PDA

View Full Version : The biggest lie Roger Clemens has told

Fenway
01-08-2008, 11:29 PM
I have been waiting for somebody to write about Roger's tirade at the end of his dog and pony show on Monday.

I remember Roger in 2003 saying over and over that he had to retire now because he wanted his mother to be in Cooperstown the day he was inducted. For him to say he doesn't care? That is the biggest whopper he has said all week.

Dan Shaughnessey hits it out of the park in this column

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/01/08/snubbed_rice_wouldnt_downplay_hall/?page=full

"I got another [expletive] question the other day about the Hall of Fame," Clemens said, nostrils flaring, as he prepared to bolt. "You think I played my career because I'm worried about the damn Hall of Fame? I could give a rat's ass about that also. If you have a vote . . . you keep your vote. I don't need the Hall of Fame to justify that I put my butt on the line and I worked my tail off. And I defy anybody to say I did it by cheating or taking any shortcuts."

And then - while his lie lingered in the air like a John Wasdin hanging curveball - Clemens was gone. Just like Otter, Boone, and other Delta members at the end of the student court scene in "Animal House"

Oblong
01-08-2008, 11:31 PM
I don't need the Hall of Fame to justify that I put my butt on the line and I worked my tail off.

he sure seems obsessed with his ass.

TommyJohn
01-08-2008, 11:33 PM
[/b]

Well, it's still sore from all the needles he stuck into it.

voodoochile
01-08-2008, 11:35 PM
[/b]

If you'd taken as many needles in yours to further your career as he has in his you would too...

Grzegorz
01-09-2008, 04:52 AM
The National Pastime was once a pure delight, the light at the end of winter, and spring training offered unbounded optimism surrounding your team's chances.

The true crime is what these egomaniacs did to change those very feelings that fans have felt for decades. It's a terrible shame that baseball has to be discussed in this light.

rocky biddle
01-09-2008, 07:07 AM
If Clemens doesn't care about clearing his name for the HoF, and doesn't care what people think about him, and can't wait to get into the private sector so people will stop bothering him about this; why the hell does he keep talking about it in public?

The guy's an egomaniac. He can't believe that after getting his ass kissed (and other things done to it) for over 20 years, people are now daring to question his legendary status. He's a jerk-off of the highest degree and is only digging himself deeper and deeper with this web of lies and contrived spin.

Look, I don't know if Clemens took steroids. The circumstantial evidence tells me that he did. And while McNamee seems to have major character flaws, I think lying about Clemens would hurt more than help him. So who knows?

But what I do know, after all of Clemens' look-at-me comebacks and attention whoring, it would kill him to not be in Cooperstown where he can be marveled at for eternity. He'd rather burn the place down then not be inducted.

jackbrohamer
01-09-2008, 10:48 AM
He also had this gem: "And I defy anybody to say I did it by cheating or taking any shortcuts." Yah. The Mitchell Report says that you did it by cheating and taking shortcuts, Rog

VivaOzzie
01-09-2008, 04:57 PM
[/b]

Our rec league soccer team is named "Clemens' Buttcheek." :redneck

getonbckthr
01-09-2008, 05:12 PM
He also had this gem: "And I defy anybody to say I did it by cheating or taking any shortcuts." Yah. The Mitchell Report says that you did it by cheating and taking shortcuts, Rog
And the Mitchell Report is 1 guys point of view based a couple trainers, a couple ball players and a bunch of ballplayers who, at the request of the leader of their union, denied to talk. Is there a steroid problem in baseball? Yes. Are the guys named in the report part of the problem? Possibly. Is the The Mitchell Report the holy bible and is it filled with absolute 100% truths? I don't know.

jackbrohamer
01-09-2008, 05:28 PM
And the Mitchell Report is 1 guys point of view based a couple trainers, a couple ball players and a bunch of ballplayers who, at the request of the leader of their union, denied to talk. Is there a steroid problem in baseball? Yes. Are the guys named in the report part of the problem? Possibly. Is the The Mitchell Report the holy bible and is it filled with absolute 100% truths? I don't know.

The report cites a direct eyewitness account that Clemens took steroids. Maybe Clemens will prove that the guy is a liar, but it's more evidence than the report contained about McGwire, who nevertheless has not been elected to the HOF due to suspicion that he took steroids.

JNS
01-09-2008, 05:30 PM
If you'd taken as many needles in yours to further your career as he has in his you would too...

The part that cracks me up is the idea that you take lidocaine - a LOCAL anesthetic - in the butt (unless it's your butt that is hurt).

I get that stuff when I'm at the dentist all the time - IN MY GUMS, to freeze my GUMS.

I guess dodgy Roger likes freezing his ass off.

pierzynski07
01-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Well his mother did pass away two years ago.

SI1020
01-14-2008, 12:33 PM
The report cites a direct eyewitness account that Clemens took steroids. Maybe Clemens will prove that the guy is a liar, but it's more evidence than the report contained about McGwire, who nevertheless has not been elected to the HOF due to suspicion that he took steroids. I would like to think that McGwire is not in because steroids or not, his career didn't warrant it.

DSpivack
01-14-2008, 01:16 PM
I would like to think that McGwire is not in because steroids or not, his career didn't warrant it.

His career didn't warrant it? He hit 583 home runs.

sox1970
01-14-2008, 01:27 PM

1626 career hits.

McGwire's career was all but dead by 1995. Then he turned to every substance he could get his hands on, and put up 344 homers in seven years.

He doesn't deserve to be in the Hall on every level.

At least Bonds and Clemens were great players before they juiced.

jabrch
01-14-2008, 01:36 PM

So how he got there isn't at all relevant?

jshanahanjr
01-14-2008, 04:12 PM
49 bombs as a rookie playing in Oaktown is pretty good. Imagine how many he would have hit in a neutral to good hitter's park. Say what you want, but Big Mac could bomb em since he was in little league.