PDA

View Full Version : I just thought about Josh Fields!

Lukin13
12-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Let me begin by stating that I am pretty sure if I was the manager of the Chicago White Sox I would NOT juggle the lineup like Ozzie has done the past few seasons. I also (as you can tell by my signature) am no fan of Fields playing anywhere but 3B or DH.

But with that being said, I think it has become pretty evident that Ozzie is most likely not going to change his approach to filling out the lineup card for the foreseeable future.

So….

With our current roster is it possible that with the defensive flexibility that Josh Fields possesses (or the ability KW/Ozzie feel he possesses) that Carlos Quentin, Joe Crede, Jim Thome and Mr. Fields can all play Ozzie’s version of “everyday” for the White Sox in 2008? My main concern would be that we are jerking around the Franchise’s brightest young star; but with Thome nearing the end of the road and the question marks surrounding Crede’s health and his future contract status with the Sox, I think this might only need to be a one year plan.

Here goes:
Lets take your average week during the regular season: The Sox will play six games, four of which will be against right handed starting pitchers.

We all know that Thome was horrendous against LH pitchers in ‘07. He hit below .200, and had six homers. I believe Jim should only start at DH against RH starters in ‘08. He will also give Ozzie an extremely dangerous pinch hit bat in games he does not start. I would start Fields at DH against all LH starters, with Crede at 3B and Quentin in LF.

Next is Crede, who knows what he is going to be able to contribute in ’08 and beyond… but one thing is for sure, even if the guy gets off to a decent start it would not hurt to give him a couple days off per week. Even when he was “supposedly healthy” Joe was getting routine days off to rest his “supposedly healthy” back. I would substitue Fields for Crede once or twice a week against RH starting pitching at 3B, Quentin stays in LF and Thome at DH.

Finally up is Quentin/Whomever is our left fielder. Carlos is also coming off of an injury so at the VERY least this is going to give him Ozzie’s traditional Sunday or Monday off. There will be a minimum of one game a week against a RH starter that Fields can shuffle out to LF. This lets Crede play 3B and Thome DH.

I know this is by no means rocket science; but it is pretty easy to see that unless moving Fields around the field is completely out of the question, that Ozzie is going to have an easy time keeping him in the lineup everyday without having to “make” a left fielder out of him or deal Joe Crede for a bag of balls just to make room for Josh at third.

So old timers… is this anyway to treat our future allstar? Or will it not be a big deal to shuffle him around for one season?

HawkDJ
12-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Kudos points for the name of this thread.

That's all I have to contribute.

Frater Perdurabo
12-22-2007, 05:46 PM
I've advocated the same type of rotation, albeit before the Sox got Quentin. I think it's a good idea. There's no reason to get rid of Crede, especially since he has more value to the Sox than he could fetch in a trade.

If he's playing well but the Sox are out of it at the trade deadline, he could be dealt to a contender.

If he's playing well and the Sox are in contention, then why mess with success?

DickAllen72
12-22-2007, 05:58 PM
If the Sox can't trade Crede for fair value by the time the season starts (because he still has to prove he is healthy), he should platoon at 3B with Fields until they can trade him.

Fields would start at 3B every day against RHP with Thome at DH. Crede would be used as a late inning defensive replacement.

Against LHP, Crede would get every start at 3B with Fields starting at DH and Thome on the bench ready to PH against a righty reliever if the game is on the line.

I'd go with that scenario until someone who needs a third basemen is willing to trade something of quality that fills a need for the Sox.

DickAllen72
12-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Kudos points for the name of this thread.
:thumbsup:

TomBradley72
12-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I agree with your point on Thome...he should be resting when a LH is starting...come off the bench as a PH if necessary. Horrible against lefties the last few years and is at the age when more days off is a good thing.