PDA

View Full Version : How to upgrade

flyintotheryan
01-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Hi, I am a new member of WSI, Lifelong White Sox fan, happy to be here.

I have a question as to what is being done to shore up the minor league system. Kenny had made some comments about investing more heavily in the farm system towards the end of last season. Obviously the Swisher trade and the trade for Quentin does not help our farm system's depth, Is anything being done?

rdivaldi
01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi, I am a new member of WSI, Lifelong White Sox fan, happy to be here.

I have a question as to what is being done to shore up the minor league system. Kenny had made some comments about investing more heavily in the farm system towards the end of last season. Obviously the Swisher trade and the trade for Quentin does not help our farm system's depth, Is anything being done?

Well, they sort of a change at the top firing our scouting director Duane Schaffer. But putting Doug Laumann back at the helm again was a questionable move. They also hired Buddy Bell as minor league director, which should prove interesting.

I'm most interested to see how they handle the first pick of the draft. Considering they don't have a second rounder and they will be drafting high, I hope they go with the best available player and pay them what they are worth.

btrain929
01-09-2008, 10:09 PM
It won't turn the whole White Sox farm system into a top 5, but I think we need to play a bigger role in the Rule 5 draft for the minor league portions. It's very cheap to acquire players in this draft, and every year there are always some good players available. It's nearly impossible to fit all the talented minor leaguers in a system on a 40 man roster. I know we picked up a pitcher in this past draft, but I know there are teams that sometimes get 3-5 players in the draft. Can't hurt.....