PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Trip

bighurt93
01-08-2008, 11:36 AM
I am trying to organize my inaugural trip to Az this spring to catch a glimpse of the whitesox up close. I was wondering when is the best time to go and if anyone has any tips on how to start planning a trip that would be great. I have already looked at the ST schedule but would like to know when is the best time to go, during game days or practices. Thanks.

Steelrod
01-08-2008, 12:00 PM
I prefer the morning workouts before the schedule starts. Very laid back. Players are friendly, accessable, and not under pressure yet.
However, any time is great weather and ....baseball!

btrain929
01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm also going to my 1st spring training trip. I'm going the week of March 12-16 (wed-sun). The main reason was because they play 3 home games in that time frame, one against the Cubs. How accessible are the players before/after the games as far as autographs go? Does a lot of that go on, or is it mainly business?? I don't wanna get my hopes up and get nothing, but I don't wanna come unprepared and they are giving out auto's left and right. I'm not a big auto hog to begin with, but if they are accessible and don't mind, why not.

Chicken Dinner
01-08-2008, 01:02 PM
If you like to see the regulars go towards the end of the month, if you like to see the kids, go early.

skobabe8
01-08-2008, 01:47 PM
There was just a thread on this with some great tips within the past few weeks.

WestSider
01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
We've gone every year, splitting our time in Tucson and Phoenix (see the Sox on the road there). This year, we are only doing Phoenix, as there is a 5-day stretch that the Sox play in the Phoenix-area 4 days out of the 5 (March 20-24), so we'll arrive morning March 20 in time for the game and leave after the game on March 24.

michned
01-08-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm also going to my 1st spring training trip. I'm going the week of March 12-16 (wed-sun). The main reason was because they play 3 home games in that time frame, one against the Cubs. How accessible are the players before/after the games as far as autographs go? Does a lot of that go on, or is it mainly business?? I don't wanna get my hopes up and get nothing, but I don't wanna come unprepared and they are giving out auto's left and right. I'm not a big auto hog to begin with, but if they are accessible and don't mind, why not.

Before the game, go down to the first row along the first base side and wait until they finish stretching. A few guys will always sign on the way back to the dugout.

Hitmenof77
01-09-2008, 01:23 AM
Is this the last year for in Tucson? Aren't they going to move into a new complex with the Dodgers?

spawn
01-09-2008, 06:52 AM
There was just a thread on this with some great tips within the past few weeks.
Here's (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95712&highlight=spring+training) the link to that thread. I'm considering going to Spring Training as well.

MarySwiss
01-09-2008, 07:37 AM
I prefer the morning workouts before the schedule starts. Very laid back. Players are friendly, accessable, and not under pressure yet.
However, any time is great weather and ....baseball!

I agree. I usually make a point to go to the Saturday workout right before the regular schedule starts; all the players are there by then. Also--and I'm surprised Michned didn't mention this since it's one of his haunts--there's a terrific Italian restaurant not too far away from TEP called Mama Louisa's. Highly recommended.

Medford Bobby
01-11-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm already designating my Rancho Sahuarita house and yard as a sanctuary for way ward Sox fans to watch world series DVD's and have a cold one in the sun......:gulp::wink:

spawn
01-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Just booked my trip. It will be my first time at ST, and I am PUMPED!!! :bandance::bandance::bandance:

michned
01-16-2008, 10:35 PM
I agree. I usually make a point to go to the Saturday workout right before the regular schedule starts; all the players are there by then. Also--and I'm surprised Michned didn't mention this since it's one of his haunts--there's a terrific Italian restaurant not too far away from TEP called Mama Louisa's. Highly recommended.

Mary, I have some Mama Louisa's leftovers in my fridge right now. Mmmm...

Here is a link to the Tucson restaurant thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=84486) from last year if anyone is interested.