PDA

View Full Version : Remember 77

misty60481
01-02-2008, 06:45 AM
I know a lot of you are to young to remember the Sox team in 77, they had one of the worst teams in baseball in 76. So Veeck had no money to speak of, so he mainly just picked up spare parts and told the men he aquired that they shouldnt look forward to 78 because he wouldnt have the money to re-sign most of them. He traded Bucky Dent to NY for Oscar Gamble and Lamar Hoyt-( wish we could find a deal like that ), he traded Bill Melton to Angels for Jim Spencer, got Gator Garr the year before from Braves and picked up Richie Zisk from Pirates for Gossage and Forester, ( was good trade for 1 year ). Picked up Solderholm on FA. Them hired Bob Lemon-and old pro who was very low key and told them go have fun that most wouldnt be back next year. It worked for most of year, Garr and Gamble both free spirits (remember he could hardly get his batting helmit over his afro ), with Lemons low key approach everybody just had fun and it was one of the best years I ever enjoyed as a Sox fan, we competed for a lot of the year. I know guys just basically went to the plate and swung for the fences, this is something that I would like to see this coming year-, we seem to be so tense that nobody enjoys playing, I think a lot of that is KWs fault, Ive never seen him that he didnt look on edge. Pick up a couple of old sluggers who have been around and know they dont have many years left and have Ozzie have at it. In my opinion the looser they are the better they play.

DumpJerry
01-02-2008, 06:52 AM
The summer of '77 was one the most exciting ones I've had as a Sox fan. That four game series where we swept the Twins July 1-3 (DH on 7-3) made it feel like we were a one baseball-team town.

Bucky F. Dent
01-02-2008, 07:03 AM
I was ten years old in '77, it was the greatest baseball season of my life, bar none.

I went to Comiskey probably a dozen times that year, it was awesome!!!!

misty60481
01-02-2008, 08:17 AM
didnt it seem like everybody had fun that summer ? I know I went to more games that year than any other year, it felt like everybody at the park was really having fun. I can remember thinking we were never out of a game, somebody would hit one out in the late innings and the fun would start.

tebman
01-02-2008, 08:53 AM
didnt it seem like everybody had fun that summer ?

That's my memory of '77. I was working a 6-day week then while going to school at night, so we were only able to get to four games that season. But I followed every game on the radio and the Sox won all four of my games. It was a party all summer as my Sox-fan friends and I whooped it up.

Even in the last month of the season when it was clear that it was not going to be a Cinderella year after all, the games were still fun. It was a good vibe and a great time to be alive. I think we all knew that it couldn't last but we enjoyed the moment while we had it.

Gammons Peter
01-02-2008, 08:57 AM
I turned 12 that summer, It was the year that I really became a huge fan. Alan Bannister #7 was one of my favorites. (what a terrible SS)

Bucky F. Dent
01-02-2008, 09:56 AM
There seemed to me to be no louder more thrilling sound in the world than the combination of the roaring crowd, the pounding fireworks, and Nancy's organ cranking up "Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah..." as the opposing pitcher was walking off the mound having been pulled by his manager after Zisk cranked a late inning homerun.:D:

DumpJerry
01-02-2008, 10:06 AM
In some ways, 1977 was more exciting than 2005. What the team did that year (occupy First Place longer than anyone else in the AL) was totally unexpected since up to that year, the team sucked eggs. Also, be 15 years old (me in 1977) somehow allowed me to be more carefree in your enjoyment of what was going on than in 2005 when we knew The Prize was within reach.

Added to the excitement of 1977 was the fact that the Cubs occupied First Place longer than anyone else in the NL that year making the first real meeting of the two teams in our lifetimes a real possibility (this was before the onset of interleague play). Back then, the Cubs and Sox would play each other in a charity exhibition game where the Cubs would play their regular players and the Sox would bring up a bunch of AAA guys. The Sox would usually win.

chisoxmike
01-02-2008, 10:10 AM
I'd rather have a team that goes to the playoffs.

Bucky F. Dent
01-02-2008, 10:25 AM
I'd rather have a team that goes to the playoffs.

I would too, but when I was 10 years old in '77, what went on at Comiskey was my world. I was 38 in '05 and had a few more things on my plate than I did when I was 10.:D:

kba
01-02-2008, 11:09 AM
He traded Bucky Dent to NY for Oscar Gamble and Lamar Hoyt-( wish we could find a deal like that )

The motivation for that deal was Veeck's desperate need to raise money. He had originally agreed to trade Dent to the Yankees for Gamble and $500,000 cash. Gamble was coming off a terrible year in New York (.232, 17 HR), and was little more than a token throw-in to what was essentially a cash deal. Commissioner Bowie Kuhn vetoed the deal; he said too much money was changing hands. So Veeck agreed to accept $275,000 cash, and the Yankees agreed to throw in a couple of obscure minor leaguers - Bob Polinsky and LaMarr Hoyt.

It ended up being one of the most significant trades in Sox history ... and I suspect the Yankees were satisfied that they got their money's worth as well.

slavko
01-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Pick up a couple of old sluggers who have been around and know they dont have many years left and have Ozzie have at it. In my opinion the looser they are the better they play.

Got too many of these right now.

misty60481
01-02-2008, 11:20 AM
We tanked again in 78, we lost Zisk, Gamble to free agency Garr hung around for another year but wasnt very productive, Solderholm stayed another year or two but we couldnt capture the magic of 77. Bob Lemon only lasted half a year in 78. Why couldnt 08 be like that year, everybody loosen up, Ozzie would be a good manager for something like that, I dont know about KW, he would half to change, loose that know-it-all attitude.

Zisk77
01-02-2008, 01:30 PM
77' was my first year of watching baseball (7 yrs.old). I was hooked for life. I miss Old Comiskey. :whiner:

LITTLE NELL
01-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I tore my ACL that year and was casted from my hip to my toes, I was really depressed until the Sox turned 77 into a magic year. Its too bad the season was 6 months long. If we could have won the 2nd game of that late August Sunday DH against the Royals I believe we would have really demoralized KC and we would have held on to win the division. That 1st game of the DH was one of the greatest victories in Sox history, 50,000 fans went bonkers.

PalehosePlanet
01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
77' was my first year of watching baseball (7 yrs.old). I was hooked for life. I miss Old Comiskey. :whiner:

I had been a fan already for a few years but that year I became a true die-hard. That's the year the curtain call born and the na-na-hey-hey tradition started (one of the best, if not thee best tradition in all of baseball.)

As you say: Hooked for life. And I too miss old Comiskey.

billcissell
01-02-2008, 02:24 PM
If you're nostalgic for '77 once again, pick up Dan Helpingstine's book that chronicles that magical season. I got it for Christmas and it brought back some bittersweet memories of that year.

It's a quick read, and it even quotes our very own WSI resident expert Lip in a few places. I believe it's titled "The South Side Hitmen of 1977". (I don't have the book in front of me right now.)

The book includes many great photos along with the author's thoughts as to why the team fell apart down the stretch (average pitching, poor defense, a red-hot KC club, etc.). He even goes into detail about how the Royals
just couldn't stand coming to Comiskey and dealing with all the grandstanding by Sox players after a home run, etc.

Excluding our championship run a few years back, 1977 may have been the most fun I ever had at the old ball yard.

BainesHOF
01-02-2008, 03:13 PM
If we could have won the 2nd game of that late August Sunday DH against the Royals I believe we would have really demoralized KC and we would have held on to win the division. That 1st game of the DH was one of the greatest victories in Sox history, 50,000 fans went bonkers.

I think you could be right.

I was at that doubleheader. I never heard Comiskey louder than when we won that first game after the Kansas City left fielder (Quirk?) misplayed a ball. The place was literally shaking. Veeck sold as many tickets as possible to that doubleheader. People were standing and sitting everywhere, including the aisles and even the ramps on each side of the scoreboard.

Man, that was one heck of a fun year. It came out of nowhere, too. That was half the fun. I still remember hearing "Na na, hey hey, goodbye" being played early in the season on TV and trying to figure out what everyone was singing. The enthusiam swelled from the grassroots level. Nothing was manufactured. The excitement was pure. Comiskey crackled with energy that summer.

October26
01-02-2008, 03:25 PM
In 1977, I was a 13 year old teenager who loved my White sox (I'm a bit older now, but still feel the same way). I remember that I would listen to games at night on my trusty old transistor radio (much to my parent's dismay). My dad worked two factory jobs, so we could only attend games on Sundays (if there was money available and if he had the day off). My mom would pack brown bag lunches for us and off we went. To me, going to Comiskey Park was a tremendous thrill. My dad taught me to keep score in 1975 and so by 1977, I was an old pro. My dad would check my scorecard at the end of games to see if it was neat and if he could read back the plays of the game! I still have some of those old scorecards and though they are much faded, I enjoy looking back at them sometimes. Despite the fact that the '77 season ended in disappointment, it was one of the many building blocks that made 2005 so very sweet for me and all White Sox fans!

Oldfellah
01-02-2008, 03:32 PM
One of my favorite years as well.. Richie Zisk became my favorite at the time because I was a kid who he took time out to sign a ball for me!! I watched #44 the rest of the year is awe... The term "South Side Hit Men" is correct... They slugged the crap out of the ball and alot of teams... Very fond memories being able to go to alot of home games with my Brother as we'd walk to the park and get in after the 7th inning stretch,,(guys working the gates were awesome) sit anywhere, (Which was usually lower box seats right against the wall) and 99% of the time,, the ushers could care less that we did that. Ahhh, the memories!!! Lots of showers that decade!!!

duke of dorwood
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM
There was lots of fun that year-lots of Max Patkin-in the coaches box and other antics. I remember Fan Appreciation day when Richie Zisk dumped a bucket on Patkin-

A year I'd love to experience again-just outhit everyone.

SportsPg
01-03-2008, 08:55 AM

I was 7 as well and this team is the reason that I am a White Sox fan. I was born and raised in Evanston, a bastion of Cubs fans and for whatever reason Chet Lemon, Ralph Garr, Richie Zisk, Oscar Gamble, Eric Soderholm, Alan Bannister etc. etc. hooked me and that was that. A north side White Sox fan was born.

Cool side story. Out of my rat pack of Evanston friends, only one of them was a White Sox fan as well, basically for the same reasons as I was. The rest of them were all Cubs fans. When the Sox made the World Series, I was desperate for tickets at a reasonable price. My wife came through with a work connection & got two tickets to game one for $300 apiece. Guess who came with me? My same Evanston White Sox buddy. That was a great day. I have a great 2005 World Series collage on my wall in the family room including my game ticket and a great picture of my buddy and I at the game. I smile pretty much every time I look at it :smile: Life is good, despite the miserable 2007 season :?:

kittle42
01-03-2008, 09:54 AM
If you're nostalgic for '77 once again, pick up Dan Helpingstine's book that chronicles that magical season.

Not to dump on everyone's nostalgia, but only in Chicago do we have "magical" seasons that involve teams not winning a damn thing.

Fenway
01-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I think the 77 season saved the White Sox from being moved to another city. I'm sure JR and Einhorn saw the potential of how strong White Sox fan support could be.

It proved the fanbase was still there and just needed a reason to go to Comiskey.

I know some people knock Veeck for the way he operated the second time around but the reality was HE HAD NO MONEY. Bill was not a rich man and he was pretty much dead broke after his fiasco running Suffolk Downs in Boston.

If Veeck had not come along the White Sox would be in Toronto, Denver or Timbucktoo and Charlie Finley would have moved the A's from Oakland to his hometown. There is no escaping that fact.

DumpJerry
01-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Not to dump on everyone's nostalgia, but only in Chicago do we have "magical" seasons that involve teams not winning a damn thing.
You ahd to be there. Really. You had to be there. It was much more exciting than 2005 in some ways because they came out of nowhere unlike the '05 squad.

Hitmenof77
01-03-2008, 11:02 AM
If you're nostalgic for '77 once again, pick up Dan Helpingstine's book that chronicles that magical season. I got it for Christmas and it brought back some bittersweet memories of that year.

It's a quick read, and it even quotes our very own WSI resident expert Lip in a few places. I believe it's titled "The South Side Hitmen of 1977". (I don't have the book in front of me right now.)

The book includes many great photos along with the author's thoughts as to why the team fell apart down the stretch (average pitching, poor defense, a red-hot KC club, etc.). He even goes into detail about how the Royals
just couldn't stand coming to Comiskey and dealing with all the grandstanding by Sox players after a home run, etc.

Excluding our championship run a few years back, 1977 may have been the most fun I ever had at the old ball yard.

Speaking of books, isn't there a picture book from the 77 season? I think the book is an oversized, coffee table book.

Fenway
01-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Speaking of books, isn't there a picture book from the 77 season? I think the book is an oversized, coffee table book.

Yes...proud owner of it.

WSI has a feature on it

http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Elliott/ParkLife1977.htm

LITTLE NELL
01-03-2008, 11:24 AM
You have a point but 77 was more fun than the 93 and 2000 seasons when we won the division and went nowhere in the playoffs.

Lip Man 1
01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Gang:

Remember to read the WSI Interviews with guys like Wilbur Wood, Eric Soderholm, Bart Johnson and Chet Lemon for more on the 1977 season.

Lip

Grobber33
01-03-2008, 12:55 PM
In some ways, 1977 was more exciting than 2005. What the team did that year (occupy First Place longer than anyone else in the AL) was totally unexpected since up to that year, the team sucked eggs. Also, be 15 years old (me in 1977) somehow allowed me to be more carefree in your enjoyment of what was going on than in 2005 when we knew The Prize was within reach.

Added to the excitement of 1977 was the fact that the Cubs occupied First Place longer than anyone else in the NL that year making the first real meeting of the two teams in our lifetimes a real possibility (this was before the onset of interleague play). Back then, the Cubs and Sox would play each other in a charity exhibition game where the Cubs would play their regular players and the Sox would bring up a bunch of AAA guys. The Sox would usually win.

Hate to spoil your fantasy,but the Cubs and Sox did NOT play at all between 1973 and 1984. The Boys Benefit Game ended in 1972(Cubs win)and the Cross Town Classic started in 1985(Sox win).
That said,1977 was indeed a blast on both sides of town.Both in first at the AS Break,but both faded(to the Royals and Phils).

To hear Hal McRae complain about Sox Players tipping their caps after Home Runs(1st team to do that), Bill Veeck break up an Upper Deck Brawl during a Comiskey Double Header with KC, and Ralph Garr say the Sox have something planned for their upcoming trip to KC, check out cuts 2,4 & 6 on the page in this link.
http://www.grobber.net/index.php?name=Downloads&req=viewdownload&cid=1

eastchicagosoxfan
01-03-2008, 06:56 PM
I was nine in 1977. I was at the game Jim Spencer had eight RBI's. I think he hit a grand slam. I can still recall the electricity. It was the Little League's annual bus trip to Sox park. We heard Harry might be in the bleachers. We knew about the shower. The Sox were in first!! We sat in the right field lower deck. Comiskey Park was just a cool place to go to.

chisox77
01-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Thus my handle on WSI - chisox77. That was a fun year. In fact, it was amazing because until then, the White Sox were never known for power hitting (even when they were successful in the 50s and much of the 60s). That season, they had some offensive outbursts that south siders rarely saw. I was 15 at the time, and enjoyed that special summer.

:cool:

raven1
01-03-2008, 09:00 PM
I know a lot of you are to young to remember the Sox team in 77, they had one of the worst teams in baseball in 76. So Veeck had no money to speak of, so he mainly just picked up spare parts and told the men he aquired that they shouldnt look forward to 78 because he wouldnt have the money to re-sign most of them. He traded Bucky Dent to NY for Oscar Gamble and Lamar Hoyt-( wish we could find a deal like that ), he traded Bill Melton to Angels for Jim Spencer, got Gator Garr the year before from Braves and picked up Richie Zisk from Pirates for Gossage and Forester, ( was good trade for 1 year ). Picked up Solderholm on FA. Them hired Bob Lemon-and old pro who was very low key and told them go have fun that most wouldnt be back next year. It worked for most of year, Garr and Gamble both free spirits (remember he could hardly get his batting helmit over his afro ), with Lemons low key approach everybody just had fun and it was one of the best years I ever enjoyed as a Sox fan, we competed for a lot of the year. I know guys just basically went to the plate and swung for the fences, this is something that I would like to see this coming year-, we seem to be so tense that nobody enjoys playing, I think a lot of that is KWs fault, Ive never seen him that he didnt look on edge. Pick up a couple of old sluggers who have been around and know they dont have many years left and have Ozzie have at it. In my opinion the looser they are the better they play.
1977 was also one of my favorite seasons ever, but there ended up being 2 flaws with this approach. 1- the one-dimensional team (all hitting, no pitching or defense) fell short & finished third. 2- Veeck tried to repeat this approach in 1978 and failed miserably, leading to an equally dismal 1979 "youth movement" season. You need to have low to non-existent expectations to gamble on a haphazardly thrown together team, with the core of the World Series champions still intact KW should be very focused on filling the holes needed to repeat.