PDA

View Full Version : Rangers acquire Hamilton

Sockinchisox
12-21-2007, 04:25 PM
Texas gives up one of their top pitching prospects in Edison Volquez and another minor league pitcher.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071221&content_id=2335816&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

SoxNation05
12-21-2007, 04:27 PM
I didn't hear anything about this coming. I am a bit disapointed this makes it less likely the Sox get Ryan Freel.

spawn
12-21-2007, 04:29 PM
I didn't hear anything about this coming. I am a bit disapointed this makes it less likely the Sox get Ryan Freel.
Can someone tell me why we would even want Ryan Freel???

SoxNation05
12-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Can someone tell me why we would even want Ryan Freel???
Can spell time for Fields, Richar(escpecially because he can't hit lefties), the CF, Quinton, and Dye. He is also fast, can hit from the leadoff spot and is a so called "grinder".

spawn
12-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Can spell time for Fields, Richar(escpecially because he can't hit lefties), the CF, Quinton, and Dye. He is also fast, can hit from the leadoff spot and is a so called "grinder".
So you want KW to trade a prospect or two for a utility man that doesn't have a high obp, doesn't steal a lot of bases, and doesn't hit for power. Brilliant!

SoxNation05
12-21-2007, 04:38 PM
So you want KW to trade a prospect or two for a utility man that doesn't have a high obp, doesn't steal a lot of bases, and doesn't hit for power. Brilliant!
Because we really need a guy who can hit for power. He is a hell of a lot better than Owens.

kittle42
12-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Because we really need a guy who can hit for power. He is a hell of a lot better than Owens.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/f/freelry01.shtml

Look at that power!

mjmcend
12-21-2007, 04:46 PM

Look at that power!

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

doublem23
12-21-2007, 04:46 PM

Look at that power!

10 more and he matches his age!!!

:bandance:

Who wouldn't want the Sox to be part of that historic milestone?

kittle42
12-21-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Now that I look at it again, you're right.

oeo
12-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Do the Rangers ever wonder why their pitching always sucks? Dumb organization down there.

Tragg
12-21-2007, 05:26 PM
That's about the price the Sox would have to pay for Crisp. I'd much prefer Hamilton to Crisp (unless he's in a walk year, which I doubt)...he hasn't reached his potential, has a lot more power, and takes his walks.

RowanDye
12-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Texas gives up one of their top pitching prospects in Edison Volquez and another minor league pitcher.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071221&content_id=2335816&vkey=hotstove2007&fext=.jsp

OK, enough about Ryan Freel. Can anyone make a comparison in the White Sox farm system to Edison Volquez? Would that have been like giving up Gio and Egbert, or were these guys lower level prospects?

Sockinchisox
12-21-2007, 05:28 PM
OK, enough about Ryan Freel. Can anyone make a comparison in the White Sox farm system to Edison Volquez? Would that have been like giving up Gio and Egbert, or were these guys lower level prospects?

Best comparison would probably be Gio.

Tragg
12-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I'd trade Gio for a YOUNG CF with power and plate discipline.
I don't know what kind of D this guy plays though.

I'm hoping we get D and power and discipline out of MR Quinten this year.

Huisj
12-21-2007, 05:52 PM

I don't really think Volquez and Gio are comparable value wise. Volquez is 24, and he's had 11 starts in the big leagues, and is 1-10 with a 9.20 ERA. He was pretty good in AAA last year but had some control problems by the looks of his stats (72 BB in 120 IP). How that compares to a lefty who was 21 in AA last year, I'm not real sure.

RowanDye
12-21-2007, 05:53 PM
I'd trade Gio for a YOUNG CF with power and plate discipline.
I don't know what kind of D this guy plays though.

I'm hoping we get D and power and discipline out of MR Quinten this year.

If Gio had made a solid September call-up or does well in Spring Training, would that change your mind?

I'm only interested to know because I think Hamilton is still somewhat of a question mark.

I love the Josh Hamilton story as much or more than anyone, but I think I would love Gio Gonzalez holding down a spot in the rotation for the next 5-10 years even more.

Hamilton for Gio + some low-level prospect, OK, but I think the deal depends a lot on the quality of that second guy.

cws05champ
12-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Well, the Rangers used to have the vaunted minor league trio of DVD (Danks, Volquez, Diamond). After they traded Danks, they were left with VD. Now they no longer have VD...but do have a Diamond!!

DSpivack
12-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Well, the Rangers used to have the vaunted minor league trio of DVD (Danks, Volquez, Diamond). After they traded Danks, they were left with VD. Now they no longer have VD...but do have a Diamond!!

They're probably glad about that. Although their pitching certainly seems like they have some long-term disease.

drewcifer
12-21-2007, 07:17 PM
I don't really think Volquez and Gio are comparable value wise. Volquez is 24, and he's had 11 starts in the big leagues, and is 1-10 with a 9.20 ERA. He was pretty good in AAA last year but had some control problems by the looks of his stats (72 BB in 120 IP). How that compares to a lefty who was 21 in AA last year, I'm not real sure.

I agree. He's a closer match to Floyd than he is to Gio (with Floyd being about a minor league season his major).

steely712
12-21-2007, 07:57 PM
I was really hoping that Hamilton would be one of our under the radar guys that we might have been able to get, but I am happy that we did not give up our top pitching prospect to get him.

Tragg
12-21-2007, 08:20 PM
If Gio had made a solid September call-up or does well in Spring Training, would that change your mind?

The former perhaps. I'm not as high on Gio as others. Not that I've ever seen him pitch. Just looking at stats and the fact that he's been traded twice.
Hamilton isn't a slam dunk, you are right. But gosh we could use an interesting CF (not a proven swing at everything low OBP type).
I'll say this much - I sure as heck wouldn't trade Gio (or Egbert or Broadway or several others) for any Coco Crisp.

Anyway, these guys are saying that essentially the RAngers traded Floyd. That I'd do as well.

soxinem1
12-21-2007, 10:32 PM
The former perhaps. I'm not as high on Gio as others. Not that I've ever seen him pitch. Just looking at stats and the fact that he's been traded twice.
Hamilton isn't a slam dunk, you are right. But gosh we could use an interesting CF (not a proven swing at everything low OBP type).
I'll say this much - I sure as heck wouldn't trade Gio (or Egbert or Broadway or several others) for any Coco Crisp.

Anyway, these guys are saying that essentially the RAngers traded Floyd. That I'd do as well.

As talented as he is, and as much as I like his tools, I feel like I am seeing Alan Wiggins and Steve Howe when I look at him.

His past is just way too shaky; for his sake I hope he doesn't, but I just have this wierd feeling he's going to relapse.

Frater Perdurabo
12-22-2007, 07:24 AM
When have the Rangers ever made a good decision on a pitcher?

EndemicSox
12-22-2007, 01:31 PM
Got to think the Reds feel Hamilton will fall off the wagon. I hope he proves them wrong...