PDA

View Full Version : McNamee's lawyer: This is war!!!!!!

Fenway
01-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Wilkes we need more :popcorn:

Press Release from McNamee's Lawyer (.pdf) (http://multimedia.nydailynews.com/pdf/2008/1/7/McNamee_PressRelease.pdf)

I can't help but thinking there is a smoking gun out there that hasn't come out yet.

"What does (Clemens) do, he calls him back with his lawyer in the room and a tape recorder going," McNamee attorney Richard Emery told the Daily News last night. "He wants to play that game, he's going to get buried. I have no compunction about putting him in jail.
"This is war."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/08/2008-01-08_brian_mcnamee_bitter_over_taping_of_call-4.html

voodoochile
01-08-2008, 11:12 AM
"...I have no compunction about putting him in jail. "This is war."

I love it. McNamee may not want to rip his hero a new one. He might even be willing to roll over and play nice doggie for the big sports star, but his lawyer isn't going to let it happen.

People love to rip on lawyers. No one respects or trust them... until you need one. McNamee needs one and it looks like he picked the right one.

I wonder if those words managed to get past Roger's ego and register in the pea sized brain that is fighting for room in that inflated melon of his...

tstrike2000
01-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I love it. McNamee may not want to rip his hero a new one. He might even be willing to roll over and play nice doggie for the big sports star, but his lawyer isn't going to let it happen.

People love to rip on lawyers. No one respects or trust them... until you need one. McNamee needs one and it looks like he picked the right one.

I wonder if those words managed to get past Roger's ego and register in the pea sized brain that is fighting for room in that inflated melon of his...

To use the dog analogy, McNamee also sounded like a lost and scared puppy during the conversation understandably concerning himself with his ailing son. Clemens at no time during the conversation was emphatic about being innocent though he does claim to be so. Roger's acting job in being innocent was never convincing.

McNamee's legal team are saying what they're supposed to. At no time did he refute his Mitchell report statements. He's just torn between the truth and his friendship with Clemens. Sounds like with his attorneys, he'll soon realize this isn't a guy you want to be close friends with.

twinsuck1
01-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Did anyone else feel the Clemen's attorney seemed a bit out of his league for this particular case? It just seemed to me that the guy should act a little more professional, seemed to be a bit of a wise guy?

fusillirob1983
01-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Did anyone else feel the Clemen's attorney seemed a bit out of his league for this particular case? It just seemed to me that the guy should act a little more professional, seemed to be a bit of a wise guy?

Yeah, like passing a note to Clemens during the press conference saying "lighten up". What was that about?

Fenway
01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Yeah, like passing a note to Clemens during the press conference saying "lighten up". What was that about?

I thought Roger was going to kill him when after Roger complained about spending millions on legal fees the lawyer laughed.

Rockin Robin
01-08-2008, 02:02 PM
Once again, if Roger was completely innocent, exactly why was he so dodgy in that phone call?

He just keeps digging himself in deeper and deeper and deeper.

I love Macnamee's question of "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?!" over and over and over.

champagne030
01-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I can't help but thinking there is a smoking gun out there that hasn't come out yet.

Yes, the smoking gun might be that McNamee lied to save his own ass from going to jail. Roger is a jagbag, but it's not like McNamee has an uncheckered past and didn't have incentive to make up the story.

Fenway
01-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Yes, the smoking gun might be that McNamee lied to save his own ass from going to jail. Roger is a jagbag, but it's not like McNamee has an uncheckered past and didn't have incentive to make up the story.

Come on.....why would he tell the truth about Pettitte and then make up a whopper about Clemens???????????

That is where I am stuck....

I want to believe Clemens for one reason. I would like to think the game I love wasn't a complete and total sham the last 20 years.

MUsoxfan
01-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Come on.....why would he tell the truth about Pettitte and then make up a whopper about Clemens???????????

I want to believe Clemens for one reason. I would like to think the game I love wasn't a complete and total sham the last 20 years.

I also find it unfathomable that Roger had NO idea that Pettitte was using when there aren't two closer friends in the world

champagne030
01-08-2008, 03:10 PM

I question Winstrol. It's used to bulk up and build mass. I missed the part where he blew up.

Anyway, the "whopper" may have gone something like this:

BM: Hey guys, what can I do to help me get out of this jam and maybe not go to jail?

Feds: Drop the dime on someone.

BM: I gave a shot, once or twice, of HGH to Andy Pettitte.

Feds: You're going to need to come up with something a little more juicy.

BM: Oh, I shot Roger Clemens in the ass 15-20 times with Winstrol.

Feds: See, you're learning........

areilly
01-08-2008, 03:10 PM
McNamee speaks:

Heyman article on SI.com (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/01/07/mcnamee.clemens/index.html)

chaerulez
01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
I question Winstrol. It's used to bulk up and build mass. I missed the part where he blew up.

BM: Hey guys, what can I do to help me get out of this jam and maybe not go to jail?

:rolleyes:

Rockin Robin
01-08-2008, 05:10 PM

Isn't the truth what keeps him out of jail? If so, then why make something up about a guy who he clearly still has respect and admiration for?

sas1974
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
The biggest question is: Why would McNamee lie? I can't get past that one. What did he have to gain by throwing his biggest client under the bus? Nothing. Roger isn't the head of some organized crime family. The feds would not put pressure on McNamee to give up Clemens. That's ridiculous.

Frontman
01-08-2008, 05:45 PM
The more I've thought about this, I think the whole thing, both lawsuits, the phone conversation, etc. I honestly think its all a "work" if I could steal a wrestling jargon for something being fake.

My gut is beginning to feel this is all smoke and mirrors, to muddy the water and make it difficult to sit in judgement of Roger. If I was innocent, I would do everything I could.

However, if I told the truth to federal investigators, I'd be adamant that I told the truth. I wouldn't be saying, "Tell me what to do."

I just don't believe either side on this.

thomas35forever
01-08-2008, 05:48 PM
I just don't believe either side on this.
If you don't, then what the hell happened in all of this? McNamee injected Roger and nothing else?

jenn2080
01-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Once again, if Roger was completely innocent, exactly why was he so dodgy in that phone call?

He just keeps digging himself in deeper and deeper and deeper.

I love Macnamee's question of "WHAT DO YOU WANT ME TO DO?!" over and over and over.

Not only that, but why would he need all these interviews. SHUT THE **** UP ALREADY! He looks more guilty everytime he speaks.

RockyMtnSoxFan
01-08-2008, 06:08 PM
The biggest question is: Why would McNamee lie? I can't get past that one. What did he have to gain by throwing his biggest client under the bus? Nothing. Roger isn't the head of some organized crime family. The feds would not put pressure on McNamee to give up Clemens. That's ridiculous.

I think you've got a point here. McNamee should be more worried about saying something to the feds that can be proven false than just providing names. For example, if Roger used steroids and McNamee knew it, he wouldn't stay silent because he would know that if evidence came out later that he had lied then he would lose his immunity. Also, if Roger is clean and McNamee knows it, he wouldn't accuse Roger because he obviously still likes Roger a lot, and if Roger can prove that he lied, he'll go to jail.

Would he risk offending his hero and jail time just because some prosecutors asked for information? I guess that's what Clemens and Hardin want us to believe, but I'm not convinced.

Frontman
01-08-2008, 06:19 PM
If you don't, then what the hell happened in all of this? McNamee injected Roger and nothing else?

Let me re-phrase it.

I have zero faith in the credibility of either person now. The whole thing seems contrived and staged.

MarySwiss
01-08-2008, 06:25 PM
Not only that, but why would he need all these interviews. SHUT THE **** UP ALREADY! He looks more guilty everytime he speaks.

Exactly! He's whining about having to answer "all these questions." Who the hell told him to call a press conference?

Sheesh!

MUsoxfan
01-08-2008, 06:27 PM
I just heard a part of that call. To me it seemed like they were both recording each other and they were trying to bamboozle each other to say something that could be used against the other one in a court of law. Much ado about nothing

Rockin Robin
01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
I just heard a part of that call. To me it seemed like they were both recording each other and they were trying to bamboozle each other to say something that could be used against the other one in a court of law. Much ado about nothing

Well if you listen to the whole thing, it's pretty clear that Clemens is taping it...his tone, his nervousness...he just keeps repeating the same things over and over.

And at no point did he say "You know I didn't do this, what the **** is the matter with you?! Why are you dragging me into this?!"

I don't know why Roger is doing this. He'd actually look better if he stayed underground.

Vernam
01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't know why Roger is doing this. He'd actually look better if he stayed underground.Yep. I think he's doing it for the same reason he shot up: He needs to be seen as the greatest, and nothing's going to stand in his way. If he were smart -- which he clearly is not -- he'd have gone on-record as saying the Mitchell Report is mistaken, then left it at that. Sure, most people wouldn't have bought it, but he could have maintained a dignified silence that many people (including HoF voters) would have grudgingly admired, over a period of years.

But now, I think more damaging facts are sure to come out. Having MacNamee, Petite, and/or Clemens testifying under oath in DC is not something a competent lawyer or even PR advisor would ever encourage, but Clemens's performance yesterday almost guarantees an ugly result. He reminded me of Elvis, surrounded by sycophants who wouldn't dare tell him he's full of ****.

It's fascinating to watch someone inadvertently expose his true nature the way Clemens did this week. He's acting like such an ass, I wouldn't feel sorry for him even if he were innocent. Which he ain't.

Vernam

champagne030
01-08-2008, 09:45 PM
:rolleyes:

Back at ya! :rolleyes::rolleyes: It's crazy that someone will lie to keep themselves out of jail.

Isn't the truth what keeps him out of jail? If so, then why make something up about a guy who he clearly still has respect and admiration for?

It's "he vs. he" said. There's no proof for either side. Where's the clear respect and admiration? He said that he shot up Clemens and Pettitte and didn't go to jail.

What did he have to gain? Not going to jail! The Feds told him to tell a story or his ass was going to jail. This is a scum bag that was accused of sexually assaulting a women by slipping her GHB. We're not talking about a choir boy. And you're nuts thinking the Feds wouldn't put leverage for a bigger name.......

Daver
01-08-2008, 09:51 PM
What did he have to gain? Not going to jail! The Feds told him to tell a story or his ass was going to jail. This is a scum bag that was accused of sexually assaulting a women by slipping her GHB. We're not talking about a choir boy. And you're nuts thinking the Feds wouldn't put leverage for a bigger name.......

You go to jail for perjury too, and I'll bet his lawyer advised him of that.

Keep fishing for excuses to protect the cheaters.

champagne030
01-08-2008, 10:04 PM
You go to jail for perjury too, and I'll bet his lawyer advised him of that.

Keep fishing for excuses to protect the cheaters.

I didn't know he was on the stand. Anyway, he was told by the "Feds" to tell the truth or he would go to jail. I bet his lawyer also told him that nobody can prove he wasn't telling the truth.

I wasn't fishing to protect cheaters. I think Clemens probably took HGH at some point, but McNamee is a complete scumbag and to believe he's telling the truth this time is just wanting Clemens to be busted.

voodoochile
01-08-2008, 10:07 PM
I didn't know he was on the stand. Anyway, he was told by the "Feds" to tell the truth or he would go to jail. I bet his lawyer also told him that nobody can prove he wasn't telling the truth.

I wasn't fishing to protect cheaters. I think Clemens probably took HGH at some point, but McNamee is a complete scumbag and to believe he's telling the truth this time is just wanting Clemens to be busted.

If his lawyer knowingly allowed McNamee to lie or even allowed him to tell a suspected lie to federal investigators, he's ****ed too...

champagne030
01-08-2008, 10:10 PM
If his lawyer knowingly allowed McNamee to lie or even allowed him to tell a suspected lie to federal investigators, he's ****ed too...

We're both smarter than that......

FarWestChicago
01-08-2008, 10:29 PM
I wasn't fishing to protect cheaters.:roflmao:

champagne030
01-08-2008, 10:32 PM
:roflmao:

Happy New Year.......:wooty:

the1tab
01-08-2008, 10:44 PM
I say again: Andy Pettite has admitted, confirming MacNamee's information given to the Mitchell Report, that he used HGH. Andy Pettite worked out with MacNamee in Clemens' house. The larger bank account the harder the tumble? MacNamee was never anything more than a tagalong on Clemens' heroic coat tails, and to allegedly throw his god under the bus makes no sense. Especially when Pettite, Clemens' homeboy and spotter, confirmed MacNamee's claims.

Roger's a dirtball, and I continue to hope he gets a one-way ticket to Camp Vick.

champagne030
01-08-2008, 11:05 PM
I say again: Andy Pettite has admitted, confirming MacNamee's information given to the Mitchell Report, that he used HGH. Andy Pettite worked out with MacNamee in Clemens' house. The larger bank account the harder the tumble? MacNamee was never anything more than a tagalong on Clemens' heroic coat tails, and to allegedly throw his god under the bus makes no sense. Especially when Pettite, Clemens' homeboy and spotter, confirmed MacNamee's claims.

Roger's a dirtball, and I continue to hope he gets a one-way ticket to Camp Vick.

St. Petersburg police records: Clemens' ex-trainer lied during 2001 rape case

5 hours ago
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Detectives believed the former Toronto Blue Jays trainer who says he injected Roger Clemens with steroids lied to them during the 2001 investigation of a possible rape, according to documents released Tuesday by police.
Police said Brian McNamee denied having sex with a possibly drugged woman in a hotel pool, even though security guards and other witnesses said they saw him.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hUN3TJQ2iMD2FfSJNb3bCEGrQ9Kg

Daver
01-08-2008, 11:11 PM
St. Petersburg police records: Clemens' ex-trainer lied during 2001 rape case

5 hours ago
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Detectives believed the former Toronto Blue Jays trainer who says he injected Roger Clemens with steroids lied to them during the 2001 investigation of a possible rape, according to documents released Tuesday by police.
Police said Brian McNamee denied having sex with a possibly drugged woman in a hotel pool, even though security guards and other witnesses said they saw him.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hUN3TJQ2iMD2FfSJNb3bCEGrQ9Kg

What does this have to do with anything in this discussion?

You are really reaching to find reasons to protect cheaters now. Are you going to try and find his tax returns next?

champagne030
01-08-2008, 11:13 PM
What does this have to do with anything in this discussion?

You are really reaching to find reasons to protect cheaters now. Are you going to try and find his tax returns next?

I'd like to look at the money trail. It might lead to Clemens, but now, it leads that this guy will lie to keep his ass out of jail.

the1tab
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
As Voodoochile said previously:

If you sleep with dogs, you wake up w/ fleas.

MacNamee is garbage and Clemens is garbage, too.

Daver
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
I'd like to look at the money trail. It might lead to Clemens, but now, it leads that this guy will lie to keep his ass out of jail.

You still can't get the idea through your thick skull that lying will put him in jail can you?

ilsox7
01-08-2008, 11:17 PM

The problem with your argument is that you keep claiming he lied to the feds to keep himself out of jail, however, if he actually did lie to the feds, they will throw the book at him and he'll be serving plenty of time.

The other problem is that, with regard to his story in this instance, he has already been vindicated by one guy.

He may be a scumbag who possibly lied to police in the past, but given the current circumstances, the evidence points toward him telling the truth. Does that mean it's 100% certain he is telling the truth? No. But it's more likely than not.

the1tab
01-08-2008, 11:22 PM
The problem with your argument is that you keep claiming he lied to the feds to keep himself out of jail, however, if he actually did lie to the feds, they will throw the book at him and he'll be serving plenty of time.

The other problem is that, with regard to his story in this instance, he has already been vindicated by one guy.

He may be a scumbag who possibly lied to police in the past, but given the current circumstances, the evidence points toward him telling the truth. Does that mean it's 100% certain he is telling the truth? No. But it's more likely than not.

What evidence points towards Clemens telling the truth? As far as I've seen, more players have confirmed MacNamee's allegations than have denied them. Roger's workout buddy, who trained at the same time with the same trainer in question, admitted to using. And it has only been since Clemens decided to go on the offensive that MacNamee's stance softened and Pettite got on the fence about testifying.

I think Clemens is a bully, a liar and a cheat who deserves every last thing thought and said about him. The grace he expected from the publis was used up when he showed exactly how deep his character was with the stunt he pulled after the World Series when he left to a dramatic standing O on the road, only to come back the next year. He's a fraud.

ilsox7
01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
What evidence points towards Clemens telling the truth? As far as I've seen, more players have confirmed MacNamee's allegations than have denied them. Roger's workout buddy, who trained at the same time with the same trainer in question, admitted to using. And it has only been since Clemens decided to go on the offensive that MacNamee's stance softened and Pettite got on the fence about testifying.

I think Clemens is a bully, a liar and a cheat who deserves every last thing thought and said about him. The grace he expected from the publis was used up when he showed exactly how deep his character was with the stunt he pulled after the World Series when he left to a dramatic standing O on the road, only to come back the next year. He's a fraud.

Neither you nor I know all of the facts in this case. That's why I said it's more likely than not that Clemens used, but not 100%.

champagne030
01-08-2008, 11:26 PM
You still can't get the idea through your thick skull that lying will put him in jail can you?

He was going to jail anyway. What does he have to lose by throwing someone out that cannot prove he is lying?

Again, nobody can prove he lied. And at this point, nobody can prove Roger lied. There's zero "evidence" that McNamee is telling the truth.

One guy is facing jail time and the other is facing his legacy going down the tubes. Brian might be telling the truth, but to say Clemens is dirty based on his account is silly.

oeo
01-08-2008, 11:28 PM

In order to keep himself out of jail, he lies...which will also send you to jail. Makes a lot of sense.

He was going to jail anyway. What does he have to lose by throwing someone out that cannot prove he is lying?What does he gain? Look at what you're typing, it doesn't make sense. This is a guy that said Clemens treated him like family...it makes no sense as to why he would just throw him under the bus for no reason.

Again, nobody can prove he lied. And at this point, nobody can prove Roger lied. There's zero "evidence" that McNamee is telling the truth.It makes no sense as to why he would lie. You're just coming up with bull**** about the Feds pressuring him for a big name...

ilsox7
01-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Again, nobody can prove he lied. And at this point, nobody can prove Roger lied. There's zero "evidence" that McNamee is telling the truth.

One guy is facing jail time and the other is facing his legacy going down the tubes. Brian might be telling the truth, but to say Clemens is dirty based on his account is silly.

There is plenty of circumstantial evidence that Clemens took steroids.

Fenway
01-08-2008, 11:36 PM
I listened to the phone call again.

I think the key exchange is when Roger asked "Why did you tell them I doing that stuff?"

I interpreted that as Roger wondering why would you drop a dime on me after all I did for you.

I also am perhaps naive but I can not fathom George Mitchell putting his John Hancock on something that could blow up in his face. There is something we don't know yet ( I suspect it is Andy Pettitte )

Roger's actions the past month have not surprised me as this is the way he has always acted. Yesterday was laughable as Roger starts his news conference by saying in effect that you sportswriters are a piece of garbage. Then after some tough questions ( and some real stupid answers ) he blows up at the end.

When Roger said he didn't believe that steroids could help that much he showed himself to be as dumb as many have suspected for 20 years.

manders_01
01-09-2008, 12:03 AM
Okay - I've apparently missed a portion of all this mess. Who said McNamee was pressured by the Feds to give up anyone? Someone who is accused of using or someone with some shred of credibility?

russ99
01-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Let me re-phrase it.

I have zero faith in the credibility of either person now. The whole thing seems contrived and staged.

Which is why you should believe the one player who's come clean and taken it like a man, Andy Pettitte.

Clemens and Pettite are year-round training buddies, and were when both met up in New York, were when both went to Houston and when both went back to the Yankees.

Therefore, I don't have a grain of belief that Clemens didn't know what was going on, much less in partaking of juicing. Everything else is conjecture between Mr. Egomaniac and the sleazebag who dropped a dime to keep out of jail.

BadBobbyJenks
01-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Why is it unreasonable to think McNamee lied? Playing along with the scenario that he was going to jail unless he gave up some big names, why wouldnt he lie to try and keep himself out of jail. If hes caught lying hes was already getting time either way so I am not sure why everyone is jumping all over champagne.

That said I dont believe Clemens, but the otherside of the argument is possible. Keep what ever smartass "possible" scenarios that I am sure are coming to yourselves.

jabrch
01-09-2008, 11:39 PM

and if any of the feds were trying to coerce him to commit perjury, they'd be there as well. It is insane that people are trying to defend Clemens at this point in time.

cards press box
01-10-2008, 03:38 AM

Clemens' actions might reveal that he was a sham but you can't extend that to the whole game and to all the players who played the game right.

Frank Thomas did not cheat. Ken Griffey, Jr. did not cheat. For years, Thomas was a lone voice in the wilderness telling anyone and everyone that steroid use altered a level playing field.

If Clemens used steroids to avoid the natural decline that would otherwise have come with aging, that reflects solely on him, not on other players and certainly not on the game of baseball.

ksimpson14
01-10-2008, 05:27 AM

I'm not so sure about that, that call was too weird, I wouldn't be shocked if McNamee was trying to get Clemens to say something with his "what do you want me to do?" stuff, maybe he was doing the same thing. I'm still not sure what to make of that call. What did they play, 17 minutes? The news report had it as a hour long conversation, they both may have been in on it and agreed on what to say, maybe thinking they look good as McNamee doesn't say 'but you did take steroids', and doesn't lie, not saying that he didn't

Clemens' lawyer makes me laugh, he has a great name, and I don't know, something about his look or wardrobe reminds of some cartoon or low rent guy you get off a billboard 15 years ago. I'm guessing he's supposed to be pretty good though, especially if Clemens went out and got him (I heard they hadn't even met until he was named?)

ksimpson14
01-10-2008, 05:39 AM
Man this is better than a soap opera or mystery novel. Either way, I don't really care if he or anyone took the stuff, won't affect me and loving baseball and the Sox. With the steroids side effects and what we see happening with wrestlers now, they dug their own grave (not even mentioning possible legal consequences), and they were willing to sacrifice that part of it for the millions of dollars and fame, it's their life, now they get to live with it.and there's no need to be shocked. It was obvious to me while McGwire was going for his record, he looked like a complete freak, from head to body, it's been around for a much longer time than that, and it's in all sports, I've accepted it as coming with the territory

I also am perhaps naive but I can not fathom George Mitchell putting his John Hancock on something that could blow up in his face. There is something we don't know yet ( I suspect it is Andy Pettitte )

How about that BS that he and Andy have never talked about it. Please. It would've been more believable if he'd said that they both had been offered or had discussed the positives and negatives but never did. Then there's the Canseco excerpts and part about the 'B12' code.

That, along with the tape (sounds too much to me like a 'why did you rat on me' instead of 'why did you lie about me' call), and Clemens' statistical trends make me believe he is guilty. I don't know about a paper trail, maybe he was extra extra careful with that (pay cash for everything, never sign anything, etc), and that's why he's come out firing now.

Taliesinrk
01-10-2008, 11:38 AM

Because "the truth" may not have been enough incentive for the Feds to let him go. If he only had names like Jim Parque, he very easily may have been thrown in jail.

For the record, I have no idea as to who's right and wrong, or guilty and innocent.. (except I really think Frank is innocent). I'm just saying that there is reason for him to lie about Clemens due to the fact that he is (/was??) a shoe-in for the hall.

Taliesinrk
01-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Which is why you should believe the one player who's come clean and taken it like a man, Andy Pettitte.

GMAB. That was the biggest 1/2-ass confession I've ever heard.

Fenway
01-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Oh to be a fly on the wall for this

Brian McNamee meets with federal agents (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/10/2008-01-10_brian_mcnamee_meets_with_feds-2.html)

Brian McNamee met Thursday in his lawyer's office with the federal agents who cut a deal with him last summer requiring him to talk truthfully with Sen. George Mitchell about steroid use in Major League Baseball or face prosecution.