PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was depressing...

doublem23
04-19-2002, 11:30 PM
Sigh...

Tomorrow's another day. Let's go, Jon.

Viva Magglio
04-19-2002, 11:42 PM
After our sweep of the Indians, how could we look so lethargic against perhaps the worst team in the major leagues? It's one thing to lose the ballgame. The loss was our sixth, and if we're like every other major league team, we have at least 54 more coming.

As disappointing as losing ballgames is, it's one thing for that to happen. Yet when we're losing ballgames because of no heart, which I think was the case tonight, I have a problem. We kicked Cleveland's ass this week. Why didn't we carry that kick ass mentality into tonight's game?

While I think Danny Wright pitched lousy for the second time in a row, raising questions about whether he should be in the rotation, I really don't blame the players for this heartless play. When a team takes the field without heart, especially after a great sweep of our AL Central arch rival, it is a failure of the coaching staff to spur on the team to continue the success that brought about the sweep.

If we don't have any heart at Jacobs Field next week, we're in trouble.

voodoochile
04-20-2002, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
After our sweep of the Indians, how could we look so lethargic against perhaps the worst team in the major leagues? It's one thing to lose the ballgame. The loss was our sixth, and if we're like every other major league team, we have at least 54 more coming.

Actually why would you be so surprised? Maybe the fact that we were playing the worst team in MLB after sweeping our main rival and division leader had something to do with the lethargy. Given that we are playing the Tribe again m-Th next week it is not that surprising they were looking past this series. Wright had an off night and the offense had a let down expecting the kitties to roll over and play dead. Didn't happen and we got beat. Lack of focus is something that will hit any team throughout the year and tonight was just one of those nights. Not that surprising given the circumstances...

If we don't have any heart at Jacobs Field next week, we're in trouble. [/B]

No worries there, Sox always get up for the Tribe... Look at the bright side. Sox lost no ground to first place and are tied in the loss column with the Twins... That is all that matters...

baggio202
04-20-2002, 02:04 AM
knucleball opitchers do that to ya when they are on..and sparks was....last time konerko faced sparks he went into an 0 -19(?) funk...he just started hitting again and here come sparks...kets hope history doesnt repeat itself....id chalk this one up to steve sparks throwing that knuckler into a 30 mph wind and lets get um tomorrow

GASHWOUND
04-20-2002, 11:09 AM

As disappointing as losing ballgames is, it's one thing for that to happen. Yet when we're losing ballgames because of no heart, which I think was the case tonight, I have a problem. We kicked Cleveland's ass this week. Why didn't we carry that kick ass mentality into tonight's game?

While I think Danny Wright pitched lousy for the second time in a row, raising questions about whether he should be in the rotation, I really don't blame the players for this heartless play. When a team takes the field without heart, especially after a great sweep of our AL Central arch rival, it is a failure of the coaching staff to spur on the team to continue the success that brought about the sweep.

I didn't see tha game, but I just thought since we were playing the Tigers it was automatic. But then I thought about it and am not really surprised. There's always the letdown, and the dreary weather lastnight didn't help much. And I never feel comfortable when Wright takes the mound, and he's are #3 starter?? He's more of a #5 starter if that. We may need to go out and get another proven guy. Hmmm.. hey, how abou Sparks? At least if he's on our team he can't shut us down again. Sheesh

HawkDJ
04-20-2002, 12:02 PM
Sparks hasn't just been pitching good against us. Give him his credit, he pitched great just like he has all year long so far. He is the only Tiger in the rotation that is doing good. He is now 1-1 with a 2.30 ERA. The Sox are a fastball hitting team and after coming from Colon to Sparks, that isn't the easiest thing to do.

After facing the Indians and coming back to play the Tigers, we should've known the intensity wouldn't be there. Now after a loss, I think the intensity will be back

Also this isn't the Tigers we faced before offfensively, they've raised their team batting average signficantly in a couple games and are now 6th in the AL in team batting average, and better than Cleveland.

Bmr31
04-20-2002, 02:26 PM

umm the only "difference" is we lost and did not win. It had nothing to do with effort or preperation.

yyz
04-20-2002, 03:48 PM
Well, I can say now with the benefit of hindsight (on Saturday afternoon), that we got beat by a trick pitch pitcher who happened to have his trick pitch working. Nothing but a bump in the road. The offense is back on.

Dadawg_77
04-20-2002, 07:19 PM
The Sox have always had trouble with Sparks. The last time we faced him was more of a fluke then anything. Look at what the bats did today, our team kills fastball pitchers, junk ball pitchers give our hitters fits.