PDA

View Full Version : Tad bit of interesting seasons ticket data...

JackK
01-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Ok, so through a little bit of old fashioned chicago-style greasing of the wheels, Im pretty much at the top of list for new season's ticket holders. I (hope) i pretty much get one of the first calls after all of last year's seasons holders have renewed or not.

Last year, best we could get was section 154, row 30 something.

This year, just got to the call today, we are up to section 149, row 30 something. Same on the first base side. From 110 up to 114 this year.

So, it looks like the white sox lost 6x2 = 12 sections of seasons ticket holders?

Wow... thats a lot. Shows what a 72 win season does to guaranteed revenue for the sox.

itsnotrequired
01-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Your assesment of the situation is not at all close to reality.

Tekijawa
01-04-2008, 01:33 PM
My favorite part of the Season tickets this year will be that on certain games I'll get to see the Sox take batting practice!

skottyj242
01-04-2008, 01:43 PM
What are seasons tickets?

DumpJerry
01-04-2008, 02:39 PM
So, it looks like the white sox lost 6x2 = 12 sections of seasons ticket holders?
No. People might have moved to 200, 300, 400, and 500 level seating or moved to the outfield. They also could have made seats which were previously not designated for season tickets season ticket seats. This is not an indication of how the renewals went this year.

PalehosePlanet
01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
This year, just got to the call today, we are up to section 149, row 30 something. Same on the first base side. From 110 up to 114 this year.

HUH!? All this means is that certain seats opened up where people did not renew or themselves moved to another location. They gave you the option of moving closer to the plate because that is the exact location of available seats. It does not mean that all seats between Section 154 and 149, and all seats between sections 110 and 114, are empty/available. In fact they are full.

Also, FWIW, Bud Selig just last week stated that every team's season ticket sales are up from last year.

JackK
01-04-2008, 04:46 PM
No. People might have moved to 200, 300, 400, and 500 level seating or moved to the outfield.

If they moved to these sections, where did the people sitting there last year go then?

champagne030
01-04-2008, 05:06 PM
According to more than one person in the White Sox ticketing group, non-renewals have significantly outpaced new season ticket holders to this point.

chisoxmike
01-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Ok, so through a little bit of old fashioned chicago-style greasing of the wheels, Im pretty much at the top of list for new season's ticket holders. I (hope) i pretty much get one of the first calls after all of last year's seasons holders have renewed or not.

Wow... thats a lot. Shows what a 72 win season does to guaranteed revenue for the sox.

While I don't doubt the fact that many people canceled their season tickets, I think you're misleading yourself.

Frontman
01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
HUH!? All this means is that certain seats opened up where people did not renew or themselves moved to another location. They gave you the option of moving closer to the plate because that is the exact location of available seats. It does not mean that all seats between Section 154 and 149, and all seats between sections 110 and 114, are empty/available. In fact they are full.

Also, FWIW, Bud Selig just last week stated that every team's season ticket sales are up from last year.

Say what you will about Bud, but he's really increased baseball's following.

No teal.

Jason82807
01-04-2008, 07:51 PM

In 2006 I had 2 season tickets in sec. 111 row 17 (at the time it was labeled row 15). I thought that anything closer infield would be season ticket seats almost exclusively. However, I bought a group for 8/29/06 and 80% of the tickets were in sec. 112-114 & 150-152.

my point is that several of these good upgrades are the result of selling the good seats on a season ticket basis instead of on a single-game or group basis. I don't doubt for a second that cancellations exceed new STH sales, but this may be exaggerated.

raven1
01-04-2008, 09:08 PM
According to more than one person in the White Sox ticketing group, non-renewals have significantly outpaced new season ticket holders to this point.
Have the Sox released any actual data on their season ticket base, or is this all rumor & speculation? I hope they eventually release at least an overall number, since that would be a leading indicator of 2008 attendance & subsequently for 2009 & beyond team payroll.

After such a bad season, it would make sense to keep as much of the returning customer base happy by giving as many upgrades as possible & being flexible where they weren't before. I was able to move from a full season to 2 split plans & still got a nice upgrade (2 sections over, 3 rows forward in the upper deck). I would hope that this was due less to cancellations than to a release of available seats to reward returning ticketholders.

DumpJerry
01-04-2008, 10:38 PM
my point is that several of these good upgrades are the result of selling the good seats on a season ticket basis instead of on a single-game or group basis.
That is the point I was trying to make, but some people want to believe whatever they feel the truth is without considering there are alternative explanations.

By the way, my seats are in 112, nice neighborhood!

Fenway
01-04-2008, 11:05 PM

Wouldn't be hard to do in Miami
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/09/12/PH2007091202876.jpg

DumpJerry
01-04-2008, 11:07 PM
Wouldn't be hard to do in Miami
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/09/12/PH2007091202876.jpg
According to some local media people, this is what a "sold out" game at Comiskey looks like.

Frontman
01-05-2008, 12:26 AM
According to some local media people, this is what a "sold out" game at Comiskey looks like.

Those same media people keep thinking that Sox fans have "abandoned" their team due to two poor seasons.......

jabrch
01-05-2008, 12:37 AM
We all knew the season ticket base would fall a little bit. I don't think a few people moving is an indicator of 6 whole sections cancelling. I think that's serverely flawed logic. But I'm sure the Sox will have a lower number of tickets sold before Soxfest in 2008 than we did either in the winter or 2007 or 2006.

Big ****ing deal. I really didn't enjoy the bandwaggon jumpers who started showing up recently anyhow. I know - losing the revenue sucks because it impacts payroll - but hopefully we have a good season and make it back by the end.

Frontman
01-05-2008, 12:38 AM
We all knew the season ticket base would fall a little bit. I don't think a few people moving is an indicator of 6 whole sections cancelling. I think that's serverely flawed logic. But I'm sure the Sox will have a lower number of tickets sold before Soxfest in 2008 than we did either in the winter or 2007 or 2006.

Big ****ing deal. I really didn't enjoy the bandwaggon jumpers who started showing up recently anyhow. I know - losing the revenue sucks because it impacts payroll - but hopefully we have a good season and make it back by the end.

And if more of the fans that do "The Wave" stay away, all the better who come to watch the game.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2008, 12:41 AM
And if more of the fans that do "The Wave" stay away, all the better who come to watch the game.

I heard Nick Swisher is a big fan of the wave.

Frontman
01-05-2008, 12:44 AM

You're just trying to get a reaction out of me. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I want a fun crowd who knows the team, follows it, and is there for a good time watching baseball; not participating in group activities that a 5 year old would enjoy at Kindercare.

JackK
01-05-2008, 12:49 AM
I was able to move from a full season to 2 split plans & still got a nice upgrade (2 sections over, 3 rows forward in the upper deck). I would hope that this was due less to cancellations than to a release of available seats to reward returning ticketholders.

In order to "reward" you, the would have had to kick someone else out of those plans. The more likely explanation is that a lot of 2005 bandwagoners jumped ship...

itsnotrequired
01-05-2008, 12:50 AM

Seriously though, I want a fun crowd who knows the team, follows it, and is there for a good time watching baseball; not participating in group activities that a 5 year old would enjoy at Kindercare.

ketchup on hot dogs!

:happybday

DumpJerry
01-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Naw. He hasn't seen an epic rant from Jenn2080 in a while. That is what he is fishing for......

Save McCuddy's
01-05-2008, 11:50 AM
My ticket agent told me that the renewal rate was around 82%. That's a drop off from 98% renewal rate between '06 and '07.

BainesHOF
01-05-2008, 12:14 PM
That means we're probably in for roughly a 400,000 drop in attendance unless this team surprises by contending for much of the year.

whitesoxwilkes
01-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Naw. He hasn't seen an epic rant from Jenn2080 in a while. That is what he is fishing for......

I heard Swisher likes ****ing Geno's East ****ing **** pizza. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

DSpivack
01-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I heard Swisher likes ****ing Geno's East ****ing **** pizza. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Geno's East? Where's that?

BainesHOF
01-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Geno's East? Where's that?

It's east.

jenn2080
01-07-2008, 10:55 AM

Odd that you felt the reason to mention me about ranting about the wave. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88036&highlight=the+wave&page=3

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1581860&postcount=35

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72077&highlight=the+wave&page=2 Still dont consider this a rant.

This does not look like a rant to me. I do not like it, but I am pretty sure all I what I have said was not nearly as bad as anyone else *****ing about it.

Bob G
01-07-2008, 12:18 PM
My ticket agent told me that the renewal rate was around 82%. That's a drop off from 98% renewal rate between '06 and '07.

According to my ticket rep the renewal rate was 87%. The best the seats you can get if you have a split season plan (like I do) is section 148 for the third base side - which is full. I'm in section 149 right now so I couldn't get much better.

pdimas
01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Our row for one lost 4 full season ticket holders...two different accounts..

We renewed for the upcoming year.

itsnotrequired
01-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Odd that you felt the reason to mention me about ranting about the wave. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88036&highlight=the+wave&page=3

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1581860&postcount=35

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72077&highlight=the+wave&page=2 Still dont consider this a rant.

This does not look like a rant to me. I do not like it, but I am pretty sure all I what I have said was not nearly as bad as anyone else *****ing about it.

I noticed you got banned in tha third thread.

:rolling:

skottyj242
01-07-2008, 02:02 PM
Our row for one lost 4 full season ticket holders...two different accounts..

We renewed for the upcoming year.

But you picked one up, doesn't that count?

spiffie
01-11-2008, 07:25 PM
One thing I've noticed is that even though I didn't contact the Sox to renew my tickets, nor have I sent in any cash, I just got an invoice saying that if I pay the full amount for my split season tickets by 2/1 that they're still mine. I don't know if they just haven't sold them and so its worth seeing if I still want them, or if they haven't been released yet into the general pool, but it seems like it would not really be possible to fully gauge the situation until at least next month.