PDA

View Full Version : Roger Clemens on 60 Minutes

Fenway
01-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Shortly Roger's interview with Mike Wallace will air.

Honestly I expect more truth in the first segment which will be Whitey Bulger's shooter.

Adding to the circus

Clemens, McNamee have 'emotional' phone talk (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spclemens0106,0,5082256.story?coll=ny_home_rail_he adlines)

In a surprising twist to their public war of words, Roger Clemens and his former trainer, Brian McNamee, spoke by telephone Friday night, Newsday has learned. It was their first contact since the Mitchell Report was released Dec. 13, and a person close to the situation described the hourlong conversation between the longtime friends as "emotional."

whitesoxwilkes
01-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Shortly Roger's interview with Mike Wallace will air.

Honestly I expect more truth in the first segment which will be Whitey Bulger's shooter.

Adding to the circus

Clemens, McNamee have 'emotional' phone talk (http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/yankees/ny-spclemens0106,0,5082256.story?coll=ny_home_rail_he adlines)

In a surprising twist to their public war of words, Roger Clemens and his former trainer, Brian McNamee, spoke by telephone Friday night, Newsday has learned. It was their first contact since the Mitchell Report was released Dec. 13, and a person close to the situation described the hourlong conversation between the longtime friends as "emotional."

The interview with Bulger's guy was riveting. Wow. Rocket better be awful interesting to top that.

Brian26
01-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Roger is not helping his cause here.

He keeps saying he's not into the "quick fix" drugs, but he just admitted that he took Vioxx and pain killers 15 minutes before the World Series.

If he's dabbling with B-12, Vioxx, pain killers, etc, who's to think he wouldn't want to dabble with HGH or steroids?

whitesoxwilkes
01-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Roger is not helping his cause here.

He keeps saying he's not into the "quick fix" drugs, but he just admitted that he took Vioxx and pain killers 15 minutes before the World Series.

"I was eatin' Vioxx like it was Skittles."

ilsox7
01-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Wow. That was awful. What's the line? It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear to be an idiot, than to open it and confirm peoples suspicions.

Martinigirl
01-06-2008, 08:36 PM
DId anyone believe that ****? I loved how he dodged the lie detector question and why he wouldn't sue the trainer - it may cost too much money. Didn't the Yankees pay him like $1000 a minute last year?

Brian26
"I was eatin' Vioxx like it was Skittles."

LOL.

I actually enjoyed the Musharraf interview more than the Clemens piece.

thegooch
"Duh...I don't know if a lie detector test would help". What a joke.

whitesoxwilkes
01-06-2008, 08:37 PM
LOL.

I actually enjoyed the Musharraf interview more than the Clemens piece.

The Musharraf piece was good. The piece on Bulger's guy was ****ing phenomenal.

Fenway
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2008/01/06/1199664122_0677.gif (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases)
Clemens denies use (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases)

In an interview with Mike Wallace of '60 Minutes', Roger Clemens denied reports that he ever used steroids or HGH.

Roger Clemens open to lie-detector test (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2008/01/06/roger_clemens_open_to_lie_detector_test)

I also found out that Bulger's hitman went to the same prep school I did :?:

Gawd he looked guilty in that.

thomas35forever
DId anyone believe that ****? I loved how he dodged the lie detector question and why he wouldn't sue the trainer - it may cost too much money. Didn't the Yankees pay him like $1000 a minute last year?
Yup, and I bet he's even paying his family that much to keep their mouths shut.

whitesoxwilkes
01-06-2008, 08:40 PM
****. Even Old Man Rooney is killin' tonight. "Could you imagine flying into Mitt Romney airport...or driving a Kucinich Continental."

Jjav829
01-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Wow. That was awful. What's the line? It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear to be an idiot, than to open it and confirm peoples suspicions.

Absolutely. He would have been better off saying nothing.

I like how Clemens kept calling PEDs a "quick fix" but then posed the rhetorical question asking if steroids were so good for him, why didn't he keep doing them? Why did he supposedly stop? Well, uhhh, Roger, you just said they are a "quick fix," so didn't you kind of answer that question.

Roger is on a very slippery slope with the admissions to taking whatever kind of pain killers he needed in order to get out onto the field and do his job.

Daver
01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Absolutely. He would have been better off saying nothing.

I like how Clemens kept calling PEDs a "quick fix" but then posed the rhetorical question asking if steroids were so good for him, why didn't he keep doing them? Why did he supposedly stop? Well, uhhh, Roger, you just said they are a "quick fix," so didn't you kind of answer that question.

Roger is on a very slippery slope with the admissions to taking whatever kind of pain killers he needed in order to get out onto the field and do his job.

He just wrote his ticket out of Cooperstown, hope he enjoys his money.

Brian26
01-06-2008, 08:47 PM
He just wrote his ticket out of Cooperstown, hope he enjoys his money.

It's America's fault. Guilty until proven innocent. :whiner:

Yes, the same America that bankrolled this guy's career and paid for the mansion he lives in and the kickass workout room that he trains in.

Martinigirl
01-06-2008, 08:51 PM
It's America's fault. Guilty until proven innocent. :whiner:

Yes, the same America that bankrolled this guy's career and paid for the mansion he lives in and the kickass workout room that he trains in.

That line made me want to vomit. You are right Roger, America is the problem here.

Fenway
01-06-2008, 08:59 PM
He left himself wide open on one matter.

He said "Had I known what was said I would have talked to Mitchell". He said that he was advised not to talk ( which is what the union was telling them to do )

BUT Mitchell said Clemens WAS told that he was accused.

He is dumber than I thought.

Somewhere in the big press box in the sky this man is laughing
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/will_mcdonough_a.jpg

Will McDonough

voodoochile
01-06-2008, 09:14 PM
"Duh...I don't know if a lie detector test would help". What a joke.

Well technically, he's correct. Lie detectors are easy to beat and are not even close to being accepted science. It's why they aren't allowed in court testimony. Honest people get called liars and liars get cleared regularly by this sham science.

Having said that, the fact that he won't take one speaks volumes about his mindset.

Fenway
01-06-2008, 09:19 PM
CBS has posted the interview and transcript

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/03/60minutes/main3671585.shtml

Frontman
01-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Well technically, he's correct. Lie detectors are easy to beat and are not even close to being accepted science. It's why they aren't allowed in court testimony. Honest people get called liars and liars get cleared regularly by this sham science.

Having said that, the fact that he won't take one speaks volumes about his mindset.

Actually, he never said he wouldn't. He said he'd take one, but if they aren't reliable, what would it prove?

At least on that, I'd give him props. Because after spending time/money on taking a lie detector test, you know those who believe he's guilty would say the test is faulty, those who believe he's innocent would use it to vindicate him; and we'd be back at the starting point.

Honestly, I really don't believe his innocence or guilt after that interview. And as far as not suing? I can understand that as well. He could sue and again prove nothing, wasting time, money, energy into it. Oh sure, he's got the money to burn.

The Vioxx comments were very telling, and to be honest, if I was him I'd be bringing that up as well. If team doctors were handing this stuff out (and players were using them like Skittles) then that is just as important as steroid abuse. Stuff that can attack and ruin the heart is just as important.

My gut says he's used. My head? I need more solid information than one trainer. If Roger or any other player left a paper trail, all the more reason to believe that they used. Even if someone said they saw Roger or any other player get injected, we have no clue as to what was in that syringe. Could be a pain med, it could be a B-12 (now when he said that, I was hinging back towards not believing him. Raphael anyone?) or it could be anything.

Damn players union won't allow solid testing, anyways.

Was an interesting interview; but I believe Roger's personality did him more harm than good. He'll always come across as abrasive and crass and arrogant.

thegooch
01-06-2008, 09:24 PM

A person innocent of the charges against him does not brush off taking a lie detector test, regardless of the science behind it.

voodoochile
01-06-2008, 09:38 PM
CBS has posted the interview and transcript

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/01/03/60minutes/main3671585.shtml

Thanks for posting this. Interesting read. He does deny the injections repeatedly, but "it never happened" only denies that the facts as presented are wrong, it doesn't deny actually taking steroids. If McNamee or Wallace screwed up the details, Clemens is still legally correct.

I imagine before he took a lie detector he'd want approval of the questions.

voodoochile
01-06-2008, 09:40 PM
A person innocent of the charges against him does not brush off taking a lie detector test, regardless of the science behind it.

You can be innocent and still fail. People who do well on homework but poorly on tests due to stress are notorious for failing lie detectors too (as an example) and people can be taught to beat the test simply by practicing with the questions repeatedly until you can pass.

Still, that was my point. Innocent people normally jump at the chance to take one.

champagne030
01-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Actually, he never said he wouldn't. He said he'd take one, but if they aren't reliable, what would it prove?

At least on that, I'd give him props. Because after spending time/money on taking a lie detector test, you know those who believe he's guilty would say the test is faulty, those who believe he's innocent would use it to vindicate him; and we'd be back at the starting point.

Honestly, I really don't believe his innocence or guilt after that interview. And as far as not suing? I can understand that as well. He could sue and again prove nothing, wasting time, money, energy into it. Oh sure, he's got the money to burn.

The Vioxx comments were very telling, and to be honest, if I was him I'd be bringing that up as well. If team doctors were handing this stuff out (and players were using them like Skittles) then that is just as important as steroid abuse. Stuff that can attack and ruin the heart is just as important.

My gut says he's used. My head? I need more solid information than one trainer. If Roger or any other player left a paper trail, all the more reason to believe that they used. Even if someone said they saw Roger or any other player get injected, we have no clue as to what was in that syringe. Could be a pain med, it could be a B-12 (now when he said that, I was hinging back towards not believing him. Raphael anyone?) or it could be anything.

Damn players union won't allow solid testing, anyways.

Was an interesting interview; but I believe Roger's personality did him more harm than good. He'll always come across as abrasive and crass and arrogant.

That's an excellent post. I, too, believe he use PED's. I don't think he used steroids, but my bet is he used HGH. He put himself out there....find the supplier and he can be busted.

I don't like Roger, but it reeks of Mcnamee throwing him under the bus to save his own ass.

Save McCuddy's
01-06-2008, 10:46 PM

How about it. If he used just one half of one of his ill-gotten steroid contracts on the law suit he'd bury McNamee.

Save McCuddy's
01-06-2008, 10:52 PM

Along the same lines of what I was thinking. I bet psychologists and body language experts had a field day examining the squirming and fidgeting. Wonder why he though grinding his teeth and molesting a ballpoint pen was going to play well on tv?

raven1
01-06-2008, 11:05 PM
I have a lot more respect for Musharraf than Clemens. Both are in very difficult no-win situations. At least Musharraf is taking the realistic approach & trying to position himself as the best of many bad alternatives. Roger Clemens could have retired 6 years ago & been voted into the HOF this year. Instead he hung on too long & now is making hollow excuses instead of owning up to his mistakes.

"Coming clean" would have been a better option - "I have sinned, let the healing process begin" works for politicians caught red handed, so a baseball player is stupid for stubbornly denying it. If he had only said "Everyone did it including me, I was wrong & it was a mistake" he would be on his way to the HOF.

Fenway
01-06-2008, 11:10 PM
"Coming clean" would have been a better option - "I have sinned, let the healing process begin" works for politicians caught red handed, so a baseball player is stupid for stubbornly denying it. If he had only said "Everyone did it including me, I was wrong & it was a mistake" he would be on his way to the HOF.

Andy Pettitte will get a standing ovation when he makes his first start in the Bronx.

I'm stuck on one issue. Why would the trainer lie about Roger when he gave them Pettitte?????????

raven1
01-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Andy Pettitte will get a standing ovation when he makes his first start in the Bronx.

I'm stuck on one issue. Why would the trainer lie about Roger when he gave them Pettitte?????????
That's why he is guilty - in this case Clemens is letting his ego get in the way of his long-term best interests. I think it's a panic reaction, more politically astute PR people (as opposed to typical sports agents) would have given him better advice.

rocky biddle
01-06-2008, 11:34 PM

That McNamee fella doesn't seem like too good of a person, but he had no reason to add a "big fish" to his testimony. I could be wrong, but I don't think his deal was dependent on the quality of the stars he gave up. He had no reason to lie, and doing so would've hurt him more than helped him.

Luckily Roger has a lot of fans in the media. They can help him attack the accusers and try to slant public opinion in his favor. If only Barry Bonds had been friendly with the talking heads. Maybe the Game of Shadows guys would be branded "sewer rats."

Fenway
01-06-2008, 11:42 PM
Luckily Roger has a lot of fans in the media. They can help him attack the accusers and try to slant public opinion in his favor. If only Barry Bonds had been friendly with the talking heads. Maybe the Game of Shadows guys would be branded "sewer rats."

Roger's friends in the media are not being very loud right now.

The big guns in the Northeast - Mike Lupica, Bob Ryan, all of the NY Times columnists, Thomas Boswell etc are not buying his act.

This becomes very simple....if Roger goes to Congress and says UNDER OATH that he did not then he deserves the benefit of the doubt. But if he doesn't show up in Washington..............

34rancher
01-07-2008, 12:02 AM

As for suing, I am still to this day shocked that no one has sued:
:canseco
With the book he published (and another one on the way), and the accusations made, one would think that people would be salivating to go after him and his money. Amazing that not one suit has been filed. Who knew that Jose would be the most honest of them all? :?: Make me appreciate Frank all the more.

As for the Vioxx, I can testify that docs were handing them out like candy in the public sector too. My doctor was more than willing to give them to me for my knees. My mom was given them for her arthritis. Docs thought it truly was the wonder drug. I believe him on that one. But I too noticed that HGH was never brought up by Mike Wallace. I wonder if that was part of the interview terms...

HawkDJ
01-07-2008, 12:37 AM

A great Mythbusters episode showed it would be very difficult to beat a lie detector test, unless you're a trained professional at something like that.

DumpJerry
01-07-2008, 12:42 AM
A great Mythbusters episode showed it would be very difficult to beat a lie detector test, unless you're a trained professional at something like that.
A thumbtack in your finger can help you beat the machine.

I missed the segment since I knew I would get the full story here. My only question is did he explain his lousy cell phone service which keeps dropping his calls? I mean, with his $$$$ in the bank, you'd think he's have the top cell equipment.

Lorenzo Barcelo
01-07-2008, 12:48 AM
A thumbtack in your finger can help you beat the machine.

I thought they were able to detect the guy self inflicting pain on the wavelengths.

Fenway
01-07-2008, 12:48 AM
The piece on Bulger's guy was ****ing phenomenal.

Ya it was..... The old Winter Hill Garage they showed is very close to me.... In the 70's and 80's there wasn't a pinball machine, juke box, laundromat that these guys did not control.....anything that was CASH.

He admits to 20.....media here thinks it is closer to 50

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1064992

That was the best 60 Minutes in years

Wilkes this is background on him.....he looked harmless last night but back then
http://cache.boston.com/news/packages/whitey/images/characters_martorano.jpg
Martorano fled Boston and spent 16 years on the run. He was finally arrested in Florida in 1995 and indicted on additional charges of money laundering and extortion. Law enforcement agents revealed to Martorano that his former partners had been betraying him to the FBI for years; Bulger had even tipped authorities that the hitman was hiding out in Florida.

http://boston.com/news/packages/whitey/characters/martorano.htm

DumpJerry
01-07-2008, 01:04 AM
I thought they were able to detect the guy self inflicting pain on the wavelengths.
The wavelengths will be consistent. That is how it works. Also, for some people there is very little pain in this, but it gives them something to forcus their concentration on so that the wavelengths are consistent.

johnr1note
01-07-2008, 06:49 AM

The reason why lie detectors are considered "inexact" science and not acceptable for use in court testimony is not that a liar can get by undetected, but because of the high likelihood that someone telling the truth will appear to be lying because of overt nervousness. Its the "false positive" concept that makes them unreliable.

Fenway
01-07-2008, 07:34 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/01/07/gal_fp_01_07_2008.jpg (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/galleries/january_front_pages/january_front_pages.html?c=1)

The morning papers in the east are BRUTAL

NY DAILY NEWS
Rocket: Steroid use 'never happened' (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/06/2008-01-06_on_60_minutes_roger_clemens_says_steroid.html)

Roger Clemens assured Mike Wallace Sunday night on "60 Minutes" that he never used steroids and said Brian McNamee is a rat who lied about the Rocket to avoid jail after he was caught dealing drugs.

Lupica: Truth will set Rocket free (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/07/2008-01-07_whole_truth_is_only_way_roger_clemens_wi.html)
Raissman: Clemens strikes out against Wallace (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/07/2008-01-07_roger_clemens_strikes_out_as_mike_wallac.html)
Ex-FBI agent says Rocket's act shaky (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/01/07/2008-01-07_exfbi_agent_in_operation_equine_says_rog.html)B OSTON GLOBE
Dan Shaughnessy
Clemens tale hard to believe (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2008/01/07/clemens_tale_hard_to_believe)

After watching "60 Minutes," Roger Clemens looks dirty. It's an unfair conclusion, but that's what I came away with.

NY TIMES

The Interview George Mitchell Couldn’t Get (http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/the-interview-george-mitchell-couldnt-get/)

The union advised players not to talk to Mitchell, and besides Frank Thomas, no active players did.

“It was weird,” Thomas told Jack Curry of The Times last month. “The whole reason I did it was because I couldn’t believe other guys weren’t talking to him. I had nothing to hide.”

TORONTO STAR
Clemens stands his ground (http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Baseball/article/291593)
Former Blue Jays pitcher Roger Clemens got his say on 60 Minutes last

white sox bill
01-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Two things I'd like to know before "conviction" in this kangaroo court:

I thought Roger was a "tough guy". Was this tough guy afraid of needles? Your telling me Roger couldn't fill up a syringe and twist around, swap his Glut muscle with alcohol and inject himself like 95% of the users do? Its not like he was too muscle bound to do it.

Next he had his trainer inject GH? C'mon this is injected just like insulin, meaning its a sub Q (sub cutaneous, or under the skin as opposed to IM or Inter Muscular injection as for standard AAS). Sub Q's usually are injected in the fatty tissue in the naval area and use very tiny insulin tips. If Roger needed help with those, a wuss like that would be on the 15 day DL with a hangnail.

voodoochile
01-07-2008, 10:28 AM

Perhaps I misspoke...

How many people did they test? Lie detectors do have a high rate of correct results (~85-90% on a person to person basis), just not enough to be considered legally admissable because that threshold of results simply doesn't meet scientific scrutiny.

And again, someone with resources (I think Clemens could afford it) could practice lying while hooked up repeatedly and probably pass. Many lawyers have test givers at their disposal. I imagine Roger already has one scheduled with the friendly side.

voodoochile
01-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Two things I'd like to know before "conviction" in this kangaroo court:

I thought Roger was a "tough guy". Was this tough guy afraid of needles? Your telling me Roger couldn't fill up a syringe and twist around, swap his Glut muscle with alcohol and inject himself like 95% of the users do? Its not like he was too muscle bound to do it.

Next he had his trainer inject GH? C'mon this is injected just like insulin, meaning its a sub Q (sub cutaneous, or under the skin as opposed to IM or Inter Muscular injection as for standard AAS). Sub Q's usually are injected in the fatty tissue in the naval area and use very tiny insulin tips. If Roger needed help with those, a wuss like that would be on the 15 day DL with a hangnail.

Probably habit and comfort level. Guys making as much money as Roger does/did don't need to be doing their own injections. Teams may actually prefer it the other way around, but yeah, if you are going to do something stupid like cheat, it's a good idea to limit the witnesses.

white sox bill
01-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Do I think he's used? Yes, but there are holes in the trainers story, hence my injection objections (hey that rhymes!). Looking at his mannerism's during the hit and miss time I saw him, he seemed at relaxed but it seemed he struggled to be relaxed if that's possible. Ladies who saw the interview, you guys are masters at decoding body language, what is your take on this?

Fenway
01-07-2008, 11:21 AM
poll on boston.com

If Roger is trying to win the PR war....he is losing badly

Do you believe Roger?
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/polls/01_07_07_clemens/

Do you believe Roger Clemens when he tells "60 Minutes" that he never used steroids and the allegations against him are lies?
No ... the case against him is too strong; I think Clemens is the one who's lying. http://cache.boston.com/images/vote/red.gif 89.5%

Yes ... Clemens sounded genuine and believable. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. http://cache.boston.com/images/vote/blue.gif 10.5%

Total votes: 4658
Boston.com's surveys are not scientifically valid. They reflect the opinions of only those who vote. http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_arrow_icon.gifMore (http://www.boston.com/help/survey_info/)

white sox bill
01-07-2008, 01:56 PM
poll on boston.com

If Roger is trying to win the PR war....he is losing badly

Do you believe Roger?
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/polls/01_07_07_clemens/

Do you believe Roger Clemens when he tells "60 Minutes" that he never used steroids and the allegations against him are lies?
No ... the case against him is too strong; I think Clemens is the one who's lying. http://cache.boston.com/images/vote/red.gif 89.5%

Yes ... Clemens sounded genuine and believable. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. http://cache.boston.com/images/vote/blue.gif 10.5%

Total votes: 4658
Boston.com's surveys are not scientifically valid. They reflect the opinions of only those who vote. http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/File-Based_Image_Resource/dingbat_arrow_icon.gifMore (http://www.boston.com/help/survey_info/)

With all due respect Fenway, youre a great poster but isn't this some axe grinding between 2 rivals?

Fenway
01-07-2008, 02:58 PM
With all due respect Fenway, youre a great poster but isn't this some axe grinding between 2 rivals?

I admit that Bostonians have a strange relationship with Roger.....

Bill Simmons documented it well a few years ago

My bosses at Page 2 gave me a simple assignment this week: "Please explain to the world why Boston fans believe that Roger Clemens (http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1206543) might be the Antichrist."

With pleasure.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1206543 (http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?id=1206543)

But I don't think what is going on now has anything to do with it.

Still the issue of what hat he wears to Cooperstown is becoming moot because HE ISN'T GOING :angry:

Carolina Kenny
01-07-2008, 03:00 PM
****. Even Old Man Rooney is killin' tonight. "Could you imagine flying into Mitt Romney airport...or driving a Kucinich Continental."

Old Man Rooney is a embarressment. His comments were boarderline racist.
Obama Airport rolls off the tongue as easy as O'hare Airport does.

Note to Old Man Rooney- you are OLD and the world is changing. Get over it.