PDA

View Full Version : Under the radar rebuilding

steely712
12-21-2007, 08:16 PM
I am looking at the acquisitions and lineup that we will most likely have, and it almost seems to me like we are almost doing an under the radar rebuilding season this year. It seems like no one wants to admit it, but we could have six players in our lineup that have not been in the majors for more than five years (Owens, Quentin, Fields, Richar, Danks, Floyd, and maybe even Sweeney and Ramirez), I know that we are not calling it a rebuilding season, but look at the roster. I am excited about our future, but would also like to win now. What does everyone else think?

WhiteSox5187
12-21-2007, 08:54 PM
It seems to me we're kind of doing a bit of both here, trying to contend and rebuild at the same time. Normally a risky proposition, but we have some veteran sluggers out there, some vets in the rotation, some vets in the bullpen. If the young guys can live up to the hype and contribute, this team can be good for awhile. We'll see though. I think it really all comes down the rotation.

JB98
12-21-2007, 09:09 PM
A rebuilding team doesn't trade a proven 28-year-old pitcher for a 33-year-old shortstop entering the last year of his contract. A rebuilding team doesn't sign vets like Buehrle, AJ and Dye to extensions either.

I don't think the Sox are rebuilding in any way, shape or fashion. Under the radar or otherwise. They're trying to win in 2008.

drewcifer
12-21-2007, 09:14 PM
It seems to me we're kind of doing a bit of both here, trying to contend and rebuild at the same time. Normally a risky proposition, but we have some veteran sluggers out there, some vets in the rotation, some vets in the bullpen. If the young guys can live up to the hype and contribute, this team can be good for awhile. We'll see though. I think it really all comes down the rotation.

100% agree. I also really like the mix of vets and newbies on offense. Last year sucked. I can't figure it out. It's a statistical anomaly for ALL VETS to suck along with the young guys even when you factor losses and time out for injury (****, I sound like a Cub fan).

But it's true. That kind of decline in a single season is almost unprecedented.

Anyway, to your most important point - The rotation is still worrisome. There's no question. We need, really.... 3 guys to step up because you can't assume Jose has his head screwed on straight.

MarySwiss
12-21-2007, 09:43 PM
A rebuilding team doesn't trade a proven 28-year-old pitcher for a 33-year-old shortstop entering the last year of his contract. A rebuilding team doesn't sign vets like Buehrle, AJ and Dye to extensions either.

I don't think the Sox are rebuilding in any way, shape or fashion. Under the radar or otherwise. They're trying to win in 2008.

Yep. And I find it hard to believe that the bullpen will implode like it did last year. How many here expected MacDougal to fall as far as he did from 2006 to 2007? This team will contend.

drewcifer
12-21-2007, 09:59 PM
How many here expected MacDougal to fall as far as he did from 2006 to 2007?

Well, honestly Mary... McDougal sucks and that's exactly what I expected. I hope he's replaced. I hate him. He's afraid of throwing strikes. A *****, basically, and you can't be that and be an RP man, let alone a closer which he he was a failure at when we got him from KC.

WhiteSox5187
12-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Yep. And I find it hard to believe that the bullpen will implode like it did last year. How many here expected MacDougal to fall as far as he did from 2006 to 2007? This team will contend.
MacDougal was always a bit of a question mark from the people in baseball I know (people who work(ed) in the Tigers and the Cardinals front office, I don't want to name names, but if you HAVE to know, you can PM me and I will tell)...I honestly think getting Linebrink helps shore up the pen a bit more, but I really don't think there is any way the pen can be any worse than last year.

SoxNation05
12-21-2007, 11:37 PM
The only reason I am happy is we actually have SPs in the minors that could step up once Floyd sucks. Especially if Bowden gets landed in a trade.

Tragg
12-21-2007, 11:49 PM

I think he has a point. i'm not sure it's rebuilding, per se. But there's a not of fresh players.
Rebiuilding via selling off every veteran you have is not the only approach, nor is it advisable, nor is it really necessary.
YOu cut that budget and divest of veterans and it's really hard to ever get the budget back to respectability.