PDA

View Full Version : Prior to Padres

thomas35forever
12-26-2007, 01:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3168825
Hopefully, this is a new beginning for him. This would be one heckuva comeback story.

jenn2080
12-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Good for him to get out of the Cubs.

soxfanatlanta
12-26-2007, 01:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3168825
Hopefully, this is a new beginning for him. This would be one heckuva comeback story.

Comeback from what? As of right now, he is a one year wonder. But, it's good that he's out of the Cubs system anyways.

doublem23
12-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Comeback from what? As of right now, he is a one year wonder. But, it's good that he's out of the Cubs system anyways.

Uh, I guess if you want to boil every thing down to cold hard stats, yes, but even in the years when he's been hurt, he was still pretty dominant, and arguably the greatest college pitcher ever.

I think we can all just thank god the Twins never got their hands on him... Potentially Santana-Prior-Liriano... :o:

soxfan21
12-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Seems like the Padres are becoming Cubs West, by adding Prior and already having Maddox and Barrett.

gogosox16
12-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Seems like the Padres are becoming Cubs West, by adding Prior and already having Maddox and Barrett.
They won't to not win the World Series for a century so the only way to do it is by taking all the players from the team that is on its 100th year!

Rocky Soprano
12-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Pretty good deal for the Padres, I wouldn't of minded the Sox signing him to something similar.

Aren't those the type of deals that KW likes?

While a pretty big injury risk, whats 1MM to give him a shot?

Max Power
12-26-2007, 02:22 PM
Damn, I would have taken a flier on him for a $1 million.

gogosox16
12-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Kenny Would rather spend that money during the year for churros

the1tab
12-26-2007, 02:32 PM
Kenny probably determined that Prior wasn't worth either the money or length of the contract, so declined to make an offer... just like Torii Hunter wasn't worth going to $18mm per, or Rowand wasn't worth another year...

Mark Prior's upside is worth $1mm. If he stops spending half of March throwing a towel at the bullpen catcher, he could become a force. Thinking about him coming out 4th behind Peavy, Chris Young and Maddux is scary if he's half of what he was in 2003.

He would have looked nice after Buehrle, Javy and.... whatever else we're calling a rotation this year, too.

HawkDJ
12-26-2007, 03:03 PM
I think we can all just thank god the Twins never got their hands on him... Potentially Santana-Prior-Liriano... :o:

Ever hear of the butterfly effect?

Had the Twins drafted Prior, they wouldn't have Mauer. Without Mauer would they have traded Pierzynski for Liriano? Who knows.

IceczMan
12-26-2007, 03:07 PM

With all things equal, I think If I was Mark Prior, I would just want to get out of Chicago and play out west where he's from.

spawn
12-26-2007, 03:17 PM
With all things equal, I think If I was Mark Prior, I would just want to get out of Chicago and play out west where he's from.
My thoughts exactly. If I were in his position, I'd want a fresh start in a new city.

stl_sox_fan
12-26-2007, 05:11 PM

Had the Twins drafted Prior, they wouldn't have Mauer. Without Mauer would they have traded Pierzynski for Liriano? Who knows.

Impressive backtracking. Remind me never to play you in Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Billy Ashley
12-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Prior signing with the Pads makes sense. Id suspect he probably could have gotten money elsewhere, his agent suggested that as many as 12 teams had contacted him. In the end though, the Pads had to look the most attractive to Prior as they play in such a great pitchers park and they have an opening in their staff. While signing for one year four million certainly is risky for Prior (as if he flames out completely who knows who will want to take a flier on him) it also allows him the greatest chance of being able to cash in for a massive contract should he have a relatively healthy season.

chisox77
12-26-2007, 08:07 PM
This is a good move for Prior.

soxfanreggie
12-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Good move for Prior to move closer to home. If he can prove something, the club doesn't have an option for him the next year so he can sign a longer, bigger deal. If he gets them 8-10 wins, he's more than worth it compared to what some pitchers get to win 10-15 games a year.

I would be surprised if the Padres didn't try to put in an option year, I would have tried $4 or 5 mil with a $300-500k buyout. If he's doing well, you can get him for another year at a "cheap" price.

I wouldn't have minded even giving him $1.2 or 1.5 (more to keep him here), but it's not like he needs the money and probably doesn't want to stay in Chicago.

HawkDJ
12-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Impressive backtracking. Remind me never to play you in Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.

Going slightly further... Would the Sox have been able to sign Pierzynski? Would they still have won the World Series?

Nellie_Fox
12-27-2007, 01:15 AM
Uh, I guess if you want to boil every thing down to cold hard stats, yes, but even in the years when he's been hurt, he was still pretty dominant, and arguably the greatest college pitcher ever.

Had the Twins drafted Prior, they wouldn't have Mauer. Without Mauer would they have traded Pierzynski for Liriano? Who knows.No. The Twins were happy with Pierzynski, but had to make room for Mauer. Not only could they not afford to have Pierzynski be a backup, but they knew he would never accept that role.

skottyj242
12-27-2007, 09:47 AM
This is a good move for Prior.

Of course it is, he gets a million bucks. When will he be able to pitch again? I thought I heard June.

kraut83
12-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Good for him. I hope he slowly works his way back this year, signs a longer-term deal with the Pads after the season, and starts to become a consistent Cy-Young candidate year after year.

slavko
12-27-2007, 11:36 AM

They got Nathan and Boof in the same trade, IIRC. The Prior deal is $1M and big incentives, I believe. My question:Is he going to change his chicken wingy pitching motion that leads to all his problems? If not, what do you suppose will happen?

Jjav829
12-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Good move by Towers. If Prior can come back healthy - obviously a big IF - he'd be one hell of a mid-season addition.

The Padres still need to add another bat, though.