PDA

View Full Version : This is the biggest load of crap I've heard in a while

RedPinStripes
04-19-2002, 06:29 AM
Sadly, trouble at home

April 19, 2002

BY JAY MARIOTTI SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

I'm all for fun at the old ballpark, having had plenty myself. But there's a difference between razzing an opponent and being an insensitive lout, whether it's a fan in the stands or a team employee who selects the music. Where I draw the line is when an athlete is mired in a family crisis, something from which none of us is immune.

You could say Cleveland Indians pitcher Chuck Finley, a father of two who allegedly was beaten up by his fairly famous wife on April 1, is having a family crisis.

It was disgusting enough the other night when White Sox fans taunted Finley with related cheap shots in the visitors' bullpen, where he warmed up before the game. But if their weak excuse is the price they paid for admission, DJ Joe Stephen had no such defense in the Comiskey Park sound booth. As the Indians were taking batting practice, Stephen decided he would ''rile up the crowd'' by poking his own fun at Finley. The pitcher's now-estranged wife is Tawny Kitaen, a B-movie actress whom you may have seen in ''Bachelor Party'' or ''California Girls.'' She once was married to David Coverdale, a Robert Plant wannabe who sang for the heavy-metal '80s band Whitesnake and gave Kitaen a provocative role in a heavy-rotation MTV video for a song called ''Here I Go Again.''

Well, guess which song our clever sound guy decided to dust off and play?

Rivalry or otherwise, this was a classless jab. Imagine if you were in a life situation and someone came by your workplace, blasting a boom-box tune ridiculing your woe. That's what Finley had to deal with. And if the sound guy wanted to rile up a crowd, he got his wish on a warm night when giddy Sox fans, enjoying a 10-5 rout of the first-place Tribe, turned the ballmall into a brawlmall and engaged in more than a dozen fights around the premises. A sports franchise that promotes a family atmosphere can't tolerate such a whirlwind of fisticuffs, especially when one of their hired hands is part of the provocation process.

Fortunately, the Sox didn't stand for it. They fired Stephen, a harsh but necessary statement about the fan experience on the South Side. A season doesn't pass without a couple of messy incidents that further mar widespread perceptions of Comiskey, already burdened by a watch-your-step neighborhood. In most cases, management hasn't responded--pooh-poohing an incident when a since-fired talk-radio host at the Sox' flagship station was pummeled outside the park, doing nothing when coins and other objects were thrown at Detroit Tigers pitchers in the bullpen, generally blaming the media when questions are raised about safety.

But this time, the Sox got it right. Not so much in dumping the sound guy--who they claim had a ''series of problems'' that forced his termination--but in sending a message that Comiskey isn't going to be Animal House if they can help it. ''We felt if Chuck took offense, we wanted to say to him, 'Hey, we've got a little bit more class than that around here,''' said general manager Ken Williams, who issued a formal apology to Finley.

The low-brow crowd on local sports radio didn't agree, with one host, the normally measured Dan Jiggetts on WSCR-AM (670), loudly protesting, ''I don't want those Cleveland guys feeling comfortable.'' This is the same ex-Bear who, oddly, complains when a lineman is criticized in the newspaper for missing a block. Look, there are times to pile on a player--when he doesn't give his best, when he's overpaid and flat-out stinks, when he's a jerk or problem child or when he does something cowardly like beat his wife. But Finley, whether the neanderthal crowd can grasp this or not, was the alleged victim here. Bruises, welts and all.

When Finley was tattooed for nine runs and knocked out of the game, nothing was wrong with hooting and hollering about his lousy pitching. Yet the snide remarks and musical selections took the charade straight into the gutter, a poor reflection on the Sox, Comiskey and the city. One day later, news broke that Finley had filed for divorce and obtained a temporary restraining order preventing Kitaen from seeing him. He also received temporary custody of the couple's two daughters, ages 9 and 3. Under oath, Finley said, ''I am fearful that [Kitaen] ... will harm herself or harm others, including me or including my children.'' Meanwhile, Kitaen acknowledged she has become addicted to prescription drugs for depression and migraines and checked into a rehab program last week.

This is something to laugh at? To parody in song? If you can't muster sympathy for Chuck and Tawny, just think of the kids.

For their next step, the Sox need to do a better job of controlling the rowdies. How this is done, I'm not sure, because the South Side tradition is loud and boisterous. But 13 fights in one night? If the natives are this feisty now, what happens when the Cubs come to Comiskey? Noting the raucousness, manager Jerry Manuel had fun with the scene, which probably didn't amuse an always-tense Sox marketing staff.

''If they could somehow promote fights like that--send them out there [during] the seventh-inning stretch every day,'' he said. ''Section 108, clear out, ding, let's go. Everybody take a breather from the game, then get back and do our thing. That guy in the Ordonez jersey, I'd promote him. He was really swinging.''

Just the sort of thing that lures a family of four to 35th and Shields. My kids want to see a ballgame this weekend. With both teams in town, I gave them a choice of Cubs or Sox, understanding they live in a neutral sports columnist's home and aren't influenced by traditional parochial pressures. Which team did they choose?

Cubs. Wrigley is cooler, they concurred.
The Sox seem to have a nice thing going this season. In slowing down the Cleveland speed train, they proved they'll have a long shelf life and might steal the back page from the Cubs, who are struggling with injuries and inconsistent bats. Even as Frank Thomas ebbs and flows, the offense is a pinball machine, dinging up runs from all sources. If the kid pitchers hold up, the playoffs are a possibility. Williams added a possible reinforcement Thursday in Jose Canseco, who was a regular contributor last year and, despite zero interest elsewhere, still has power in his bat.

All's good on the field. Now, if everyone would just behave off the field and realize, above all, a common rule of ballpark life.

Never play Whitesnake for any reason. As much as it hurts feelings, it hurts ears.

:moron
"I am neutral! It's just that i hate JR, comiskey, frank, konerko, foulke and all you **** head fans. I also fear for my life around comiskey. And who couldn't love side show sammy? My fantacy lover who plays in the best ball park in the world?"

DVG
04-19-2002, 07:17 AM

Take that, scum Sox fans!!!!! I acknowledged that your....team...
is better than my Cubbies while taking cheap shots at them, the
ballpark, the neighborhood and all else within my sphere of influence!!!!! You have the best team in town, but I've done my
best to ensure that NOBODY comes to see it!!!! Everyone will
flock to see Sammy hit 90 ding-dings for my Cubbies!!!!!

The hot button issue with me is, no one, not Mariotti or anyone
else, ever writes or talks about the ugly behavior of fans at
Wrigley. I've heard that the bleachers during games are one
big drunken brawl. But some people get out of hand at Comiskey
and they're all over it like white on rice. The Cubs propaganda
rag has been especially guilty, big surprise. Then people will read
it and believe it, shrinking attendance even further. I wish that
both papers had a sense of editorial balance. We desparately
need Sox fans in the media to counter smirking creeps with an
obvious agenda, i.e. Morrissey and Mariotti, among others. They
can't pile on the Sox for playing poorly, so they have to find
other reasons. Maybe the Cubbies will go on a big two game
winning streak. Then they can go out to Wrigley like the idiots
that they are and drool over Sosa. I'd rather see them do that
then reach to the bottom of the barrell for their anti-Sox, anti-
Comiskey, anti-Reinsdorf, anti-Sox fans invective.

:prozac

Gulp. There. Feeling much better now.

sox_fan_4life
04-19-2002, 07:27 AM
Just one more bit of proof that Moronotti is a scrubs fan. He has already brainwashed his kids into believing that it is better to go to a "cool" stadium and watch a loser than go to see winners.

And for some reason, just knowing that he was allowed to reproduce is scary. I thought he would have been a perfect candidate for a forced government sterilization program.

GASHWOUND
04-19-2002, 07:48 AM
:chunks

Viva Magglio
04-19-2002, 07:55 AM
Neutral columnist's home?

:iron
Who you crappin'?

moochpuppy
04-19-2002, 08:54 AM
I don't remember the Cubs getting this much press for when one of their fans took a Dodgers players hat that started a fight between the players and fans. Or when that idiot Cubs fan ran onto the field during a game to try and attack Randy Myers.

Hey dufus, this crap happens at every park once and awhile. Last year here at the dome, batteries were thrown at LF Chuck Knoblauch and Twins games are usually pretty tame.

Somebody please take away this guys ability to write.

Lisa
04-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Well, reading anything Moronotti has to say is a waste of my time. But since I'm at work, I guess wasting time isn't so bad.

I do agree that the guy should have been fired (and I know that wasn't the part you guys were discussing). But ya know what? Sox fans aren't any worse than other baseball fans. I would say the Cubs fans are WAY worse, as far as getting out of control, because they don't have the restraint of actually wanting to watch the game. They can just wander around Wrigley because it's "cooler". Idiots.

BUT - that crap about it not being safe at Comiskey - please. There have been more incidents at Wrigley than Comiskey. I'm so tired of hearing how scary the big, bad south side is.

I guess the Cubs suck and the Sox are good, so he had to find something. God forbid he should praise the Sox - even as a NEUTRAL columnist. What a joke.

"13 fights at one game?!? How ridiculous. They should drink until they pass out like they do at Wrigley. They even serve my kids - that's why they think it's so much cooler at Wrigley."

Vsahajpal
04-19-2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Bucktown

This is code for "too many african-americans." So, now we know why he likes the North side. He is surrounded by his racist buddies.

I think we should barage the Trib with an email campaign calling for an apology and some sensitivity training.

He writes (and I use that term loosely) for the Sun-Times.

Dadawg_77
04-19-2002, 09:27 AM
I got to give credit where credit is due. His last line is right on the line, at to my ears. But the rest of it is just junk.

foulkesfan11
04-19-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Sadly, trouble at home

April 19, 2002

BY JAY MARIOTTI SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

But 13 fights in one night? :moron

Take a trip up north pal if you want to see fights. At least we don't steal hat's off of ballplayers heads!

Bucktown
04-19-2002, 09:56 AM
I am very concerned about Jay Mariotti's use of the phrase "watch-your-step neighborhood" to describe the South Side neighborhood around Comiskey Park. What does that mean? Why do we continue to scare people away from the South Side? My impression, and it would be nice to see the research, is that there is a greater incidence of violence surrounding Wrigley Field.

When I visit Chicago I am very comfortable taking the bus to the Sox games. I am frequently the only white person on the bus, but when I look up at the people around me they are generally friendly faces concentrating on the details of their lives: getting to school; returning from work; attending church.

Why do we continue to disparage their neighborhood and their greatest source of pride, Comiskey Park? This is a working class neighborhood. I coudn't imagine a better place for a baseball park.

Go Sox!

MarqSox
04-19-2002, 10:31 AM
I am very concerned about Jay Mariotti's use of the phrase "watch-your-step neighborhood" to describe the South Side neighborhood around Comiskey Park. What does that mean? Why do we continue to scare people away from the South Side? My impression, and it would be nice to see the research, is that there is a greater incidence of violence surrounding Wrigley Field.

Though I really don't know what goes on in Moronotti's head (scary thought), I'm not so sure he's being racist here. It's possible, but I think he's probably referring to the (white) local punks who feel any non-Bridgeport Sox fan is a target of assault. I don't know what it is with those goons, but they have a real tendency to harrass "outsiders." I know people who have had rocks and beer bottles thrown at them while walking the Bridgeport area after a Sox game. This isn't a racist issue, this is a thug issue.

No-Neck
04-19-2002, 10:58 AM
I cancelled my Sun-times subscription last year, and after reading this liar's rag column, I'm elated that the Sun-Times doesn't get one thin dime from me.

Remember, this is the same so-called "journalist" who led the way for Ditka getting fired, claiming over and over again about ushering in the "Wanny Era".

He's a liar because after the White Flag trade, he said he would not let his kids go to Comiskey. Now he gives them a choice? Do you think he would even consider his kid's option to go Comiskey?
Morons don't do that.

I hate this creep. He never has an original thought in his liitle brain that was constructive.

Let the Wanny Era begin!

Procol Harum
04-19-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by moochpuppy

Ya can't take away something he never had...

ChiSoxBobette
04-19-2002, 11:48 AM
I read the idiots colum today and all this guy does is bash the White Sox, I e-mailed the sun-times sports staff abck and like I said to them it seems that when the White Sox are going good we here only the negative - WHAT ABOUT THE TEAM & HOW IT"S PLAYING, I also e-mailed Mike Nadel in the Bekins News sports section and pointed out the same , but of course I was e-mailed back and told I was Reinsdorf Jr. because it is'nt the medias fault. Even though all you read about is garbage like what moronottis wrote today
GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!

NUCatsFan
04-19-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by No-Neck
I cancelled my Sun-times subscription last year, and after reading this liar's rag column, I'm elated that the Sun-Times doesn't get one thin dime from me.

Remember, this is the same so-called "journalist" who led the way for Ditka getting fired, claiming over and over again about ushering in the "Wanny Era".

Man, who'd have thought that Clueless would have been the best of the Chicago sportswriters (John Kass excluded, of course)

voodoochile
04-19-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by moochpuppy
I don't remember the Cubs getting this much press for when one of their fans took a Dodgers players hat that started a fight between the players and fans. Or when that idiot Cubs fan ran onto the field during a game to try and attack Randy Myers.

Hey dufus, this crap happens at every park once and awhile. Last year here at the dome, batteries were thrown at LF Chuck Knoblauch and Twins games are usually pretty tame.

How can you take away that which he never had...

Please Jay, stick to writing about the Blackhawks, that was just pure garbage...

Think we can start a letter writing campaign to get him fired like people did with Lincicome at the Trib?

Nellie_Fox
04-19-2002, 12:15 PM
My impression, and it would be nice to see the research, is that there is a greater incidence of violence surrounding Wrigley Field.
Here (http://12.17.79.6/ctznicam/ctznicam.asp?cmd=intr) is a site the Chicago Police Department has where you can get your own answer to those questions. Type in a location and the size of radius around that location along with a time period and you can find out what crime has occurred there. It's kind of fun.

cheeses_h_rice
04-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Here (http://12.17.79.6/ctznicam/ctznicam.asp?cmd=intr) is a site the Chicago Police Department has where you can get your own answer to those questions. Type in a location and the size of radius around that location along with a time period and you can find out what crime has occurred there. It's kind of fun.

Crimes from April 1 to April 12:

1/2 mile of 35th & Shields and 1/2 mile of Clark & Addison:

Personal - 9 / 21
Property - 15 / 38
Society (drugs) - 16 / 2
Domestic - 6 / 3

Total = 46 / 64

So exactly WHICH neighborhood is a "watch-your-step" one?

Chisox353014
04-19-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

How can you take away that which he never had...

Please Jay, stick to writing about the Blackhawks, that was just pure garbage...

AHHH! His column about the Hawks yesterday was just as bad! Here's an example of his amazing hockey "insight":

"We're happy to make the playoffs--don't get me wrong--but there's still work to be done,'' said Steve Passmore, who had better be the starting goalie in Game 1."

"Sutter won't announce his starter until this morning, and if it's not Passmore, he's nuts."

"Problem is, the Hawks have their own goaltending dilemma. The last thing Sutter wants to do is offset his terrific deeds with the wrong call. The right call is Passmore, whose lack of playoff experience can be overlooked when compared with his winning play of late."

What happened? Yep, as 90% of Hawks fans knew he would, Sutter started Thibault. Thibault made 34 saves and was tremendous.

Think we can start a letter writing campaign to get him fired like people did with Lincicome at the Trib?

Sounds good to me. At the very least, now that we have his email address, someone should send him a large amount of endlessly repeating spam. :cool:

Chisox353014
04-19-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

I posted some results from that site in the other Moronotti thread. You can map out exactly where the crimes take place. Here are those stats are again:
Crime stats for Comiskey (http://12.17.79.6/ctzntemp/cx5680193720811.htm) .
Crime stats for Wrigley (http://12.17.79.6/ctzntemp/cx5681193729669.htm) .
This is for the last 2 weeks, in a one-mile radius around each park.
You're just as likely to be assaulted near Wrigley. More likely, actually, if you stay out of the Taylor homes area. Think that will ever be reported by anyone in the Chicago media?

PANFIRECRACKER
04-19-2002, 12:48 PM
I guess there's only one thing to do. Win the whole F'ing thing!

C'mon- fights, bare breasts in the outfield and a sweep of a hated rival? You gotta' be kiddin'. I went to two games this week. This has been without a doubt the most fun I've EVER had at sox games. It's not the winning. It's the solid play they've shown. Ray is thinking and bunting well. Lofton is insanely good. Situational hitting is the norm and either the catchers are calling a better game or the pitchers stopped taking their stupid pills and laxatives. Anyone who doesn't want to go to a game this year doesn't know anything about baseball. Stop reading the rags. The game is played on the field.

RedPinStripes
04-19-2002, 01:26 PM
I doubt Jay will listen, but i sent him and dumbass north an invitation to listen to sox-and-roll today as the listeners and ourselves shread him to bits.

rmusacch
04-19-2002, 02:43 PM
Just the sort of thing that lures a family of four to 35th and Shields. My kids want to see a ballgame this weekend. With both teams in town, I gave them a choice of Cubs or Sox, understanding they live in a neutral sports columnist's home and aren't influenced by traditional parochial pressures. Which team did they choose?

That is scary to think he has kids.

rmusacch
04-19-2002, 02:58 PM
Sadly, trouble at home

Yeah it is sad that his kids want to go to Wrigley instead of Comiskey.

voodoochile
04-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Yeah it is sad that his kids want to go to Wrigley instead of Comiskey.

Come on, do you really think they had a choice? If the kids had said we want to go to Comiskey, Jay would have found an excuse not to. He hasn't set foot in that place in years - if ever... I doubt he even asked them, it just sounds good in his article...

bc2k
04-20-2002, 01:23 AM
Also, last year a Cubs fan stole a wheelchair of another fan while leaving Wrigley Field.

doublem23
04-20-2002, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Also, last year a Cubs fan stole a wheelchair of another fan while leaving Wrigley Field.

And we can't forget the "Aunt Jemima" remarks directed to... uh.. man, my mind is on vacation... the lady from the Sun-Times... That was real classless.

DVG
04-20-2002, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

And we can't forget the "Aunt Jemima" remarks directed to... uh.. man, my mind is on vacation... the lady from the Sun-Times... That was real classless.

Mary Mitchell was the Sun-Times columnist to whom that happened. Good thing it didn't happen outside of Comiskey.
Mariotti would've portrayed all Sox fans as coming to the park
with KKK hoods ready to burn crosses and harass any minority
that gets in the way.

Tragg
04-20-2002, 07:41 PM

This is code for "too many african-americans." So, now we know why he likes the North side. He is surrounded by his racist buddies.

I think we should start an email campaign calling for an apology and some sensitivity training.

Exactly - moronotti's latent racism rears its ugly self a few times a year. Reminds me of that ridiculous column he wrote last year calling the sox scum for taking out a player at second, but patting the cubs on the back for doing the same thing.

Bucktown
04-23-2002, 07:31 PM
I got a call from the Sun-Times today asking verifying this email came from me. Apparently, they are considering publishing it. We'll see.

When I visit Chicago I am very comfortable taking the bus to the Sox games. I am frequently the only white person on the bus, but when I look up at the people around me they are generally friendly faces concentrating on the details of their lives: getting to school; returning from work; attending church.

Why do we continue to disparage their neighborhood and their greatest source of pride, Comiskey Park? This is a working class neighborhood. I coudn't imagine a better place for a baseball park.

Go Sox!

nut_stock
04-24-2002, 12:24 AM
Sadly, trouble at home

April 19, 2002

Never play Whitesnake for any reason. As much as it hurts feelings, it hurts ears.

Screw You Jay, that song "Here I go again" is one of my favorites! hurts the ears...whatever

Now I agree it didn't need to be played at that time, but why is he publishing "never play it for any reason".

If he comes out and bashes AC/DC, we're gonna have words!