PDA

View Full Version : What does the Swisher deal mean for the draft?

JermaineDye05
01-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Now that Kenny has traded the two top pitching prospects in the organization, does this mean the sox will look to pick up a pitcher in this years draft? With the acquisitions of Quentin and Swisher, the outfield looks good for the near future. You have Fields at 3rd with Cabrera at short and the possibility of Ramirez to go in if Orlando walks after this year. So do you think after this trade, this pretty much guarantees the White Sox will draft a starter in the first round?

California Sox
01-03-2008, 08:16 PM
You don't spend the #8 pick in the MLB draft to fill a need. You take best available. Or in the case of the Sox, "best available that isn't repped by Boras and is willing to sign at/below slot." So yeah, another college pitcher.

southsideirish71
01-06-2008, 03:40 AM
You don't spend the #8 pick in the MLB draft to fill a need. You take best available. Or in the case of the Sox, "best available that isn't repped by Boras and is willing to sign at/below slot." So yeah, another college pitcher.

Well Kenny already drafted Jordan Danks before, likes him and his family, traded for his brother and he will be available in this draft. Its a complete overdraft at the number 8 position, but dont be overly shocked if Jordan Danks is redrafted. When Kenny wants his guy, he will get him.

JohnTucker0814
01-06-2008, 10:09 AM
With the amount of time it takes for a baseball prospect to get to the major leagues I believe you should NEVER draft for need. Knowing how hard it is to get a player to get to the majors I think you should take the best available player talent wise when you draft. If you project that we need a SS, I would not take the highest rated SS if there is a higher rated OF or P... IMHO

Randar68
01-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Probably. Agree though, never draft for need (at least in the early rounds)

batmanZoSo
01-07-2008, 03:42 PM
You don't pass up Barry Bonds unless Kurt Brown is available. Other than that you take the best guy possible and worry about "making room" for him later.

California Sox
01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Probably. Agree though, never draft for need (at least in the early rounds)

Haven't seen you post here in a while. Good to have you back.

BadBobbyJenks
01-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Whats the story on I am drawing blank on the name, I think its Beckham a highschool shortstop I remember hearing a lot about. Is he a top 5 pick that has no chance of falling to the sox?

PalehosePlanet
01-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Whats the story on I am drawing blank on the name, I think its Beckham a highschool shortstop I remember hearing a lot about. Is he a top 5 pick that has no chance of falling to the sox?

His name is Tim Beckham (Georgia HS product) and as of now is the top rated high school player according to BA. If he keeps progressing in '08 I would imagine we'd need alot of luck to see him available at #8. Also we would have to offer big time money to prevent him from going to Miami, Florida State or LSU.