PDA

View Full Version : What other options are left for CF/Leadoff? Who would you rather see out there?

WhiteSox5187
12-24-2007, 03:01 PM
I've been trying to think what options do the Sox have left for CF/leadoff? There's Lofton, Crisp (possibly) and Patterson...this begs a couple of questions, one is what would it take to acquire Lofton, Patterson, or Crisp, via trade or FA. Two is are any of these options really better than Jerry Owens? Three is is there anyone that I have left off that list? Is there anyone of those three you really want to see out there?

gogosox16
12-24-2007, 03:32 PM
I've been trying to think what options do the Sox have left for CF/leadoff? There's Lofton, Crisp (possibly) and Patterson...this begs a couple of questions, one is what would it take to acquire Lofton, Patterson, or Crisp, via trade or FA. Two is are any of these options really better than Jerry Owens? Three is is there anyone that I have left off that list? Is there anyone of those three you really want to see out there?
the only guy I would rather see out there than Owens is crisp but I wouldn't give up a lot to get him. a md tier prospect. nothing special.

raven1
12-24-2007, 04:12 PM
In addition to the 3 you mention, Juan Pierre might be an option. I think Crede would be too steep a price for him, but if the Dodgers would take a mix of prospects it might be a good fit. I think that any of these names have the advantage over Owens as established MLB leadoff hitters, but none are sure bets and all have large contracts which would limit the Sox ability to take on large additional salaries. Taking a chance on Owens & signing Orlando Cabrera to an extension might be a better bet than chasing anyone left out there.

btrain929
12-24-2007, 05:58 PM
David Dejesus, no teal.

fozzy
12-24-2007, 06:56 PM
juan pierre's obp has not been north of .330 for almost 3 years. jerry owens had a very simlar obp in his rookie year. at 7.5 million i'm saying no to juan.

HaroMaster87
12-24-2007, 10:42 PM
JERRY OWENS!!! Come on down! You're our next contestant on all Sox fans' favorite annual game show! "Win the Centerfield Spot"!!!!

:(:

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Crisp, Pierre=low OBP and don't like what we would have to give up to get either. Also contract for Pierre awful!

David Dejesus is interesting but cant hit lefties and no real speed. Also what would we have to give up? But decent.

I through out Joey Gathright. OBP=.370 last year, I know he can burn, but what would we have to give up, and he is risky looking at his stats prior to last year.

I kind of like Figgins, just not sure how his CF D is?

roadrunner
12-27-2007, 09:34 AM
I'd like to see Shannon Stewart in LF. I like his career .362 OBP (I don't like the dip in SLG last year). He doesn't steal many bases anymore but he can go from first to third on a single and can score from first on a double. Given what's out there he could be a decent fit for a reasonable price. He's 33 so he's probably got at a couple of years left.

I am not a fan of Corey Patterson by any means, but he and Cameron are the best of what's left for CF. Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel. If Ramirez or Owens can beat em out - great then one of Patterson/Cameron could be a fourth OF.

Save McCuddy's
12-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Not one of the remaining candidates is a better option than trying Owens, Quentin or BA in some sort of a win the spot or desperate platoon scenario.

I need a drink.

Tekijawa
12-27-2007, 11:19 AM
I need a drink.

BA is that you?

PorkChopExpress
12-27-2007, 11:43 AM
This is a little out there, but I saw that Alex Escobar was on the FA list. I know the guy has been plagued with injuries, but he was supposed to be a five tool kind of guy a couple of years ago. Would it be worth it to sign him to an incentive-laden contract, or a minor league contract if no one else is showing interest, and see if he can perform? If not, no loss, but if he does, he might be a nice addition.

southsideirish71
12-27-2007, 11:48 AM
This is a little out there, but I saw that Alex Escobar was on the FA list. I know the guy has been plagued with injuries, but he was supposed to be a five tool kind of guy a couple of years ago. Would it be worth it to sign him to an incentive-laden contract, or a minor league contract if no one else is showing interest, and see if he can perform? If not, no loss, but if he does, he might be a nice addition.

He is just as healthy as Mark Prior, Kerry Wood and Darin Erstad.

Sargeant79
12-27-2007, 01:14 PM

Didn't we try that a few years ago with Escobar and wind up trading him to Washington for Jerry Owens?

SBSoxFan
12-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Didn't we try that a few years ago with Escobar and wind up trading him to Washington for Jerry Owens?

Yep. The Sox picked up Escobar in August 2004 after the Indians released him. I think he had a broken foot at the time. Sox traded him for Owens in Feb 2005.

gregory18n
12-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Well it seems the path is proven, an Escobar flyer it is!

the1tab
12-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Is Quentin an option in CF at all? How's his arm post-surgery?

The reason I ask is because I think LF is the spot that will be more likely filled than CF at this point. Only three of the guys named in this thread are still legit CFs: Patterson, Owens and Crisp. I don't think Pierre or Lofton can cover ground any more, and I wouldn't want their contracts. However, if someone like Crede is on the block, I would think that packaging him with a couple prospects for a LF would not only be easier, but make more sense than trying to pry away a CF.

Of course, all of this is dependant on Owens or Quentin being able to take CF.

Brian Anderson? :gulp:

Daver
12-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Owens as an everyday center fielder would be a large mistake.

He compensates for his struggles at the plate by playing an utterly crappy center.

Save McCuddy's
12-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Quentin throws right handed and his most recent DL stint was a result of a tear in his left shoulder. His arm is plus for right fielders despite Tommy John surgery in 2003 on the right elbow.

As far as his ability to play center, his shortcoming will be range and to a degree experience. He has excellent fundamentals and will take good routes. His arm will clearly be an asset. I just don't see him being fast enough to consistently play center and take hits away from the opposition, but he could slide over there as part of a flex plan from time to time.

Noneck
12-27-2007, 02:47 PM

He compensates for his struggles at the plate by playing an utterly crappy center.
I agree but if its not Anderson, Owens will be elected. At this point the Sox would have to give too many of their few marketable assets to get a marginal center fielder.

Save McCuddy's
12-27-2007, 02:52 PM

Any way you look, filling center on this team is going to be a major mistake. Trading anything of value for the likes of Pierre or Crisp would be horrendous.

I can't speak to Owens' defensive problems nor can I speculate as to whether he'll improve with the glove.

Offensively, however, there is ample evidence to suggest that he can improve into a serviceable slap hitter ideally suited for the 9 hole but a lead-off hitter in a pinch with 50 swipes.

There's no way things will be much worse in center with Owens than there was with BA, the grinder or Terrero the past couple of years.

Tragg
12-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Offensively, however, there is ample evidence to suggest that he can improve into a serviceable slap hitter ideally suited for the 9 hole but a lead-off hitter in a pinch with 50 swipes.

There's no way things will be much worse in center with Owens than there was with BA, the grinder or Terrero the past couple of years. I agree that the worst move would be to trade anything of value for Crisp or Pierre.
Offensively, I agree with what you say...Owens can be a servicable slap hitter. I wish he had Anderson's defense and we could live with it for this year. If this team plays bad defense, it could really get ugly, with the 2 young starters.

minutia
12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I have kind of given up on centerfield. Sure I would have liked Hunter but I am glad we did not get him for what he took, that is too much. I am in favor of a youth movement out there. Whose to say that Owens or even Anderson would be a total disaster if they were let to focus on that position. I mean Owens was all over the place. Of course if Anderson still can't hit I am not interested. Owens and Fields on the other hand were able to put togeter some nice at bats, and even excute some nice hit and runs. I would rather a solid starting pitcher or another set up guy.

cards press box
12-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Aren't the White Sox just one transaction away from having an outfield of Quentin, Coco Crisp and Dye with Owens and Sweeney (who can also play 1b) as the 4th and 5th outfielders? I've followed Quentin's progress with Arizona the past couple of years and I think he will be an excellent corner outfielder for years to come. Moreover, if Minnesota and Boston do not make a deal for Johan Santana, I doubt that the Red Sox will keep Crisp on the roster and the White Sox seem like a logical destination for him.

I just don't understand all this consternation about CF when it isn't even January yet. The moron segment of the local media will always rabble rouse about free agents and other nonsense but has anybody thought of how much of a financial albatross the Hunter deal will be for LAA and the Rowand deal will be for SF in the next year or two? No one is going to convince me that Crisp (at his current contract for the next three years) doesn't make more financial sense than the contracts that Hunter and Rowand eventually signed. Unlike those free agent signings, acquiring Crisp would give the Sox more financial flexibility to make other moves.

Tragg
12-27-2007, 06:58 PM
Aren't the White Sox just one transaction away from having an outfield of Quentin, Coco Crisp and Dye with Owens and Sweeney (who can also play 1b) as the 4th and 5th outfielders? I've followed Quentin's progress with Arizona the past couple of years and I think he will be an excellent corner outfielder for years to come. Moreover, if Minnesota and Boston do not make a deal for Johan Santana, I doubt that the Red Sox will keep Crisp on the roster and the White Sox seem like a logical destination for him.

I just don't understand all this consternation about CF when it isn't even January yet. The moron segment of the local media will always rabble rouse about free agents and other nonsense but has anybody thought of how much of a financial albatross the Hunter deal will be for LAA and the Rowand deal will be for SF in the next year or two? No one is going to convince me that Crisp (at his current contract for the next three years) doesn't make more financial sense than the contracts that Hunter and Rowand eventually signed. Unlike those free agent signings, acquiring Crisp would give the Sox more financial flexibility to make other moves.
I agree - we didn't have a lot of good options. The FAs weren't what we needed, and were too expensive. The angst is that there isn't a plus player on the horizon. We could probably get Crisp if we wanted- The only thing is that Crisp is a marginal offensive player for whom Boston has unrealistically high demands in trade.

If Quentin can play, he will be a MAJOR and underrated upgrade to this ball club.

DickAllen72
12-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Aren't the White Sox just one transaction away from having an outfield of Quentin, Coco Crisp and Dye with Owens and Sweeney (who can also play 1b) as the 4th and 5th outfielders?
Does Sweeney play 1B? I didn't know that. Is he any good defensively there? How often has he played there?

Big Hurt #35=HOF
12-28-2007, 05:36 AM
Coco=NO NO- Poor OBP and will cost us young prospects, and has a longer contract -Not to say that if the Santana deal doesn't go thru, I do think Kenny will make a move with him

Fields has to be able to play 3rd base before he can play 1st-glove not so hot right now; maybe he will be better at 1st?

Go with what we got in the OF now and get another starter

Owens in the 9 hole is ok, who will lead off?

Bucky F. Dent
12-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Well, to throw another name into the mix, how many years away do we suspect that Alexei is from playing center?

RedHeadPaleHoser
12-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Well, to throw another name into the mix, how many years away do we suspect that Alexei is from playing center?

If this team tanks by the ASB - August 1, 2008.

SoxNation05
12-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Coco=NO NO- Poor OBP and will cost us young prospects, and has a longer contract -Not to say that if the Santana deal doesn't go thru, I do think Kenny will make a move with him

Fields has to be able to play 3rd base before he can play 1st-glove not so hot right now; maybe he will be better at 1st?

Go with what we got in the OF now and get another starter

Owens in the 9 hole is ok, who will lead off?
As much as I would love to see the Sox sign Colon or Lieber for the rotation it is not going to happen. Kenny is so high on Floyd and he is not giving up on him yet. Also Danks was one of our most prized prospects and we traded our best pitching prostpect in a while for him but we here at WSI we have to put that starter wish to rest. Unless an injury happens in ST and there is still something left are rotation will stay : Buerhle, Vazques, Contreras, Danks, and Floyd, until Floyd sucks and gets cut. Then the fifth spot will be Broadway's. I am just nervous that if Floyd mantains an ERA under 5.5 he will stay in the rotation.

wassagstdu
12-29-2007, 03:48 PM
The Phillies need a 3B and Werth seems to be a fifth wheel in the Phillies OF.
http://philliesblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/is-werth-right.html
Could he lead off and play CF? Good speed, good arm, high OBP. Sees a lot of pitches. Hits LHP better than RHP but not shabby either way. Has had injury problems (broken wrist HBP) and is 28, but may be ready to take off.