PDA

View Full Version : Soxfest

Steelrod
01-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Soxfest two day pass available at 10am today for $70.00.

soxfan21
01-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I just wish that they still had an option for one day passes this year, kinda stinks that they are only selling 2 day passes.

It's Time
01-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Can't wait. Kenny, IMO, saved himself from a complete rip fest by trading for Swisher. That said, it will still be entertaining. :smile:

chisoxmike
01-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Pass. There isn't enough to do for one day, and they're making people shell out $70 for a two day pass.

JGarlandrules20
01-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I wish they had the option of a one day pass too...

This is the first year I won't be going since '04.

chisoxmike
01-09-2008, 10:05 AM
WOW! There is a $5 "convenience charge" Totaling your ticket to $75. What a rip off!

salty99
01-09-2008, 10:11 AM
WOW! There is a $5 "convenience charge" Totaling your ticket to $75. What a rip off!

yes it is very shocking that ticketmaster would have a convenience charge!

skottyj242
01-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I have decided to pass on this year. It will be the first one missed in many moons.

Foulke You
01-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I haven't gone since they moved it to the Palmer House. I was afraid that prices would go up when they moved to the swanky hotel and I was right. Just a few years ago, I paid $15 for a 1 day pass at the Hyatt. Now, I have to pay $70 for a 2 day pass when all I want is 1 day? No thanks. I'll spend that $70 towards real Sox games when single game tickets go on sale.

skottyj242
01-09-2008, 10:27 AM
I haven't gone since they moved it to the Palmer House. I was afraid that prices would go up when they moved to the swanky hotel and I was right. Just a few years ago, I paid $15 for a 1 day pass at the Hyatt. Now, I have to pay $70 for a 2 day pass when all I want is 1 day? No thanks. I'll spend that $70 towards real Sox games when single game tickets go on sale.

You mean you've missed one whole year? :D: They used to give us tickets for being season ticket holders. All you had to do was call your rep and they would have them waiting at will call for you.

chisoxmike
01-09-2008, 10:32 AM
They used to give us tickets for being season ticket holders. All you had to do was call your rep and they would have them waiting at will call for you.

Thats the price of winning a championship.

SoxNation05
01-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I hope Kenny says something about the OF because I am not looking forward to be seeing Jerry Owens out there. This will be the first time I don't go since 2001.

jenn2080
01-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I decided not to go this year.

CashMan
01-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I hope Kenny says something about the OF because I am not looking forward to be seeing Jerry Owens out there. This will be the first time I don't go since 2001.

You won't have to, Swisher will be playing CF.

Sockinchisox
01-09-2008, 01:26 PM
You won't have to, Swisher will be playing CF.
If Owens has a god-like spring he will be in CF and Swish will be in LF.

skobabe8
01-09-2008, 02:09 PM
I doubt we will go. Maybe if a********e numbers are way down this year they will be forced to change back to the way it used to be.

BainesHOF
01-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Forcing people to buy a two-day pass is yet another transparent Soxfest money grab.

The event use to be held to generate media coverage and promote the team to its fans to drum up ticket sales. It's a shame it's degenerated into the Sox milking many of their best fans for every last dollar.

starboy0
01-09-2008, 03:01 PM
This is also the first year I won't be going in awhile. The price just got a bit out of hand. I actually feel guilty for not going.

ChiSoxJay
01-09-2008, 03:09 PM
This is the first year I am actually going. Bought my 2 day pass this morning. I know I overpaid because I only plan on going for 1 day but I'm excited nonetheless. Can any of you SoxFest veterans recommend some must do's at the Fest? What day does Kenny and Ozzie usually take questions from the fans?

Iwritecode
01-09-2008, 03:16 PM
It's only 2 weeks away and there's not a single ticket to be found on Ebay. That's really suprising. Usually it's loaded with them.

salty99
01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
This is the first year I am actually going. Bought my 2 day pass this morning. I know I overpaid because I only plan on going for 1 day but I'm excited nonetheless. Can any of you SoxFest veterans recommend some must do's at the Fest? What day does Kenny and Ozzie usually take questions from the fans?

they take questions at all their seminars.

chisoxmike
01-09-2008, 04:09 PM
It's only 2 weeks away and there's not a single ticket to be found on Ebay. That's really suprising. Usually it's loaded with them.

Probably becuase the 2-days passes and hotel rooms have not sold out yet.

MCHSoxFan
01-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Check again!!! :D:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-CHICAGO-WHITE-SOX-FEST-2-DAY-PASSES-1-26-1-27_W0QQitemZ150204167064QQihZ005QQcategoryZ16122QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

chisoxmike
01-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Check again!!! :D:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-CHICAGO-WHITE-SOX-FEST-2-DAY-PASSES-1-26-1-27_W0QQitemZ150204167064QQihZ005QQcategoryZ16122QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Whoever posted that will not have any bids, except for morons. Tickets are not sold out to SoxFest. The person copied and pasted the note on the purchase page from whitesox.com

OR, the person selling the tickets is going to rip themselves off by risking that someone is going to underpay for the tickets since its not sold out. I should put in a $20 bid.

Passes are available by Will-Call only.Tickets will not be mailed!I would presume that the seller will go with the buyer of the tickets to the Palmer House and get the tickets, then give them to the buyer? :dunno:

chisoxfan83
01-09-2008, 05:01 PM
this will be my first time not going since 04. Its just a matter of principal for me not buying them. I can't justify spending $70 for only being able to make one day. I wish it was back at the hyatt. I also wish there was something we could do to make a statement to the sox about how this is being handled especially towards their season ticket holders :angry:

Lip Man 1
01-09-2008, 05:53 PM
Chisox:

E-Mail Brooks and tell him your thoughts on the matter.

Lip

Foulke You
01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
You mean you've missed one whole year? :D: They used to give us tickets for being season ticket holders. All you had to do was call your rep and they would have them waiting at will call for you.
While I do go to many Sox games, I am not an official season ticket holder so I'm not privy to perks like free Sox Fest tickets.

BTW, I actually missed the fest prior to the '06 season as well. I forgot that they were still at the Hyatt for that one. The post World Series hype created a ticket shortage if I recall and ebay prices were outrageous so I missed out on it. It's a shame because I used to look forward to the fest, buying some merchandise, and sitting in on the fans shaking their fists at Kenny Williams. Too rich for my blood though. It's just not worth $140 for my wife and I to go. I'll save my money for actual Sox games.

Foulke You
01-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Chisox:

E-Mail Brooks and tell him your thoughts on the matter.

Lip
I know that "Email Brooks" has become cliche around WSI but this time, I just might do that.

Lip Man 1
01-09-2008, 07:27 PM
There's nothing 'cliche' about it. Brooks has impressed me and many others here with his willingness to actually read, let alone respond to e-mails. He apparently cares very much what Sox fans (even if it is only one) is thinking.

Lip

Scottiehaswheels
01-09-2008, 07:44 PM
While I do go to many Sox games, I am not an official season ticket holder so I'm not privy to perks like free Sox Fest tickets.? Free Sox fest tickets? I wish... Maybe back in the day, but nowadays we pay full price just like everyone else...

Medford Bobby
01-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey, I will enjoy my own personnal "Sox Fest" all month long when spring training starts here in Tucson. My first S.T. since 2000!!!:bandance:

Viva Medias B's
01-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I have decided not to attend SoxFest this year, and it is not at all because of how the offseason has been going. In fact, if it were still at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, I would be there for certain! I went last year to SoxFest 2007, the inaugural one at the Palmer House Hilton, and felt I did not get enough value for the higher prices I paid. In other words, it just was not as much fun as it used to be when it was at the Hyatt. Hence, I have decided to not go this year for that reason.

dickallen15
01-09-2008, 10:23 PM
? Free Sox fest tickets? I wish... Maybe back in the day, but nowadays we pay full price just like everyone else...
It used to be half priced for season ticketholders. I don't understand why they are trying to make this event so exclusive. If a dad wanted to take a couple of kids, its going to cost over $200, just for tickets. They should go back to the 1 day passes.

chisoxmike
01-09-2008, 10:35 PM
I have decided not to attend SoxFest this year, and it is not at all because of how the offseason has been going. In fact, if it were still at the Hyatt Regency Chicago, I would be there for certain! I went last year to SoxFest 2007, the inaugural one at the Palmer House Hilton, and felt I did not get enough value for the higher prices I paid. In other words, it just was not as much fun as it used to be when it was at the Hyatt. Hence, I have decided to not go this year for that reason.

You're right. I did not enjoy myself last year. I felt bored. Usually when I leave SoxFest, I can't wait for the season to start. Last year, I was indifferent about it.

Iwritecode
01-10-2008, 09:37 AM
this will be my first time not going since 04. Its just a matter of principal for me not buying them. I can't justify spending $70 for only being able to make one day. I wish it was back at the hyatt. I also wish there was something we could do to make a statement to the sox about how this is being handled especially towards their season ticket holders :angry:

I think the fact that it's not even sold out yet is making a pretty big statement.

Just look at the number of people in this thread alone saying that they won't be going this year because they simply cannot afford it or didn't like the fact that they've changed locations.

Tickets used to sell out within hours.

BainesHOF
01-10-2008, 11:18 AM
If a dad wanted to take a couple of kids, its going to cost over $200, just for tickets.

As if the Sox care...

Domeshot17
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
To be fair its a big trade off. I know not everyone does this, and it sucks for people like a lot of us who collect autographs, but the common fan can cash in at sox fest too. I forget for what but my fiancee got me a huge framed picture of the flag over the outfield opening the WS up. We took the picture apart and have been getting the white trim around the picture signed by members of the team. I put pictures of it on photobucket and a freind showed his dad. He offered me 4-5 times what she paid for the picture. I turned it down, but even if the hotel and weekend pass cost me 75 bucks, It could have been spun into a several hundred dollar profit. That wasn't even
half the autographs we got that weekend. We go because we collect, but the truth is you do get your money's worth depending how you value it.

For the people who do the seminars more and don't care for autographs, then yes, you probably overpay somewhat. I personally was a big fan of the hotel change. I like the different levels and had a good time last year.

skottyj242
01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
I wish the merch area was open to the public. They have some great deals there, I have gotten a ton of stuff for cheap. Nice t-shirts for like five bucks.

Steelrod
01-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Soxfest is different things to different people. Price and value is a personal thing.
Some people compare it to spring training and free autographs, while others consider airfare, hotel, and meals as part of spring training.
I personally don't like soxfest and do not collect autographs. This thread will probably string out until it is sold out, and then people will be unhappy about it. Others will say it isn't successful because selling out took too long.

soxwon
01-10-2008, 10:01 PM
It used to be half priced for season ticketholders. I don't understand why they are trying to make this event so exclusive. If a dad wanted to take a couple of kids, its going to cost over $200, just for tickets. They should go back to the 1 day passes.
Need a sunday ticket?

PeoriaSoxFan
01-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Like most everyone else, I feel that all of the new changes flat out suck. I feel that it penalizes the loyal fans. With that said, I was still a sucker and bought a two day pass, even though I can only go to one day. Does anyone know if it is actually one pass good for both days, or if we will get two passes (one for each day)? The TicketMaster rep told me the latter, but I am guessing she is wrong. She also said they would mail out the ticket(s) even though the Sox site said they would be will-call only.

Sox Fest appeared to be sold out last year. If that is true, why did the Sox force this two day pass on everyone? This should be a time to reward the loyal fans, not put the screws too them.

soxwon
01-11-2008, 08:40 AM
People whine too much about location.
Its Soxfest-its still a great time, look at the good side, not the negative.
If it was held in an alley, id still go, as long as players are there, fans are there, a few booths for tshirts etc.
So you miss out, on a good time-thats your loss.
Its a nice thing to do, in the middle of winter.
Ok its not the Hyatt- but its still Soxfest.
Quit whining about it, tons of fans go and have a good time.

soxwon
01-11-2008, 08:42 AM
I wish they had the option of a one day pass too...

This is the first year I won't be going since '04.

i got a sunday ticket available-cheap!!!

Iwritecode
01-11-2008, 09:28 AM
If it was held in an alley, id still go, as long as players are there, fans are there, a few booths for tshirts etc.

I haven't seen nearly as many people complain about the location as much as the jacked up cost.

BainesHOF
01-11-2008, 12:59 PM
...but the common fan can cash in at sox fest too.

How so? I don't think your example proves the point. Soxfest is pretty much a losing proposition if you're trying to make money. By the time you add the high cost of tickets, parking, food and, if you stay overnight, your hotel room, and then include the hours and hours of waiting, it's a losing proposition monetarily. However, the Sox are now running the event like the opposite is true.

For years the Sox have tried to act like Soxfest isn't mainly about autographs, but that's always been the case for the majority of attendees. All you have to do is check out the long lines for proof. Now the Sox are trying to put a price on the autographs by raising prices as if they're presenting an autograph lineup at a memorabilia show. The problem with that thinking is memorabilia shows don't involve the cost of hotel rooms and the hours and hours of waiting that are part of Soxfest. (And at least at a memorabilia show, the paid signer is more likely to sign your item nicely than say Jermaine Dye, who acts like he doesn't want to be there and goes out of his way to jag you.)

It's just too bad the Sox seem to be penalizing their loyal fans because of seemingly the team's mistaken notion that some fans are taking advantage of the event to make money. It's aggravated by the fact that those fans who have tried such a losing proposition have been a small minority anyway.

Of course, I could be wrong. The ridiculous new rules and high prices for Soxfest may be based 100 percent on pure greed by the organization.

salty99
01-11-2008, 01:27 PM
I think a better way to run Soxfest would be like the Twins do.

1. Charge a low entrance fee that gets you into the fest/merch areas/seminars/etc.

2. Charge another fee for the autos of the players you want. ie $25 for Johan Santana

It could be worse, just look at the Cardsfest: $50 for Scott Spiezio and $175 for Pujols on a ball or photo.

billcissell
01-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Not going this year because in my opinion Soxfest has turned into sham.

Two-day pass X 5 plus parking, food, etc. = way too much money.

I used to look forward to it, especially considering the weather and time of year. I enjoyed the seminars, my kids liked getting the autographs, got photos taken with Melton and Skowron, loved browsing through the booths, even had a brief chat with Reinsdorf himself.

The last few have been overcrowded and I assume, oversold. Back at the Hyatt I remember waiting forever on a cold Friday night to get in. Then the line on Saturday morning to get an autograph from the Blizzard of Oz snaked throughout the whole hotel and spilled out onto the sidewalk. I realized people had been camped out there from the night before. These people waited many hours (8? 10? 12?) for a 30-second chat and autograph. Unbelievable!

No thanks. It seems like over the last few years Soxfest has gradually lost its appeal to me. And $70? I seem to recall $15 for one day just a few years ago.

Too each his own. For those who are going, I hope you get your money's worth and have a good time.

salty99
01-11-2008, 02:06 PM
another lineup update:

Players and team members scheduled to appear: Mike Squires, Joel Horlen, Bart Johnson, Roland Hemond, Scott Linebrink, Mark Buehrle, Bobby Jenks, Josh Fields, Paul Konerko, Javier Vazquez, Jermaine Dye, A.J. Pierzynski, John Danks, Jerry Owens, Gavin Floyd, Carlos Quentin, Josh Fields, Harold Baines, Jeff Cox, Juan Nieves, Mark Salas, Greg Walker, Hawk Harrelson, Darrin Jackson, Chris Singleton and Ed Farmer. As current and former team members are scheduled for SoxFest, the list will be updated on whitesox.com.

Looks like Fields and his clone will be there.

SaltyPretzel
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
another lineup update:

Players and team members scheduled to appear: Mike Squires, Joel Horlen, Bart Johnson, Roland Hemond, Scott Linebrink, Mark Buehrle, Bobby Jenks, Josh Fields, Paul Konerko, Javier Vazquez, Jermaine Dye, A.J. Pierzynski, John Danks, Jerry Owens, Gavin Floyd, Carlos Quentin, Josh Fields, Harold Baines, Jeff Cox, Juan Nieves, Mark Salas, Greg Walker, Hawk Harrelson, Darrin Jackson, Chris Singleton and Ed Farmer. As current and former team members are scheduled for SoxFest, the list will be updated on whitesox.com.

Looks like Fields and his clone will be there.

Wasn't there a pitcher in the organization named Josh Fields also?

BainesHOF
01-11-2008, 02:46 PM
On one day Fields will appear as a third baseman. The next day he'll be a left fielder.

salty99
01-11-2008, 03:46 PM
On one day Fields will appear as a third baseman. The next day he'll be a left fielder.

I thought that was Rob Mackowiak?

Medford Bobby
01-11-2008, 06:42 PM
The Mariner's do a one day fan-fest at Safeco Field. It's only 5 or 10 bucks to get in and they have games for kids, autograhs and much more. And then you could always go across the street and have a cold pint of Pyramid Hef:gulp:

Lip Man 1
01-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Swisher said on Chicago Tribune Live! a few days ago that he'd be there.

Very nice to see Horlen and Bart Johnson invited.

Horlen is one of the nicest men around, I've spoken with him many times, he's a good friend of Bobby Knight's, lives in the San Antonio area and plays lots of golf. He was also a hell of a pitcher.

If you get a chance to visit with him I'd recommend it highly.

Lip

Brian26
01-11-2008, 08:13 PM
but the common fan can cash in at sox fest too.

I like getting autographs for my own collection. I just don't see how you could ever plan on making money off of them anyway when they aren't certified signatures.

Medford Bobby
01-11-2008, 08:29 PM
OK, here's what a fanfest should be.......FAN FRIENDLY:D: from mlb.com

"When the Fans Take the Field"

Join us for the Mariners 10th Annual Seattle Mariners FanFest at Safeco Field. Meet some of your favorite players, past and present, and enjoy exclusive access to the Mariners Clubhouse, the bullpen and the field itself! Make plans to bring the whole family to Safeco Field January 26th & 27th for two days of fun for fans of all ages.

SCHEDULE/TICKET INFORMATION
Once they go onsale, tickets are available for purchase online by clicking the green buttons below, at all Mariners Team Store and TicketMaster outlets, and at the Safeco Field Box office the day of the event.

Adults - $10
Kids ages 6 - 14 - $5
Kids 5 and under - FREE
Parking in the Safeco Field garage: $5

Brian26
01-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Adults - $10
Kids ages 6 - 14 - $5
Kids 5 and under - FREE
Parking in the Safeco Field garage: $5

Those prices are nice, but let's be honest. If the prices are so low that 15,000 people show up for the event, how comfortable of an atmosphere is it going to be? There has to be a happy medium.

ChiSoxGirl
01-11-2008, 08:47 PM
Those prices are nice, but let's be honest. If the prices are so low that 15,000 people show up for the event, how comfortable of an atmosphere is it going to be? There has to be a happy medium.

See SoxFest 2006. Talk about overcrowding and breaking fire codes!

Granted the ticket prices weren't that cheap when SoxFest was at the Hyatt, but those prices were nothing like they are now!

Medford Bobby
01-11-2008, 08:56 PM

They have it at Safeco Field, so space is not a problem. Also the Mariner's have a caravan that goes around the state and shows up at schools and sign auto's and giveaways! A couple of years ago I got to chat with Jeremy Reed after he was just traded to the M's.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:mvfSQVa--iXlLM:http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/sports/baseball/images/mariners/mariners-july.JPG (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/sports/baseball/images/mariners/mariners-july.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/sports/baseball/mariners.htm&h=544&w=435&sz=29&hl=en&start=5&um=1&tbnid=mvfSQVa--iXlLM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=106&prev=/images%3Fq%3DJeremy%2BReed%2BMariners%26svnum%3D10 %26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX)

Brian26
01-11-2008, 09:02 PM
They have it at Safeco Field, so space is not a problem.

Ok, if you're into autographs, how many autographs are you going to be able to get if you're competing with half the State of Washington? :redneck

Medford Bobby
01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Ok, if you're into autographs, how many autographs are you going to be able to get if you're competing with half the State of Washington? :redneck

That's true, those Richie Sexson lines go right into Qwest Field....:(:

yazz32
01-11-2008, 09:13 PM
2-Day Tickets still available. I have a feeling Soxfest will not be a sell-out this year. Maybe someone will bring up to Brooks during his seminar that the 2-day pass wasnt a good idea and they will go back to the 1 day passes.

Well here's hoping anyways.

jenn2080
01-11-2008, 09:43 PM

Thank you. I loved it last year. It was way more organized last year and it was not a cluster ****.

I think a better way to run Soxfest would be like the Twins do.

1. Charge a low entrance fee that gets you into the fest/merch areas/seminars/etc.

2. Charge another fee for the autos of the players you want. ie $25 for Johan Santana

It could be worse, just look at the Cardsfest: $50 for Scott Spiezio and $175 for Pujols on a ball or photo.

No way. If that is the case, more people would go to regular autograph sessions and pay $100 for on item to be signed.

jenn2080
01-11-2008, 09:44 PM

See SoxFest 2006. Talk about overcrowding and breaking fire codes!

Granted the ticket prices weren't that cheap when SoxFest was at the Hyatt, but those prices were nothing like they are now!

Of course. Sox won the World Series. People will pay.

btrain929
01-13-2008, 11:58 PM
I was curious about a few things regarding autographs at Soxfest. I went to a few when I was younger, and I don't remember much of it. I went last year, but got there at 12pm, I believe it opened at 11, and I think they said all the bracelets for autos were gone by like 9am???? Is there usually a good time to try and get in these lines to get those bracelets for autos? Also, when you get to the player, can they only sign one thing, or can they sign 2-3 things if you give them to the player? Obviously I'm not saying bring 12 things up to the player, but is 2 or 3 things feasible? Or just one auto per fan....??

salty99
01-14-2008, 08:25 AM
I was curious about a few things regarding autographs at Soxfest. I went to a few when I was younger, and I don't remember much of it. I went last year, but got there at 12pm, I believe it opened at 11, and I think they said all the bracelets for autos were gone by like 9am???? Is there usually a good time to try and get in these lines to get those bracelets for autos? Also, when you get to the player, can they only sign one thing, or can they sign 2-3 things if you give them to the player? Obviously I'm not saying bring 12 things up to the player, but is 2 or 3 things feasible? Or just one auto per fan....??

One auto per person in the lines. They are very strict about this.

skottyj242
01-14-2008, 08:41 AM
I love how I got the email about tickets going on sale from my rep, yesterday. If I didn't know about it and wanted to go I would be pissed.

btrain929
01-14-2008, 09:27 AM
One auto per person in the lines. They are very strict about this.

What about the process to get a bracelet to get an auto? Are there actually designated times people starting getting in line? Or is it just the earlier, the better? If Soxfest doesn't start until 10am, where would people form the lines at 8am when, I'm assuming, a lot of people get there?

skottyj242
01-14-2008, 10:17 AM
What about the process to get a bracelet to get an auto? Are there actually designated times people starting getting in line? Or is it just the earlier, the better? If Soxfest doesn't start until 10am, where would people form the lines at 8am when, I'm assuming, a lot of people get there?

Friday last year started at four, we were there at one and in the middle of the line. Saturday at ten I believe, we got there at 7:30ish, and we were about a block down the street waiting outside. Sunday was about the same.

jenn2080
01-14-2008, 10:20 AM
I love how I got the email about tickets going on sale from my rep, yesterday. If I didn't know about it and wanted to go I would be pissed.

Your rep sucks thats why. I got that email way before Soxfest tix went on sale.

itsnotrequired
01-14-2008, 11:16 AM

Really? Wow, that is surprising. Aren't those e-mails automated anyway? I'm not going to SoxFest but got the e-mail announcing the sale a mere half hour before they were available.

skottyj242
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Really? Wow, that is surprising. Aren't those e-mails automated anyway? I'm not going to SoxFest but got the e-mail announcing the sale a mere half hour before they were available.

Yep. I saw it this morning but I got it yesterday.

Iwritecode
01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Friday last year started at four, we were there at one and in the middle of the line. Saturday at ten I believe, we got there at 7:30ish, and we were about a block down the street waiting outside. Sunday was about the same.

I knew this was happening 2 years ago at the Hyatt. It's still happening at the new place too? :o:

Just 3 years ago if you got in line 3 hours early you were one of the first 50-100 people...

skottyj242
01-15-2008, 10:09 AM
I knew this was happening 2 years ago at the Hyatt. It's still happening at the new place too? :o:

Just 3 years ago if you got in line 3 hours early you were one of the first 50-100 people...

Last year was jammed. The upstairs was okay to navigate but the second level got a bit crowded if one of the ballrooms was full and there were people waiting outside.

RLipp
01-19-2008, 02:38 PM
woundering if crede is going to be a soxfest this year!

BainesHOF
01-19-2008, 06:09 PM
woundering if crede is going to be a soxfest this year!

not shure yet!

btrain929
01-20-2008, 10:25 PM
For people who went to Soxfest last year, how does it work for the wristbands for the autographs? Do they start handing out the wristbands all at the same time, no matter when people are signing? (ie. hand out bracelets at 8am for people signing at 12pm and 3pm, or just the early signers?). Can you feasibly get more than one bracelet/would you be able to get through more than one line with how big they are?

I'm guessing it'll be pretty bad line-wise saturday and sunday, but not so much friday since it's a little more private. The crowds and/or lines should be considerably smaller, so hopefully I can get a good amount of autos on friday.

Thanks in advance.

Sockinchisox
01-20-2008, 10:33 PM
For people who went to Soxfest last year, how does it work for the wristbands for the autographs? Do they start handing out the wristbands all at the same time, no matter when people are signing? (ie. hand out bracelets at 8am for people signing at 12pm and 3pm, or just the early signers?). Can you feasibly get more than one bracelet/would you be able to get through more than one line with how big they are?

I'm guessing it'll be pretty bad line-wise saturday and sunday, but not so much friday since it's a little more private. The crowds and/or lines should be considerably smaller, so hopefully I can get a good amount of autos on friday.

Thanks in advance.

No the time they hand out wristbands differs depending on what time someone is signing.

Wristbands were terrible last year, people would get 3 different wristbands each for a different player, when I believe you were only allowed to have 1 wristband at a time. So if a person wanted a specific player, sometimes all the wristbands were gone and went to people who weren't even waiting in line.

Hopefully it's different this year.

And unless they changed where you wait to get into SoxFest in the morning I would HIGHLY recommend getting up around 4 or 5 AM so you don't have to wait outside.

btrain929
01-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Ya I'd hope they'd let you wait somewhere in the Palmer House.

Last year I got there at like 10am and the bracelets were all gone for people signing at 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, it didn't matter. That's why I wasn't sure if they passed them all out at one time.

Friday opens at 4pm, Saturday and Sunday around 10am I'm guessing. When would you guys suggest getting there to get in lines for the bracelets? How would I even go about it? Walk into the Palmer House and ask them where the lines are for autographs? Would they even know?

Sockinchisox
01-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Ya I'd hope they'd let you wait somewhere in the Palmer House.

Last year I got there at like 10am and the bracelets were all gone for people signing at 12pm, 2pm, 4pm, it didn't matter. That's why I wasn't sure if they passed them all out at one time.

Friday opens at 4pm, Saturday and Sunday around 10am I'm guessing. When would you guys suggest getting there to get in lines for the bracelets? How would I even go about it? Walk into the Palmer House and ask them where the lines are for autographs? Would they even know?

If it's the first signing of the day get there right as soon as the doors open, but if it's in the middle I would check 2 hours or so before, maybe a little earlier.

And to find out where the lines are there are attendants to tell you where specific rooms are where people are signing.

And ya the first signing of Sat. and Sunday will probably be at 10 but they'll probably let everyone in around 8 to get in line.

Lukin13
01-21-2008, 11:24 AM
A couple questions for the Soxfest vets, I have never been before... :

1. How are the tickets distributed? Do you get seperate tickets for Saturday and Sunday or is it a wristband that you keep on for both days?? Basically, is it even possible for someone who purchased a two day package to sell one day or the other to a friend?

2. I am not really interested in any autographs, mostly the chance to buy some game used merch. Is all the good stuff picked over by Sunday?

3. How much else is there to do if you aren't interested in standing in line for Toby Hall's signature???

Thanks!

Sockinchisox
01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
A couple questions for the Soxfest vets, I have never been before... :

1. How are the tickets distributed? Do you get seperate tickets for Saturday and Sunday or is it a wristband that you keep on for both days?? Basically, is it even possible for someone who purchased a two day package to sell one day or the other to a friend?

2. I am not really interested in any autographs, mostly the chance to buy some game used merch. Is all the good stuff picked over by Sunday?

3. How much else is there to do if you aren't interested in standing in line for Toby Hall's signature???

Thanks!

1. Last year they gave you a big pass to wear around your neck designating what you bought (All weekend, Just Saturday, etc.) So I'd guess they're doing that again.

2. I'm not really big into the game used merch stuff so I wouldn't know but the rest room (not the bathroom ha) with all the shops is always a great time killer and they always have some cool and unique stuff there.

3. There's a good amount of stuff to do outside of waiting for autographs, you have all the shop (trust me theres a lot). The seminars which are my favorite part of SoxFest, are a blast and they have some other stuff there to.

btrain929
01-21-2008, 12:02 PM
If it's the first signing of the day get there right as soon as the doors open, but if it's in the middle I would check 2 hours or so before, maybe a little earlier.

And to find out where the lines are there are attendants to tell you where specific rooms are where people are signing.

And ya the first signing of Sat. and Sunday will probably be at 10 but they'll probably let everyone in around 8 to get in line.

Do they typically hand out the bracelets outside of the room that they will be signing in? Or some other random places in the hotel? Also, I'm assuming the players have different pens/markets to sign with, or should be bring something just in case?

esbrechtel
01-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Mod edit: First, all tickets are to be sold in the WSI ticket exchange. Second, you must include the price you are charging, and the maximum you may charge is face value.

yazz32
01-22-2008, 02:10 PM
FYI. Schedule of SoxFest Events is Up!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/community/soxfest_schedule.jsp?loc=index

yazz32
01-22-2008, 02:14 PM
More Info on the New Wristband Policy and Looks like Jim Thome has been added.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

**IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING WRISTBANDS FOR AUTOGRAPHS**

SoxFest 2008 Autograph Session Wristband Policy

To assist with crowd flow at SoxFest, colored wristbands will be utilized for each autograph session (a different color for every session).
The number of wristbands for each session will correspond with the number of autographs listed in the program for each session.
Wristbands will be issued at each autograph booth on a first-come, first-serve basis for each session.
Wristband distribution for future autograph sessions will begin when the line for the preceding session has reached capacity.
To enable the greatest number of SoxFest guests the opportunity to obtain an autograph, only one wristband may be obtained per guest at any one time. Multiple wristbands will not be issued to any one guest.
Guests with more than one wristband at one time will be denied autograph privileges and all wristbands will be removed by a White Sox representative.
Once a guest receives a wristband, he/she may not obtain a wristband for an additional session until they have received an autograph from the current session and a White Sox representative has removed their wristband.
Wristbands will be removed by a White Sox representative upon arrival at the specific autograph booth. Guests are welcome to try for another wristband for a different autograph session once the first band is removed by a staff member.
The correct colored wristband will be needed in order to access an autograph line.
Guests with a wristband for any particular session must be in line no later than 30 minutes after the start time of the autograph session to be guaranteed an autograph.
The transferring of wristbands, along with line jumping will result in loss of all autograph privileges.Thank you for your cooperation!

soxwon
01-23-2008, 08:40 AM
On saturday i plan to try to get Nick Swishers autograph at 10AM its for only 100 people.
What time should i get there, to be one of 100? 8AM?

Iwritecode
01-23-2008, 09:11 AM
On saturday i plan to try to get Nick Swishers autograph at 10AM its for only 100 people.
What time should i get there, to be one of 100? 8AM?

If it's anything like the last time I was there, get in line at 10 the night before...

Also, Swisher is at 12:00 on Saturday and it's the first 275. :?:

yazz32
01-23-2008, 09:43 AM
The Swisher one for first 100 people at 10AM Sat is for Photo only, No Autographs

Autograph one for Swisher on Sat is at 12PM for first 275 people.

soxwon
01-23-2008, 10:15 AM
The Swisher one for first 100 people at 10AM Sat is for Photo only, No Autographs

Autograph one for Swisher on Sat is at 12PM for first 275 people.

actually i just want a picture.

Sockinchisox
01-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Do they typically hand out the bracelets outside of the room that they will be signing in? Or some other random places in the hotel? Also, I'm assuming the players have different pens/markets to sign with, or should be bring something just in case?

They hand out the wristbands outside of the room that they're signing in. And unless you plan on flagging a player down while they're walking somewhere you don't need a pen or marker.

I've already got my plan down:

Friday: Kenny/Ozzie Q & A, Danks, Fields and Owens signing afterwards.
Saturday: Dye at 10, Buehrle w/ Horlen & Nieves at 2:30, Outfield seminar at 3:30
Sunday: Swisher at 11 and if I'm lucky Thome at 1.

yazz32
01-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Looks like SoxFest sold out. ..

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080123&content_id=2353891&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

chisoxmike
01-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Good for the Sox.

Doesn't make the stunt they pulled about buying two day passes any less ****ty.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing if it actually "sold out," or if the Sox just stopped selling tickets so they can claim it has "sold out."

soxfan21
01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Good for the Sox.

Doesn't make the stunt they pulled about buying two day passes any less ****ty.

Also, I'd be interested in knowing if it actually "sold out," or if the Sox just stopped selling tickets so they can claim it has "sold out."
I agree, it didn't seem like many people were buying tickets, and a lot of people that I know were pretty upset about the whole 2 day pass thing. I still wouldn't be surprised if they keep the 2 day pass thing from here on out because of soxfest being "sold out."

Lorenzo Barcelo
01-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Will it still be different lanyards for each day, or will you have to use the same lanyard for both days?

Sockinchisox
01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
Will it still be different lanyards for each day, or will you have to use the same lanyard for both days?

Same.

Steelrod
01-24-2008, 06:22 AM
I agree, it didn't seem like many people were buying tickets, and a lot of people that I know were pretty upset about the whole 2 day pass thing. I still wouldn't be surprised if they keep the 2 day pass thing from here on out because of soxfest being "sold out."
Just curious, did the public have to tell you if they were buying tickets to Soxfest or not?

jamteh
01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Couldn't find this info. Just curious: Does anyone know if there's a bar at the Palmer House to go like there used to be at the Hyatt? If so, can you go if you don't have tickets?

jenn2080
01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Couldn't find this info. Just curious: Does anyone know if there's a bar at the Palmer House to go like there used to be at the Hyatt? If so, can you go if you don't have tickets?

There is a bar in the middle of the hotel and a bar and grill.

whitesoxwilkes
01-24-2008, 01:48 PM
There is a bar in the middle of the hotel and a bar in grill.

Wow. The latter must be HOT.

jamteh
01-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks, Jenn

soxfan21
01-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Just curious, did the public have to tell you if they were buying tickets to Soxfest or not?
No, the general public did not have to tell me if they were going or not, but I was just talking about a group of people that I hang out with pretty often, I was not talking about the general public. Many of the people that I see often were not going to soxfest because of the 2 day pass thing. There are also people that I know who are going which is good for them, because I know that they will have a good time and will tell me about it when they get back.

whitesoxwilkes
01-25-2008, 12:36 PM
I just ran over to drop off my watch for repairs and walked past the Palmer House. I bumped into Brian26. :redneck

Sockinchisox
01-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I'm waiting in line right now, pretty boring.

KenBerryGrab
01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Have fun, you peoples. Take it easy on Kenny. He'll get us back to the promised land!

soxfan21
01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Let us know how the Q&A session goes with Kenny and Ozzie when it is done with. I know that comcast sports net will talk about it tonite on sports nite, but I would like to know how everyone here thought it went.

Sockinchisox
01-25-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm in the opening ceremonies room right now then I'm staying in here for the kenny q&a.

jenn2080
01-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Have fun, you peoples. Take it easy on Kenny. He'll get us back to the promised land!

:rolling:

I am sure that will not happen.

chisoxmike
01-25-2008, 04:04 PM

I am sure that will not happen.

Come on Jenn, JUST LIKE '05!!!!!!!!!!

Sockinchisox
01-25-2008, 04:20 PM
We just sang happy birthday to Swisher.

jenn2080
01-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Come on Jenn, JUST LIKE '05!!!!!!!!!!

I bet we win our first game by 1.

jenn2080
01-25-2008, 04:29 PM

I hear right after you sang he went pee in the 3rd stall.

Dude enjoy Soxfest and stop giving updates.

chisoxmike
01-25-2008, 04:30 PM

You spent, what.. $85 for a weekend pass. Enjoy SoxFest, get off the net.

whitesoxwilkes
01-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I actually like the play by play updates. **** the haters, keep it up.

Sockinchisox
01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
sitting around waiting is boring.

Edit: I Overheard a news anchor say it's not Swishers' birthday aha.

jenn2080
01-25-2008, 04:39 PM
You spent, what.. $85 for a weekend pass. Enjoy SoxFest, get off the net.

No ****. I enjoy talking to randoms while waiting. Last year while in like I was talking to lady whose hubbie was in line behind me last year(2006). Small world.

On a better note. I hear Paulie is wearing miss matched socks.

soxfan21
01-25-2008, 04:48 PM
I still just wish that they had the one day pass still this year. Would have been nice if they offered a one and two day pass even.

sox1970
01-25-2008, 04:51 PM

d.o.b. 11/25/80

jenn2080
01-25-2008, 04:54 PM
I still just wish that they had the one day pass still this year. Would have been nice if they offered a one and two day pass even.

I do too. I would have went either today or Sunday.

Domeshot17
01-25-2008, 05:51 PM
As a hotel stayer the hotel guests only is amazingly awesome. Ended up at Dye/Quentin, coulda had Konerko but thought there was more people here and went for OZzie, had to go get Jenks before they would let us have Ozzie, got Jenks, and will have Ozzie in about an hour. Good overall crowd. I wonder how nuts this will be tomorrow.

Quentin was really cool. He signed as number 20, saying he just got it.

soxfan21
01-25-2008, 05:54 PM
How was the Q&A session?

Sockinchisox
01-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Kinda boring, there was one guy yelling at Kenny for not signing Rowand. It was just him explaining his moves. He said he didn't want Willis in the Cabrera deal. He doesn't know who Pedro Alvarez is, He's very excited about Quentin and that Cabrera is going to be a huge part of the team. And he first acquired Owens with the intention of him being Pods' replacement. Speaking of Pods he said he's close to signing a minor league deal with another team.

I also scored an authentic Swisher jersey for $120.

JB98
01-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Kinda boring, there was one guy yelling at Kenny for not signing Rowand. It was just him explaining his moves. He said he didn't want Willis in the Cabrera deal. He doesn't know who Pedro Alvarez is, He's very excited about Quentin and that Cabrera is going to be a huge part of the team. And he first acquired Owens with the intention of him being Pods' replacement. Speaking of Pods he said he's close to signing a minor league deal with another team.

Wow, I was expecting quite a bit of shouting. Just one guy *****ing about Rowand, huh?

skobabe8
01-25-2008, 06:41 PM

I hope and pray theres a swisher authentic left on sunday. How are the vendors this year? More or less than last year???????

gr8mexico
01-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I hope and pray theres a swisher authentic left on sunday. How are the vendors this year? More or less than last year???????
Well Swisher just swithed his number to 20.

sox1970
01-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Well Swisher just swithed his number to 20.

No, that was Carlos Quentin.

Fields is taking 22.

soxfan21
01-25-2008, 06:59 PM

Was the guy that was yelling at Kenny an older guy? Just got done watching sports nite and they showed some guy yelling at Kenny about last season and what went wrong. He was wagging his soxfest program and everything, it was pretty funny. By the way, good score on the Swisher jersey.

Sockinchisox
01-25-2008, 07:16 PM

If I had to guess I would say more but maybe like one more than last year.

I'm praying Swisher doesn't change his number.

And that one guy really ******* about Rowand for 5 minutes.

Flight #24
01-25-2008, 07:23 PM
He said he didn't want Willis in the Cabrera deal.

Can you clarify - was that along the lines of why they lost out was that he didn't want Willis (hard to believe given what Detroit gave up)? Regardless, IMO that's a poor decision. Willis would have possibly helped with the loss of Danks in the deal, and IMO he could have been flipped easily to a team like the Mets thus costing the Sox nothing financially and possibly yielding something in return (along with netting Cabrera).

That's the kind of move I think would have been a solid use of payroll dollars: Acquire a superstar by taking on another team's contract.

Also - any questions on changes in the farm system and/or what they're doing to resolve the lack of production?

bryPt
01-25-2008, 07:41 PM
Kinda boring, there was one guy yelling at Kenny for not signing Rowand.

Wait, but today in the cubune, Mark Gonzalas said tht KW is going to need a disguise to hide from all the people that were going to rip him, and that it is going to be non stop *****ing?????? You mean someone in the cubune got it wrong??? You mean the Sox beat writer got it wrong???

what a pos paper with pos reporters the cubune is.

I am glad that KW was respected, well frankly, because Sox fans are more respectful and intelligent than what the cubune spews out of the tower ever day.

Make 'em all wrong KW, I really would like to see you holding up the trophy this year on Lasalle St. again with the cubune tower in the background!

Viva Medias B's
01-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Could it be possible that because only hotel guests were at this seminar, KW would have have faced serious interrogation from people? Generally, I would suspect that hotel guests would be more genteel than rank-and-file fans who will attend Saturday and Sunday.

Patrick134
01-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Could it be possible that because only hotel guests were at this seminar, KW would have have faced serious interrogation from people? Generally, I would suspect that hotel guests would be more genteel than rank-and-file fans who will attend Saturday and Sunday.

Can't wait for the genius questions from these disgruntled types. Usually amounts to a lot of whining non-questions that aggravate the crowd as much as the desired targets.

Chilli Palmer
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM

I have to agree with ya.

TheOldRoman
01-25-2008, 11:12 PM
I am glad that KW was respected, well frankly, because Sox fans are more respectful and intelligent than what the cubune spews out of the tower ever day.
Maybe you don't remember stories of WSI's confidant of Mrs. Rowand wagging her finger and scolding KW at a past Soxfest. There are a lot of intelligent, civil Sox fans, and lots of ones that aren't. This session being peaceful might have had something to do with the hotel thing. I fully expect a mob of angry blowhards to tear Kenny apart, insult him personally, and tell him the moves he should have made. All the while, Phil Rogers, Moronotti, and Greg Couch will be skipping hand in hand loving every minute of it.

pdimas
01-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Your rep sucks thats why. I got that email way before Soxfest tix went on sale.

:rolleyes: Our rep has been great. He has definitely gone out of his way for us.

California Sox
01-26-2008, 01:20 AM
What a surprise. The Trib focuses on the heated exchange with Farmio before KW took the podium. link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080125-ken-williams-chicago-white-sox,1,4648418.story)

Is it any wonder no one wants to talk to journalists? They write their stories before they happen.

BadBobbyJenks
01-26-2008, 03:32 AM
:rolleyes: Our rep has been great. He has definitely gone out of his way for us.

Well my rep can beat up your rep.:tongue:

fozzy
01-26-2008, 08:35 AM
What a surprise. The Trib focuses on the heated exchange with Farmio before KW took the podium. link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-080125-ken-williams-chicago-white-sox,1,4648418.story)

Is it any wonder no one wants to talk to journalists? They write their stories before they happen.

articles like that are why i stopped buying the trib or the suntimes. for a more a accurate article check out http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=121855&src=162

WhiteSox5187
01-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Truth be told, I would have liked to have seen some other moves made and some of Kenny's comments this off season "You can't spend a dollar when you only ahve fifty cents" were maddening, but I do think this team will be better than '07. I'm not worried about shortstop, I'm not worried about CF or the bullpen I am worried about the rotation and the leadoff spot. Those are the only questions I'd have for Kenny and they wouldn't be angry questions either.

jabrch
01-26-2008, 09:59 AM
He doesn't know who Pedro Alvarez is

I'm guessing that was sarcasm...He's probably trying to convey the message that the draft is not his top concern of his right now as he is focused on the remaining moves before this team breaks camp.

I really doubt he has no clue who Pedro Alvarez is.

I'm amazed anyone listens to Kenny. Everything he says is so contrived.

bryPt
01-26-2008, 10:19 AM
That fans were already spent to argue with Kenny?

Bull**** Mr. Gonzalas, you are just an ass trying to stir dung up. For the love of JAH Mr. Gonzalas, resign now because your credibility is so low right now and still dropping, your name is going to be laughing stock in journalism circles.

oh wait, it, along with every other horrible writer in the tower, already is.

oeo
01-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Truth be told, I would have liked to have seen some other moves made and some of Kenny's comments this off season "You can't spend a dollar when you only ahve fifty cents" were maddening, but I do think this team will be better than '07. I'm not worried about shortstop, I'm not worried about CF or the bullpen I am worried about the rotation and the leadoff spot. Those are the only questions I'd have for Kenny and they wouldn't be angry questions either.

Moves like what? I like the idea of having Swish better than Hunter or Rowand. If you wanted more trades, who else do we have to trade?

And the leadoff spot won't be as big of a problem as most think. One of the things about this team that I really like, is unlike the past two years, there are second (and sometimes third) options if something doesn't work out, or there are some key injuries. This team has a lot of depth if something were to go wrong (and really, I think this is a major advantage over a team like Detroit who could be killed by key injuries like we were last year).

So if Owens gets the job out of Spring Training, and it's just not working, we have other options. Move Cabrera there, maybe try Swish there, the possibility of Ramirez or Richar, etc. There's other options out there.

Sockinchisox
01-26-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm guessing that was sarcasm...He's probably trying to convey the message that the draft is not his top concern of his right now as he is focused on the remaining moves before this team breaks camp.

I really doubt he has no clue who Pedro Alvarez is.

I'm amazed anyone listens to Kenny. Everything he says is so contrived.

No he said it in a very serious tone, He didn't remember the question (it was a 3 parter) and the guy who asked it said "Pedro Alvarez" and Kenny said "Who?" and the guy said "Vanderbilt's star 3rd basemen" and Kenny replied
"I really am not familiar with that person".

And Ozzie said Swisher will either bat 2nd, 5th or 6th.

canOcorn
01-26-2008, 12:26 PM
No he said it in a very serious tone, He didn't remember the question (it was a 3 parter) and the guy who asked it said "Pedro Alvarez" and Kenny said "Who?" and the guy said "Vanderbilt's star 3rd basemen" and Kenny replied
"I really am not familiar with that person".

Good Lord......

DickAllen72
01-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Good Lord......
Under the radar.

MrT27
01-26-2008, 01:01 PM
With regards to Pedro Alvarez I'm not sure he can talk about him yet because the draft hasn't taken place yet and he could still be considered an amateur.

russ99
01-26-2008, 02:02 PM
With regards to Pedro Alvarez I'm not sure he can talk about him yet because the draft hasn't taken place yet and he could still be considered an amateur.

Possibly, but I also think Kenny's had his plate full with assembling the Sox major and minor league teams this winter.

The draft isn't until June. I'd bet the scouting department is quite busy internally and hasn't even started feeding reports and video to Kenny yet for him to know that much about individual players.

whitesoxwilkes
01-26-2008, 02:50 PM
Just got back from the Palmer House. What a cluster****. Now I'm even more glad I was skiing last year.

Hit up the WSCF pencil pull. Came up just about empty. Vickery's got it rigged ever since a couple years ago when I won one of the grand prizes on the first night. Nice to see Hal though and introduce him to the kid.

Ran into Brian26 and Hangar18, talked to them for a while. Brian was rocking an Ehren Wasserman game used road jersey. Shook the Chairman's hand as he walked by while I was standing outside the restroom.

Garage sale purchases: 4th of July hat, BA used bat, BA game worn jersey ( tagged series 1 so he at least got to wear it while riding the bench).

Brian26 astutely pointed out that there was no venue listed on the program for next year, just the dates. I really hope they move it back to the Hyatt.

skobabe8
01-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Just got back from the Palmer House. What a cluster****. Now I'm even more glad I was skiing last year.

Hit up the WSCF pencil pull. Came up just about empty. Vickery's got it rigged ever since a couple years ago when I won one of the grand prizes on the first night. Nice to see Hal though and introduce him to the kid.

Ran into Brian26 and Hangar18, talked to them for a while. Brian was rocking an Ehren Wasserman game used road jersey. Shook the Chairman's hand as he walked by while I was standing outside the restroom.

Garage sale purchases: 4th of July hat, BA used bat, BA game worn jersey ( tagged series 1 so he at least got to wear it while riding the bench).

Brian26 astutely pointed out that there was no venue listed on the program for next year, just the dates. I really hope they move it back to the Hyatt.

:bandance:

Viva Medias B's
01-26-2008, 08:12 PM

I heard from someone at Grandstand, which is also skipping SoxFest I understand, that the Sox have a five-year contract with the Palmer House. Don't know if that is accurate, but that is what I heard.

HITMEN OF 77
01-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I really hope they move it back to the Hyatt.

I'll second that.

pdimas
01-26-2008, 10:15 PM
From what I read on the White Sox site it seems like the Town Hall Meeting this past afternoon went even better than yesterday. I wonder how the media is gonna spin it tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I thought if anything if there was gonna be a *****fest today and tomorrow were gonna be the days it would happen. I say this because ppl with tix for yesterday were ones that had hotel rooms.

areilly
01-27-2008, 11:27 AM
From what I read on the White Sox site it seems like the Town Hall Meeting this past afternoon went even better than yesterday. I wonder how the media is gonna spin it tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Just out of curiosity, since when is whitesox.com a source of spin-free, objective reporting?

itsnotrequired
01-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Just out of curiosity, since when is whitesox.com a source of spin-free, objective reporting?

Who said it was? At least they don't admit to being an unbiased source.

Domeshot17
01-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Gotta love the Sox and the Hilton. I'm not upset Thome couldn't get in, But it sucks to lineup at 1 am and they tell us 10 minutes before it opens. They knew last night. Then they don't even replace Thome. I'm waiting on bart johnson n floyd then done. Still a great overall Soxfest but this Thome thing was handled like amateurs (which is about I can call a few members organizing this)

whitesoxwilkes
01-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Gotta love the Sox and the Hilton. I'm not upset Thome couldn't get in, But it sucks to lineup at 1 am and they tell us 10 minutes before it opens. They knew last night. Then they don't even replace Thome. I'm waiting on bart johnson n floyd then done. Still a great overall Soxfest but this Thome thing was handled like amateurs (which is about I can call a few members organizing this)

What happened with Thome?

Sockinchisox
01-27-2008, 02:05 PM
What happened with Thome?

He couldn't get in to town for reasons they didn't tell us.

I met Swisher today I asked him if he planned to change his number at all and he said, "It's gonna be 30 dude", and he saw I was wearing his jersey and he said "Ya man it's all about #30!" haha. So if anyone was worried about that there you go.

jabrch
01-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I met Swisher today I asked him if he planned to change his number at all and he said, "It's gonna be 30 dude", and he saw I was wearing his jersey and he said "Ya man it's all about #30!" haha. So if anyone was worried about that there you go.

Maybe I will take the duct tape off of the OR and the Z on my 30 jersey, have the letters stripped, and redone as a Swisher! Or maybe I will keep it as is to remember Magglio's douchebaggery.

voodoochile
01-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Maybe I will take the duct tape off of the OR and the Z on my 30 jersey, have the letters stripped, and redone as a Swisher! Or maybe I will keep it as is to remember Magglio's douchebaggery.

Do it over, for 30 bucks, you've got a winner. The other is to allow Magglio to live inside your head (and closet) for free.

Sockinchisox
01-27-2008, 02:19 PM
Also I noticed, Owens and Swisher have become good friends, in the outfield seminar yesterday Swisher said Owens was showing him around and helping him. And I saw him and Owens coming into the hotel after they went shopping at Nordstroms (I know it was Nordstroms because of the giant logo on the 8 bags they were carrying).

Also Quentin's nickname is 'Los. Swisher and Owens referred to Carlos as 'Los throughout the whole seminar yesterday.

whitesoxwilkes
01-27-2008, 03:10 PM
He couldn't get in to town for reasons they didn't tell us.

Hmmm. Interesting since he lives in Hinsdale pretty much year round.

esbrechtel
01-27-2008, 03:14 PM
I got home not too long ago...here is my soxfest recap...

Friday was awesome! I know it sucked for those who did not get the hotel pass but it was great to see all the vendors before it was a mess, it was nice to get some good autos and have the opportunity to get even more (only got Linebrink, Swisher and Ozzie I probably could have got paulie but I already have a few of his) it was also sweet to see that the garage sale took way longer to get picked clean...

Good (in no particular order):
small crowd friday
the new ad campaign posters were awesome (and free)
Multiple "popular" players at the same time to alleviate crowds
wristbands actually worked!
all of the signs and the ushers were seriously helpful
miller's pub had a great BBQ pork (not really part of soxfest but needed to be said
Check-in was handled very well
the Comcast autograph booth (got Hawk, DJ, and Melton)
the Spring Training auto booth (got Hemond and Minoso)
the Photo stage looked cool (I did not take part but is a good idea)

Bad (also in no order):
1. The Thome situation should have been handled like this
-if you want an autograph we will give out 300 wristbands this does not allow you (unless VIP speedpass is used) get in any auto line until 1PM at this time we will take your information there cut your band and send you a Thome 500th HR 8X10. Basically, this is what those Thome seekers had intended on doing anyways and I know it sucks you dont get to have YOUR stuff signed but it sure beats a raffle
2. The food was way overpriced (but what else is new)
3. not very many vendors :(
4. the Opening ceremonies seemed short
5. the elevators sucked
6. too many levels

Sorry for the long post but figured this gave those of you who did not go the gist of it...

Overall, I had a great time I'd say it was a pretty positive experience

esbrechtel
01-27-2008, 03:14 PM
One of the information people told me it was his niece's wedding and he could not get in on time...

whitesoxwilkes
01-27-2008, 03:16 PM
One of the information people told me it was his niece's wedding and he could not get in on time...

Ahhh, OK. See folks, no Freddy Garcia-like conspiracy here! :redneck

Chilli Palmer
01-27-2008, 03:26 PM
I got home not too long ago...here is my soxfest recap...

Friday was awesome! I know it sucked for those who did not get the hotel pass but it was great to see all the vendors before it was a mess, it was nice to get some good autos and have the opportunity to get even more (only got Linebrink, Swisher and Ozzie I probably could have got paulie but I already have a few of his) it was also sweet to see that the garage sale took way longer to get picked clean...

Good (in no particular order):
small crowd friday
the new ad campaign posters were awesome (and free)
Multiple "popular" players at the same time to alleviate crowds
wristbands actually worked!
all of the signs and the ushers were seriously helpful
miller's pub had a great BBQ pork (not really part of soxfest but needed to be said
Check-in was handled very well
the Comcast autograph booth (got Hawk, DJ, and Melton)
the Spring Training auto booth (got Hemond and Minoso)
the Photo stage looked cool (I did not take part but is a good idea)

Bad (also in no order):
1. The Thome situation should have been handled like this
-if you want an autograph we will give out 300 wristbands this does not allow you (unless VIP speedpass is used) get in any auto line until 1PM at this time we will take your information there cut your band and send you a Thome 500th HR 8X10. Basically, this is what those Thome seekers had intended on doing anyways and I know it sucks you dont get to have YOUR stuff signed but it sure beats a raffle
2. The food was way overpriced (but what else is new)
3. not very many vendors :(
4. the Opening ceremonies seemed short
5. the elevators sucked
6. too many levels

Sorry for the long post but figured this gave those of you who did not go the gist of it...

Overall, I had a great time I'd say it was a pretty positive experience

The elevator situation was a cluster**** much like the whole set up there. It was also like a furnace. I enjoyed my time it was fun, I however would not spend $75 on a weekend pass.

esbrechtel
01-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Ha, I also forgot to say most random moment of the weekend was having Hangar18 choose me out to hand a random business card for his stupid a** website....He looked like he was selecting a few people at random...I think he was stalking me :redneck

Brian26
01-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Fields is taking 22.

I'm pretty confident he's still #27. He signed my ball w/ 27.

batmanZoSo
01-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm pretty confident he's still #27. He signed my ball w/ 27.

I heard he puts lines through his 2's, so there could be some confusion there.

chisoxjtrain
01-27-2008, 04:20 PM
On whitesox.com it says he is 22.

Brian26
01-27-2008, 04:32 PM
On whitesox.com it says he is 22.

I don't know. Is it possible he forgot that his number was changed? He signed it as 27, with a line through the seven.

batmanZoSo
01-27-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't know. Is it possible he forgot that his number was changed? He signed it as 27, with a line through the seven.

You got pwned.

Brian26
01-27-2008, 04:47 PM

I wanted to get a gamer jersey without spending an arm and a leg. I thought Wassermann was a pretty unique choice. Christine O'Reily got a kick out of it when I briefly spoke with her. My only other garage sale purchase was the Greg Walker bobblehead.

I remember that the booklets printed in 2006 and 2007 specifically mentioned the location of Soxfest in addition to the date. Maybe it was an oversight this year, but it's curious that it didn't say "Palmer House".

I thought overall things were run very smoothly this year. This biggest improvement was the wristband situation. This year they used plastic wristbands instead of the paper ones, so the amount of cheating seemed to be eliminated and it was more fair for everyone.

You still have to get up insanely early to get the good autographs, but the people who really want to do it seem to understand how the system works and don't complain.

Autographs:
On Friday, I got Konerko on a game used bat, Dye on a World Series card, Quentin on a Topps Total card, and Owens, Fields and Danks all on sweet spot balls.

On Saturday, I got AJ on a game used bat, Baines and Salas on '89 Topps cards, Cox on an '81 Topps, and Linebrink on a Topps Total.

Today, after a 4:50am wakeup, I got Jenks sweet spot and Ozzie on a World Series card. I had a wristband for Floyd and Bart Johnson, but I was completely fried so I left. I was so tired that I didn't feel like waiting another hour until Floyd started signing.

Other than the Wassermann game used jersey and Walker bobble, I bought a load of cards from All Chicago Sportscards. The woman working there was very nice and gave me a deal everytime I stopped at her table. She had a bunch of White Sox team sets from 2000 and 2001 for 50 cents a piece which was a steal.

esbrechtel
01-27-2008, 05:01 PM
I loved the Wasserman jersey...sweet choice, one of these years I will pony up the $ to buy one...

Brian26
01-27-2008, 05:09 PM
I forgot to add, the seminar questions by the audience this year were terrible, and a lot of people weren't even going up to the microphone.

I felt bad for the guys up there, so I asked two questions. On Saturday I asked Buehrle what is was going to be like to not have Garland on the team with him for the first time in nine years, since they both came up together in 2000, and from his friendship with him, what his thoughts were on the possibility of Garland signing to come back with the Sox after '08 if the Sox offered him a decent contract.

Buehrle sort of put his head down like it was the question he had been waiting to answer. He said Garland was his best buddy on the team, and they ate lunch together everyday. He said it was going to be really hard, but baseball is a business. He said, absolutely, Garland would have come back to the Sox in a second because his heart was here, he loved Chicago, and he wanted to stay.

In the '83 seminar, I asked Squires and Baines what it was like to play out of position for a handful of games during some of LaRussa's whacky lineups. Squires, as a lefty, played thirdbase a few times, and Baines played CF when Rudy Law was hurt. Baines answered truthfully that he thought CF was easier to play than RF or LF because you can "see the whole field", but he was never scared or intimidated. Unfortunately Squires couldn't answer because Hawk had to monopolize the microphone after that.

I still get a kick out of Hawk (and this is the third year in a row that he's done it) saying that 2004 White Sox would have won the World Series if Mags and Frank didn't go down. I mean, it's one thing to say Hoyt would have won game 5 of the 1983 ALCS, but to insinuate that the Sox could have beat Boston and the Yankees when they didn't have a catcher or second baseman is absurd. Yet, he keeps saying Ozzie could have been two for two.

tstrike2000
01-27-2008, 06:07 PM
I forgot to add, the seminar questions by the audience this year were terrible, and a lot of people weren't even going up to the microphone.

I felt bad for the guys up there, so I asked two questions. On Saturday I asked Buehrle what is was going to be like to not have Garland on the team with him for the first time in nine years, since they both came up together in 2000, and from his friendship with him, what his thoughts were on the possibility of Garland signing to come back with the Sox after '08 if the Sox offered him a decent contract.

Buehrle sort of put his head down like it was the question he had been waiting to answer. He said Garland was his best buddy on the team, and they ate lunch together everyday. He said it was going to be really hard, but baseball is a business. He said, absolutely, Garland would have come back to the Sox in a second because his heart was here, he loved Chicago, and he wanted to stay.

I definitely have to agree with you about the questions in the '08 White Sox seminar especially not being good. I was sitting with Chisoxgirl wondering when a really good question was gonna come up. There were no real questions about the acquisitions or the true questions about the pitching, the outfield, and Crede, just to name a few.

Your question about Buehrle was a good one though as he faked cried to be funny, but was honest about the fact that he's gonna miss him but that happens in baseball and we move on.

Scottiehaswheels
01-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Our disappointment was in the training center... The instructors were as nice as always but they made it into a friggin carnival act this year instead of how it was in last years... We went up almost specifically for the training for our 5 year old and lo and behold it was just a couple hitting tee's and a pitching rubber... Needless to say I am going to ask how that area will be set up next year before I buy my Soxfest tickets again... If it is the same as this year, forget it...

comiskey2000
01-27-2008, 07:18 PM
Should there be a new thread for SoxFest recaps as they start coming in?

Domeshot17
01-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Not on a blackberry so I can give more of a recap.

Night and Day difference this year. The idea to line up people in the empire room this year and then move them up and not just wrap them up and down stairs was great. Wristbands seemed to work much better this year.

Heres my recap of the days

Friday was awesome if you stayed in the hotel. I know it sucks for people who don't, but it was nice to be half full. We got Dye and Quentin Then Jenks then Ozzie and Cox. We could have got PK too, but passed on him thinking lines would be nuts. Infact, we did not even intend on getting Jenks, but they made us go through his line so his wristbands all got passed out before we could start an Ozzie line. Had a lot of fun.

Saturday was cool even early. We lined up around 345-4 am, and were probably in the first 40 or so. Well the night security guy had everything backwards. When they moved us in the right direction I expected chaos. It went very smoothly. Went for Swisher and ended up getting Dye again beforehand. Kate's parents got AJ in the morning, and jumped in the Burls line to get our stuff signed (Kate bought the artist proof Buehrle painting and wanted it signed, I had a 16x20 from his no hitter). Inturn we got Walker and Squires for her dad. Her dad has this thing about inscriptions, and Squires was very cool about signing it gold glove. We also spent some time in the vendors.

Sunday we were really happy with who we had the other 2 days so we figured it was Thome or bust. Got talked into lining up at 2 am, and I wasn't trying to disappoint Kate so whatever. Like I said before, I understand things happen, but they could have posted signs up last night or this morning early. It was very frusterating. We went down with only Thome stuff figuring we were in his line all day. Well then 2 minutes before we get in they tell us he won't be there, leaving us scrambling. We had bought 2 more buehrle no hitter pics the day before and they were in our hotel room, so we just went there. After Burls we got our Fields/Melton wristbands, checked out, then stopped by Gavin Floyd to finish up.

It wasn't a bad sunday by any means, by this Thome thing was handled poorly. Esbrechtel had the same idea i said this morning with the wristbands. The first 300 willing to give up the rest of the day get them. Whatever though, I won't let it piss me off much, I will just have to pony up for a Steiner show to get the inscription.

I hate how Jenks can't sign 41, Burls can't sign no hitter etc. It is the one thing I love about Jermaine Dye. He signs WS MVP anytime you ask. My only other real complaint was good prices. If you want to charge me 5 bucks for a can of pop, make it a bottle.

Sockinchisox
01-27-2008, 07:47 PM
The only real gripe I had was today, the Swisher line was so outrageous, it wrapped all the way around the 6th floor. I'm assuming those who wanted to get Thome moved onto Swisher. But it took them until almost an hour before Swisher was going to sign to hand out wristbands and there were nearly 400 people waiting in line. Not to mention they almost handed out wristbands to people that got in like 15 minutes before they handed out wristbands because the line wrapped around, it covered the start of the line.

whitesoxwilkes
01-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Our disappointment was in the training center... The instructors were as nice as always but they made it into a friggin carnival act this year instead of how it was in last years... We went up almost specifically for the training for our 5 year old and lo and behold it was just a couple hitting tee's and a pitching rubber... Needless to say I am going to ask how that area will be set up next year before I buy my Soxfest tickets again... If it is the same as this year, forget it...

I wouldn't go to a fan convention with the expectation of making my kid into a better baseball player.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-27-2008, 08:21 PM

No. I asked him right before he put his number if he had changed his number, and he told me he wasn't sure what his current number was. I told him 22, but I had him put 27 just in case. He then joked that if it was 22 just come back and he'll sign it the right way.

ChiSoxGirl
01-27-2008, 08:31 PM
As a hotel stayer the hotel guests only is amazingly awesome. Ended up at Dye/Quentin, coulda had Konerko but thought there was more people here and went for OZzie, had to go get Jenks before they would let us have Ozzie, got Jenks, and will have Ozzie in about an hour. Good overall crowd. I wonder how nuts this will be tomorrow.

Quentin was really cool. He signed as number 20, saying he just got it.

I second this completely! Friday reminded me of SoxFests of old, circa late '90s/early '00s. I got more autographs (6) on Friday than I did during SoxFest '06 and '07 combined!

I went right to the Seminar Room to stake out front row seats for my friends & I, then went to get the Dye/Quentin wristband. I came back in time to hang out for a while before the awesome Opening Ceremony started. BTW, can we all agree that the sound of Gene Honda on a late January day is almost therapeutic? Anyway, I went for my Quentin & Dye autographs, and when I was there, one of my friends called and said there was still room in the Swisher/Linebrink line, so tstrike2000 & I bee-lined over there. After that, the three of us went for Guillen/Cox wristbands and got those autographs. In comparison, I got two autographs throughout the entire day yesterday!

Closing it off to the public on Friday was definitely a perk for the hotel guests and is one of the few positives that have come from SoxFest in the last couple years.

salty99
01-27-2008, 10:39 PM
I also agree Friday was really nice, Sat. was a zoo and Sunday after about 10 was pretty nice as well.

Also a bunch of the players and coaches hung out in the lobby bar Sat. night like Swisher, Linebrink, Owens, Danks, Floyd, Jeff Cox, etc.

jenn2080
01-28-2008, 07:35 AM

You may be the only person to go to Soxfest for the activities for the children. That is like going to Disney wondering where the bars are.

And for those complaining about the elevators, why didn't you take the stairs? We did it last year and it was great.

ChiSoxGirl
01-28-2008, 08:19 AM
I also agree Friday was really nice, Sat. was a zoo and Sunday after about 10 was pretty nice as well.

Also a bunch of the players and coaches hung out in the lobby bar Sat. night like Swisher, Linebrink, Owens, Danks, Floyd, Jeff Cox, etc.

Where were you guys?! I came back from Miller's around midnight and saw Swisher, Owens, Linebrink, and Danks, but there was no sign of either you or Brian.

As much as I wanted a picture with Swisher, I was just too tired to muster up the energy to ask him for one after just 2 1/2 hours of sleep the night before. Besides, he was hanging out with his new friends and I didn't want to bother him.

Steelrod
01-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Where were you guys?! I came back from Miller's around midnight and saw Swisher, Owens, Linebrink, and Danks, but there was no sign of either you or Brian.

As much as I wanted a picture with Swisher, I was just too tired to muster up the energy to ask him for one after just 2 1/2 hours of sleep the night before. Besides, he was hanging out with his new friends and I didn't want to bother him.
A classy decision on your part. We tend to forget these guys are people.

ChiSox Fan 68
01-28-2008, 08:57 AM
We had a GREAT time at SoxFest. Did the hotel package and it was awesome Friday night. We got through the autograph line for Bobby Jenks in about 10 minutes. Got some good stuff in the Garage Sale and there was plenty of room in the vendor area to roam around.

I mainly go for the seminars and went to all of them Saturday (sat in the room from 10:30 til about 4:15). Overall I thought they were great. The '83 Sox segment was a lot of fun. Brooks Boyer in the marketing seminar was hilarious as always. I thought the fans were pretty positive for the most part with Kenny and Ozzie in their Q&A. I've been to SoxFest in past years where they get beaten up pretty bad. My favorite session was with the outfielders. Swisher and Owens were really funny. When Owens was talking about his rookie initiation, I was laughing so hard that I had tears in my eyes. I also liked how Swisher said how nice the fans are in Chicago because most of the people asking questions first welcomed Swisher and Quentin to Chicago.

I liked staying at the Palmer House - never did that at the Hyatt. We made a nice weekend out of it and got to have some yummy meals at Millers Pub and Italian Village. We'll definitely do it again next year.

salty99
01-28-2008, 09:01 AM

Dead to the world...asleep

Pods4455
01-28-2008, 12:51 PM

You're sure about that? I know hes originally from bartonville- and he just bought realestate around here some time ago to build a new house- its on like... some 100 acres of land so he can go hunting- he also hunts down here on a regular (we're talking weekly) basis durring the offseason.

Not to mention he was just @ Crusens in Peoria like- a week or so ago lol. My friends saw him and texted me @ like 1AM about it. Cant say I cared much @ 1AM though.

Grzegorz
01-28-2008, 01:04 PM
I was suprised at two things:

* The extent of Carlos Quentin's injury
* Kenny Williams' continued poor business sense when it comes to Joe Crede

salty99
01-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I was suprised at two things:

* The extent of Carlos Quentin's injury
* Kenny Williams' continued poor business sense when it comes to Joe Crede

Explain more.

Grzegorz
01-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Quentin's interview was good. He seems to be a very nice fellow and is dedicated to returning as soon as possible. I get the impression for Quentin himself that the labrum injury was severe and that his rotator cup was completely torn.

Those seem to be very serious injuries. I am sure he'll come back but I was surprised.

As for Kenny Williams, please stop weakening your bargaining position by repeatedly letting those in the buyer's market know that you'll be dealing Crede.

skobabe8
01-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Quentin's interview was good. He seems to be a very nice fellow and is dedicated to returning as soon as possible. I get the impression for Quentin himself that the labrum injury was severe and that his rotator cup was completely torn.

Those seem to be very serious injuries. I am sure he'll come back but I was surprised.

As for Kenny Williams, please stop weakening your bargaining position by repeatedly letting those in the buyer's market know that you'll be dealing Crede.

I dont recall him saying he will deal Crede. He said Crede and Fields wont be on the same team.

ChiSox Fan 68
01-28-2008, 01:34 PM
You're sure about that? I know hes originally from bartonville- and he just bought realestate around here some time ago to build a new house- its on like... some 100 acres of land so he can go hunting- he also hunts down here on a regular (we're talking weekly) basis durring the offseason.

Not to mention he was just @ Crusens in Peoria like- a week or so ago lol. My friends saw him and texted me @ like 1AM about it. Cant say I cared much @ 1AM though.

The word around SoxFest was that he was out of town at a relative's wedding and couldn't get back to Chicago in time for the signing.

chisoxmike
01-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Regarding Thome:

Comcast SportsNet said last night that Thome had a family wedding to go to in Peoria Saturday night and the Sox did not want to rush him back Sunday morning.

Take that for what its worth...

Scottiehaswheels
01-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't go to a fan convention with the expectation of making my kid into a better baseball player.No thats not what we go for really, but its nice to have something for little ones to do to burn off some energy. Last year they had 4-5 different stations set up to teach kids some fundamentals; pitching, base running, fielding, etc. We have to drive 200 some miles to get there, and its something that kept him entertained the whole weekend after a long car ride. Last year they also had seating available for parents to be able to watch everything. This year however they had only the 2 batting tee's and a pitching rubber and no place for parents to sit and watch.

Trust me, I wish they would bring the instruction camps on down our way at some point during the summer but we're 120 some odd miles from the nearest one so it's not very conducive to driving back and forth for a week.

All I'm saying is that if next year's set up is like this past year's we won't go. It didn't seem to me anyways, to be very young family friendly this year as in past years. Everything else I think was done much better than last years, and seemed to be smoother than some previous ones at the Hyatt honestly. Just the training thing was/is a big thing for us when you have a little guy that was looking forward to all that stuff and he's extremely disappointed just as much as we were.

Iwritecode
01-28-2008, 04:16 PM
I dont recall him saying he will deal Crede. He said Crede and Fields wont be on the same team.

Which means that either one or both of them will be cut, sent to AAA or traded.

skobabe8
01-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Regarding Thome:

Comcast SportsNet said last night that Thome had a family wedding to go to in Peoria Saturday night and the Sox did not want to rush him back Sunday morning.

Take that for what its worth...

Thats exactly what Brooks Boyer told me Sunday morning. In fact, Thome was still going to come and the team had to tell him NO. Thome and Konerko had some kind of commitment Sunday evening as well and going from the wedding to soxfest to this other commitment was just too much. Brooks asked Jim to sign 300 autos to pass out to fans and Jim said make it 400.

skobabe8
01-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Which means that either one or both of them will be cut, sent to AAA or traded.

Right. I'm sure the plan is to trade Crede, but KW doesnt have to by any means.

whitesoxwilkes
01-28-2008, 05:41 PM

Just going by what I'm told by other Hinsdaleians.

:shrug

Brian26
01-28-2008, 07:50 PM

Just going by what I'm told by other Hinsdaleians.

:shrug

Thome owns a home in Hinsdale, this is fact.

However, it wouldn't surprise me if he owns some land near Peoria and plans on building there. A man of Thome's wealth is allowed to own more than one home. :redneck