PDA

View Full Version : Who exactly are the "SEVEN" power hitting corners?

Frontman
01-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Since this is a favorite mantra of those who are YET AGAIN not happy with a move Kenny Williams has made, I took a look at the roster. Precisely who are these seven "power hitters?"

Ok, Jermaine Dye; I got that. Who else is a "power hitting corner?" Carlos Quentin, with his 14 home runs in two seasons? Probably not. Nick Swisher? Ok, I'll give that one as well, but I have a feeling he's going to be the CF on opening day. Sweeney is gone. Fields? Pablo Ozuna (yeah, right.) I love this soundbyte as it were that many have caught onto, but I'm just not seeing the "log jam"(yesterday folks are saying we still don't have a starting outfield, but now we have a log jam. Sure.) of "power hitters" as our "corner" outfielders.

I just would like to see the seven names so I know exactly where this number came from.

btrain929
01-04-2008, 01:09 AM
1) Dye
2) Swisher
3) Quentin
4) Crede
5) Fields
6) Konerko
7) Thome?

It said corners, not corner OF'ers. So there's six for sure.

WhiteSox5187
01-04-2008, 01:44 AM
1) Dye
2) Swisher
3) Quentin
4) Crede
5) Fields
6) Konerko
7) Thome?

Ding ding ding ding!!!!

Yea, traditionallly you look for power from the corner and speed from up the middle (with the exception of catcher, obviously). We have seven power hitters from the corner and with the addition of Swisher we potentially have a lot of power from CF...we do have a bit of speed in Richar (but can he get on??) and Cabrera (though he is not the prototypical leadoff hitter).

LITTLE NELL
01-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Our starting lineup should hit a bunch of HRS;
As of now LF Fields 30HRS
CF Swisher 25HRS
RF Dye 30HRS
3B Crede 20HRS
SS Cabrerra 10HRS
2B Richar 5HRS
1B Konerko 30HRS
C AJ 15 HRS
DH Thome 30HRS
Thats 195 from just the starters, add 25 more from the bench and its 220HRS
Of course this could change if we trade Crede and put Fields at 3rd and Quentin in Left.
With one more stud in the rotation this team most surely can contend.

gobears1987
01-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Our starting lineup should hit a bunch of HRS;
As of now LF Fields 30HRS
CF Swisher 25HRS
RF Dye 30HRS
3B Crede 20HRS
SS Cabrerra 10HRS
2B Richar 5HRS
1B Konerko 30HRS
C AJ 15 HRS
DH Thome 30HRS
Thats 195 from just the starters, add 25 more from the bench and its 220HRS
Of course this could change if we trade Crede and put Fields at 3rd and Quentin in Left.
That is low-balling it too as Thome, Konerko, and Dye are each capable of reaching 40 with no problem. Who knows what Fields can do in a full season. We have seen how well he did in 4 months.

HRs aren't everything of course as we learned from 2001-2004. However, if you have guys like Swisher who can get on first, then you can really do some damage.

Frontman
01-04-2008, 10:14 AM
1) Dye
2) Swisher
3) Quentin
4) Crede
5) Fields
6) Konerko
7) Thome?

Thanks for clearing that up, but I think its a reach to consider Quentin a power hitter just yet; and who knows if Crede will even be able to play again.

I still don't see the "log jam" sans the Fields/Crede and the Cabrerra/Uribe situation. We still don't have a full roster of position players, as I don't see Richar advancing further just yet with his game; we're not entirely certain if Quentin will be good to go.

Don't get me wrong, I'm much more positive about this team's chances this morning as I was yesterday morning, as Swisher is an upgrade from Owens/Podsednik; but there are still questions about this team and how it will improve from last year.

jabrch
01-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Lots of HRs...goodie!

CashMan
01-04-2008, 10:37 AM
That is low-balling it too as Thome, Konerko, and Dye are each capable of reaching 40 with no problem.

Like last year?

mjmcend
01-04-2008, 11:53 AM

Where is that person going to come from?

DSpivack
01-04-2008, 01:13 PM
The Magnificent Seven
1- Yul Brynner
2-Steve McQueen
3-Charles Bronson
4-James Colburn
5-Robert Vaughn
6-Brad Dexter
7-Horst Buchholz

Too bad the Seven Samurai play for the Mariners.

batmanZoSo
01-04-2008, 01:45 PM
1) Dye
2) Swisher
3) Quentin
4) Crede
5) Fields
6) Konerko
7) Thome?

Right. What's this thread about? :?:

"Corners" refers to the positions of LF, RF, 3B, 1B.

Okay, Quentin may not exactly be the next Manny Ramirez, but he's not the next Pods either. He's here to hit. Everyone else on that list is no stranger to the long ball.

The problem with KW is he signed a 1B to play CF and we have two SS and no solution at second. I have high hopes for Ramirez though, and I liked the Cabrera deal.

schmitty9800
01-04-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm not that excited about Quentin at all, I think he really needs to stick as a CF. I don't think Swisher will be able to play there. So far Jerry Owens has hit better than Quentin in the bigs (.230/.316/.425 for Q, .268/.324/.315 for O) so it'll be up to Quentin to step it up in the spring.

I'm sure some people are worried about the ole "clogging the bases" meme but I really think it's a myth. The way to avoid GIDPs is to simply hit better, having faster runners on doesn't make a difference. (Swisher and Quentin both have good speed anyways)