PDA

View Full Version : So......any plans for road trips next year?

santo=dorf
12-26-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm looking at the schedule, and seeing how I still have quite a bit of vacation to burn up, I'm wonder what the official road gathering for Sox fans will be this year. I don't recall one in 2007, 2006 was Cincy, and 2005 was San Diego with a mini gathering in LA (which was also a spot in 2003.)

Some possibilities (looking at weekends and unique stadiums):
Seattle: May 9th-11th
San Fran: May 16th-18th (could turn into Rowand worship series)
Tampa Bay: May 29th-June 1st
Minny: July 28th-31st
KC: August 1st-3rd

Just my opinion, but for most interesting and best timing I'd rank them:
Tampa Bay
San Fran
Seattle
KC
Minny

DumpJerry
12-26-2007, 09:32 PM
I'm sure I'll be in Cleveland for at least one series since my mom and brother now live there.

My friends are doing San Fran, but I'll have to pass on it.:whiner:

WagMan
12-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I had planned on heading out to NY in September to see the Sox @ Yanks, along with a trip to Shea and possibly Fenway.

And, my wife surprised me on Christmas with plans to hit up San Fran in May. So, I've got that goin for me.

TDog
12-26-2007, 10:28 PM
The Sox apparently will be making two weekend trips to the Bay Area this year, against the Giants in May and the A's in August. I expect to catch at least one or two games of each series. That really isn't a road trip for me, though.

I expect to be in Chicago in June. Unfortunately, the event corresponds with the Sox playing in Wrigley Field. I really wouldn't want to go to a game against the Cubs at the Cell, even if I could get tickets. Desire is moot because I would never pay scalper's prices to go to a baseball game -- and baseball is the only spectator sport that doesn't put me to sleep. For my Sox roadtrip, I will probably leave a day early so I can catch the Sox playing the Pirates at the Cell. Tickets should not be difficult.

kittle42
12-26-2007, 11:18 PM
I'll definitely go to SF. Going with Hangar.

Frontman
12-26-2007, 11:29 PM
My brother and I are talking of making the trip to Yankee stadium. My grandad saw the Sox/Yankees play there during WWII when on leave one time; thought it might be something to see before the park is gone.

BeefyD
12-27-2007, 07:12 AM
My buddy and my brother are making the trip to see the Yankees vs. Sox in September. We need to see the house that Ruth built before its torn down. Throw in a side trip to Cooperstown with that.

whitesoxwilkes
12-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Maybe SF.

Fairly likely Tampa Bay.

Definitely the second Baltimore series.

DumpJerry
12-27-2007, 07:35 AM
I'll definitely go to SF. Going with Hangar.
Bring extra tin foil.

soxfanatlanta
12-27-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm going to try to make it to Tampa this year; it's too damn close for me to miss out.

cws05champ
12-27-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm looking at the schedule, and seeing how I still have quite a bit of vacation to burn up, I'm wonder what the official road gathering for Sox fans will be this year. I don't recall one in 2007, 2006 was Cincy, and 2005 was San Diego with a mini gathering in LA (which was also a spot in 2003.)

Some possibilities (looking at weekends and unique stadiums):
Seattle: May 9th-11th
San Fran: May 16th-18th (could turn into Rowand worship series)
Tampa Bay: May 29th-June 1st
Minny: July 28th-31st
KC: August 1st-3rd

Just my opinion, but for most interesting and best timing I'd rank them:
Tampa Bay
San Fran
Seattle
KC
Minny

What about the group tickets that FENWAY was going to put together for the Boston series late August? I think that I will go regardless of any group tickets.

Mr.1Dog
12-27-2007, 08:13 AM
I am going to try to make it to San Fran in May. Ever since going to AT&T two years ago I have wanted to go back really bad. With the Sox playing there, I now have even more reason to go. It would be really sweet to see Thome hit one into the Cove also.:cool:

MarySwiss
12-27-2007, 08:15 AM
If there's another WSI gathering, I'm planning on making the trip in for it.

Memorial Day weekend worked well last year, except for the minor detail of the game getting called because of rain that had stopped. :angry:

skottyj242
12-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Definitely the second Baltimore series.

Can I come again?

I want to hit the west coast for the Angels then go to San Fran for the Giants. We are also looking for a Thursday weekend where both the Mets and Yanks will be at home and knock out both of those. As of right now we are planning on going to Memphis for the Civil Rights games then my boss (who is from Detroit) is talking about taking us to Detroit for the first weekend series in April.

skottyj242
12-27-2007, 08:42 AM

There were a bunch of us in Philly/Pitt last year.

santo=dorf
12-27-2007, 09:11 AM
There were a bunch of us in Philly/Pitt last year.
Oh yeah, that's right.

Looks liks the SF series is gaining momentum. There are usually a ton of Sox fans for the Tampa series because of the large number of Chicago retirees, and Contreras has about 50 of his friends and family in the crowd. :o:

beasly213
12-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I think I'm going to try to make it up to Toronto.

I've never been there and always have wanted to go to "Sky Dome" now Rogers Center.

Anyone who has not been to Clevelands park I highly suggest you make the drive. It's an awesome park.

Anybody been to the Rogers Center? How is it/any bad seats I should avoid?

jenn2080
12-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Memphis is for sure and then I don't know. I am going to NYC to see a Yankees game and Mets game in May since that is the only time they are home together. I doubt I will go to SF since I will be going to Memphis and NYC.

LauraJ14
12-27-2007, 05:02 PM
My sister and I are planning on Anaheim and SF in May.
I would love to do NY in Sept for Sox and Yankees - maybe I will talk my dad into that trip since he is the diehard fan and never goes to any parks but the Cell.

HITMEN OF 77
12-27-2007, 05:53 PM
As usual, I'll make the trip to Seattle. San Fran might be in the plans as well.

SoxNation05
12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
I had planned on heading out to NY in September to see the Sox @ Yanks, along with a trip to Shea and possibly Fenway.

And, my wife surprised me on Christmas with plans to hit up San Fran in May. So, I've got that goin for me.
I will be there.

gogosox16
12-27-2007, 10:01 PM
I will be there.
I will be there and I will also be going to Fenway Park next season for the first time.

DumpJerry
12-27-2007, 11:55 PM
Probably will be in Memphis. My friend Elvis wants to see me.

Cat Thief
12-28-2007, 07:33 AM

I've never been there and always have wanted to go to "Sky Dome" now Rogers Center.

Anyone who has not been to Clevelands park I highly suggest you make the drive. It's an awesome park.

I was just at the Rogers Centre for a concert. IMO it's a dump.

whitesoxwilkes
12-28-2007, 07:41 AM
Can I come again?

I want to hit the west coast for the Angels then go to San Fran for the Giants. We are also looking for a Thursday weekend where both the Mets and Yanks will be at home and knock out both of those. As of right now we are planning on going to Memphis for the Civil Rights games then my boss (who is from Detroit) is talking about taking us to Detroit for the first weekend series in April.

Of course you can.

hi im skot
12-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Has anyone actually purchased tickets to the Sox/Yankees series in September? I can't find anything on the Yankees site about individual game tickets.

Also, anyone have any recommendations regarding airfare and lodging in NY?

ChiSox Fan 68
12-28-2007, 08:41 AM
My hubby and I and another couple are heading to Memphis for the Civil Rights game. It's my 40th birthday that weekend so when my husband asked how I wanted to celebrate, I said "Let's so see the Sox!". We got pretty good seats - 4th row on the Sox dugout side (about two sections over from the dugout). We're staying at the Peabody and looking forward to hitting Beale Street after the game.

We are also doing the Anaheim/San Fran roadtrip in May. That will be great - haven't been to the park in Anaheim but have been to see the Giants a few times. Terrific park - and it will be extra cool to actually see the Sox there.

DumpJerry
12-28-2007, 09:37 AM
My hubby and I and another couple are heading to Memphis for the Civil Rights game. It's my 40th birthday that weekend so when my husband asked how I wanted to celebrate, I said "Let's so see the Sox!". We got pretty good seats - 4th row on the Sox dugout side (about two sections over from the dugout). We're staying at the Peabody and looking forward to hitting Beale Street after the game.

We are also doing the Anaheim/San Fran roadtrip in May. That will be great - haven't been to the park in Anaheim but have been to see the Giants a few times. Terrific park - and it will be extra cool to actually see the Sox there.
How/where did you buy tickets to the Civil Rights game?

skottyj242
12-28-2007, 10:03 AM
How/where did you buy tickets to the Civil Rights game?

You can get them on MLB.com. I just bought them. I actually googled Civil Rights Game tickets and it was the first thing. They charge you 3.50 just to mail them. The outfield box were the cheapest and they were thirty bucks.

ChiSox Fan 68
12-28-2007, 10:09 AM
You can get them on MLB.com. I just bought them. I actually googled Civil Rights Game tickets and it was the first thing. They charge you 3.50 just to mail them. The outfield box were the cheapest and they were thirty bucks.

I looked at the seat selections online but ended up calling down to the Auto Zone box office. Talked to a nice fellow down there and asked him to get me as close to the Sox dugout as he could. But Auto Zone only gets certain tickets and the rest are sold on MLB.com so you might want to check both options.

Here's the link to the MLB.com event info and tickets: http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/mlb/events/civil_rights_game/y2008/index.jsp?partnerId=2007hp_tixcomponent_nym_tab5&affiliateID=2007hp_tixcomponent_nym_tab5

skottyj242
12-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Hey Dump, I'm looking at hotels right now, where is the ballpark in location to the airport? We're driving but on hotels.com the closest landmark in the airport. I know you said you have been there.

DumpJerry
12-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Hey Dump, I'm looking at hotels right now, where is the ballpark in location to the airport? We're driving but on hotels.com the closest landmark in the airport. I know you said you have been there.
I don't relly remember. Since the park is in the heart of downtown Memphis, the airport is not real close. I'm thinking it's probably a 20-30 minute drive. You might want to PM Jurr, he used to live there. Other than the Peabody, there are plenty of other hotels in downtown. I'm sure the Peabody is your most expensive option, but the most convenient since it is literally right across the street from the ballpark.

Any place in downtown is not a bad walk to the park, it's a lot smaller than Chicago's downtown.

While driving down, you have to listen to Elvis CD's to get in the right frame of mind.

Robin and I would probably stay at her parents' place in Jackson, Tenn. which is about an hour or so away.

rmusacch
12-28-2007, 10:42 AM

Memphis is not that big of a city. Anywhere you stay will be accesible to the ballpark.

skottyj242
12-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks Dudeskis.

jenn2080
12-28-2007, 11:23 AM
I don't relly remember. Since the park is in the heart of downtown Memphis, the airport is not real close. I'm thinking it's probably a 20-30 minute drive. You might want to PM Jurr, he used to live there. Other than the Peabody, there are plenty of other hotels in downtown. I'm sure the Peabody is your most expensive option, but the most convenient since it is literally right across the street from the ballpark.

Any place in downtown is not a bad walk to the park, it's a lot smaller than Chicago's downtown.

While driving down, you have to listen to Elvis CD's to get in the right frame of mind.

Robin and I would probably stay at her parents' place in Jackson, Tenn. which is about an hour or so away.

I saw that there is a Doubletree next to Peabody. I think that is where we will be staying.

Fenway
12-28-2007, 11:34 AM
I saw that there is a Doubletree next to Peabody. I think that is where we will be staying.

When you go to Graceland make sure your credit cards have a nice limit. Nobody sucks money out of visitors better than Elvis Inc.

Jenn you still have to consider Boston as you need a good Chinese meal :tongue:

http://www.agilitynut.com/05/7/kowloon.jpg

DumpJerry
12-28-2007, 11:37 AM
When you go to Graceland make sure your credit cards have a nice limit. Nobody sucks money out of visitors better than Elvis Inc.

Fenway, aren't you supposed to be on an airplane right now?

jenn2080
12-28-2007, 11:37 AM

http://www.agilitynut.com/05/7/kowloon.jpg

The Kowloon RULES! I miss that place. Best food out there.

chisoxmike
12-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Angels & Giants trips are in the waiting for airline trips to be made available stage right now.

skottyj242
12-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Angels & Giants trips are in the waiting for airline trips to be made available stage right now.

I'm in the getting ready to punch you in the face stage right now.

thedudeabides
12-28-2007, 11:47 AM
My brother is in Boston and is moving after this year, so I'll be going to Fenway. I'm really going to try to get to San Fran, as well. Just having a hard time getting others to commit.

As other posters have mentioned, going to Cleveland for a series is always a good time.

skottyj242
12-28-2007, 11:49 AM
My brother is in Boston and is moving after this year, so I'll be going to Fenway. I'm really going to try to get to San Fran, as well. Just having a hard time getting others to commit.

As other posters have mentioned, going to Cleveland for a series is always a good time.

I haven't really looked at the schedule but are they out there on a weekend? We went last year and had a good time, it was way cold though.

thedudeabides
12-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I haven't really looked at the schedule but are they out there on a weekend? We went last year and had a good time, it was way cold though.

The San Fran series is on a weekend. I always thought May was one of the nicest months there, but I'm not sure.

DumpJerry
12-28-2007, 11:57 AM

Espcially when the locals stay home......

No weekends, but they are there on Labor Day Monday.

skottyj242
12-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey Dusty Wilkes, Baltimore is during the week? I will have to be out on that one probably. That sucks.

I was talking about Cleveland being cold, not San Fran a few posts ago.

thedudeabides
12-28-2007, 12:02 PM
Sorry Skotty,

I thought you were talking about SF. I don't think the Sox have a weekend series in Cleveland this year.

DumpJerry
12-28-2007, 12:05 PM
The Sox are in Cleveland on Labor Day. No weekends.

jenn2080
12-28-2007, 12:10 PM
I think Detroit maybe my weekend series this year.

Soxman219
12-28-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm definitely going to San Fran and LA since I have family out there. Then I will go to KC, Minn, and Det for some games.

ChetChat
12-29-2007, 10:44 AM
Definitely the Boston Labor Day weekend. My season ticket holder best buddy out there has already earmarked Saturday and Sunday for us
:cool:
Very disappointed that Baltimore is a weekday series, maybe I'll get out there on business.

soxwon
01-02-2008, 02:16 PM
march 28-29 memphis to see sox-mets
apr 4-5-6 detroit to sweep the tigers

Brian26
01-02-2008, 07:42 PM
apr 4-5-6 detroit to sweep the tigers

On what planet is this going to happen?

Dr_Comiskey90
01-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Im headed to the Jake and Comerica, since im from Oregon, OH (Look it up, its a nice city). The Cell and Wrigley Field (my dads a cubs fan...what can i say) and it looks like alot of you are headed west to KC for a series, im going to try to swing at that, but idk yet
on an unrealted topic, on the scroller at the top it says "Nick-Welcome to the south side", I caught that with my eye and thought it was talking to me lol (since my name is nick also)

nccwsfan
01-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Both series in Baltimore and Yankee Stadium for the Wednesday night game.

drewcifer
01-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Both series in Baltimore and Yankee Stadium for the Wednesday night game.

I usually hook up with my bros (I have 2 younger ones) for games at Camden every year. They live close to Baltimore.

That's our ritual - I generally come home remembering little else. :redneck

batmanZoSo
01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Machu Picchu.

Upstate NY.

Detroit, perhaps, for a baseball contest.

whitesoxwilkes
01-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Upstate NY.

Why not go see the Rochester Red Wings, Batavia Muckdogs, Penn Yan Yankees or Buffalo Bisons?

batmanZoSo
01-05-2008, 08:54 PM
There's a lot of wine out there. That'll probably take up most of my time. And some drunk motorboating.

whitesoxwilkes
01-05-2008, 09:19 PM
There's a lot of wine out there. That'll probably take up most of my time. And some drunk motorboating.

There's no lakes quite like the Finger Lakes. While it's not Sonoma by any stretch, there's some great wineries down there and the scenery in the Italy Valley area is ****ing amazing.

Cavahoo
01-06-2008, 07:45 AM
I will be at all 5 games in Baltimore for sure

whitesoxwilkes
01-06-2008, 08:57 AM
I will be at all 5 games in Baltimore for sure

Pickles Pub.

Cavahoo
01-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Pickles Pub.
You know I'll be there. How you fixed for tickets? O's single game tickets go on sale Saturday I think. With the state of things in Baltimore, good tickets should be easy to come by...not even sure my section 48 connection is renewing.

whitesoxwilkes
01-10-2008, 08:22 AM
You know I'll be there. How you fixed for tickets? O's single game tickets go on sale Saturday I think. With the state of things in Baltimore, good tickets should be easy to come by...not even sure my section 48 connection is renewing.

I think I'm good to go. I have a hookup within the team that I'll probably use, but keep me posted on what you've got going on.

Pasqua's Posers
01-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I will be going to the San Fran series in May. I will be at the Saturday night game. As usual, I will be adorned in home white pin-striped "SOUTH SIDE" on the back. I'm sticking around until Tuesday cuz I'm going to see the A's monday night as the first leg in my Ballparks Tour 2008.

In July, I'm hitting Shea Stadium on the 27th, Yankee Stadium on the 28th, Fenway on the 29th, and the Nationals park on the 30th. 4 parks in 5 days...:D: :bandance:

Paulwny
01-12-2008, 10:23 AM

Be aware of the new rules for re-entry into the US starting Jan 31. In addition to a driver's license you'll need to show a Birth Certificate, Passport, etc, for proof of citizenship.
Children age 18 and under will also be required to show proof of citizenship.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/249601.html

jenn2080
01-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know any hotels near Comerica? I would like a hotel within a 3 -5 block radius of the stadium.

D. TODD
01-15-2008, 01:22 PM
San Fran.

possibly Toronto, & Tampa Bay

jenn2080
01-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Be aware of the new rules for re-entry into the US starting Jan 31. In addition to a driver's license you'll need to show a Birth Certificate, Passport, etc, for proof of citizenship.
Children age 18 and under will also be required to show proof of citizenship.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/249601.html

So does that mean that we can go to Canada without a passport as long as we have our birth cert?

Oblong
01-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know any hotels near Comerica? I would like a hotel within a 3 -5 block radius of the stadium.

I replied to your PM. For any other Chicago-ans looking to make a trip to Detroit this year, be aware that ticket demand has shot up bit time this year for the Tigers, even after 3 million last year. 4500 new season tickets were sold since the Cabrera trade and there's talk of shutting down any more sales. (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/SPORTS0104/801150402/&imw=Y) Could be a sellout before the season starts.

chisoxmike
01-15-2008, 02:02 PM

I stayed at a Holiday Inn near the stadium (Chicago Ave?). We walked to the games when we were there in August 2006.

Paulwny
01-15-2008, 02:05 PM
So does that mean that we can go to Canada without a passport as long as we have our birth cert?

It looks that way according to the article. I'd take at least 2 forms of citizenship including one picture ID.

jenn2080
01-15-2008, 02:05 PM
I replied to your PM. For any other Chicago-ans looking to make a trip to Detroit this year, be aware that ticket demand has shot up bit time this year for the Tigers, even after 3 million last year. 4500 new season tickets were sold since the Cabrera trade and there's talk of shutting down any more sales. (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/SPORTS0104/801150402/&imw=Y) Could be a sellout before the season starts.

That is crazy!

Anyone planning on going to a game there the first wekeend?

Paulwny
01-15-2008, 02:20 PM

It looks that way according to the article. I'd take at least 2 forms of citizenship including one picture ID.

Actually, the new rules apply for re-entry into the US.
The US Gov't is requiring other forms of citizenship in addition to a US driver's lisc.
Going into Canada is easy, returning to the US is becoming more complicated.

jenn2080
01-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Actually, the new rules apply for re-entry into the US.
The US Gov't is requiring other forms of citizenship in addition to a US driver's lisc.
Going into Canada is easy, returning to the US is becoming more complicated.

I should check into that just in case I want to take a stroll into Canada.

doublem23
01-15-2008, 02:36 PM
I should check into that just in case I want to take a stroll into Canada.

I wouldn't recommend leaving the country anymore without a Passport.

ChiSoxGirl
01-15-2008, 08:57 PM
San Fran.

possibly Toronto, & Tampa Bay

I made this trip last year and it was phenomenal! You can read my review here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1620559&postcount=38) If you decide to make the trip and need advice on hotels or things to do, just send me a PM and I'll be glad to help you out.

whitesoxwilkes
01-15-2008, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't recommend leaving the country anymore without a Passport.

Best hundred bucks you will ever spend hands down.

Also comes in handy for ID if you lose your license.

skottyj242
01-16-2008, 09:29 AM
Pickles Pub.

I'm actually wearing my I Got Pickled at Pickles shirt as I type.

SOXfnNlansing
01-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I just received an email from Southwest Airlines. Their tickets through August 3rd are going on sale now. Thought that may help people here plan road trips.

http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/071227_mdw.html

http://www.southwest.com/hotfares/

skobabe8
01-17-2008, 07:27 PM
anyone find any good package deals to SF in May?

WhiteSox Brad
01-19-2008, 08:20 AM
I plan on going to NYC in September (Sept. 15-18) to see the Sox. Anyone know of any package deals for that series or have any useful information on attending games at Yankee Stadium?

I also plan on being in KC to see the Sox August 1-3.

moochpuppy
01-19-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm hoping to take the two hour drive north and catch the Sox in Tampa this summer.