PDA

View Full Version : Crede / PTBNL question

soxtalker
01-05-2008, 02:58 PM
I was reading through one of the other threads, and someone suggested a possible trade involving Crede and a PTBNL. I didn't want to divert that thread, but it did raise a question that I've thought about occasionally. Crede represents an interesting situation. If he rebounds well, he could be of considerable value to a team needing a third baseman. If he doesn't rebound well from his injury, he's a $5MM liability. The common reaction is that no one will trade much of value until he shows himself in ST. But, couldn't KW structure a trade in which the payback depends upon how well Crede rebounds while. Some of this could involve money, but couldn't it also involve a PTBNL? Have two sets of players that KW could choose, depending on some criteria that indicate whether Crede is rebounding well from his operation.

The Thomenator
01-05-2008, 03:17 PM
I was thinking the same, but the other way around on a similar matter. With all that Konerko to the Angels stuff, we could potentially trade a "PTBNL" along with Konerko. That player to be named later can be a Spring Training proven Joe Crede or someone else. Kenny's got some chips. I hope he plays his cards right.

cws05champ
01-05-2008, 04:06 PM
With the Swisher acqusition, I was thinking that trading Crede in the Spring may not be a forgone conclusion now. If Williams truely wants to win now, and he and the Sox get off to a good start at the begining of the season, then why would you trade Crede unless you get a monster return? With Crede's great defense at 3B next to OC, the left side is as tight defensively as there is....and if Crede hits like 2005/06.

I know people are going to reply to this and say Fields has already been promised 3B and he has to play fulltime in the majors now. I beleive this and I like Fields as a player...he has great potential. But if the Sox and Crede are going good offensively and defensively then it will be hard for the Sox to let Crede go. If Joe is Healthy and the Sox are competing...I'm all for Joe staying.

soxtalker
01-05-2008, 04:09 PM
One thing I don't know is how major league rules limit such deals -- maybe there are no restrictions, or maybe they can't be done.

The other issue, of course, is that it would take a very specific situation for another team to be willing to take on the risk (and probably have a back-up plan in place). But Crede's good enough that a team could be willing to strike a deal like this if the alternate choices at 3rd become limited.

soxtalker
01-05-2008, 04:22 PM
With the Swisher acqusition, I was thinking that trading Crede in the Spring may not be a forgone conclusion now. If Williams truely wants to win now, and he and the Sox get off to a good start at the begining of the season, then why would you trade Crede unless you get a monster return? With Crede's great defense at 3B next to OC, the left side is as tight defensively as there is....and if Crede hits like 2005/06.

I know people are going to reply to this and say Fields has already been promised 3B and he has to play fulltime in the majors now. I beleive this and I like Fields as a player...he has great potential. But if the Sox and Crede are going good offensively and defensively then it will be hard for the Sox to let Crede go. If Joe is Healthy and the Sox are competing...I'm all for Joe staying.

First, I started the thread more as an interesting -- almost academic -- question that Crede's unique situation poses.

Now, I do think that Crede is most likely going to be traded. There are just a lot of things that KW has said that point in that direction. However, as we've seen many times, KW can do anything. Hey, if he gets a terrific deal for Fields and can come up with a back-up plan in case Crede can't come back, it wouldn't be out of the question for Crede to be here. And it would be consistent with his statements that Fields would be playing third base. I think that it is less likely that they are both here.

Oblong
01-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm sure they could agree on an objective set of criteria, like games played, homers, innings, etc. Then they could have a player or list of players for scenario A or scenario B.

The problem is that PTBNL must be named within 6 months of the trade so this would only give them until June to figure out if Crede's completely healthy. Does that fit in with his timetable for recovery?

wilburaga
01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Bear in mind that a PTBNL cannot have played in the same league as the player he is being traded for. That's why PTBNLs are usually minor leaguers.

W

soxtalker
01-07-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm sure they could agree on an objective set of criteria, like games played, homers, innings, etc. Then they could have a player or list of players for scenario A or scenario B.

The problem is that PTBNL must be named within 6 months of the trade so this would only give them until June to figure out if Crede's completely healthy. Does that fit in with his timetable for recovery?

Interesting. As far as timetable is concerned, June might be ok. Crede's only signed for the year, so 1/3 to 1/2 of the season might be enough. If he still had multiple years left on the contract, I could see where a team might want to allow more time. Of course, if he had multiple years left on his contract, the Sox interest in moving him might be less.

Brian26
01-07-2008, 08:09 PM

I've been saying this all along. At this point in time, the best return you're going to get for Crede is to actually keep him for the rest of the season. You know he's gone at the end of the season anyway, so treat it like a one year rental and hope for good draft picks. Maybe Crede puts together a monster year and helps the Sox to the playoffs. Fields platoons w/ Quentin in LF and Thome at DH.

turners56
01-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I've been saying this all along. At this point in time, the best return you're going to get for Crede is to actually keep him for the rest of the season. You know he's gone at the end of the season anyway, so treat it like a one year rental and hope for good draft picks. Maybe Crede puts together a monster year and helps the Sox to the playoffs. Fields platoons w/ Quentin in LF and Thome at DH.

He has back problems...and his monster season is probably what he did in 2006. .280 30 homers 100 RBI, add a +-2-3 homers and +-10 RBI and that's where he probably maxes out.

balke
01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
He has back problems...and his monster season is probably what he did in 2006. .280 30 homers 100 RBI, add a +-2-3 homers and +-10 RBI and that's where he probably maxes out.

Not necessarily, his swing and play has shown he can do better than that. With the back problems, odds are against it, but Crede has always shown that potential to be a superstar.

Strong, good swing, contact, and lineouts. If he can make just a few more of those lineouts fall, he could be a +.300 hitter for a season with 35 hr's, and I don't think anyone on this board would be overly shocked to see it.