PDA

View Full Version : Sox plans for Alexei Ramirez

gogosox16
01-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Scott Merkin expects Ramirez to be bench guy and provide a battle at center and 2nd this ST. He also believes that he is a back up plan in case if Orlando Cabrera walks after this year.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080102&content_id=2337802&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Billy Ashley
01-02-2008, 03:46 PM
It would be great if he could win the center field job, that's where the White Sox need the most help for 08.

soxwon
01-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Starting CF and Rookie Of The Year.

gogosox16
01-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Starting CF and Rookie Of The Year.
That would be nice, Merkin says he would on the bench as a super utility role. I think we already got one of them in Ozuna and it would hurt Ramirez's development. I think if he doesn't win a starting job he is better off starting in AAA so he can get consistent playing time and develope.

soxrme
01-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Unless he is an exceptional talent, he only played 90 games last year and should probable start the year in the minors. We already are penciling in a guy who couldn't crack the Diamondback lineup as our full time left fielder. Hell of a plan!

gogosox16
01-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Unless he is an exceptional talent, he only played 90 games last year and should probable start the year in the minors. We already are penciling in a guy who couldn't crack the Diamondback lineup as our full time left fielder. Hell of a plan!
He was hurt throughout the whole season, and he was playing with the injury and then he had surgery.

SoxNation05
01-02-2008, 04:11 PM
He was hurt throughout the whole season, and he was playing with the injury and then he had surgery.
Not to mention the D-Backs OFs, Upton, Byrnes, and Chris F. Young.

gogosox16
01-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Not to mention the D-Backs OFs, Upton, Byrnes, and Chris F. Young.
seriously, that is going to be one hell of an outfield, even with Byrnes getting older, they got a 20 year old that is going to be a super star, and a 24 year old that will hit 30 homers every year. This team is looking very solid in the outfield for many years.

Billy Ashley
01-02-2008, 04:20 PM
seriously, that is going to be one hell of an outfield, even with Byrnes getting older, they got a 20 year old that is going to be a super star, and a 24 year old that will hit 30 homers every year. This team is looking very solid in the outfield for many years.

Still think there is a decent chance that Quentin ends up having the best career of Eric Bynes, Upton and Young. Of those players, only Upton had a better amateur and minor league pedigree, Byrnes is actually a fairly mediocre hitter and Young has some serous contact issues and probably wonít ever have an OBP over .335. Upton is a stud prospect of course, and while that outfield is sure to be tremendous defensively, Iím not sold on it being a great offensive outfield.

gogosox16
01-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Still think there is a decent chance that Quentin ends up having the best career of Eric Bynes, Upton and Young. Of those players, only Upton had a better amateur and minor league pedigree, Byrnes is actually a fairly mediocre hitter and Young has some serous contact issues and probably wonít ever have an OBP over .335. Upton is a stud prospect of course, and while that outfield is sure to be tremendous defensively, Iím not sold on it being a great offensive outfield.
Well they have a lot of potential to be a good offensive outfield.

Foulke You
01-02-2008, 06:06 PM
Still think there is a decent chance that Quentin ends up having the best career of Eric Bynes, Upton and Young. Of those players, only Upton had a better amateur and minor league pedigree, Byrnes is actually a fairly mediocre hitter and Young has some serous contact issues and probably won’t ever have an OBP over .335.
I agree with this statement. Quentin seems to have the best upside of the bunch on offense and defense. He is definitely going to get a chance to prove it on the Sox next year. I really think Quentin could be one of those moves you look back on as one of the bigger steals of the offseason providing he can stay healthy. It's time for him to live up to the potential of being rated the #20 overall prospect in baseball.

Your statement about Byrnes is right on the money. I've always felt he was way overrated last year. You'd be hard pressed to find another guy who benefited more from switching to the weaker NL than Eric Byrnes. All you need to do is take a look at the numbers Byrnes put up in Oakland with regular playing time before suddenly feasting on inferior NL pitching with the D'backs.

Sockinchisox
01-02-2008, 06:09 PM
I'll be stunned if Ramirez cracks the 25 man out of spring training, they should keep him in Charlotte for half a season or full season to see what he can do against that level of pitching.

Tragg
01-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Question about Merkin on mlb.com.

Is that just a house organ, or is it an unaffiliated independent news site?

Lip Man 1
01-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Scott doesn't have to get permission for anything he writes on White Sox.com (he's the beat writer for the club via MLB.com) but he usually does tend to take the most 'optimistic' / 'positive' spin on any situation.

I don't begrudge him that... after all he has to work with these people and if he comes down to hard on the franchise or on any individuals they could make it very difficult for him to do his job.

Lip

batmanZoSo
01-02-2008, 10:37 PM
MLB.com is all sunshine for each team site. Meh..

As for Ramirez, I like the signing. It could pay huge dividends as he could be our starting CF or middle IF for the next several years. At worst, he should be a solid utility man to have for all middle positions. And for any scenario, his salary ranges from complete steal to league average.

soxfanreggie
01-02-2008, 11:24 PM
I would hope he's given a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere. If he isn't ready, I would agree with starting him at AAA to play every day. I'm not sure if we need another Pablo Ozuna on the roster. However, if he or Ramirez can win a starting OF job, more power to them.

btrain929
01-02-2008, 11:47 PM
I would hope he's given a chance to compete for a starting job somewhere. If he isn't ready, I would agree with starting him at AAA to play every day. I'm not sure if we need another Pablo Ozuna on the roster. However, if he or Ramirez can win a starting OF job, more power to them.

Pablo Ozuna winning a starting OF job? :?:

gogosox16
01-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Pablo Ozuna winning a starting OF job? :?:
exactly what I thought when reading that post