PDA

View Full Version : More video of Old Comiskey

kba
12-30-2007, 10:00 PM
At YouTube, somebody has posted a montage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jE-J_61UA) of Harry singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during several games in the 1979 season. Some nice shots of Nancy Faust and the old ballpark.

gogosox16
12-30-2007, 10:12 PM
It sucks being 16 and never having the chance to go to that field.

hanger
12-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Why do they keep showing the guy w/ the Jimmy Piersall banner? He's one of the first fans they cut to on almost every game.

JNS
12-30-2007, 10:39 PM
At YouTube, somebody has posted a montage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jE-J_61UA) of Harry singing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during several games in the 1979 season. Some nice shots of Nancy Faust and the old ballpark.

HAPPY NEW YEAR JIMMY!

SAME TO YOU COACH!

Brian26
12-30-2007, 11:34 PM

Wow, that's fantastic stuff. I was hoping they would show a shot of the field on the July 15 clip to see how bad it looked from the mess that happened three nights previous to that.

Brian26
12-30-2007, 11:38 PM
Why do they keep showing the guy w/ the Jimmy Piersall banner? He's one of the first fans they cut to on almost every game.

Obviously there was a fake Jimmy Piersall Fan Club in existence at the time, and this guy wanted everyone to know he was the real Piersall fan club. :redneck

Its fascinating to see that the Sox actually showed Nancy on each of those clips. I can't remember the last time I've seen her shown on tv during an actual broadcast.

Peirsall was sporting a Sox satin jacket in the first clip. Harry used to be a snazzy dresser with the yellow polo sweaters.

WhiteSox5187
12-31-2007, 12:33 AM
If there is a heaven, surely, Old Comiskey must be a big feature there.

What a great clip. God I would love to see some of the old Sox games on DVD or something, especially in '77...but that probably won't ever happen.

TornLabrum
12-31-2007, 12:55 AM
I sent Nancy the link to that montage. I think she'd enjoy seeing it. I know I did.

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-31-2007, 08:05 AM
Very cool clip.

Loved Nancy with that Sox hard hat with the beacon on top. We should paint those blue and sell them outside Wrigley Field.

Not too pleased to see those scores though.

Frater Perdurabo
12-31-2007, 11:33 AM
I was born several years too late (1976). I would have enjoyed Harry before he became a complete caricature of himself with the Cubs.

PaleHoseGeorge
12-31-2007, 12:05 PM
I enjoyed all those happening 70's fashions... like the hairy-chested bald guy without a shirt.

:o:

MeteorsSox4367
12-31-2007, 12:15 PM
I never knew Harry Caray broadcasted for the Sox. I thought he only was a "Cub fan and a Bud man"?

Loved to see all the clips of the old Comiskey and Nancy with her Toni Tennille hairdo. I was also looking to see if I knew any of the fans who were shown. It was pretty disturbing seeing the old fan without his shirt. How many Falstaffs did he have that day in the bleachers?

HITMEN OF 77
12-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks for posting that. I've had my daily fill of Harry Caray now.

chisox77
12-31-2007, 01:16 PM
This brought back some memories. Thanks!

:cool:

DumpJerry
12-31-2007, 01:18 PM
It sucks being 16 and never having the chance to go to that field.
You can't imagine what you're missing. These clips captured very nicely the fun we had at the 'old ballpark during the Veeck years. It was a real fun place to go and easy, too, since General Admission tickets were $2.00 (later $3.00) to get in.

My four years of high school coincided with the four years Veeck owned the team. Despite the play on the field, it was always a good time.

Fenway
12-31-2007, 01:48 PM

:whiner:

That brought back wonderful memories.

We have debated to death the impact of Harry going 8 miles north. Obviously Sportsvision was a big factor in this but you have to remember by 1982 the White Sox had no choice because they were homeless as far as TV was concerned ( as were the Bulls and Blackhawks )

Ch 32 did not want 100 games a year and neither did Ch 26. The stark reality was the White Sox were not able to keep Channel 44 afloat and they became a pay-tv outlet before becoming Spanish.

The White Sox fatal error was thinking Harry needed the White Sox to stay in Chicago as they were convinced the Tribune would never hire him. It is impossible to judge on how many White Sox fans switched to the Cubs because of Harry and the free TV issue.

I am pretty sure of one thing...Milo Hamilton would never be the cult figure that Harry became at Wrigley. Harry became a big part of the WGN nationwide feed.

Fenway
12-31-2007, 02:25 PM
BTW a RED SOX fan found this on You Tube.

I linked it in another thread but some of you may have missed it.

Great White Sox video

PA1BmsCHGEk

tebman
12-31-2007, 04:14 PM
You can't imagine what you're missing. These clips captured very nicely the fun we had at the 'old ballpark during the Veeck years. It was a real fun place to go and easy, too, since General Admission tickets were $2.00 (later $3.00) to get in.

My four years of high school coincided with the four years Veeck owned the team. Despite the play on the field, it was always a good time.
Quoted for truth. Those years were a helluva lot of fun.

It was a combination of things. Veeck's ownership really did make a difference, because even though it might have all been an illusion we all felt like we were a real part of the experience. Veeck conveyed that feeling.

Another thing was that this was before money in baseball exploded -- remember that free-agency as we know it didn't exist until the '76 season, so there was less "glamour" in MLB, and going to a game was not fashionable like it is now at Wrigley Field. So DumpJerry could buy a general admission ticket for $2.00 and probably sit wherever he wanted because the crowds were generally smaller.

There were no luxury suites or skyboxes then, so you were just as likely to be sitting next to a bank president as you were to your brother-in-law. Crowds were raucous sometimes, but in general it was always a neighborhood-tavern kind of feel. Especially in 1977 when for several months the Sox were tearing up the American League and laughing all the way.

Yeah, the park was old and was falling apart, but if you were able to live in the moment it was a great time to be there. Those YouTube tapes give a taste of that feeling.

kba
01-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Here's some more Harry (http://youtube.com/watch?v=jB4Ta22BWA8)- this time from 1980 ... including Nancy playing the organ in a ski parka, a quick shot of the Sox players in the dugout, and Piersall's ever-present fan club.

The last clip is especially good. It's "Bill Veeck Day" at the old ballpark - his last day as owner.

Frontman
01-08-2008, 05:33 PM
BTW a RED SOX fan found this on You Tube.

I linked it in another thread but some of you may have missed it.

Great White Sox video

PA1BmsCHGEk

Fenway,

I play that vid every time I need a smile. I love that thick "No, its CHICAGO" accent at the beginning.

And under no circumstance do I know who "Frontmanfrg" is over at youtube. :rolleyes:

As far as the old ballpark is concerned, I loved it. Most of my memories of it was as a kid, and I loved the popcorn sold in basically a bullhorn. Sure, many times the popcorn was stale, but it was a part of the magic and the charm.

TornLabrum
01-08-2008, 06:41 PM
I heard back from Nancy about the 1979 video. She loved it. So I sent her the link to the 1980 video. I love those "glasses" she's wearing in about the third clip.

MeteorsSox4367
01-09-2008, 12:25 AM
As far as the old ballpark is concerned, I loved it. Most of my memories of it was as a kid, and I loved the popcorn sold in basically a bullhorn. Sure, many times the popcorn was stale, but it was a part of the magic and the charm.

Front: I worked for SportService at the old Comiskey in '84 and '85. Heck yeah, the popcorn was stale. It was popped, dumped into Hefty bags and stored. If the Sox were in Anaheim, Seattle and Oakland for 10 days, the popcorn served when they came back was two weeks old.

Dee-licious!