PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 12-28

Lip Man 1
12-27-2007, 12:44 PM
December 28, 1993 - As part of an effort to replace Ellis Burks, Sox G.M. Ron Schueler inks journeyman outfielder Darrin Jackson to a contract. D.J. would replace Burks just fine with ten homers, 51 RBI’s, seven stolen bases and a .312 average in the strike shortened season. He’s now the team’s color analyst for televised games.
----------

NOTE: Folks...with this our 'This Date In Sox History' series has come to a close. I don't want to keep running and running the same things (with an occasional update) over and over and over.

The sense that I have gotten from you is that you enjoyed reading it very much and I'm glad for that. Nothing pleased me more then when fans posted memories of a particular event or asked questions or discussed a related memory.

What I will do is send these files to George in the hopes that he can find a permanent location for them at his web site where fans can check on them at their convenience sort of like what we did with our Sox Uniform Numbers series.

Again I'm glad you enjoyed this. The White Sox have had a lot of history in the 100 plus years they have been around, sometimes it was good, sometimes pathetic but they were never boring.

Lip

soltrain21
12-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Lip,

Thanks for all of these. They were a delight to read.

Medford Bobby
12-27-2007, 01:02 PM
I found this site keeps up with daily White Sox history....:smile:

http://journals.aol.com/dmarran359/Soxalmanac/

chisox77
12-27-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks, Lip. I enjoyed the gems you provided. So, the last entry features DJ? What an ending!

:cool:

WisSoxFan
12-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Lip,

Thanks for the great feature. I looked forward to reading these daily. May I suggest that you continue to do it once a year on Oct. 26? I think that is a day we all like to remember.

Thanks again.

tebman
12-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Let me add my thanks too, Lip! If it's practical, it would be nice to have a "This Date In Sox History" button or popup window or something similar that would update itself based on the date. The pieces really are fun to read.

stl_sox_fan
12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Lip,
Ditto everything previously said.
I loved reading these.

Many Thanks!

white sox bill
12-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Lip don't think we didn't appreciate all the time you took. As I said before, what a memory you must have!

santo=dorf
12-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Ellis Burks in 1993: .275/.352/.441 114 OPS+
DJ in 1994:.312/.362/.455 111 OPS+
Pretty similiar

Take a look a Burks' line when he went to Colorado in 1994: .322/.388/.678 154 OPS+ :o:
Splits:
Home: .369/.423/.815/1.238
Road: .286/.362/.571/.933
Diff: .083/.061/.244/.305

LITTLE NELL
12-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks Lip and "Thanks For The Memories".

Brian26
12-27-2007, 09:12 PM
Lip-

You did a great job. I always enjoyed these posts and the discussions that followed.

Railsplitter
12-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I understand where you're coming from.

Frater Perdurabo
12-28-2007, 08:25 AM
Didn't the Sox ever do anything on Dec. 29, 30 or 31? :redneck

Thank you, Lip! Because of this feature, I've learned a lot about the Sox and gotten to reminisce about things I did remember, but had stored away in the dusty corners of my brain.

:supernana:

aryzner
12-28-2007, 11:08 AM
What I will do is send these files to George in the hopes that he can find a permanent location for them at his web site where fans can check on them at their convenience sort of like what we did with our Sox Uniform Numbers series.

I love reading this stuff every day. It's great to remember things I thought I had forgotten about the Sox, as well as (a young fan like me) learn new things about them that I never knew.

I wonder if the mods can make some sort of script or something that can sticky this at the top of the Sox Clubhouse board and have it change the date every day so that we can still have this, and also have it be update-able as well. (I was looking forward to next year's April and reading about Mark's no-hitter this past season.)

Maybe that is too much to request, though. Thanks for making these threads every day - I really enjoy them! :smile:

fisk4ever
12-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the thousands of well-written, well-selected articles. It was a wonderful contribution.

santo=dorf
12-28-2007, 02:34 PM
I love reading this stuff every day. It's great to remember things I thought I had forgotten about the Sox, as well as (a young fan like me) learn new things about them that I never knew.

I wonder if the mods can make some sort of script or something that can sticky this at the top of the Sox Clubhouse board and have it change the date every day so that we can still have this, and also have it be update-able as well. (I was looking forward to next year's April and reading about Mark's no-hitter this past season.)
Did you check out the link Medford Bobby posted? It too is put together by a guy who is a die hard Sox fan and is a sports editor.

WhiteSoxJunkie
12-28-2007, 08:38 PM
Lip

Have you ever thought about publishing a "This Day in White Sox History" book?

PKalltheway
12-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the threads, I thoroughly enjoyed reading them!

JNS
12-28-2007, 09:31 PM
December 28, 1993 - As part of an effort to replace Ellis Burks, Sox G.M. Ron Schueler inks journeyman outfielder Darrin Jackson to a contract. D.J. would replace Burks just fine with ten homers, 51 RBIís, seven stolen bases and a .312 average in the strike shortened season. Heís now the teamís color analyst for televised games.
----------

NOTE: Folks...with this our 'This Date In Sox History' series has come to a close. I don't want to keep running and running the same things (with an occasional update) over and over and over.

The sense that I have gotten from you is that you enjoyed reading it very much and I'm glad for that. Nothing pleased me more then when fans posted memories of a particular event or asked questions or discussed a related memory.

Again I'm glad you enjoyed this. The White Sox have had a lot of history in the 100 plus years they have been around, sometimes it was good, sometimes pathetic but they were never boring.

Lip

Outstanding work - many thanks.

It brings back so many memories - of all kinds!

It kind of helps me set up a time-line of my life.

I am grateful for the work you have done on this.

Ziggy S
12-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Hey Lip, you should turn these into a book. I'd buy it.

soxrme
12-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all the memories you brought back. I really enjoyed reading the thread everyday.

Bucky F. Dent
01-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Much thanks, Lip.

I certainly appreciated the trips down memory lane, as well as the vast amount of new information you provided.

Thank You!