PDA

View Full Version : Rosenboob at it again

cws05champ
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
In todays blog by Steve Rosenbloom he uses a lead story about the Cubs interest in Roberts to go on a tirade against the Sox for not acquiring Bedard. The first paragraph is talking about the roberts deal, the 2nd if the Cubs could acquire Bedard. The next 4 paragraphs are bashing the Sox...Unbeleivable!!!
Snipets:

Linky: http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/rosenblog/2008/01/os-roberts-is-i.html

Mod edit: It might be wise to read the Tribune's copyright notice BEFORE you start cutting and pasting:

"You may not republish any portion of the Content on any Internet, Intranet or extranet site or incorporate the Content in any database, compilation, archive or cache. You may not distribute any Content to others, whether or not for payment or other consideration, and you may not modify, copy, frame, cache, reproduce, sell, publish, transmit, display or otherwise use any portion of the Content. You may not scrape or otherwise copy our Content without permission. You agree not to decompile, reverse engineer or disassemble any software or other products or processes accessible through ChicagoSports.com, not to insert any code or product or manipulate the content of ChicagoSports.com in any way that affects the user's experience, and not to use any data mining, data gathering or extraction method."

oeo
01-10-2008, 11:56 AM
The Sox, meanwhile, need Bedard a lot more than the Cubs, even if the Sox don't know it, seeing as how the Sox seem to love giving away major-league pitching more than acquiring it.I can't wait until this Flub pitching staff implodes because Hendry (and apparently everyone else in the city) overlooked how ****ty it really is. They're going to be wishing they had Bedard by midseason in 2008.

I really hope they don't get Roberts, because that team has disaster written all over it. Career years from Hill, Marshall, Lilly, Marquis (for half the year), Theriot, Fontenot (for a little bit)...and there's probably more, too. With all those career years, they were still only a mediocre team in the worst division...now when they come back down to Earth, we'll see how good they are. Oh, and they actually plan on using *gasp* Cub-developed position players.

Sockinchisox
01-10-2008, 11:59 AM
I can't wait until this Flub pitching staff implodes because Hendry (and apparently everyone else in the city) overlooked how ****ty it really is. They're going to be wishing they had Bedard by midseason in 2008.

They're really in deep **** if they start the season with Marquis and Dempster at 4 and 5.

chisoxmike
01-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I can't wait until this Flub pitching staff implodes because Hendry (and apparently everyone else in the city) overlooked how ****ty it really is. They're going to be wishing they had Bedard by midseason in 2008.

Yeah, the media is hailing the Cubs with every position player trade they make, but they've still have yet to fix their pitching staff.

Taliesinrk
01-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Don't underestimate the AA quality baseball that is produced by the NL Central

oeo
01-10-2008, 12:04 PM
They're really in deep **** if they start the season with Marquis and Dempster at 4 and 5.

Color me unimpressed with Rich Hill and Sean Marshall...let alone Ted Lilly, Jason Marquis (this guy is just a terrible pitcher...if he's their #4, I suddenly like Gavin Floyd), and Ryan Dumpster.

Let these dumbasses in this city think something special is happening on the North Side. I actually like our rotation's potential more than theirs, and I only expect us to be a .500 team.

Chicken Dinner
01-10-2008, 12:15 PM
I can't wait for Dumpsters 1st start. :D::D::D::D:

johnnyg83
01-10-2008, 12:18 PM
How can he say one-man starting rotation? ... Javy was our MVSPitcher last year. Jerkface.

thedudeabides
01-10-2008, 12:19 PM
His blog is complete satire. It can be funny, but for the most part it's just throwing shots at everyone. He lays into the Cubs quite often. The Sox are just an easier punching bag at this time.

I'm just getting sick of every columnist forgetting that we got a pretty good pitcher for Chris Young, and at a reasonable price. You have to give up talent to get a pitcher like Javy.

Don't get me wrong, Young looks like an impressive young player, but I'm not ready to enshrine him just yet.

russ99
01-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Sorry, but I don't buy that "comedy central" garbage this year.

The Brewers look the class in both pitching and hitting.
The Cubs are decent but should have their usual post division title fall-off.
The Astros remade their entire lineup for the better.
The Reds have a bunch of really good kids and Dusty usually has a good first year with a new team

The Cards and Pirates have dropped off.

Regardless I predict the Central winner will win 90+ and a team or two will be in the wild card hunt as well.

veeter
01-10-2008, 01:08 PM
How can he say one-man starting rotation? ... Javy was our MVSPitcher last year. Jerkface.Exactly. Javy was a stud last year, and a proven workhorse, like Gio. When Chris Young averages .240 25 72, w/ 140 k's, for the next five years, he'll just be a journeyman ballplayer. Javy has a chance to do great things, playing the most IMPORTANT position on the team. Rosenbloom go **** yourself.

Blueprint1
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
I love how the Chicago media is in love with Chris Young and at the same time has no love for Josh Fields. If you look at the number from last season you will see Josh put up some very good stats.

Foulke You
01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Sorry, but I don't buy that "comedy central" garbage this year.

The Brewers look the class in both pitching and hitting.
The Cubs are decent but should have their usual post division title fall-off.
The Astros remade their entire lineup for the better.
The Reds have a bunch of really good kids and Dusty usually has a good first year with a new team

The Cards and Pirates have dropped off.

Regardless I predict the Central winner will win 90+ and a team or two will be in the wild card hunt as well.
Sorry russ, I disagree. I think the NL Central will be marginally better next year but will still be baseball's worst division.

The Cardinals are barely fielding a major league roster so far and have no outfield to speak of. Edmunds is gone, So Taguchi is gone, and Encarnacion may never play baseball again. Their pitching staff is in shambles and all they've done is add Clement.

The Pirates are still the Pirates and might be trading away Xavier Nady and Jason Bay before this offseason ends. Their starting staff is laughable and won't be enough to stay in contention.

The Stros have done a nice job remaking their lineup and bullpen but the 3-4-5 spots in their rotation are still quite weak.

The Reds signed Cordero so that solves their closer situation but they still have a rotation that is only 2 deep with Harang and Arroyo.

The Brewers might be the most improved simply because they have revamped that bullpen of theirs which was worse than the '07 White Sox last year. They still need another bat to replace Jenkins.

The Cubs have added Fukudome which should help their OBP but they still don't have a true leadoff man and the back end of their rotation is suspect. Their bullpen will rely heavily on not having any sophomore jinx for Carlos Marmol. We saw in Neal Cotts how quickly fortunes can change for young dominant relief pitchers.

Bottom line is that the NL Central features some of the worst starting staffs in all of baseball and the Cardinals everyday lineup outside of Pujols just might be the worst in baseball when the season starts. The Royals could contend in that division.

cws05champ
01-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I love how the Chicago media is in love with Chris Young and at the same time has no love for Josh Fields. If you look at the number from last season you will see Josh put up some very good stats.

That's because the Sox will trade him when he asks for a big contract....so there's no point in getting too attached to a young star on the Sox.

Although I'm sure there are still proud members of the Robert Machado fan club at the Tribune.

Zisk77
01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
Why do I believe that if the sox would have traded the "Hood Ornaments" for Bedard instead of Swisher, that the tribune would say that the sox already have staff aces Beurhle and Javy, with bright prospects in Danks and Floyd (Rogers would call Broadway a future Cy Young based on his gem against the Royals) and a return to Prominence for Contreras. The Starers ere the only bright spot last year. The could afford to trade Garland, but for a ss who tehy'll never be able to re-sign (as if we could re-sign Garland).
Yet they ignore improving their league worst anemic offense and continue to have a glaring hole at CF and no back-up for the aging and rickety Konerko. Then they would suggest a trade for Ken Griffey Jr.

santo=dorf
01-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Do we really have room to talk? They whipped our asses badly last year.

soxtalker
01-10-2008, 03:11 PM
The media make nice targets, but I don't think that Rosenbloom said anything that I haven't seen posted here on WSI by mainly long-time and loyal Sox fans. The fact is that there are a lot of fans and media people who are concerned about the apparent lack of minor league talent and the possible lack of starters on the current staff. I don't share the latter concern, but there are plenty around here who do.

Taliesinrk
01-10-2008, 03:35 PM

White Sox were 3-9 vs. NL Central. Unfortunately for them, their NLC foes hit the Sox in the part of the season that they played the absolute worst. Either way, we were 39-33 vs the AL Central - does that mean we were better than the ALC?? No. Let's face it, the Sox would have fared considerably better had they played in the NL last year (let alone the NLC). I'm not saying they were a playoff team, but my quote about the Cubs playing the NLC definitely plays to their advantage.

Foulke You
01-10-2008, 04:11 PM
The Sox were arguably one of the worst teams in baseball last year. We went 72W-90L. EVERYBODY beat us. Also, as a previous poster pointed out, we were at our absolute worst in the month of June during interleague and we had the most injuries at this time. If memory serves, we had Andy Gonzalez in LF, a hobbled Alex Cintron at 3B, and Luis Terrero in CF for the bulk of those games. You won't beat the Chattanooga Lookouts with those type of players in your everyday lineup. The '07 Sox losing to the NL proves nothing to me about the quality of the NL Central. It was a bad division all year in '07 and will likely produce 1st round NLDS fodder again in '08.

turners56
01-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Don't see a point in the Cubs getting Roberts...all Soriano will do is *****, plus Fonteno might as well be a Brian Roberts, with less speed. What they really need is Bedard, I don't know who the Cubs think they are. Unless, Lilly can reproduce 2007 (which he won't), Hill becomes the next Barry Zito (Cy Young version...), and both Marshall and Marquis win around 15 games with a ERA below 4, they aren't getting anywhere with the staff. They had a great year last year pitching-wise and they still ended up getting swept by Arizona, who have one of the worst offenses out there.

kjhanson
01-10-2008, 05:04 PM
His blog is complete satire. It can be funny, but for the most part it's just throwing shots at everyone. He lays into the Cubs quite often. The Sox are just an easier punching bag at this time.

It is complete satire. Everything must be taken with a grain of salt. None-the-less, I think he's easily one of the "fairest" "columnists" in the city. He takes shots at everyone. He rips on the Cubs to no end, and is pretty witty about it. In a blog of his that I read last week, he mentioned how Cub fans can't afford ticket price increases because they have to save up to pay off their public urination tickets.