PDA

View Full Version : Reinsdorf: We don't want Bud to retire

Fenway
12-21-2007, 03:40 PM
"He has total support of the ownership, total support," Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said.

Selig has said he plans to retire in two years, when he's 75, but some owners think they can persuade him to stay on.

"Believe me, we're going to certainly try," Reinsdorf said. "The job is not done yet. He shouldn't leave until he knows that he's accomplished all he wants to accomplish and there's somebody in place to pick up the ball and go the rest of the way."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/12/21/selig_support_strong_in_baseball/

tick53
12-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Oh that's just wonderful! Who doesn't want to keep Selig around. I give up.

jabrch
12-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't know why the owners would care - they could easily hire the next stooge to be as biased as this one.

I'd love to see Congress somehow convince baseball to go and hire an independent commish to act truly in the best interest of baseball.

And then the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus will come have Christmas Dinner with me and my (deceased) grandfather...

soxinem1
12-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Reinsdorf wants to keep his favorite puppet? What a shock!

tebman
12-22-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't know why the owners would care - they could easily hire the next stooge...

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/_photos/2003-01-09-inside-selig.jpg

Frontman
12-22-2007, 05:21 PM
And then the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus will come have Christmas Dinner with me and my (deceased) grandfather...

Sorry, Santa and Mr. Cottontail are holding out for the holiday. They hired a new agent, by the way:

http://www.redsoxtimes.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/t2borasap.jpg
"Mr. Claus and Mr. Cottontail are going to try the Free Agent Market prior to committing to any holiday dinners. Next question."

asindc
12-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Reinsdorf wants to keep his favorite puppet? What a shock!

My thoughts exactly.

Grobber33
12-24-2007, 10:53 AM
I don't know why the owners would care - they could easily hire the next stooge to be as biased as this one.

I'd love to see Congress somehow convince baseball to go and hire an independent commish to act truly in the best interest of baseball.

Unfortunately,NO THEY CAN'T since if Baseball were to again hire an unbiased Commish,then the Owners feel they lose out. The reason they dumped Vincent was because he was TOO INDEPENDENT and that gave Fehr and the MLBPA too much of an advantage.The Owners need someone that THEY can control,one of THEIR guys.
There will never be a true Commissioner again. Fehr is the Players Commish,and Selig the Owners guy. If Fehr doesn't like what Bud does,he just has Orza take it to arbitration or even Court,and the MLBPA wins most of the time.
The only way around that is if Congress did something to cut off Fehr and Orza's 'nads' with a Bill that would never happen. Too many Labor leaders were scream,and too many others would bark stuff like "Don't they have more important things to worry about than this?".
ABSOLUTE POWER no longer exsists for the Baseball Commissioner.

jabrch
12-24-2007, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately,NO THEY CAN'T

Les - let's differentiate "CAN'T" from "WON'T".

They CAN. But they WON'T. Threatening to revoke the antitrust exemption has moved them a long way on cleaning up the game. There is no reason to believe that they couldn't continue to push if they wanted to.

Sox
12-25-2007, 04:33 PM
"He has total support of the ownership, total support," Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said.

Selig has said he plans to retire in two years, when he's 75, but some owners think they can persuade him to stay on.

"Believe me, we're going to certainly try," Reinsdorf said. "The job is not done yet. He shouldn't leave until he knows that he's accomplished all he wants to accomplish and there's somebody in place to pick up the ball and go the rest of the way."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/12/21/selig_support_strong_in_baseball/

I'm confused here. Why would they want to persuade him to stay on? He's a Lame-o Commish. Time for some new blood.

Oblong
12-25-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm confused here. Why would they want to persuade him to stay on? He's a Lame-o Commish. Time for some new blood.

because he does what they tell him to do for the most part. Baseball's revenues have soared under his watch. He's been a good commissioner for the owners... and I guess for the players too.

I think he's a tool but it's hard to argue against the baseball bottom line right now.

Grzegorz
12-26-2007, 04:59 AM

I'd love to see Congress do the job the people elected them to do. If they don't then revolt and throw the SOBs out in the cold.

Hey Congress: stay the hell out of baseball!

I'd love to see a strong MLB commissioner put in place to combat the ills that this game suffers from at this time.

When the discussion about baseball primarily involves steroids, lawsuits, tainted records, and the self-centered nature of many of the personalities involved in the game, then something is terribly wrong with the game.