PDA

View Full Version : Gossage elected to Cooperstown!!!!

Fenway
01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Rich Gossage makes it :smile:

Rice fell 14 votes short :whiner:

Oblong
01-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Fantastic news. Gossage really deserved it. That leaves Blyleven in my opinion as the only glaring oversights left out.

Rice will get in next year. Raines only got about 25% of the vote. That was a shock. I thought he'd get over 50. But it's a good start. It'll go up.

Lip Man 1
01-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Congrats to Goose on his great honor.

He had some very fine seasons with the White Sox and this honor is long overdue.

After things settle down a bit, I'll call him next week to personally offer the congratulations of Sox fans everywhere.

This afternoon and tonight, I'll be curious to see if either Comcast or WGN has footage of Goose in his red pinstriped days on the South Side. (Although he did spend one year in baggy pants as I called them!)

I have some footage of him, not a lot, but something.

Lip

Lip Man 1
01-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Oblong:

Correction...that leaves Blyleven, Kaat, John and Pierce as glaring omissions.

Lip

Navarro's Talent
01-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Congrats to Gossage! Glad to see him finally get in.

sox1970
01-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Blyleven, Morris, Dawson, and Rice should be in too.

DumpJerry
01-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Congrats to Goose. Anyone would have given up that Slam to Robin on 7-31-91, glad they did not hold it against him.

Too bad McGwire failed to get in. A real crying shame. But then again, the HOF is about the past and, as we all know, McGwire is a forward-looking kind of guy.

Fenway
01-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Too bad McGwire failed to get in. A real crying shame. But then again, the HOF is about the past and, as we all know, McGwire is a forward-looking kind of guy.

Ya he just missed :tongue:

Mark McGwire, a casualty of the Steroids Era in some writers' minds, received just 128 votes _ the exact total he had last year. His percentage increased slightly to 23.6 percent, up from 23.5 percent last year when he was on the ballot for the first time.

Fenway
01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
I love how the some of the writers give garbage votes

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers/voting_year.jsp?year=2008

Oblong
01-08-2008, 02:38 PM
I'd love it everybody gave a garbage vote to someone like Todd Stottlemyre, thinking "Nobody else will do it"
The first unanimous selection.

Would they try to do something to stop that?

Dan Mega
01-08-2008, 02:42 PM
The fact that a writer would change their HOF vote from one year to the next is ridiculous.

Its also ridiculous that Raines didn't get voted in.

Fenway
01-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Gossage broke my heart into a million pieces in 1978

http://pubpages.unh.edu/~wff/images/yaz1.jpg

Not many remember that the Red Sox still had a chance in the bottom of the ninth. But Goose Gossage got Carl Yastrzemski to pop out with 2 on and 2 out, after his teammates propelled the Sox within one run in the 8th. Not many remember that the victory in that game was earned by Ron Guidry, moving his record to 25-3.

Still he needed some luck......Lou Piniella STILL hasn't seen the ball that Remy hit that bounced into his glove :whiner:

jackbrohamer
01-08-2008, 02:43 PM

Same number of votes as last year, so much for the notion that the voters would punish him for 1 year and then elect him.

Glad that he won't be associated with Gossage's richly deserved honor.

tstrike2000
01-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Awesome for Gossage. Truly one of the great relievers.

skobabe8
01-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Whose hat will Gossage wear?

DumpJerry
01-08-2008, 03:21 PM
News flash! Right now (2:19 p.m., Tueday, January 8, 2008) the headline on the Tribune's website reads "Former Sox pitcher Gossage elected to Hall of Fame." No mention of the fact that he also played for the Cubs.

I'm sure by the time you read this, the Old Guard at the Tribune will change that headline to "Gossage elected to Hall of Fame because of the skills he picked up at the Cubs. The White Sox really messed him up at the start of his career."

Uncle_Patrick
01-08-2008, 03:33 PM

Shawon Dunston was robbed.

Chez
01-08-2008, 03:53 PM

I predict the Yankees. Goose was the most intimidating reliever I can ever remember seeing pitch. Back in '72 when the Sox had both Goose and Terry Forster -- that was some serious heat coming out of the pen.

Steelrod
01-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Glad Baines is still eligible!

Hitmenof77
01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I predict the Yankees. Goose was the most intimidating reliever I can ever remember seeing pitch. Back in '72 when the Sox had both Goose and Terry Forster -- that was some serious heat coming out of the pen.

Didn't Letterman call Forster something like a fat tub of goo, when Forster was with the Braves and his waistline was much bigger?

Lip Man 1
01-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Goose will go in as a Yankee.

I've spoken with some of those he played with and for on the Sox this afternoon and sent the story to George. He'll have it up as soon as he is able I'm sure.

And yes Forster became the first version (Oprah the next) to be the butt (no pun intended) of Letterman. Terry took it well even appearing as a guest on his show.

Lip

Fenway
01-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Goose will go in as a Yankee.

YES put this together last season....interviews and clips.

4morH_VHpyo

Last clip is the nasty pitch that ended the 78 playoff game :whiner:

MeteorsSox4367
01-08-2008, 04:31 PM

Chuck Knoblauch? Chuck Finley? Travis Fryman? Who the hell voted for these guys?

Good players? Yep. Hall-of-Famers? Nope.

D. TODD
01-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Fantastic news. Gossage really deserved it. That leaves Blyleven in my opinion as the only glaring oversights left out.

Rice will get in next year. Raines only got about 25% of the vote. That was a shock. I thought he'd get over 50. But it's a good start. It'll go up. I agree with you about Blyleven. Congrats to Goose!

BainesHOF
01-08-2008, 04:38 PM

My guess is it'll be a Yankees hat since that's who he played for in his glory days.

On a side note, I have a game-used red White Sox cap of his in my collection. I always thought he'd eventually be a Hall of Famer.

TommyJohn
01-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Congrats to the Goose, great to see him get in. He was a rookie during
that great year of 1972 A.D. (Allen Domini.) and it is fun to see one of
guys from the red pinstripe era get in.

Side note for our useless trivia thread: Goose Gossage is the fourth Hall of
Famer to have played for both the White Sox and Cubs. The others are
Clark Griffith, Johnny Evers and Hoyt Wilhelm.

thomas35forever
01-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Congrats Goose.:)

jackbrohamer
01-08-2008, 04:59 PM
News flash! Right now (2:19 p.m., Tueday, January 8, 2008) the headline on the Tribune's website reads "Former Sox pitcher Gossage elected to Hall of Fame." No mention of the fact that he also played for the Cubs.

I'm sure by the time you read this, the Old Guard at the Tribune will change that headline to "Gossage elected to Hall of Fame because of the skills he picked up at the Cubs. The White Sox really messed him up at the start of his career."

Now (about 4:00 pm) the article from the "Tribune wires" is referring to him a "Yankee great" who "made it to the big leagues with the White Sox and later spent a season with the Cubs." Basically equating his 5 years with the Sox to his miserable season on the north side near the end of his careeer.

stl_sox_fan
01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Glad Baines is still eligible!

I was wondering about that. I know first timers need 5% to stay eligible. I wasn't sure what returnees needed.

Rod Beck gets two votes. We had an announcer here yesterday railing on writers doing the "feel good" votes that could affect other viable candidates.

TommyJohn
01-08-2008, 05:20 PM
YES put this together last season....interviews and clips.

4morH_VHpyo

Last clip is the nasty pitch that ended the 78 playoff game :whiner:

The 1978 Yankees are the all-time "Ex-White Sox Factor" Champs. That is
a law that states that any team with three or more ex-White Sox on them
at anytime during the season will win it all in dramatic fashion, via a huge
comeback, huge upset, or both. I call it "The Hitless Wonder" Factor after
the boys of 1906 and their incredible title run. Other teams who have
benefited from having three or more ex-Sox are the 1968 Tigers, 1969 Mets,
1985 Royals, 1997 Marlins and 2004 Red Sox.

The 1978 Yankees, of course, came back from being 14.5 games behind
Boston to win that playoff game. Two main contributors were Bucky Dent,
with the home run that launched a thousand literary careers, and Goose
Gossage, who closed out the Red Sox with that "nasty" pitch to Carl
Overratedstremski.

Medford Bobby
01-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Still remember being upset when the Sox traded Gossage and Forster to Pittsburgh, not knowing what to expect out of Richie Zisk............:?:
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:NSKxUTXgqpMaAM:http://njsportspromotions.com/Gossagerookienmt.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://njsportspromotions.com/Gossagerookienmt.jpg&imgrefurl=http://njsportspromotions.com/baseballrookies.htm&h=1106&w=816&sz=204&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=NSKxUTXgqpMaAM:&tbnh=150&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3D1973%2BTopps%2BRich%2BGossage%26svnum %3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN)

Oblong
01-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Obviously my favorite Goose moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6tNrA_T6U)

:redneck

Hitmen77
01-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Since I'm too young to remember him playing on the Sox, my favorite Gossage "memory" is the magical ending to that game on July 31, 1991 where Robin Ventura hit a walk-off grand slam off of Goose.

I wish a clip of that slam was available on YouTube or a similar site.

the1tab
01-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Dawson was Vlad Guerrero w/out ESPN. He deserves the Hall.

Gossage deserves the Hall on his facial hair alone, but his numbers are more than enough to warrant a speech this summer. He was a quality player for what seemed like forever. And don't discount that he pitched on both sides of town and nobody ever held the other against him.

Rice is overrated. Blyleven got robbed. McGwire deserves nothing. He was one dimensional, and is simply the first 500 homer guy to not make the Hall. We'll call him a trailblazer, a trend setter, a pilgrim... working on behalf of jacked up roid users everywhere to stay out of the hallowed halls of Cooperstown.

Oblong
01-08-2008, 11:00 PM
To borrow a phrase from a friend, look at Gossage's numbers in the conttext that he pitched before relievers were "LaRussafied". That wasn't when they handed out saves like skittles. A closer would pitch 2 innings if needed, then rest the next night even though it was a "save situation". Gossage averaged 1.7 IP per game, excluding his year as a starter. Mariano Rivera gets cited as a multiple inning guy but he's under 1 1/3 IP per game.

Brian26
01-08-2008, 11:06 PM
Obviously my favorite Goose moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt6tNrA_T6U)

:redneck

My favorite Gossage moment was Robin Ventura's grand slam off of him 7/31/91 :D:

Nonetheles, congrats to the Goose on the HOF.

Oblong
01-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Was that when there was debate on whether it really was a grand slam or just a single? I don't know why I'm thinking that but suddenly when I read Ventura and Grand Slam I'm having faint memories of something.

Brian26
01-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Was that when there was debate on whether it really was a grand slam or just a single? I don't know why I'm thinking that but suddenly when I read Ventura and Grand Slam I'm having faint memories of something.

No, you're thinking of Ventura's homer with the Mets in the '99 NLCS vs. Braves. It should have been a grandslam, but it was ruled a single. I'm talking about a homer he had with the Sox in the first year at New Comiskey.

Hitmen77
01-08-2008, 11:37 PM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199107310.shtml

Bottom of the 9th, White Sox Batting, Behind 6-8, Kenny Rogers facing 6-7-8 Craig Grebeck pinch hits for Lance Johnson batting 6th
C Grebeck Walk
R Karkovice Single (Line Drive to Short LF-CF); Grebeck to 2B
J Cora Bunt Groundout: P-3B/Forceout at 3B; Karkovice to 2B; Cora to 1B
Rich Gossage replaces Kenny Rogers pitching; Carlton Fisk pinch hits for Ozzie Guillen batting 9th
C Fisk Popfly: 2B (2B-1B)
T Raines Walk; Karkovice to 3B; Cora to 2B
R Ventura Home Run (Fly Ball to Deep CF-RF); Karkovice Scores; Cora Scores; Raines Scores; Ventura Scores
4 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB. Rangers 8, White Sox 10.
:cool:

It was Ventura's 12th HR of that month. I wish there was a video clip of it available. If I'm not mistaken, this is the HR where Frank Thomas hoisted Ventura triumphantly on his shoulder.

DumpJerry
01-08-2008, 11:49 PM
It was Ventura's 12th HR of that month. I wish there was a video clip of it available. If I'm not mistaken, this is the HR where Frank Thomas hoisted Ventura triumphantly on his shoulder.
You're correct. I was there. It was my number one White Sox moment until Lidge hung a fastball to Podsednik.

I loved how in his comments/reaction today, Gossage said that the White Sox were "my first team and that's very special.":smile:

Brian26
01-09-2008, 12:13 AM

You're correct. I was there. It was my number one White Sox moment until Lidge hung a fastball to Podsednik.

I still have the last inning of the SportsChannel telecast somewhere on tape. That night also marked the first time that Hawk ever called Frank the "Big Hurt." Bill Murray was in the crowd and was shown just before Ventura took the curtain call.

Fenway
01-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Memo to Ron Santo

This is how to accept not being elected

from Jim Rice

“Today’s results are obviously a disappointment. I believe my accomplishments speak for themselves, and a majority of the voters seem to agree. It is tough to come this close, but I remain hopeful for the 2009 results. I appreciate all the kind words from so many players, including Rich Gossage, and I congratulate Goose on his well-deserved election today."

Hitmenof77
01-09-2008, 02:32 AM
I love this meltdown from Goose. But the context of this meltdown was Gossage trying to protect his teammate, Griffey Sr.

Be warned tons and tons of profanity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75KU9reHAs

DumpJerry
01-09-2008, 08:39 AM
That night also marked the first time that Hawk ever called Frank the "Big Hurt."
Are you sure? IIRC, I remember Frank being called Big Hurt while the Sox were at Old Comiskey. The media dubbed him Big Hurt shortly after he was called up his rookie year. I remember Marc Giangreco would call him "Hurtis Maximus" on the news his rookie year.

Of course, at my advanced age, my memories could be foggy.

veeter
01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
I love this meltdown from Goose. But the context of this meltdown was Gossage trying to protect his teammate, Griffey Sr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75KU9reHAsMan, I lovethat guy.

SOXPHILE
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM

I loved how in his comments/reaction today, Gossage said that the White Sox were "my first team and that's very special.":smile:

I saw that last night too ! Very cool.

Fenway
01-09-2008, 11:04 AM
In the NY Daily News today Gossage credits the 3 men most responsible for him going to Cooperstown....

Gossage, 56, said that in his formative years with the White Sox, '72-'76, the three most influential people in his career were Chuck Tanner, pitching coach Johnny Sain and, of all people, free-spirited and mercurial slugger Dick Allen.

"Dick Allen took me under his wing and taught me how to pitch from a great hitter's standpoint," Gossage related. "Chuck had huge influence in that he taught me the game from A to Z and Johnny Sain taught me a changeup and later a ‘slurve' because I didn't really have any breaking pitches. After that, my career really began to spiral."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/09/2008-01-09_goose_gossage_gets_hall_of_fame_call_aft.html?p rint=1&page=all

SOXPHILE
01-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Memo to Ron Santo

This is how to accept not being elected

from Jim Rice

“Today’s results are obviously a disappointment. I believe my accomplishments speak for themselves, and a majority of the voters seem to agree. It is tough to come this close, but I remain hopeful for the 2009 results. I appreciate all the kind words from so many players, including Rich Gossage, and I congratulate Goose on his well-deserved election today."

http://www.boysofspring.com/journal/Santo.JPG
"OH BOOO HOOOO frickin' HOO...blubber blubberdy blubber sniff sniff....I didn't get into the Hall of Fame again..Waaaaaah ! Please feel sorry for me..please go see my son's movie about me...golly gee, I bet THIS is the year the Cubbies win it all...maybe THEN I'll get into the Hall...Waaaaah !!!"

Lip Man 1
01-09-2008, 01:00 PM
I don't often do this but I'm disappointed over the way some of my brethren did their work on the Gossage story.

Not to single out individuals but reading the Tribune today for example, the story they had, used the stock quotes the Sox got from both Chuck Tanner and Roland Hemond earlier yesterday.

I mean would it have hurt anyone to actually pick up the phone and CALL Chuck or Roland for some 'fresh' material? maybe a personal story or two? It can't be that hard, I mean I did it inside of 45 minutes for a story that George will be releasing here at WSI.

I also spoke with some of Goose's former teammates on the Sox including Wilbur Wood. It's not like they don't have their numbers, hell I GAVE the Tribune my contact list.

I found it interesting that the Pittsburgh writer for example had a nice story on Goose, talking with Chuck who had some great stories on him:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-bbo-hall-of-fame,1,4631620.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headlines

Lip

FarWestChicago
01-09-2008, 07:37 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75KU9reHAsFor a second I thought WSI was around when Goose was pitching for the Sox. :redneck

Brian26
01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Not to hijack the Gossage lovefest, but nothing beats this Lasorda clip from the '77 World Series. Not even Elia.

9-mqXodn5mQ&feature=related
"Rivers, Jackson, and the ****ing other guy...who just hit that ball...he was a lefty wasn't he?"

"Lopes doesn't want to get back, get the **** back."

All of this while organ music is playing in the background.

Nellie_Fox
01-10-2008, 01:33 AM
I need some help from the older WSIers. I could swear I remember watching Goose and Forster warming up in a bullpen down the left field line when they were kids and I was just home from the Army, but I've checked the historical websites and see that center field at Comiskey was 400 ft. during those years, so the bullpen should have been out there.

Was there a time when center was 400' but they had the bullpens in foul territory anyway? Or am I hallucinating?

TDog
01-10-2008, 02:46 AM
I need some help from the older WSIers. I could swear I remember watching Goose and Forster warming up in a bullpen down the left field line when they were kids and I was just home from the Army, but I've checked the historical websites and see that center field at Comiskey was 400 ft. during those years, so the bullpen should have been out there.

Was there a time when center was 400' but they had the bullpens in foul territory anyway? Or am I hallucinating?

You're not hallucinating.

I started going to a lot of White Sox games in 1972. Before the games, I would go down to the leftfield corner to watch the pitcher warm up. More often than no it was Wilbur Wood. I would see Terry Forster and Rich Gossage, who looked like kids, talking to people over the Sox dugout.

In the mid-1960s, when I went to the first game, I sat over that bullpen, but I think in 1970 the bullpens might have been beyond the fence in center.

The Sox didn't take down the short fence in center until the return of Bill Veeck and the change from the red pinstripes before the 1976 season.

kba
01-10-2008, 09:18 AM

My recollection is that the bullpens were down the lines throughout the entire 1970's - including the red pinstripe era. My dad always liked to get seats in left field near the foul pole so he could watch the relievers warming up.

AZChiSoxFan
01-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Blyleven, Morris, Dawson, and Rice should be in too.
Why do you think that Hal Morris should be in the HOF? :redneck

ode to veeck
01-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Yes, they moved up the plate while the pens were on the side making it closer to 400 and not such a pitchers park (with 440 to dead center at the cinder block wall)

Lip Man 1
01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
The bullpens were in the center field area for most of the 1960's. Then in the 70's through 1975 the bullpens were down the left and right field lines. When Bill took over and removed the center field fence completely the pens remained down the lines.

When the new ownership took over before the 1981 season the bullpens were again moved back to center field since they put up another fence 400 feet away from home plate.

Lip

ode to veeck
01-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I don't often do this but I'm disappointed over the way some of my brethren did their work on the Gossage story.

Not to single out individuals but reading the Tribune today for example, the story they had, used the stock quotes the Sox got from both Chuck Tanner and Roland Hemond earlier yesterday.

I mean would it have hurt anyone to actually pick up the phone and CALL Chuck or Roland for some 'fresh' material? maybe a personal story or two? It can't be that hard, I mean I did it inside of 45 minutes for a story that George will be releasing here at WSI.

I also spoke with some of Goose's former teammates on the Sox including Wilbur Wood. It's not like they don't have their numbers, hell I GAVE the Tribune my contact list.

I found it interesting that the Pittsburgh writer for example had a nice story on Goose, talking with Chuck who had some great stories on him:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-bbo-hall-of-fame,1,4631620.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headlines

Lip

Can't wait to see your story Lip. I didn't know about Dick Allen really working with him until the stories of the last couple of days. Too bad Tanner moved on to the Pirates and his replacement tried to make Goose a starter.

Lip Man 1
01-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Ode:

As you'll read in the story from Roland Hemond, that decision in 1976 did not come from manager Paul Richards and there appeared to be a very solid reason for doing so.

Lip

Hitmen77
01-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Here is Letterman's Top 10 for Gossage:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/739847,CST-SPT-hitch14.article

JimRivera
01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
:smile::smile: Well, I didn't know him, but I sure had fun watching the Sox in 1972 when Rick came up from Appleton. I was living in Waterloo, Indiana, 165 miles from Comiskey, which was officially "White Sox Park" then, until Ole' Will changed it back ,in 1976.
A hard core Sox town,Waterloo... and we went to games all the time...every weekend they were home, we'd caravan two to six cars full of beer and Sox fans.
We'd usually buy boxes right at the bullpen, usually we'd be on the rail, and we got to talk a little bit to Rick and Terry, just kids, and we loved it when one of them got into the games.
Rick has this golden hair which stuck way outside his cap, all curly and shining in the Sunday sun...that's my first recollection of Rick.
Sometime later, he told the writers his name was Rich...probably someone mistakenly called him Rick when he was a rookie.
On night in 1975, my brother and I were grilling steaks at our parents' place in the old hometown, 3 hours from the Base Ball Palace of the World, and I said, let's go to Chicago!.
We had the game on...sixth inning...by luck, it went extra frames...and Boston was playing...we hit 35th and the game was in the 12th...we parked right there on Shields and jumped out of the VW and strolled right into some abandoned 1st base boxes and right then Yaz came up and Rich was in the game. I was yelling "SMOKE HIM, RICH!".
He got him, all right.
I don't think , at first, Rich liked being called "Goose". I suppose he just figured they were gonna call him Goose anyway. Next time I "talked" to Goose , he was a superstar with the NYYs. He was warming up in the bullpen, right field at Tiger Stadium. A foul ball was bearing down on his head and the "guard" had left his post for a second..."WATCH OUT GOOSE!!" ...and Goose ducked and the ball missed him by 3 feet.
Goose ... I watched the numbers and I wondered...after it took so LONG for Nellie, I wanted Goose in there.
Yes, he goes in as a NYY. Big deal. My memory is of a young man with long legs, red shoes, red pinstripes, red White Sox cap with long curly golden hair spilling out, getting the call and heading for the mound, leaving us with his buddy Terry to get ready in case Chuck needed a lefty.
Some things never dull in a man's memory. My memories of Goose shine.:rolleyes: