PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know who is going to be PK backup?

Rockabilly
12-28-2007, 08:29 AM
any good free agents on the market that we can get to be Paulie back up

Mr.1Dog
12-28-2007, 08:33 AM
I am sure Thome and Fields can back Paulie up should he need a day off.

gogosox16
12-28-2007, 09:02 AM
any good free agents on the market that we can get to be Paulie back up
They don't need to worry about a backup player when they still have a hole in center, and question marks in left, and 2nd.

DumpJerry
12-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Toby Hall. He can tear his labrum again.

Daver
12-28-2007, 09:26 AM
A cardboard cutout of Greg Luzinski.

itsnotrequired
12-28-2007, 10:02 AM

Is the cutout in the union?

Thigpen "57"
12-28-2007, 10:10 AM
Unfortunately, I do believe Toby Hall is the backup for uncle Paulie. Not a fan of Toby, but considering how many days off Paulie usually takes in a season, it will be a moot issue.

Save McCuddy's
12-28-2007, 10:15 AM
I'd say it's gong to be Fields.

chisox77
12-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Bring Mike Squires out of retirement!

:cool:

skottyj242
12-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Unfortunately, I do believe Toby Hall is the backup for uncle Paulie. Not a fan of Toby, but considering how many days off Paulie usually takes in a season, it will be a moot issue.

What did Toby Hall ever do to you?

Thigpen "57"
12-28-2007, 10:40 AM
What did Toby Hall ever do to you?

He stole our horses and pillaged our village. Guess I never got over it :smile:

soxinem1
12-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Greg Walker can sub on the 3-4 days Konerko takes off.

Then PK can tell Walk what's wrong with his swing.

Grzegorz
12-28-2007, 10:55 AM

Has Fields ever played first base in the majors? I get the impression that there are some on this board that believe there is no position Fields cannot play.

If that is the case, then why not have him take the rubber every fifth day?

jabrch
12-28-2007, 10:56 AM

Which would have more range to the right? Bull or his cutout?

Daver
12-28-2007, 10:59 AM

I'm gonna have to go with the cutout, no question.

Brian26
12-28-2007, 11:01 AM

:rolling:

I'm still trying to figure out how Luzinski played LF for the Phillies in the early 80s.

the1tab
12-28-2007, 11:06 AM
:rolling:

I'm still trying to figure out how Luzinski played LF for the Phillies in the early 80s.

He was behind the best 3B of his generation, Michael Jack Schmidt, who sucked up almost anything under 6 feet, and he played everything else off the wall. Note: see Manny in left at Fenway. Lowell + the Monster make him adequate.

There are ways to use brains to compensate for... dare i say... excess braun?

oeo
12-28-2007, 11:24 AM
They don't need to worry about a backup player when they still have a hole in center, and question marks in left, and 2nd.

They don't? :?:

So if Paulie gets hurt, what are we going to do?

Fields/Thome is a bad idea. 1)Fields has never played 1B. 2)Thome playing 1B = larger chance of injury. I don't know what it is with you people and wanting to move Fields from the only position he's going to feel comfortable at. He was not as bad as the general feeling around here says he was. Let the guy play and improve instead of jerking him around from position to position when he's got plenty of other crap to worry about.

Honestly, I'm more worried about Fields' offense next year, than his defense. Moving down in the order means he no longer has the protection of Jim Thome. I'm nervous to see how that will work out. He may struggle early on without those belt-high fastballs. So wiith that said, there's no reason to give him anything else to worry about (like learning a new position).

jenn2080
12-28-2007, 11:29 AM
PK's backup? Shouldnt we worry more about the lack of pitching and outfield?

Sargeant79
12-28-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't know what it is with you people and wanting to move Fields from the only position he's going to feel comfortable at. He was not as bad as the general feeling around here says he was. Let the guy play and improve instead of jerking him around from position to position when he's got plenty of other crap to worry about.

Thank you. Plus, he showed improvement as the year went on save for the LF experiment. I think there is a good chance he will become an average to above average defensive third baseman, maybe as early as next year.

thedudeabides
12-28-2007, 11:33 AM
They don't? :?:

So if Paulie gets hurt, what are we going to do?

Fields/Thome is a bad idea. 1)Fields has never played 1B. 2)Thome playing 1B = larger chance of injury. I don't know what it is with you people and wanting to move Fields from the only position he's going to feel comfortable at. He was not as bad as the general feeling around here says he was; let the guy play and improve.

I agree. If Fields is the every day 3b, you don't make him your backup 1b. And Thome will play a couple of games at first against the NL, and that's it.

That being said, there is time to get a backup and it's not a priority because PK has been durable and plays a lot of games. The Crede/Fields situation has to be decided first. If they both stay, however unlikely that is, one of them probably would back up. If not, knowing Kenny and Ozzie they will look for a versatile player who can play multiple positions including first.

oeo
12-28-2007, 11:33 AM

Yeah, so when Paulie goes down to injury, it's a great thing that we have that mediocre relief pitcher. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm not saying we don't need to improve our pitching (or our outfield), but you shouldn't just be shrugging off a lack of a good, diverse bench. We still have an old team, and if injuries hit again, we're going to be even worse than last year seeing as though we have an even ****tier bench.

Noneck
12-28-2007, 11:47 AM
I don't think this decision should be made until 3rd base is sorted out. If Fields and Crede are kept, let Thome be the backup. Crede or Fields can DH if Thome gets hurt and the Sox can figure out what to do for a backup then.

LITTLE NELL
12-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Its too late now but I would have signed Erstad for one more year. As of right now its got to be Thome as the backup, just make sure to give him some innings in the field in spring training.

Sockinchisox
12-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Who knows, maybe Dye with Quentin shifting to right.

Brian26
12-28-2007, 12:49 PM
He was behind the best 3B of his generation, Michael Jack Schmidt, who sucked up almost anything under 6 feet, and he played everything else off the wall. Note: see Manny in left at Fenway. Lowell + the Monster make him adequate.

There are ways to use brains to compensate for... dare i say... excess braun?

Ryan Braun? :redneck

Maybe excess brawn.

I understand what you're trying to say, but LF at the old Vet was a lot different than Fenway. Shorter wall, deeper power alley, a lot more area to cover. Granted, Luzinski wasn't quite as large when he was with the Phils.

JB98
12-28-2007, 12:54 PM

That's my reaction to this thread as well. I'm concerned about not having much depth, but I'm far more concerned about our pitching staff than I am about Konerko's backup. Paul has been durable, and he has played through nagging injuries in his career.

To answer the question, I'd say Dye. Under no circumstance would I put Thome at 1B at this point in his career. We have to do everything we can to keep Jim healthy, and should Konerko get injured, keeping Thome in the lineup would be even more imperative.

kittle42
12-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Who knows, maybe Dye with Quentin shifting to right.

Why not? He's already shown us his proficinecy at SS. Man, last year sucked almost as much as this thread.

Brian26
12-28-2007, 12:57 PM
We could always pick up Timo to start a couple of games at 1B.

oeo
12-28-2007, 01:17 PM
That's my reaction to this thread as well. I'm concerned about not having much depth, but I'm far more concerned about our pitching staff than I am about Konerko's backup. Paul has been durable, and he has played through nagging injuries in his career.

To answer the question, I'd say Dye. Under no circumstance would I put Thome at 1B at this point in his career. We have to do everything we can to keep Jim healthy, and should Konerko get injured, keeping Thome in the lineup would be even more imperative.

The pitching staff is what it is right now. Tell me how we're going to improve upon it, without trading away our biggest pieces? Worry about if it's going to suck; worrying about 'what we're going to do to fix it' right now is pointless, because there isn't much we can do anymore (and it doesn't seem like KW wants to do anything about it, anyway). At this point, you just hope and pray that everything works out. It's nothing great, but I also think it's a year away from being pretty damn good (which is what we should be aiming for right now).

As of right now, this team needs two major improvements that can still be done: CF and the bench. The pitching staff, OTOH, will take a big hit somewhere else on the team in order to improve. And IMO, it's not worth it. Give the kids some experience in a year where we're not going anywhere, anyway.

And think about it, we have depth in pitching and the outfield in the minors. In the outfield, we have all of Quentin, Ramirez, Owens, Sweeney, and Anderson who can fight for a job. We have guys like Gio, Egbert, Broadway, and Oneli Perez (for the bullpen in case something goes wrong) on the pitching side. We have zero infielders (unless you count Getz). I know Paulie has been durable, but he's also getting older. You don't know that he's going to stay healthy.

santo=dorf
12-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Its too late now but I would have signed Erstad for one more year. As of right now its got to be Thome as the backup, just make sure to give him some innings in the field in spring training.
Apparently we're looking for a back up first baseman in case Konerko goes down, not an injured piled of garbage who would be starting over Owens or Quentin.

This is ridiculous. Konerko is very durable and back up first baseman might be the second least important job behind the mop up pitcher in the bullpen. In 2005™we had Dye and Timo Perez play a game at first. Geoff Blum was even used at a late inning replacement.

Why are we saying "if Konerko goes down?" What if Buehrle goes down? What if Quentin goes down (has an injury history?) What if Owens sucks and/or goes down? What if Richar goes down? (assuming Uribe is traded, and if he takes over, who backups Orlando Cabrera?

Tony Clark, Doug Mientkiewicz, and Travis Lee are all still available.:rolleyes:

oeo
12-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Why are we saying "if Konerko goes down?" What if Buehrle goes down? What if Quentin goes down (has an injury history?) What if Owens sucks and/or goes down? What if Richar goes down? (assuming Uribe is traded, and if he takes over, who backups Orlando Cabrera?

I've already mentioned the need for a more diverse bench, not just a replacement for Konerko if he gets hurt. Don't blindly act like I think we only need a 1B. I want a Mackowiak or Erstad type, super-utility guy.

And since you asked...we have viable replacements if those guys suck or go down to injury (I've already mentioned our outfielders...and Uribe/Ramirez can play both SS and 2B). Konerko, we do not.

DickAllen72
12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Every time Thome tries to play 1B he has to spend time on the DL (or at least on the bench) to recover.

btrain929
12-28-2007, 04:14 PM
If Toby Hall can get back to being a .250-.260 hitter he's been his whole career, he will be a very adequate backup catcher and backup 1B. If the unfortunate situation arises where Konerko is out for any serious amount of time, we'll either make a move for a 1B then, or put Quentin in RF, Dye at 1B, and put have a diff OF'er in LF since that's the only position we have some type of depth in within our system besides pitching (Sweeney, Anderson, Owens).

SoxNation05
12-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Ryan Sweeney has played first and might make the team as the fifth OF.

fozzy
12-28-2007, 04:51 PM
ryan sweeney has never played a game at first his entire career.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/ryan-sweeney.shtml

thomas35forever
12-28-2007, 04:54 PM
If I had to take a guess, I would say Quentin. As other posters have said, Dye and Hall are also options. We'll have to see who can play first in ST without tearing their labrum.

JB98
12-28-2007, 05:48 PM
The pitching staff is what it is right now. Tell me how we're going to improve upon it, without trading away our biggest pieces? Worry about if it's going to suck; worrying about 'what we're going to do to fix it' right now is pointless, because there isn't much we can do anymore (and it doesn't seem like KW wants to do anything about it, anyway). At this point, you just hope and pray that everything works out. It's nothing great, but I also think it's a year away from being pretty damn good (which is what we should be aiming for right now).

As of right now, this team needs two major improvements that can still be done: CF and the bench. The pitching staff, OTOH, will take a big hit somewhere else on the team in order to improve. And IMO, it's not worth it. Give the kids some experience in a year where we're not going anywhere, anyway.

And think about it, we have depth in pitching and the outfield in the minors. In the outfield, we have all of Quentin, Ramirez, Owens, Sweeney, and Anderson who can fight for a job. We have guys like Gio, Egbert, Broadway, and Oneli Perez (for the bullpen in case something goes wrong) on the pitching side. We have zero infielders (unless you count Getz). I know Paulie has been durable, but he's also getting older. You don't know that he's going to stay healthy.

We don't know if anybody is going to stay healthy. But you make assumptions based on past history. AJ and Konerko have been durable in their careers. You figure AJ is good for 130 games, and Konerko will play 150. Neither player is old. Paul is 31; AJ is 30. For some reason, they get mentioned whenever someone refers to the White Sox as an "aging" team.

Dye and Thome, well, at the very least you know they are going to have their little nagging injuries. Our GM should account for that and have a backup plan. I'm more worried about how we plug a gap if one of those two guys goes down for an extended period, as opposed to someone like Paulie. Crede is another injury risk, but we have protection there with Fields getting good major-league experience last year.

As for the pitching, I'd have to look over the remaining free-agents lists, but I'd still like a back-of-the-rotation veteran to give us some stability. We aren't going to get an ace, but an innings-eater would be helpful.

Frontman
12-28-2007, 11:06 PM

Probably can run faster than Paulie. He just doesn't have the power anymore to drive it to opposite field gap.

SBSoxFan
12-29-2007, 06:50 AM
At one time, wasn't Andy Gonzalez supposed to play 1B in winter ball, so he could be the backup? If that was plan 1, I'd just love to see what plans 1A and 1B are. :tongue:

cards press box
12-29-2007, 10:21 AM
ryan sweeney has never played a game at first his entire career.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/ryan-sweeney.shtml

I've also heard that Sweeney, a left-handed thrower, can play first base as well as the outfield. If Sweeney has the athleticism to play all three outfield spots, I would expect that he could play first base and play it well.

PalehosePlanet
12-29-2007, 10:43 AM
I've also heard that Sweeney, a left-handed thrower, can play first base as well as the outfield. If Sweeney has the athleticism to play all three outfield spots, I would expect that he could play first base and play it well.

Sweeney needs to be in AAA; he needs to learn to turn on the ball more and generate more of a power swing. This is a big year for him in terms of his development, it wouldn't make sense to have him on our bench where he won't get enough at bats.

We need to find out over the next year, to year and a half, weather he'll be the next Garret Anderson (upside) or the next Larry Bigbie (downside.)

kittle42
12-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Heard where, from here?

EndemicSox
12-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Fields has 1B written all over him...

tick53
12-30-2007, 08:46 AM
The Sox have a power-hitting first baseman named Chris Carter, oh I forgot Williams traded him for Carlos Quentin.

johnny_mostil
12-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Anyone -- and I mean anyone -- can back up first base in a pinch. It's a joke -- the easiest position by far on the diamond (DH obviously excluded). Heck, Ron Kittle played first base for a while, remember? (OK, he was kind of bad at it, but not truly horrible).

kittle42
12-30-2007, 11:40 AM
The Sox have a power-hitting first baseman named Chris Carter, oh I forgot Williams traded him for Carlos Quentin.

Oh, please. Yeah, he would have gotten the call after playing in A ball.

kittle42
12-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Anyone -- and I mean anyone -- can back up first base in a pinch. It's a joke -- the easiest position by far on the diamond (DH obviously excluded). Heck, Ron Kittle played first base for a while, remember? (OK, he was kind of bad at it, but not truly horrible).

Ron Kittle never did anything badly! :cool:

Taliesinrk
12-31-2007, 06:59 AM

Incorrect. The easiest position on the field is LF. I would then argue second base, and then first base; but you could maybe make an argument for first base ahead of second.

thedudeabides
12-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Incorrect. The easiest position on the field is LF. I would then argue second base, and then first base; but you could maybe make an argument for first base ahead of second.

I'll disagree about first being more difficult than second. A second baseman has to turn a double play, has to have a much better range, more athletic ability to cover on steals and pickoffs, and has to be able to throw more consistently than a first baseman.

In a pinch most second baseman could play first, you can't say that about first baseman playing second.

Jjav829
12-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Yeah, so when Paulie goes down to injury, it's a great thing that we have that mediocre relief pitcher. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm not saying we don't need to improve our pitching (or our outfield), but you shouldn't just be shrugging off a lack of a good, diverse bench. We still have an old team, and if injuries hit again, we're going to be even worse than last year seeing as though we have an even ****tier bench.

When? Really? When? Did he suddenly become J.D. Drew? Konerko's games played since 2001: 156, 151, 137, 155, 158, 152, 151. The 137 came in 2003 when Konerko was missing games not due to injury, but because he was in the worst slump of his career. Other than 03, Konerko has played in 150+ games every year since 2001.

Is this really a concern? Yes, if Konerko gets injured, we're in trouble at 1B. But you can't protect your team against everything. I'd love to have a 1B sitting on the bench who could step in and perform just as well if Konerko gets hurt. But it isn't a worthwhile useless of a bench spot, considering we have an unproven 2B and LF/CF. We need protection for those positions more than we need some big lug on the bench who can play 1B if Konerko goes down.

A ball, Major Leagues...really, what's the difference? Hell, they should have kept Carter and let him battle it out with Konerko for the starting position in Spring Training. :rolleyes:

TheVulture
01-01-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm sorry, the notion that anyone can just step in and play a major league quality 1b is ridiculous. Sure, anyone can step in and play a bad firstbase, but I'd prefer someone at each position who knows what they're doing out there.

voodoochile
01-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm sorry, the notion that anyone can just step in and play a major league quality 1b is ridiculous. Sure, anyone can step in and play a bad firstbase, but I'd prefer someone at each position who knows what they're doing out there.

There are probably 6 guys on the Sox who could play an average 1B with as little as a few games practice. Uribe could do it for sure after all he can play every other infield position and probably LF too. Crede and Fields could also because 3B can normally switch over with little problem. Add in Dye and hall and you are at 5 without breaking a sweat.

Billy Ashley
01-02-2008, 12:00 AM
There are probably 6 guys on the Sox who could play an average 1B with as little as a few games practice. Uribe could do it for sure after all he can play every other infield position and probably LF too. Crede and Fields could also because 3B can normally switch over with little problem. Add in Dye and hall and you are at 5 without breaking a sweat.
It can’t be as easy as your making it out to be. If it was, players like Michael Lamb, Eduardo Perez, Andy Phillips and numerous others would never have had major league careers. Yes, first base is one of if not the least difficult position on the defensive spectrum to become proficient at it does also require a specific skill set that not every player can simply adjust to. To be a league average first basemen one needs soft hands, steady footwork and some degree of flexibility. Additionally, they must also have enough experience at the position to know when to take their foot off a bag rather than stretch on an errant throw. They must also need to know how to cover the bag with a runner on and to move back into position as best they can as the pitcher enters his motion towards the plate. Also it helps very much to be left handed.

If it were that easy to transform into a first basemen that several White Sox players could fill in there and be adequate with in weeks one would have to wonder why Todd Hundley, Mike Piazza, Javy Lopez or numerous other crappy fielding awesome hitting Catchers didn’t have more success moving to first as they aged.

If were it were as easy as you claim it to be, wouldn’t the Reds stick Dunn as first as he’s awful in left (they have, and each attempt has been ugly), wouldn’t the Red sox play Manny Ramirez in left? Hell, why not Wily Mo Pena when he was with the Reds or Red Sox or Nationals (the cases of Dunn and Pena are interesting as both are very athletic for such big men, Pena has well above average foot speed and of course Dunn was a multi sport athlete).

While this doesn’t matter at all given the skill level being discussed by this next point but anecdotally, I can tell you that while I was a really decent defensive 2b and SS (compared to my peers) through High School I would have been horrific at first base.

voodoochile
01-02-2008, 09:11 AM
It can’t be as easy as your making it out to be. If it was, players like Michael Lamb, Eduardo Perez, Andy Phillips and numerous others would never have had major league careers. Yes, first base is one of if not the least difficult position on the defensive spectrum to become proficient at it does also require a specific skill set that not every player can simply adjust to. To be a league average first basemen one needs soft hands, steady footwork and some degree of flexibility. Additionally, they must also have enough experience at the position to know when to take their foot off a bag rather than stretch on an errant throw. They must also need to know how to cover the bag with a runner on and to move back into position as best they can as the pitcher enters his motion towards the plate. Also it helps very much to be left handed.

If it were that easy to transform into a first basemen that several White Sox players could fill in there and be adequate with in weeks one would have to wonder why Todd Hundley, Mike Piazza, Javy Lopez or numerous other crappy fielding awesome hitting Catchers didn’t have more success moving to first as they aged.

If were it were as easy as you claim it to be, wouldn’t the Reds stick Dunn as first as he’s awful in left (they have, and each attempt has been ugly), wouldn’t the Red sox play Manny Ramirez in left? Hell, why not Wily Mo Pena when he was with the Reds or Red Sox or Nationals (the cases of Dunn and Pena are interesting as both are very athletic for such big men, Pena has well above average foot speed and of course Dunn was a multi sport athlete).

While this doesn’t matter at all given the skill level being discussed by this next point but anecdotally, I can tell you that while I was a really decent defensive 2b and SS (compared to my peers) through High School I would have been horrific at first base.

We're in theory talking about 10 games next year where PK will DH or sit out instead of playing first. Hall actually is trained in this act even if he did injure himself last year while doing it. I imagine they will work up Fields or Crede to handle an emergency situation beyond that. There is also Thome who can do it in a pinch, though I am sure they don't want to risk his back that way unless they absoultely have to.

Edit: there's a reason the worst defender on the team has traditionally played 1B. I would think that would make it self-evident that it's simply not that tough of a position to pick up.

Paulwny
01-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Edit: there's a reason the worst defender on the team has traditionally played 1B. I would think that would make it self-evident that it's simply not that tough of a position to pick up.

Yep, what other positions could guys like Frank and Ortiz play? It would be amusing to see either one chasing a fly ball.
1st base has always been the position for the big slugger with limited range and agility.

voodoochile
01-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Yep, what other positions could guys like Frank and Ortiz play? It would be amusing to see either one chasing a fly ball.
1st base has always been the position for the big slugger with limited range and agility.

I don't understand why so many people are concerned with this issue. The Sox have a guy they expect to start 150 games at 1B next year. Thus we are talking about a guy who most likely is 25th on the depth chart. If they go get someone to be that 25th guy it's a waste of resources.

Frater Perdurabo
01-02-2008, 09:54 AM
Those who claim that 1B is a difficult defensive position to play seem to subscribe to the Jerry Manuel school of thought, where the ability to turn the 3-6-3 DP is paramount!
:?:

Now that Cabrera is the SS, PK will not have to pick as many Uribe misfired lasers out of the dirt.

voodoochile
01-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Those who claim that 1B is a difficult defensive position to play seem to subscribe to the Jerry Manuel school of thought, where the ability to turn the 3-6-3 DP is paramount!
:?:

Now that Cabrera is the SS, PK will not have to pick as many Uribe misfired lasers out of the dirt.

I actually mentioned PK's throwing arm as a strength one time to a buddy and he said, "I've never heard anyone talk about a 1b throwing arm before." He said this while snickering and he's a freaking flubbie fan. It was a shameful moment for me and I vowed to never speak of it again...:tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I actually mentioned PK's throwing arm as a strength one time to a buddy and he said, "I've never heard anyone talk about a 1b throwing arm before." He said this while snickering and he's a freaking flubbie fan. It was a shameful moment for me and I vowed to never speak of it again...:tongue:

At least you can own up to it now! :tongue:

Billy Ashley
01-02-2008, 11:56 AM
We're in theory talking about 10 games next year where PK will DH or sit out instead of playing first. Hall actually is trained in this act even if he did injure himself last year while doing it. I imagine they will work up Fields or Crede to handle an emergency situation beyond that. There is also Thome who can do it in a pinch, though I am sure they don't want to risk his back that way unless they absoultely have to.

Obviously first base isn’t as hard as SS (my post even mentioned how it was at the low end of the defensive spectrum). I’m just saying that you’re overstating how easy it is. Lots of major league baseball players have been complete liabilities to their team while playing 1b (Dunn, Sexson, Giambi, Ortiz, Fielder, Fielder part 2 and so on). Other none first basemen who have tried to transfer to first have failed as well (Piazza, Javy Lopez, Wily Mo Pena failed over a season in the winter leagues, and so on).

Will this be a problem for the white sox in 08? Not likely, as you have argued the back up for Konerko is likely not going to be in the field all that much anyway. Additionally, Ozzie can simply play Fields and Crede at first a lot in the spring and one who handles it better could play first while the other plays first plays third in those 10-12 games that Konerko is off or DHing. I just take philosophical issue with the notion that any major league player can learn to be a good defensive 1b; that takes months of experience and some natural ability.

Generally, unless a team has a back up 1b as good with the glove as Albert Pujols (his fielding is often times understandably overlooked) or Doug Mentkiealkjsdlsajfvich or Casey Kotchmen, the back up 1b doesn’t matter. Those guys could be used as defensive replacements (though of course Koltchman and Pujols would over course be starters) in later innings. That said, obtaining an elite defensive no hit first basemen to sub for Konerko in later innings would be a bit of a waste in resources as while Konerko isn’t anything special in the field, the upgrade in defense wouldn’t be worth the risk of losing a high leverage at bat later in the game.

jabrch
01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
Add in Dye and hall and you are at 5 without breaking a sweat.

A sweat...no...a rotator cuff - that's another story.

:D:

voodoochile
01-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Obviously first base isn’t as hard as SS (my post even mentioned how it was at the low end of the defensive spectrum). I’m just saying that you’re overstating how easy it is. Lots of major league baseball players have been complete liabilities to their team while playing 1b (Dunn, Sexson, Giambi, Ortiz, Fielder, Fielder part 2 and so on). Other none first basemen who have tried to transfer to first have failed as well (Piazza, Javy Lopez, Wily Mo Pena failed over a season in the winter leagues, and so on).

Will this be a problem for the white sox in 08? Not likely, as you have argued the back up for Konerko is likely not going to be in the field all that much anyway. Additionally, Ozzie can simply play Fields and Crede at first a lot in the spring and one who handles it better could play first while the other plays first plays third in those 10-12 games that Konerko is off or DHing. I just take philosophical issue with the notion that any major league player can learn to be a good defensive 1b; that takes months of experience and some natural ability.

Generally, unless a team has a back up 1b as good with the glove as Albert Pujols (his fielding is often times understandably overlooked) or Doug Mentkiealkjsdlsajfvich or Casey Kotchmen, the back up 1b doesn’t matter. Those guys could be used as defensive replacements (though of course Koltchman and Pujols would over course be starters) in later innings. That said, obtaining an elite defensive no hit first basemen to sub for Konerko in later innings would be a bit of a waste in resources as while Konerko isn’t anything special in the field, the upgrade in defense wouldn’t be worth the risk of losing a high leverage at bat later in the game.

I agree with what you are saying, my point remains (and you seem to agree) that having a good fielding backup first baseman isn't that important to a team's success. It's not even worth discussing.

Oh and Giambi for all his defensive faults at 1B won the 2000 MVP over Frank because he played that crappy 1B. PHG dubbed him the lumbering ox and it's so true. Of course bias against guys who play the position DH is a discussion for another thread...

Billy Ashley
01-02-2008, 12:32 PM
I agree with what you are saying, my point remains (and you seem to agree) that having a good fielding backup first baseman isn't that important to a team's success. It's not even worth discussing.

Oh and Giambi for all his defensive faults at 1B won the 2000 MVP over Frank because he played that crappy 1B. PHG dubbed him the lumbering ox and it's so true. Of course bias against guys who play the position DH is a discussion for another thread...

I thought Giambi won it due to the fact that not only did he have an incredible season with the bat but also the state of California was able to reduce its water budget by 60% by simply paying a club house attendant to follow Giambi with a sponge over the course of the season. Those sponges ended some pretty nasty wild fires.

In all seriousness, the thought “Damn it, I wish we had a good defensive baseman as a back up!” might run through the minds of posters on this board 3 or 4 times over the course of the season. You’re absolutely right, of all the things to worry about this is not an important one.

tick53
01-02-2008, 01:22 PM

No he wouldn't have I agree. But sooner or later we may need a 1B of his caliber. Billy Beane was sure happy to get him.