PDA

View Full Version : Second Base Upgrade

sweetjpo
01-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Was just looking around at all the potential needs for the Sox this year and one comes to mind, 2nd base. I believe Richar is a good player but needs some guidance. Uncle Kenny has been cleaning out the farm system so why stop now? I think the Sox could offer up a couple prospects (one being Brian Anderson) and maybe Uribe for Freddy Sanchez from Pittsburgh who is a free agent at the end of this year. Of course the ultimate pck up would be Cano, but I was thinking more realisticly.

BainesHOF
01-07-2008, 06:03 PM
The jury's still out on Richar, but I'm comfortable with us taking our chances with him. In my opinion, I think we should use our two biggest trading chips, Crede and possibly Konerko, to improve our pitching.

Daver
01-07-2008, 06:05 PM
The jury's still out on Richar, but I'm comfortable with us taking our chances with him. In my opinion, I think we should use our two biggest trading chips, Crede and possibly Konerko, to improve our pitching.

What exactly is a third baseman that has not played a single inning since back surgery worth?

If that is the Sox biggest chip, they ain't getting much back.

steely712
01-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I definitely think that Richar will not kill us this year, and this is probably the best time for us to see what he's got. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see someone like Roberts or Cano, but if Richar turns into a pretty good player, it will save us a heel of a lot of money. We also don't need him to be insanely productive, we are really just looking for him to be an average second baseman in his first year with potential to be better the next year, but who knows he may come out and hit .300.

JB98
01-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Stick with Richar. Uribe is a fallback option.

skobabe8
01-07-2008, 06:21 PM
Uncle Kenny? :?:

redsand22
01-07-2008, 06:37 PM
What exactly is a third baseman that has not played a single inning since back surgery worth?

I agree, he's on top of the list to be traded, but the return isn't much of anything until people see him play.

chisoxmike
01-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Richar is very low on our list of worries right now.

soxinem1
01-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Richar is very low on our list of worries right now.

I agree. Same with Owens. They catch everything hit to them, have shown some hitting skills, and should be given the opportunity to just play.

I'm sick of KW drafting or trading for guys, hyping them, then discarding them for some veteran running on empty.

You can't have a veteran at every position. Good teams break in rookies as regulars sometimes. Show some confidence in these guys and let them play.

Who are we going to find refuge for next, Luis Gonzalez and Marcus Giles? If that's the case, Iguchi should still be here then. Enough of the journeymen already.

I would just love to see a White Sox draftee, or in Owens and Richar's cases, a guy who made his MLB debut with the White Sox, be given a real chance to stick as a position player.

We need another reliever. Go find that, KW.

BainesHOF
01-07-2008, 10:25 PM

It's been reported players come back from the type of surgery Crede had. He's one of the best fielders and clutch hitters in the game. If he looks healthy during spring training, there will be interest in him.

cws05champ
01-07-2008, 10:43 PM
It's funny how people get al excited about prospects in the minors, and get pissed when they are traded away. Then they want to supplant a young 2B that just came to the majors 1/2 season ago, that has the potential to be good.

Give Richar 3 months, if he is not producing, and the Sox are in contention, a serviceable 2nd baseman would not cost us much at the deadline (see Tadahit Iguchi return on trade).

Tragg
01-07-2008, 10:59 PM
It's funny how people get al excited about prospects in the minors, and get pissed when they are traded away. Then they want to supplant a young 2B that just came to the majors 1/2 season ago, that has the potential to be good.

Give Richar 3 months, if he is not producing, and the Sox are in contention, a serviceable 2nd baseman would not cost us much at the deadline (see Tadahit Iguchi return on trade).
I'm not so sure those 2 groups are the same - that those who like the prospects aren't the ones who want Richar out.
Anyway, give him all year - if the alternative is some mediocre veteran, leave him in there....the improvement is so miniscule it's not worth it. We heard the same stuff about Crede in 05 - people weren't satisfied - Joe Randa anyone?
He bats last. Leave him alone.
Owens is different - he doesn't handle his positionn defensively, puports to hit leadoff and really has a low offensive upside because he's just a slapper.

PalehosePlanet
01-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Was just looking around at all the potential needs for the Sox this year and one comes to mind, 2nd base. I believe Richar is a good player but needs some guidance. Uncle Kenny has been cleaning out the farm system so why stop now? I think the Sox could offer up a couple prospects (one being Brian Anderson) and maybe Uribe for Freddy Sanchez from Pittsburgh who is a free agent at the end of this year. Of course the ultimate pck up would be Cano, but I was thinking more realisticly.

I was just thinking today, after reading that the Pirates would consider dealing him, that Freddy Sanchez definitely sounds like a KW type of acquisition. I have no idea what Neil Huntington would want for him (probably too much) but he would be a solid addition. Hes 30 years old now, but still has 2 more arbitration eliginle years then is a free agent 2010.

At the same time though I like what I've seen from Richar. I guess I'd be for it if it didn't cost too much, however, I have a feeling it would.

soxfan21
01-08-2008, 10:18 AM
I would really not mind keeping Richar at second as long as he does not screw up too many times. He is still young and if all else fails uribe could take his spot, or if Alexi comes along fast he could also handle the spot at second. Saying that, I also would not mind picking up a veteran second baseman as long as it does not cost us too many of what is left of our prospects.

TomBradley72
01-08-2008, 10:44 AM
We could definitely use an upgrade at 2B if we want to return to the World Series...but with our limited trade bait...we have to focus on upgrading our starting rotation and bullpen.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
The Sox have other priorities, namely pitching. They need to solidify their rotation and bullpen. Once those are fixed, they can begin thinking about 2b. It may not even be a problem. Play Richard for two months and see where he's at before making any decisions.

btrain929
01-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Guidance = Orlando Cabrera.

Save McCuddy's
01-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Good call. One of the benefits of acquiring Cabrera will be the example he sets for Richar and other young players about how to prepare and go about your business. Doubtful that they would have wanted Richar to pick much of Uribe's typical game plan.

Milkman43
01-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Give Danny a chance. I love the way he swings the bat and he'll be a solid #9 hitter. I dont mind giving up Sweeney and Gonzalez but parting with Richar would be a mistake. Without the insane base-stealing ability, Richar reminds me a lot of Jose Reyes when he first came into the league. We are going to like we what see from Danny Richar this year.