PDA

View Full Version : RIP Buddy LeRoux ( the man who let Fisk go to Chicago )

Fenway
01-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Buddy LeRoux who rose from being the trainer of the Celtics and later the Red Sox to part owner of the BoSox passed away on Monday.

LeRoux was despised by Red Sox fans as he along with Haywood Sullivan decided to get rid of Rick Burleson, Fred Lynn, and Carlton Fisk.

Then he tried to take control of the team in 1983 with a coup but he picked the night the Red Sox were having a fund raiser for Tony Conigliaro who had been stricken by the heart attack that would end his life. The fans and media never forgave him.

However Buddy is also the reason the Red Sox are the financial powerhouse they are today. On the advice of Eddie Einhorn Buddy along with Paul Mooney of the Bruins started NESN in 1984. Today NESN is worth twice what the team is worth.

He also pretty much destroyed Suffolk Downs in Boston which he took over from Bill Veeck.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/01/09/buddy_leroux_was_part_owner_of_sox_real_estate_bar on_at_77

Gammons wrote a few years ago
But remember the low point in 1983? It was Tony Conigliaro Night at Fenway and the '67 team was there, the evening after friends of the Conigliaro family, organized by Ed Kleven, had put together a benefit night at Symphony Hall. As the '67 players watched in astonishment, LeRoux walked in at 4:30 and announced his Coup LeRoux, claiming that he and the limited partners had overturned Yawkey and Sullivan and not only controlled the team, but had installed Mrs. Yawkey's archrival, Dick O'Connell, as GM. Less than a half-hour later, Sullivan and Harrington entered the room and announced that LeRoux's coup was invalid, that they were still in charge, and what ensued was a bitter court fight that eventually led to the buying out of LeRoux.
http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2001/1228/1302146.html

Danryan
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Who cares?

Fenway
01-09-2008, 11:05 AM
Who cares?

Fisk never plays for the White Sox if Buddy LeRoux decided players were not worth the money.

cards press box
01-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Boy, do I ever remember the opener in Carlton Fisk's first year with the White Sox. I was in Connecticut at the time and I found a television that had channel 38 from Boston. I watched the Red Sox broadcast and disticntly remember Fisk hitting a three-run homer over the green monster to beat the Red Sox. How about that?

SBSoxFan
01-16-2008, 09:55 AM
However Buddy is also the reason the Red Sox are the financial powerhouse they are today. On the advice of Eddie Einhorn Buddy along with Paul Mooney of the Bruins started NESN in 1984. Today NESN is worth twice what the team is worth.

It's too bad Einhorn didn't suggest they start Sportsvision.

Fenway
01-18-2008, 11:07 AM
It's too bad Einhorn didn't suggest they start Sportsvision.

We have talked about this before. If Reinsdorf doesn't panic and sell Sportsvision to Dolan for about 49 cents..the White Sox today would be one of the richest teams in MLB. Einhorn was proven correct...he was just 10 years too early.