PDA

View Full Version : Some Trade Ideas

WhiteOut05
01-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Has anyone ever thought about a possible trade with the Giants?

-They have been in the market for a third baseman = we have one to spare in Crede
-They are extreeeemely desperate for power (look at the Rowand signing; right now, him and Bengie Molina would be their biggest sources of power)
-They have a few arms that could interest us.

Right now, I think we need one more starter to help get through not only the central division, but the AL as a whole. The arms that I think Kenny should look into the most are Weaver (Angels), Bedard (Baltimore), and one of the Giants three young guys.

So why not package something around Crede, or use Paulie to get a package built on either Cain, Lincecum, or Lowry?

Thoughts?

jabrch
01-09-2008, 12:25 PM
So why not package something around Crede, or use Paulie to get a package built on either Cain, Lincecum, or Lowry?

Thoughts?

I think you are grossly overrating Crede's value if you think we can get Cain or Lincecum in any deal built around him. Same is probably true for PK.

getonbckthr
01-09-2008, 12:26 PM
I dont see us being a match with the Giants. Now if they would be willing to do a Konerko, Crede, Contreras for Lincecum and Winn deal I would be all over it.

WhiteOut05
01-09-2008, 12:28 PM
i won't disagree wtih you about Crede, i'll admit that was a little bit of a stretch, but I do think Paulie and some change could get something.

pythons007
01-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I don't see the Angels parting with Weaver, and I wouldn't want either Cain or Lowry from the Giants. Lowry walks too many batters and goes in a lot of deep counts equaling a lot of pitches per game and not going deep into ball games. Not to mention he has arm issues in the past.

I really don't see the Giants trading Linimcum (or however the hell you spell it). I would love to see the Sox get him though.

However, I would love to see the Sox go after Bedard! He is young and a power pitcher. Something the Sox really don't have, besides Javy.

johnnyg83
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
There's a blurb on foxsports.com in the rumors section about Crede or Rolen possibly going to the Giants.

cws05champ
01-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't see the Angels parting with Weaver, and I wouldn't want either Cain or Lowry from the Giants. Lowry walks too many batters and goes in a lot of deep counts equaling a lot of pitches per game and not going deep into ball games. Not to mention he has arm issues in the past.

I really don't see the Giants trading Linimcum (or however the hell you spell it). I would love to see the Sox get him though.

However, I would love to see the Sox go after Bedard! He is young and a power pitcher. Something the Sox really don't have, besides Javy.

So you wouldn't want Cain, but you would want Bedard because he's a power pitcher? :?: You do know Cain is a pretty decent power pitcher too and 5 years younger than Bedard.

WhiteOut05
01-09-2008, 12:45 PM

I think if the Giants heard Paulie's name to start, they'd at least listen in regards to Lincecum. But the Angels would probably be a little tougher with Weaver.

But I agree, Bedard would be option A.
I read somebody's post about a three-team deal with the Angels and Orioles, and though it is not likely, I am still going to root for it.

-The Angels could get their power in Paulie and Joe
-We would get Bedard, Willits, and some change (other players I have yet to think of)
-And the Orioles would get their rebuilding pieces in guys like Santana/Saunders, Adenhart, Kotchman, Floyd (they'd take him, he's from Maryland :D:), Brian Anderson/Owens

This deal doesn't quite work out, but you get the idea.

Chicken Dinner
01-09-2008, 01:08 PM
There is a Weaver available but it's not Jared it's Jeff. :D:

eriqjaffe
01-09-2008, 01:21 PM
He is young and a power pitcher. Something the Sox really don't have, besides Javy.http://gd.major2.co.kr/images/Players/90x135/MP_1007/430911_90x135.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_434878.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_213680.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_407819.jpg
"What about us?"

Foulke You
01-09-2008, 01:52 PM
I'm wondering if the old rumored trade of Crede to Milwaukee for Capuano is still a possibility. Capuano isn't overpowering but he could make a solid veteran innings eater for our rotation and some "Gavin Floyd Insurance". With the price of starting pitching these days, I'm not sure if Crede alone will get that deal done though.

SoxNation05
01-09-2008, 01:57 PM
I think if the Giants heard Paulie's name to start, they'd at least listen in regards to Lincecum. But the Angels would probably be a little tougher with Weaver.

But I agree, Bedard would be option A.
I read somebody's post about a three-team deal with the Angels and Orioles, and though it is not likely, I am still going to root for it.

-The Angels could get their power in Paulie and Joe
-We would get Bedard, Willits, and some change (other players I have yet to think of)
-And the Orioles would get their rebuilding pieces in guys like Santana/Saunders, Adenhart, Kotchman, Floyd (they'd take him, he's from Maryland :D:), Brian Anderson/Owens

This deal doesn't quite work out, but you get the idea.
That would be my post. As much as I like Kendrick he would be going to the Orioles.

Sox Trade: PK, Danks, BA, Aardsma and Crede
O's Trade: Bedard and Roberts
Angels Trade: Figgins, Adenhart and Kendrick
Sox Get: Figgins and Bedard
O's Get: Adenhart, Kendrick, BA and Danks
Angels Get: PK, Crede and Roberts

russ99
01-09-2008, 03:20 PM
That would be my post. As much as I like Kendrick he would be going to the Orioles.

Wow, that's tasty. Now we're talking. :D:

I'm still not sure the Angels would pass on cutting out the Sox and getting Bedard on their own, though...

btrain929
01-09-2008, 03:25 PM

:o:

SoxNation05
01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Wow, that's tasty. Now we're talking. :D:

I'm still not sure the Angels would pass on cutting out the Sox and getting Bedard on their own, though...
Angels rotation: Lackey, Escobar, Garland, Saunders, Weaver
They also have Santana and Adenhart.

WhiteOut05
01-09-2008, 04:13 PM

that is very interesting for all teams involved, but id much rather have willits than figgins. willits is a true leadoff guy. sure figgins has done it, but remember last year he struggled there A LOT, then Scioscia moved him to 9th and put willits there. Thats when Figgins started to hit, and with Reggie after him, their offense picked up a bunch. And besides, in this deal, the Angels would be getting Roberts, so we should get Willits. Figgins is going to ask for too much money in two years anyways, Willits will be more affordable.

And I think the sox should get a minor prospect in this deal too; we gave up a lot. The Angels would probably have to throw in another pitcher to go with Adenhart, probably Santana. They like Saunders too much.

great idea though

pythons007
01-09-2008, 05:20 PM
http://gd.major2.co.kr/images/Players/90x135/MP_1007/430911_90x135.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_434878.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_213680.jpghttp://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_407819.jpg
"What about us?"

They are all RP.

oeo
01-09-2008, 05:47 PM
that is very interesting for all teams involved, but id much rather have willits than figgins. willits is a true leadoff guy. sure figgins has done it, but remember last year he struggled there A LOT, then Scioscia moved him to 9th and put willits there. Thats when Figgins started to hit, and with Reggie after him, their offense picked up a bunch. And besides, in this deal, the Angels would be getting Roberts, so we should get Willits. Figgins is going to ask for too much money in two years anyways, Willits will be more affordable.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Go check out their splits. Figgins batted .339/.415 in the leadoff spot and .259/.292 in the #9 spot. Willits was .267/.359 in the leadoff spot, and .322/.422 in the #9 spot.

WhiteOut05
01-09-2008, 07:05 PM
You have no idea what you're talking about. Go check out their splits. Figgins batted .339/.415 in the leadoff spot and .259/.292 in the #9 spot. Willits was .267/.359 in the leadoff spot, and .322/.422 in the #9 spot.

wow, touche

santo=dorf
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
wow, touche
http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/caveman.jpg

"Maybe next time do a little research."

Seriously, that was worse than Tragg calling Haren "no Mulder," and a "decent 5th starter" the other day.

The Thomenator
01-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I am curious to what type of ettiquite GMs have with each other. My question is, can KW swing a three way deal in two parts without letting the first guy know about it.

My idea: Sox tell the Orioles to hold their horses on doing anything with Bedard and Roberts because they could potentially offer a pretty good package themselves. The O's are better off waiting for the best package anyways.

Sox deal Crede and Konerko to the Angels for Kendrick, Santana, and Adenhart. (This might have to wait till Spring Training to show that Crede can be solid.)

After that is done, Sox swing all three of those guys along with Floyd and Danks for Bedard and Roberts.

The O's would get an ideal 2nd baseman to replace Roberts and 4 young, cheap pitchers.

The Angels keep their leadoff man with Figgins (2B?) and get Vlad some more protection along with a stellar glove at the hot corner.

The O's would have Lowenen (sp?), Guthrie, Adenhart, Danks, and Floyd. That's quite the rotation come 2009.

The Sox would have a rotation of Bedard, Javy, Buehrle, Contreras, and Broadway/Egbert (no idea why people overlook this guy) and a lineup of Roberts, Cabrera, Thome, Swisher, Dye, Pierzinski, Fields, Quinten, and Owens.

What are your thoughts?

Brian26
01-09-2008, 07:43 PM

Poor David Aardsma vanishes into thin air. :redneck

santo=dorf
01-09-2008, 07:44 PM
It's very possible the O's can get Gavin Floyd for free by the end of Spring Training. His value is little.

WhiteOut05
01-09-2008, 08:44 PM
http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/caveman.jpg

"Maybe next time do a little research."

Seriously, that was worse than Tragg calling Haren "no Mulder," and a "decent 5th starter" the other day.

well, im out here in Los Angeles, so Im in touch with the Angels and the press they get, and for weeks Figgins was hounded for a long slump he had at leadoff. So he was moved to the 9 hole and Willits took over, and things picked up for him.

now the splits have a drastic difference, but stats only go so far. and look at the AB's; he had 85 at 9th and 218 at leadoff. i think that has a little to do with it.

i think id have a little more knowledge to give when it comes to guys who play in California because of where im from

misty60481
01-09-2008, 08:46 PM
How do you manage to replace the 60+ HRs and 180 RBIs that will be lost losing PK and Crede ? Certainly not with Roberts, Quentin, & Owens. Dont give the BS about OBP, the only stat that counts is Runs.

russ99
01-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Angels rotation: Lackey, Escobar, Garland, Saunders, Weaver
They also have Santana and Adenhart.

Understandable, but Bedard is better than all but the top one or two, so if the Angels had a shot or was in a three-way deal with the Orioles, I don't see how they'd decide to be nice to the Sox and let us have a pitcher as good as Bedard.

Despite the Mariners rumors, I could see the Angels dealing some prospects for Bedard and trading their lesser pitchers to fill holes at 1B/3B. Pitching's a huge commodity, and anytime a team has a surplus like LA they have a lot of flexibility to make deals.

russ99
01-09-2008, 08:51 PM
How do you manage to replace the 60+ HRs and 180 RBIs that will be lost losing PK and Crede ? Certainly not with Roberts, Quentin, & Owens. Dont give the BS about OBP, the only stat that counts is Runs.

Easy. Fields and Swisher take over at 3B and 1B (I'd expect 50/165 over a full season of 500+ AB) and the players we get in return fill other holes like CF-leadoff, middle reliever and possibly #4 starter.

The batting order would beak down to: new leadoff guy, Cabrera bats #2, Swisher bats 3rd, Thome moves to 4, Dye #5 Fields/AJ #6 or 7, Quentin #8, Richar (or Owens if we get a 2B leadoff man) #9.

I'm not advocating dealing Paulie, but that's how it would shake down.

Brian26
01-09-2008, 09:25 PM
It's very possible the O's can get Gavin Floyd for free by the end of Spring Training. His value is little.

You're implying the Sox would flat-out give Floyd his unconditional release? I can't imagine any logical scenario where that would happen.

WhiteSox5187
01-09-2008, 09:45 PM
You're implying the Sox would flat-out give Floyd his unconditional release? I can't imagine any logical scenario where that would happen.
You're right, especially since every team would love to have either Floyd or Danks according to Kenny.

Brian26
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
You're right, especially since every team would love to have either Floyd or Danks according to Kenny.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but you're damn right every team would like to have a guy with a lot of raw talent, young, healthy, and cheap.

santo=dorf
01-10-2008, 06:45 AM
No.

He is out of options so if the Sox decide they don't want to bring him along for the ride, he will have to clear waivers. Since the O's finished near the bottom in the AL last year, they won't have to wait too long.

Brian26
01-10-2008, 06:32 PM
No.

He is out of options so if the Sox decide they don't want to bring him along for the ride, he will have to clear waivers. Since the O's finished near the bottom in the AL last year, they won't have to wait too long.

After all of the crap he got about the Freddy Garcia trade, Kenny Williams will eat his shoes before he gives Gavin Floyd away for free before the season starts.

Can you imagine how bad of a spring Floyd would have to have to warrant not even making the team as a long relief man in the bullpen? It would have to be horrific.

sox1970
01-10-2008, 07:05 PM
After all of the crap he got about the Freddy Garcia trade, Kenny Williams will eat his shoes before he gives Gavin Floyd away for free before the season starts.

Can you imagine how bad of a spring Floyd would have to have to warrant not even making the team as a long relief man in the bullpen? It would have to be horrific.

As long as Floyd's and Danks's arms don't fall off, they'll be in the rotation. There will be very little competition in spring training--especially for the pitchers. Just too hard to evaluate in Tucson.

santo=dorf
01-10-2008, 07:29 PM

...and how was his spring last year? He was groomed for the spot but John Danks blew him away for it. It is such out of the realm for a Jack Egbert or Lance Broadway to do it this year?

I thought we were supposed to take KW's words with a grain of salt? Remember how he was talking about Gio and how big his future would be? Why did he trade him then?

Brian26
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
...and how was his spring last year? He was groomed for the spot but John Danks blew him away for it. It is such out of the realm for a Jack Egbert or Lance Broadway to do it this year?

Not at all. I like the way Broadway looked on the mound in September. I think Kenny would make room for Floyd in the bullpen, though, before he ever let him go.

I thought we were supposed to take KW's words with a grain of salt? Remember how he was talking about Gio and how big his future would be? Why did he trade him then?

I don't think the Swisher trade meant KW had given up on Gio. KW decided he had to acquire Swisher, and he gave up a valuable prospect.

santo=dorf
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
As long as Floyd's and Danks's arms don't fall off, they'll be in the rotation. There will be very little competition in spring training--especially for the pitchers. Just too hard to evaluate in Tucson.
This isn't little league as we shouldn't play favorites over the best option for the team. Gavin has had numerous chances to be a starter, and he has failed. If he posts numbers like last March and someone else outpitches him, tough. You take the best option for your team

In case nobody remembers:
9.00 ERA, 0-3, 19 IP, 29 H, 9 BB, 10 K's, 2.00 WHIP, 3 HR allowed, 4 HBP.

sox1970
01-10-2008, 07:43 PM
This isn't little league as we shouldn't play favorites over the best option for the team. Gavin has had numerous chances to be a starter, and he has failed. If he posts numbers like last March and someone else outpitches him, tough. You take the best option for your team

In case nobody remembers:
9.00 ERA, 0-3, 19 IP, 29 H, 9 BB, 10 K's, 2.00 WHIP, 3 HR allowed, 4 HBP.

I know what you're saying, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I think the Sox plan is to just stick with their plan, and not muddy the waters in spring training.

It's going to be interesting to see what changes they'll make in ST. I hope the veterans get a lot more work, and less Robert Valido types getting 3 ABs every game. I remember reading the veterans will play in a lot more of the games, and not the early morning B games. So we'll see.