PDA

View Full Version : White Sox Change Corners

MCHSoxFan
01-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Just posted on whitesox.com:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080108&content_id=2341636&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Scottiehaswheels
01-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Just to throw this out there but, I was wondering if Konerko is moved; how viable would it be to put Crede at first? I would think that would be a little less stressful on his back.

spawn
01-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't think PK will be going anywhere. I don't know how wise it would be to trade him, move Crede to first, and then watch Crede walk after the season. That happens, then you're looking for a first baseman for '09.

DSpivack
01-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't think PK will be going anywhere. I don't know how wise it would be to trade him, move Crede to first, and then watch Crede walk after the season. That happens, then you're looking for a first baseman for '09.

Or a CF, moving Swisher back to 1B (which seems more his natural position, anyway).

WhiteSox5187
01-09-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't think Konerko's going to move anywhere, but IF he is moved, you're more likely to see Fields at first to start the year while we try to market Crede as a healthy third baseman.

soxfanreggie
01-09-2008, 09:37 PM
I actually made this comment, Crede to play some first, when I heard the PK to the Angels trade rumor. If he can handle the hot corner, I wouldn't see why he couldn't handle 1B, same with Fields.

chisox77
01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
With KW, its hard to say what will happen. There is a chance that the White Sox could be blown away with an offer for PK. But it seems likely that Crede will be dealt, though there is always a chance that a team could blow the Sox away with an offer for Fields. But that all depends on Crede's health, whether he is traded or kept. Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see . . .

:cool:

oeo
01-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Just to throw this out there but, I was wondering if Konerko is moved; how viable would it be to put Crede at first? I would think that would be a little less stressful on his back.

This still doesn't solve the major problem with Crede: signing him to an extension. If he was willing, I'm sure Kenny would have moved Fields where ever (whether that be 1B or LF...and I read somewhere that multiple scouts said Fields could become a very solid outfielder with time) in order to keep both. The problem with Crede is Boras, and that extension.

batmanZoSo
01-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Put Crede in center. We all played outfield in little league. How hard could it be?

Swisher can be the 4th starter.

Cat Thief
01-10-2008, 08:04 AM
I actually made this comment, Crede to play some first, when I heard the PK to the Angels trade rumor. If he can handle the hot corner, I wouldn't see why he couldn't handle 1B, same with Fields.

Switching from 3B to 1B isn't all that easy.

SBSoxFan
01-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Just posted on whitesox.com:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080108&content_id=2341636&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

When I saw this, I thought they traded Konerko or Crede. I don't think this article tells us anything new, however.

balke
01-10-2008, 08:49 AM

Crede doesn't have the bat to justify putting him at 1B. With his BA/OBP he's only got one season that's kept him on this team so far. If Crede didn't have that glove we would've seen Fields a long time ago. If the Sox were going to shake the lineup so much that Swisher and Konerko weren't the 1Bman (or on the team), You'd probably see Fields (with Uribe at 3rd) or Dye there before anyone.

pjchisox13
01-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Put Crede in center. We all played outfield in little league. How hard could it be?

Swisher can be the 4th starter.

Don't we need more bullpen help though? I think that's where Swisher could be the most help. :D:

In all seriousness though, I think Crede will move once he shows he is healthy but the Konerko deal probably won't happen before the year if at all. We haven't heard about it for a while now, doesn't mean Angels and Sox aren't talking still but I'm sure Kenny wanted a pretty decent size bounty for Konerko and the Angels backed off. I believe, Kendrick and Figgins and 2 other people were probably asked for and they didn't want to pay the price. Which is fine with us. But if you deal PK and get a mother load for him, it would be sad to see him go but I think you take that deal and don't look back.

balke
01-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Don't we need more bullpen help though? I think that's where Swisher could be the most help. :D:

In all seriousness though, I think Crede will move once he shows he is healthy but the Konerko deal probably won't happen before the year if at all. We haven't heard about it for a while now, doesn't mean Angels and Sox aren't talking still but I'm sure Kenny wanted a pretty decent size bounty for Konerko and the Angels backed off. I believe, Kendrick and Figgins and 2 other people were probably asked for and they didn't want to pay the price. Which is fine with us. But if you deal PK and get a mother load for him, it would be sad to see him go but I think you take that deal and don't look back.

As annoying and unfounded as the Konerko trade talk seems to me at this time, if it did happen I think the Sox would put it off as long as possible, so they could sell tickets before losing the player who is arguably their biggest fan draw.

Frater Perdurabo
01-10-2008, 09:44 AM
If first base was such a difficult position to play, the Phillies would play Ryan Howard somewhere else.

If first base was such a difficult position to play, the Cardinals would play Albert Pujols somewhere else.

If first base was such a difficult position to play, the Brewers would play Prince Fielder somewhere else.

If first base was such a difficult position to play, the Mets would play Carlos Delgado somewhere else.

If the DH did not exist, Frank Thomas, David Ortiz, Jim Thome, Travis Hafner and Jason Giambi would be full-time first basemen. If the DH did not exist, Harold Baines and Edgar Martinez would have been full-time first basemen.

I'm sure that it's not easy to be a very good defensive first basemen, just like it is not easy to be very good defensively at any position. But anyone who knows anything about baseball knows that compared to the other positions, first base is the easiest position to play! That's why so many great hitters who cannot play any other position well are put at first base!

soxfanreggie
01-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Maybe it's from personal experience, but I know a lot of people who moved from the "hot corner" to 1B. Sure, there is some differences, but I wouldn't think a lot.

Taliesinrk
01-10-2008, 07:48 PM
If first base was such a difficult position to play, the Phillies would play Ryan Howard somewhere else.

If first base was such a difficult position to play, the Cardinals would play Albert Pujols somewhere else.

If first base was such a difficult position to play, the Brewers would play Prince Fielder somewhere else.

If first base was such a difficult position to play, the Mets would play Carlos Delgado somewhere else.

If the DH did not exist, Frank Thomas, David Ortiz, Jim Thome, Travis Hafner and Jason Giambi would be full-time first basemen. If the DH did not exist, Harold Baines and Edgar Martinez would have been full-time first basemen.

I'm sure that it's not easy to be a very good defensive first basemen, just like it is not easy to be very good defensively at any position. But anyone who knows anything about baseball knows that compared to the other positions, first base is the easiest position to play! That's why so many great hitters who cannot play any other position well are put at first base!

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. FIRST BASE IS NOT THE EASIEST POSITION TO PLAY! This is contingent on a little mobility (therefore excluding the likes of Fielder - Cecil and Prince - Thomas, Giambi, etc) As long as someone is somewhat mobile, the EASIEST position on the field is LF, hands down (see: Manny Ramirez). Next is either 1B or 2B... I'm not sure.

FedEx227
01-10-2008, 10:25 PM
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. FIRST BASE IS NOT THE EASIEST POSITION TO PLAY! This is contingent on a little mobility (therefore excluding the likes of Fielder - Cecil and Prince - Thomas, Giambi, etc) As long as someone is somewhat mobile, the EASIEST position on the field is LF, hands down (see: Manny Ramirez). Next is either 1B or 2B... I'm not sure.

Yeah if I was ranking it'd most likely go

Easiest-Hardest (not counting catcher or pitcher)

LF
1B
RF
2B
CF
SS
3B

Domeshot17
01-10-2008, 10:45 PM
First is really easy

Just ask Mike Piazza

Its just as easy to be a bad 3b or LF or RF or CF as it is to be a bad 1b. I guess its been a while since college but i forgot how easy it was to do the splits while ending up on my stomach with my arm out stretched in order to scoop a ball out of the dirt by a SS throwin 88-93 mph straight into the ground while holding the base....any chump can do it.

Nellie_Fox
01-11-2008, 12:42 AM
Why do people think second is easy? You often have to cover more ground than SS because the 1B is holding the runner on, and you have to learn the pivot turn on the DP, while the SS is already facing first when he gets the toss on a DP.

SS needs a better arm (the main thing Uribe has going for him, so I also don't understand the call to move him to second) and probably is expected to cover more of the area behind second, but that's it that I can see.

Frater Perdurabo
01-11-2008, 06:01 AM

You undermine your own argument by stating truth.

"A little mobility" is required to play left field.

It is not needed to play first base.