PDA

View Full Version : If you could go back in time, which FA would you sign?

SoxNation05
12-29-2007, 01:58 PM
The Sox didn't make a splash. Pick a player you wished they would have made a splash with.

gogosox16
12-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Either Hunter or Fukudome, most likely Hunter cause you know what your getting and your not for sure what your getting out of Fukudome.

voodoochile
12-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Oh good lord...

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't stop with a FA this off season. I'd go back and convince Crede to have the surgery during the 06-07 off-season.

Then, I'd tell KW that his bullpen was going to suck last year and that he needed to do something about it.

I mean if we are going to dream about possibilities, think big.

For this poll, I vote NOTA. I'd sign ARod...

SoxNation05
12-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Oh good lord...

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't stop with a FA this off season. I'd go back and convince Crede to have the surgery during the 06-07 off-season.

Then, I'd tell KW that his bullpen was going to suck last year and that he needed to do something about it.

I mean if we are going to dream about possibilities, think big.

For this poll, I vote NOTA. I'd sign ARod...
Back in time meaning November 07 and after.

voodoochile
12-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Back in time meaning November 07 and after.

:rolleyes:

gogosox16
12-29-2007, 02:18 PM
:rolleyes:
lol.:D:

voodoochile
12-29-2007, 02:21 PM
lol.:D:

I mean what kind of crappy mutant power is that?

What's your mutant ability?

I can go back in time, but only like 6 hours. :?:

Frater Perdurabo
12-29-2007, 02:47 PM
If my choice is limited to these guys and I had the power to force them to choose the Sox, then I'd go with Fukudome.

KW offered more for Fukudome than the Cubs, but Fukudome chose the Cubs.

Daver
12-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I mean what kind of crappy mutant power is that?

What's your mutant ability?

I can go back in time, but only like 6 hours. :?:

No doubt, I'd go back and get Joe Dimaggio.

spiffie
12-29-2007, 03:17 PM
I would sign none of them. I would however have the Sox release Chick Gandil before the 1919 season.

johnr1note
12-29-2007, 03:20 PM
I would sign none of them. I would however have the Sox release Chick Gandil before the 1919 season.

And go back a few years before that, and sign a young pitching prospect from Baltimore by the name of Ruth. I hear he has a good bat too.

WhiteSox5187
12-29-2007, 03:30 PM
I'd take Fukodome, because he could fill our needs in CF and at leadoff.

DumpJerry
12-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Who is this "Fukodome" in the poll?

I vote NOTA. Just because someone is a FA it does not necessarily mean he can fill our needs.

The reality is that you can't say which of the players listed could/would help us since we have not idea whatsoever what their performance will be like. When you give a FA tons 'o bucks, you paying him for past performance. That's why I think Daver is spot-on with his pick of The Yankee Clipper-we already know how he turns out. I would then trade Konerko and sign Lou Gehrig to replace him.

MarySwiss
12-29-2007, 05:08 PM
If my choice is limited to these guys and I had the power to force them to choose the Sox, then I'd go with Fukudome.

KW offered more for Fukudome than the Cubs, but Fukudome chose the Cubs.

Which tells me a lot right there. This guy WANTS to be a Cub. What's up with that?

We all know I'm a major Paulie fan, but I think I'd have to go with Dump's "Konerko for Gehrig" deal. If we got Gehrig earlier rather than later. And signing DiMaggio is a no-brainer. As is releasing Gandil.

While we're rewriting history, let's tell Commie and his pals that hiring Landis as the commish is a really bad idea.

spiffie
12-29-2007, 05:13 PM

I vote NOTA. Just because someone is a FA it does not necessarily mean he can fill our needs.

The reality is that you can't say which of the players listed could/would help us since we have not idea whatsoever what their performance will be like. When you give a FA tons 'o bucks, you paying him for past performance. That's why I think Daver is spot-on with his pick of The Yankee Clipper-we already know how he turns out. I would then trade Konerko and sign Lou Gehrig to replace him.
Of course, if we're signing Joe D for the 2008 season and beyond, he might be the epitome of corpseball :tongue:

btrain929
12-29-2007, 05:17 PM
-Sign Andruw Jones for CF for a 2 year deal.
-Sign David Eckstein to play 2B and leadoff. If it's for a 1 year contract, we can keep Richar in AAA to hone his skills and become more consistent offensively.

We wouldn't be throwing tons of money out the window or overpaying, CF and leadoff is filled, and along with Cabrera and Linebrink, being competitive in '08 isn't that far of a reach with these additions.

But these things didn't happen, so we can only hope we still pick up a leadoff hitter that does well for us or Owens continues his progress and puts up .275/.350 with 65 sb's. This along with Richar batting .260 in the 9 hole with 19 hrs and 79 rbis, and Fields going off for .273 38-117. Oh, Danks and Floyd each put up 10-14 wins with ERA's under 4.75 and 5, respectively. :praying:

SoxNation05
12-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Which tells me a lot right there. This guy WANTS to be a Cub. What's up with that?

We all know I'm a major Paulie fan, but I think I'd have to go with Dump's "Konerko for Gehrig" deal. If we got Gehrig earlier rather than later. And signing DiMaggio is a no-brainer. As is releasing Gandil.

While we're rewriting history, let's tell Commie and his pals that hiring Landis as the commish is a really bad idea.
If he would have came to the Sox he would have been told to play CF. Going to the Cubs gave him the opportunity to play his original position, RF. Which he preferred over 2 million dollars.

Frater Perdurabo
12-29-2007, 05:54 PM
Sign Barry Bonds for 1993 and give him a personality transplant. Then the Sox would have a happy-go-lucky, steroid-free LH LF to protect Frank Thomas.
:cool:

kittle42
12-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Was Silva even a free agent?

SoxNation05
12-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Was Silva even a free agent?
He only got 4/48.

gr8mexico
12-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Im just happy the Sox didnt spend there money on any of these loosers this year. Each and every player in FA's this year wouldnt help the Sox at all. Hunter would of fit nicely in CF but he's not a leadoff hitter. The Sox "need" a leadoff hitter and that's what they should be looking for. The sox should save there money and look towards the 2009 class Orlando Hudson,Johan Santana,Rich Harden,Rafael Furcal,Mark Teixeira,C.C. Sabathia,Ben Sheets

MarySwiss
12-29-2007, 08:19 PM
If he would have came to the Sox he would have been told to play CF. Going to the Cubs gave him the opportunity to play his original position, RF. Which he preferred over 2 million dollars.

Yep, I know that. And that's one reason I'm glad he signed with the Cubs. There's no way the Sox should have told Jermaine Dye to move over to make room for an unproven player. The Tribsters are spinning it that it was more important to Fukudome to play his position than to sign for bigger bucks.

Yeah, maybe. Or maybe the Cubs have signed yet another player who has the "all about me" attitude. Time will tell.

CLR01
12-29-2007, 08:45 PM

Rowand would have brought us more pie. He's my pick and after him I choose Erstad and Singleton.

Daver
12-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Rowand would have brought us more pie. He's my pick and after him I choose Erstad and Singleton.

Singleton was under contract, they would have to trade for him.

CLR01
12-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Singleton was under contract, they would have to trade for him.

Okay so you give Tampa Uribe.

cards press box
12-29-2007, 09:32 PM

I agree about releasing Gandil but let me go one step farther: could we go back and have the Sox keep 1B Jack Fournier and not trade for noted gambler Hal Chase from the Highlanders in 1913. Without the acquisition of Chase and Gandil on the 1919 roster, maybe the Black Sox scandal doesn't happen and the White Sox (and not the hated Yankees) remain as the class of the American League for decades.

voodoochile
12-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Of course, if we're signing Joe D for the 2008 season and beyond, he might be the epitome of corpseball :tongue:

Maybe they can get Ted Williams' head while their at it. It's bound to be a better hitter than Owens I would think...

WhiteSox5187
12-30-2007, 12:32 AM
I agree about releasing Gandil but let me go one step farther: could we go back and have the Sox keep 1B Jack Fournier and not trade for noted gambler Hal Chase from the Highlanders in 1913. Without the acquisition of Chase and Gandil on the 1919 roster, maybe the Black Sox scandal doesn't happen and the White Sox (and not the hated Yankees) remain as the class of the American League for decades.
I didn't know Hal Chase was on the 1919 White Sox...I thought he was on the Reds then...

Nellie_Fox
12-30-2007, 02:27 AM
None of those old guys were ever a free agent. Reserve clause and all.

cards press box
12-30-2007, 02:28 AM
I didn't know Hal Chase was on the 1919 White Sox...I thought he was on the Reds then...

No, Chase was not on the 1919 White Sox but was on the Giants that year. Interestingly, in 1919, Chase's Giants were in a pennant race with the eventual National League champion Reds but finished 2nd. Chase was on the Sox earlier in the decade, though, and several historians have opined that: (1) during his career, Chase frequently tried to fix games and (2) Chase did play a role in the fix of the 1919 World Series.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/halchase.shtml

LITTLE NELL
12-30-2007, 04:52 AM
Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble after the 77 season. Also Robin Ventura.

DumpJerry
12-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Maybe they can get Ted Williams' head while their at it. It's bound to be a better hitter than Owens I would think...
He's a Clubhouse Cancer.

SoxNation05
12-31-2007, 02:45 PM
He's a Clubhouse Cancer.
Respect the deceased.

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-31-2007, 03:30 PM
:angry:

I would not sign any of them Jones; WHAT? LOL NO FN WAY, JONES.

Mod edit: Language filter evasion gets you a short vacation.

WhiteSox5187
12-31-2007, 03:54 PM
No, Chase was not on the 1919 White Sox but was on the Giants that year. Interestingly, in 1919, Chase's Giants were in a pennant race with the eventual National League champion Reds but finished 2nd. Chase was on the Sox earlier in the decade, though, and several historians have opined that: (1) during his career, Chase frequently tried to fix games and (2) Chase did play a role in the fix of the 1919 World Series.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/articles/halchase.shtml
I knew Hal Chase was a gambler...and now that i think about it I maybe read somewhere that he introduced Chick Gandle to the gamblers from 1919...Frank DeFord thinks that had Chase been punished more harshly (Matthewson tried to kick him out of the game all together when he took over the Reds, but ironically John McGraw stuck up for him) 1919 might never had happened.

Little Nell, I think even if the Sox had signed Gamble and Zisk in the off season of '77 they wouldn't have been very good in '78. THey never put up numbers like '77 again as I recall (of course I was born ten years after the fact) and the Sox were really more in need of pitching than anything else.

jabrch
12-31-2007, 04:43 PM
I didn't like any of the deals I saw out there for the prices they went for - so none.

I'd rather wait and pay too much for a great player rather than pay too much for a mediocre player.

voodoochile
12-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Respect the deceased.

Should have thought of that before they let the cryogenics lab cut off his head and bounce it on the floor a couple of time. Now it's cracked, frozen and awaiting the day medical innovation allows us to reattach it to a cancer free body.

Anyone willing to give up their body for Ted? Come on. The Sox could really use his stick...

A. Cavatica
12-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Josh Gibson.

spiffie
12-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Should have thought of that before they let the cryogenics lab cut off his head and bounce it on the floor a couple of time. Now it's cracked, frozen and awaiting the day medical innovation allows us to reattach it to a cancer free body.

Anyone willing to give up their body for Ted? Come on. The Sox could really use his stick...
It is time for Juan Uribe to take one for the team.

WhiteSox5187
12-31-2007, 06:55 PM
:rolling:

voodoochile
12-31-2007, 11:44 PM

All in favor?

Aye...

Passed unanimously by everyone typing in this post...

SBSoxFan
01-01-2008, 06:17 AM
Yep, I know that. And that's one reason I'm glad he signed with the Cubs. There's no way the Sox should have told Jermaine Dye to move over to make room for an unproven player. The Tribsters are spinning it that it was more important to Fukudome to play his position than to sign for bigger bucks.

Yeah, maybe. Or maybe the Cubs have signed yet another player who has the "all about me" attitude. Time will tell.

I believe it's the latter since he also wanted to play where he would be the first Japanese player on the team.

They can have him.

Oh, and I'd go back and sign Reggie Jackson. Wasn't he the first FA? It would have set a good precedence.

Optipessimism
01-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Jones or Guillen. Both are proven players who can play D and they both took below market value contracts. Assuming Dye would be open to and capable of playing 1B, adding Guillen would have given us an opportunity to trade either JD or Paulie for other pieces to improve the MLB team as well as the farm.

spiffie
01-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Reggie was one of the early free agents, but not the first.

Catfish Hunter was the first free agent to sign with a team, but it was because of a technicality in his contract. Hunter left Oakland after the 1974 season and signed with the Yankees.

I still remember Curt Flood going to court when I was a kid but didn't really understand what he was trying to do.

Andy Messersmith is the one I will always remember as starting free agency.
Hawk Harrelson was made a FA when Charlie Finley released him :D:

Lukin13
01-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Andruw Jones was a steal; at only two years he would have been very low risk/high reward. He would also be tradable regardless of how he perfomed if KW wanted to unload him.

wilburaga
01-08-2008, 11:22 AM
I'd arrange an accident for Larry Sherry in September of 1959.

W

soxwon
01-08-2008, 02:13 PM
We had WILL Cordero!!!!

D. TODD
01-09-2008, 11:07 AM

While we're rewriting history, let's tell Commie and his pals that hiring Landis as the commish is a really bad idea. He wanted to be a right fielder. That is why he went to the northside, here he probably would have been stuck in center which was a negative for him.