PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons chat transcript

Fenway
01-03-2008, 01:21 PM
boston.com just had an online chat with Gammons who is of course promoting his rock concert this weekend

While of course it tilts with Boston questions he makes some comments about Roger

Peter, been a fan of yours since your notes page with the Boston Globe. I am sure you have been asked many times before, but do you believe Roger Clemens' denial of steriods/HGH use?

Peter_Gammons
It's hard for me to understand why McNamee would lie. Especially given the fact that Andy Pettitte has coroborated McNamee's testimony. There are those close to Roger who insist that in time, his innocence will be proven, so we all wait for that. But for now, we have to see if he can prove his innocence which won't happen if all they do is attack McNamee.

and he takes a swipe at Oakland ( and Texas )

Hi Peter, love your stuff! Any truth to the rumor that you're planning on writing the forward to Jose Canseco's book sequel?

Peter_Gammons
Haaaa... There is no truth to that, however, I'm the first one to admit, that while there were inconsistencies in his first book, he has the right to say "I told you so." One of the unfortunate shortcomings of the Mitchell Report is that it did not trace the pattern of performance-enhancing drugs through Oakland and Texas, not to mention the huge importation of drugs from Latin America.

entire transcript
http://chats.boston.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?nav=auditorium&webtag=bc-sportsmain

Save McCuddy's
01-05-2008, 11:34 AM
The Oakland/Texas pipeline was sorely overlooked. I found it humoroyus this morning while re-reading "Moneyball", that Beane's theory on good prospect hitters being able to develop power found its vindication in Giambi. Guess he left out a significant factor in that "development".

Bucky F. Dent
01-05-2008, 12:21 PM
Say what you will about the fact that Gammons is a shill for the Red Sox, and that his uber lust for the organization makes him a less than appropriate "national" commentator for ESPN; but there is not a single member of the Chicago media that can give as intelligent and in-depth an analysis of either the Sox or the Flubs as Gammons provides of the Red Sox.

Shoot, you could probably mind meld a couple of them and still not be able to match Gammons knowledge of all things Sawx.

ilsox7
01-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Say what you will about the fact that Gammons is a shill for the Red Sox, and that his uber lust for the organization makes him a less than appropriate "national" commentator for ESPN; but there is not a single member of the Chicago media that can give as intelligent and in-depth an analysis of either the Sox or the Flubs as Gammons provides of the Red Sox.

Shoot, you could probably mind meld a couple of them and still not be able to match Gammons knowledge of all things Sawx.

Peter is one of the few baseball writes I like and respect. Sure, he has written some bull**** stuff, but so would anyone else in that position. Overall, his information is top notch and his writing coherent. He also gave a nice tribute to the Sox in 2005.

laxtonto
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Considering that the Mitchel report was handcuffed by who they where recieivig their info from, it makes some since that they dont have atleast some hard info to put into the mitchel report. The "dealer" for Oak was busted and prospecuted years ago nad so far there has been no one that has been busted in Texas as a distributor.

I have faith that those dominoes will all fall in time though.

:)

Daver
01-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Considering that the Mitchel report was handcuffed by who they where recieivig their info from, it makes some since that they dont have atleast some hard info to put into the mitchel report. The "dealer" for Oak was busted and prospecuted years ago nad so far there has been no one that has been busted in Texas as a distributor.

Can someone please post a translation of this when they have time?

DumpJerry
01-06-2008, 12:23 AM

:)

Can someone please post a translation of this when they have time?
What he is trying to say that the report's credibilty is based on Mitchell's VORP rating for the 2006 season when taking into account the wind speed and direction on odd-numbered Tuesdays when the crows were flying north. Except, of course, when one accounts for Mitchell's OBP during the fourth week of June, 2003, when he faced six Cy Young candidates and he was robbed when a shortstop jumped in the air with perfect timing to snag a line drive while 10 year old Timmy sank his teeth into a hot dog in Section 145. This has caused the report to be accurate within the Standard Deviation normally found in Swedish horse breeding studies.

Is it clear(er) now?