then get an out before his baserunners would score).

DSpivack
01-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Can't wait to see the quality team the Orioles put out there this year! :party:

oeo
01-11-2008, 12:14 AM
I wouldn't say Bukvich solidified the bullpen. When the bullpen as a whole finally started pitching better, his ERA was coming down - as you said "lucky". ( He was still either getting into jams that his successor would pitch out of (perserving his ERA) or he would allow his predecessor's run to score and then get an out before his baserunners would score).

I didn't say he solidified it, I said he helped. Finally we had someone to come in and bridge the gap to Bobby. It wasn't anything pretty (long fly ball outs are not something to brag about), but he was putting up some great numbers for a little bit there. That took some pressure off the rest of the pen, and they started pitching better as a unit. I think if Bukvich did anything to help the bullpen, it was throw some strikes and use the defense (and boy did he need his outfielders); he just got outs...even some big double play balls (even though they were sharply hit :lol:).

If MacDougal and Thornton don't suck last year, the bullpen might have been decent. Since those were our vets, and they tanked, the young guys couldn't take on the entire load. I think Linebrink will help with that; I'm also one of those that feel MacDougal can have a bounce-back year...which will help the younger guys like Logan and Wassermann, as they will be in smaller roles. Add in a guy like Masset, he might be able to succeed as well.

areilly
01-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Can't wait to see the quality team the Orioles put out there this year! :party:

I can see the poll now:

"Will the 2008 Orioles be worse than the 2007 White Sox?"

soxinem1
01-11-2008, 07:04 AM
I sort of hoped Buckvich and Terrero would sign with the cubs to 'help solve' their bullpen and LF issues.

soxinem1
01-11-2008, 07:07 AM
That ain't exactly puttin' down roots in that number of years. :redneck

True, but he has to make the team first, and that won't be easy, even on the pitiful O's.

eriqjaffe
01-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Orioles signed OF Luis Terrero, RHP Ryan Bukvich, C Ben Davis and C Omir Santos and Luis Terrero to minor league contractsTerrero's so nice, the O's signed him twice!

johnr1note
01-11-2008, 08:46 AM
This leads me to muse about the concept of had we hung on to these players if we could have packaged them as part of a deal with the O's for Roberts and/or Bedard. :D:

And what will this mean for the pending deal the Cubs have for Roberts?

01-11-2008, 09:12 AM
AWESOME! We play BAL 6 times in April I think.

Carolina Kenny
01-11-2008, 10:05 AM

Or the Buddy Bradford of 1965

duke of dorwood
01-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Or the Buddy Bradford of 1965

Or Dave Nicholson of the late 60's-didnt Terrero have the longest HR last year? I was there-looked like it was going into Fundamentals from RF

skottyj242
01-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Ben Davis is laughing his way to the bank. Didn't he sign for a million bucks like three weeks before we signed AJ just to spent the year in the minors?

Flight #24
01-11-2008, 12:03 PM
from rotoworld:Orioles signed OF Luis Terrero, RHP Ryan Bukvich, C Ben Davis and C Omir Santos and Luis Terrero to minor league contracts and invited them to spring traiing.
They also invited LHP Craig Anderson, RHP Ryan Keefer, C Matt Wieters, 3B Mike Costanzo, 3B Oscar Salazar and 2B Eider Torres to spring training. Terrero, who hit .231/.348/.376 in 117 at-bats for the White Sox last season, is back with the club he played sparingly for in 2006. He remains a viable option as an outfield reserve. Bukvich was also with the Pale Hose last year and posted a 5.05 ERA in 35 2/3 innings out of the pen. Davis would get a chance to battle Guillermo Quiroz for a reserve job if the Orioles fail to land anyone better, but odds are that they will.

The liked him so much they signed him twice? Were they listening to Duran Duran when they made this move?

PatK
01-11-2008, 03:02 PM
The liked him so much they signed him twice? Were they listening to Duran Duran when they made this move?

Ah you beat me to it

soxinem1
01-11-2008, 04:56 PM
Ben Davis is laughing his way to the bank. Didn't he sign for a million bucks like three weeks before we signed AJ just to spent the year in the minors?

More like a month; he got hurt early and missed the rest of the season.

BridgePortNative
01-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Why anyone would want Terrero, Bukvich, or Davis is beyond me.

back when Davis was on the Sox, I had some hopes for the guy, he had a cannon for an arm. too bad it never worked out offensively.

fquaye149
01-11-2008, 06:30 PM
Orioles signed OF Luis Terrero, RHP Ryan Bukvich, C Ben Davis and C Omir Santos and Luis Terrero to minor league contracts

They liked Terrero so much they signed him twice!

kevin57
01-11-2008, 08:34 PM
I don't get the O's. It's like they just sign people...almost hoping against hope that somehow by throwing enough **** at the ballpark wall they'll come up a winner.

It would really be nice to see someone else loosening the Bsox-Yankee grip on that division, but alas...

veeter
01-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Nothing bores me more than, the signings of players who were never good, will never get better, and are just taking up space. I'd rather see more kids from the lower levels, gettting shots in spring training. Kind of like the Sox do.

rowand33
01-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Nothing bores me more than, the signings of players who were never good, will never get better, and are just taking up space. I'd rather see more kids from the lower levels, gettting shots in spring training. Kind of like the Sox do.

I remember Hawk having quite the hard on for his boy Big Ben Davis.

I'm pretty sure there was about one month of the season where I actually agreed with him too.

I also remember that he was AWESOME in MVP 2005. Ton of power.

Vernam
01-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Can't wait to see the quality team the Orioles put out there this year! :party: Can't wait to see Phil Rogers's column tomorrow asserting this is further evidence that Kenny has gutted our farm system. :cool:

Vernam