PDA

View Full Version : Big Crop Down on the farm.

Notsososox
08-01-2001, 10:48 PM
1. Crede, will be up yet this year. Platoon to start 02
2. Borchard, up by 02 all star break
3. Rauch, up by 02 all star break
4. Almonte, closer with microscopic AA ERA september call up
5. Valensula, september call up crushing the ball after promotion to AAA - just what we need another corner outfielder.
6. Malone, break out year for young lefty 2nd coming of Burlymon? Look for him at spring training in 02 and a september call up in 02
7. Guerrier, steady performer mediocre so/k ratio 2nd coming of josh fogg?
8. Oliva, rocket arm starting to hit September 02 call up
9. Hummel, natural hitter leaning 2nd also insurance at 3rd should crede top out at 4A, September 02 call up
10. Ulacia, another young lefty being rushed along.

If the sox had beaten Boston in game 3 and KC in game 1 they would be 6.5 games back and I wouldn't be living in the future.

Years from now, let us hope that 01 was the exception to the sox reign of terror.

FarWestChicago
08-01-2001, 10:55 PM
Years from now, let us hope that 01 was the exception to the sox reign of terror.

I hope you are right. I would like to forget about this season soon.

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 11:12 PM
8. Oliva, rocket arm starting to hit September 02 call up

:versatile
Well he isn't taking my roster spot that's for sure!

Tragg
08-01-2001, 11:14 PM
Let's package some of those young pitchers for a young ss and c prospect.

You've got to work your team; they don't world series rings for the best aa and aaa pitchers.

Jerry_Manuel
08-01-2001, 11:18 PM

Olivo is a catcher prospect.

delben91
08-02-2001, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

You've got to work your team; they don't world series rings for the best aa and aaa pitchers.

Gotta agree with Tragg on this one. We need to figure out internally which prospects have the best chance of succeeding (in my opinion, Ulacia) and which ones just are having good years. Then we can dump the second group for positions of need. Namely SS, C, and maybe 2B depends on what we decide Ray's status is. As far as Olivio goes, I'd be thrilled if he panned out, but he hasn't exactly been tearing up AA all year so he could end up not making it. I'd gladly take another C prospect. Anyone know what happened with that C we just drafted, Zeringue or something? He was supposed to be great.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 10:39 AM
Anyone know what happened with that C we just drafted, Zeringue or something? He was supposed to be great.

I might be wrong since I don't really go out of my way to look for draft news but I don't think we signed him yet.

jklm
08-02-2001, 10:56 AM
On TeamOneBaseball, I read that Zeringue is set to go to LSU, citing the lack of "respect" from the White Sox organization

Of course, if the Sox throw him more cash, he may change his mind.

P.S. It seems both our 3rd and 4th round picks are going to LSU

Jay Mattox, 6'4" CF
http://teamonebaseball.alliancesports.com/showmsg.asp?fid=48&mid=319538&sid=900&tid=319538&style=1

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 11:07 AM
Of course, if the Sox throw him more cash, he may change his mind.

:reinsy
Yeah the Red Sox!

jklm
08-02-2001, 11:11 AM
http://www.dandydon.com/

A LSU fan site... just search for "White Sox".

P.S. We haven't signed our 2nd pick as well. Open your purse, JR!

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 11:13 AM

:reinsy
Why don't you and come to the ballpark!

Tragg
08-02-2001, 11:22 AM
If we lose them, I lose twice.

The Sox lose their picks.

I'm a tulane fan, and I can do without talent going to lsu.

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 11:26 AM
I'm a tulane fan, and I can do without talent going to lsu.

I know you want those catcher prospects pretty damn bad.

:versatile
I told JR not to sign these guys I am the future.

Randar68
08-02-2001, 11:43 AM

Uhhh, yes we have, we signed him sometime around last weekend and he picked up the win in relief last night for the Bristol Sox of the Appalacian League.

Our organization should simply STOP DRAFTING catchers. Last season, Tony Ritchie was drafted in the 5th round after being rated one of the top 5 overall catching prospects, but he went to Miami because we didn't offer him enough money.

This season, Jon Zeringue and Jay Mattox haven't signed, despite being absolute bargain talent for their draft positions, as Zeringue was ranked as one of the top 3 catchers and Mattox as one of the top 10 OF'ers....

Jerry, open the purse and sign these guys. They aren't likely asking for first round money, but make the F'ing committment at positions we are weak.....CF, C, SS, etc....if you want to be a cheap ass at SP and 1B, fine, but stop dicking around!!!!!!!!!

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 11:49 AM
Jerry, open the purse and sign these guys. They aren't likely asking for first round money, but make the F'ing committment at positions we are weak.....CF, C, SS, etc....if you want to be a cheap ass at SP and 1B, fine, but stop dicking around!!!!!!!!!

I agree Randar sign the guys that can help us.

Joel Perez
08-02-2001, 12:46 PM
When is the deadline that the Sox have to sign all or most of their picks?

I thought is was before the final week in May of the next year.

I would love to zee Zeriengue (sp) and Mattox in the system, but if it's a standpoint of negotiations, we'll have to wait and see.

Remember, Kip Wells was in this situation too, but the Sox signed him around Christmastime (though I am forgetting what year the Sox drafted him--'98???)

Randar68
08-02-2001, 12:49 PM
I believe college players (not JC) are not eligible to be signed once they start college.....I'm not 100% sure here, though.....

CerberusWG
08-02-2001, 02:14 PM
For the last time:If Jerry doesn't want to spend money, why does he own this team?

Jerry_Manuel
08-02-2001, 02:47 PM
For the last time:If Jerry doesn't want to spend money, why does he own this team?

I think he just likes to toy with us.