PDA

View Full Version : Mets could be new frontrunner to land Johan Santana

Foulke You
01-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere. I hope this is true. Get Johan OUT of the AL. I'd be one happy camper if this trade goes down. This is per mlb.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080110&content_id=2343179&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

champagne030
01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere. I hope this is true. Get Johan OUT of the AL. I'd be one happy camper if this trade goes down. This is per mlb.com:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080110&content_id=2343179&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

That's a better offer than Boston has put out there.....I still think Boston bluffs first and includes Ellsbury and Lester. Lester isn't that good and I'd still hold out for Buchholz AND Ellsbury if I was Minnesota. I guess it depends if the Yankees make a move. Boston doesn't need to make the deal unless the Yankees get another proven starter.

* West is still pissed that I'm not the President of the GrinderStad Fanclub so he's decided to make me "President of the Roger Clemens Fanclub."

cws05champ
01-10-2008, 11:59 PM
I don' think it oes down unless they include Fernando Martinez in that deal. It would be a nice young OF for the Twinkies if it did happen with Delmon Young, Cuddeyer and Fernando Martinez(eventually).

WhiteSox5187
01-11-2008, 04:28 AM
When I lived in NY I became a Mets fan, so this is good on two accounts, one it gets Johan out of the AL and helps my favorite team, two it brings him to my second favorite team!:bandance:

DumpJerry
01-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Just great. This means we'll get our butts kicked in the Civil Rights Game.:angry:

Foulke You
01-11-2008, 11:14 AM
I don' think it oes down unless they include Fernando Martinez in that deal. It would be a nice young OF for the Twinkies if it did happen with Delmon Young, Cuddeyer and Fernando Martinez(eventually).
Well, it helps that the Twins have been reportedly wanting to trade to an NL club over an AL club so it could mean that the Twins are more motivated to find the right match with the Mets. They could very well accept the package the Mets have presented. It would be a great deal for the Mets because they won't have to give up Reyes as originally thought. It is especially good for them if they can sign Santana to that extension. Santana pitching against NL lineups would be ridiculous. Like he really needs an automatic out in the pitcher spot.:rolleyes:

Jaffar
01-11-2008, 01:08 PM
* West is still pissed that I'm not the President of the GrinderStad Fanclub so he's decided to make me "President of the Roger Clemens Fanclub."

If you didn't point it out I may not have noticed.....:rolling: That's good stuff.

Blueprint1
01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Good, send him to the NL so we do not have to face him.

whitem0nkey
01-11-2008, 01:56 PM
would the best case senario be him staying 1 more year and walking so the twins loose him with out anything in return?

but hey Ill take it.

jcw218
01-11-2008, 02:59 PM
would the best case senario be him staying 1 more year and walking so the twins loose him with out anything in return?

While the Twins might loose him to free agency if he stays, there's the chance that they find the money to sign him to an extension. I believe that he'd be considered as a class "a" free agent and the twins would receive extra draft picks for Santana if they failed to keep him

Foulke You
01-11-2008, 04:58 PM
While the Twins might loose him to free agency if he stays, there's the chance that they find the money to sign him to an extension. I believe that he'd be considered as a class "a" free agent and the twins would receive extra draft picks for Santana if they failed to keep him
I believe you are correct that the Twins would get extra draft picks for losing Santana so they are going to get young players in return regardless. I for one hope he gets dealt before this season. Losing Santana from the American League improves the chances of the Sox to contend in '08. Santana usually beats us 5 times every season. Could be an extra few wins for the White Sox not having the Santana kryptonite to deal with.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I don't think the Mets are offering anything close to what the Red Sox (or even Yankees) offered. I can't see the Twinkies taking that type of offer from the Mets.

jcw218
01-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't think the Mets are offering anything close to what the Red Sox (or even Yankees) offered. I can't see the Twinkies taking that type of offer from the Mets.

I for one would not mind Santana being traded to the Mets. As Foulke You said, it would make the White Sox more competitive for 2008. While the Met's offer may not be as good as or better than either Boston's or NYY's offer, that's the Twins prerogative to accept whatever deal that makes sense to them. If the Twins want to trade Santana out of the AL and the Mets are the only NL team to make an acceptable offer, the Twins will probably make the trade.

ShoelessJoeS
01-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Johan to the NL is the best case scenario. GET IT DONE!

russ99
01-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Interesting. As long as Reyes doesn't go to the Twins, this is a best-case scenario for the Sox.

As far as the Yankees/Red Sox offers being more than the Mets, I agree, but a reason the Twins may not want to deal him to the AL East foes as that they have to play them (face Santana and the media backlash) 10-12 times a year and one of them could be in the way of a potential future wild-card spot.

Certainly if the Red Sox are dumb enough to throw in Ellsbury, Lester and Lowrie or if the Yanks would with Cabrera, Hughes and Joba they'd go for it.