PDA

View Full Version : Brian Cashman admits he no longer has 'full authority'

Fenway
01-06-2008, 12:43 AM
He didn't sound happy about it either.

The dynamics are changing with us,” said Cashman, while serving on a panel discussion that also included Toronto Blue Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi, Red Sox adviser Bill James, agent Scott Boras, Hall of Fame writer Peter Gammons and Theo Epstein. “When I signed up with this current three-year deal, and this is the last year of it, it was with full authority to run the entire program. George (Steinbrenner, the Yankees’ owner) had given me that. But things have changed in this third year now with the emergence of Hal and Hank Steinbrenner and that started this winter.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1064862

Frater Perdurabo
01-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Good. I hope the Steinbrenners meddle a lot more and torpedo the organizations. Fewer things would please me more than to see the Yankees go on an extended steak of losing seasons.

Save McCuddy's
01-06-2008, 01:37 PM
It certainly looks like they go on an 80's type run where they can't get out of their own way -- It's a slim hope, but won't mean much to us now that Boston is firmly established.

doublem23
01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
It certainly looks like they go on an 80's type run where they can't get out of their own way -- It's a slim hope, but won't mean much to us now that Boston is firmly established.

I really don't know how "firmly" established the Red Sox are. The only reason they won the World Series this year is because the Indians completely choked away three chances to shut the door on Boston - and each of their two "aces" went up in flames. If the Tribe could win Game 5, 6, or 7, no one is talking about the looming Red Sox dynasty.

Plus, the best thing about the baseball play-offs is that it significantly reduces the chance that a team will go on an extended streak of World Series titles... The sheer craziness of the play-offs almost always means there will be a significant upset every year. Just off the top of my head, the best team in baseball didn't win the World Series in 2003, 2004, and 2006.

Save McCuddy's
01-06-2008, 02:54 PM
[quote=doublem23;1764728]I really don't know how "firmly" established the Red Sox are. The only reason they won the World Series this year is because the Indians completely choked away three chances to shut the door on Boston - and each of their two "aces" went up in flames. If the Tribe could win Game 5, 6, or 7, no one is talking about the looming Red Sox dynasty.[quote]

I didn't say anything about dynasty, but I'll stand by "firmly established". They've driven revenue to the point that their payroll is in the astronomic neighborhood of the Yankees. With young stars entrenched, a seemingly limitless bankroll and highly touted prospects, there is no reason why they won't be in position to seriously contend for the next 3-5 years.

gogosox16
01-06-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't see Cashman returning to the Yanks unless he is given all authority to run the team he wants. I could see him possibly reuniting with Joe Torre or something but then the Dodgers would have to fire their GM. I could see Cashman taking a break off of being a GM and working in the office for a team or something.

schmitty9800
01-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Sounds to me like Cashman is sending a message to Hank, "Back off or I walk".

I'm sure Hank will let him walk too and get a guy who'll defer to him.