PDA

View Full Version : Kenny will be on ESPN 1000 tomorrow morning

Sockinchisox
12-21-2007, 12:23 PM
If anyone cares, he'll be on Hot Stove Gameday at 10:20 tomorrow morning.

CLUBHOUSE KID
12-21-2007, 12:28 PM
If anyone cares, he'll be on Hot Stove Gameday at 10:20 tomorrow morning.

Thank you. I WILL be listenting!!! :D:

Let's hope for great words!!!

Lip Man 1
12-21-2007, 01:04 PM
Latest from Kenny:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071221&content_id=2335219&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip

kittle42
12-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Will he be coming from his spin class?

Pun intended.

Juice16
12-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Why is Coco Crisp haunting us?

balke
12-21-2007, 01:34 PM
The only nice thing I can say about Crisp, it puts more OF depth on the team, and hurts Minnesota in the CF department (unless they get one for Santana).

russ99
12-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Crisp was only speculated by the writer of the article.

Kenny wisely is keeping his mouth shut. Let's hope it continues as well as Kenny searching for upgrades for the Sox.

Hitmen77
12-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Will he be coming from his spin class?

Pun intended.

:kneeslap:

alohafri
12-21-2007, 03:46 PM
The only nice thing I can say about Crisp, it puts more OF depth on the team, and hurts Minnesota in the CF department (unless they get one for Santana).

I don't see Crisp as an upgrade anywhere, but if it keeps Ozzie from putting infielders in the outfielders, okay.

Scottiehaswheels
12-21-2007, 03:51 PM
putting infielders in the outfieldersWow.... Thats a lil much... Sounds like they are getting a little too friendly in the clubhouse...:D:

Juice16
12-22-2007, 01:18 PM
Did anybody listen to the show?

DumpJerry
12-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Did anybody listen to the show?
Yes. Most of it.

He's working on making the White Sox stronger and better.

downstairs
12-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Yes. Most of it.

Yippie! No last place in 2008?!? You rock, Kenny!

/Sarcasm implied.

GoSox2K3
12-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Yes. Most of it.

As if he or any other GM would go on the radio and say anything different.

DumpJerry
12-22-2007, 04:35 PM
As if he or any other GM would go on the radio and say anything different.
What did you expect him to say? He could not even mention the name "Alexei Ramirez" due to MLB rules (I guess he has to wait until the contract is official after he passes the physical next month).

btrain929
12-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Any other details? How long was the interview?

Vernam
12-22-2007, 06:24 PM
For me, the most interesting comment came when Coppock and Levine asked him to comment on the steroid scandal. KW said he felt personally cheated because a couple of guys who beat him out for an MLB spot were juicers. Someone with a better memory than mine might be able to tell us who he was referencing. Kenny, you might want to ask whether your .218 career BA was a factor, too. :cool:

Otherwise, the interview was pretty snoozeworthy.

Vernam

ChiSoxGirl
12-23-2007, 12:41 AM
As I was blow drying my hair this morning, I remembered to turn on 1000- I was just in time to hear Kenny. His comments included:
He feels he's 4-for-5 this off-season in terms of acquisitions, with the miss being Hunter. He eyed Scott Linebrink months ago as the guy he wanted to see between MacDougal & Jenks, and as a means to take some of the stress off guys like Thornton & MacDougal.
An off-season goal of his was to land Carlos Quentin- not a guy like him and who possesses his skills, but actually Carlos Quentin.
He shored up the SS position with the acquisition of Cabrera.
Feels the rotation has the confidence to get through 2008 without Garland.
He said he was disappointed when he lost out on Hunter at the last minute, but knew he had to move on from there.
He's done getting "major" arms for the bullpen, as Linebrink was the only guy he saw as a good fit for the 'pen, and he admitted that he "paid dearly" for him.
Landed "that guy you may have heard discussed in the media yesterday" and he has excellent 2B, SS, and CF skills.
Ramirez will likely play CF, unless he needs to replace Richar as the starting second baseman. He can also fill in at SS when needed.
He has faith in guys like Anderson, Sweeney, & Owens, but made a play for Hunter because he wants the aforementioned guys to "get a little more seasoning" and not have so much pressure on them.
He takes one day off an off-season- Christmas. :tongue:

TornLabrum
12-23-2007, 09:46 AM
Feels the rotation has the confidence to get through 2008 without Garland.They may have the confidence, but the key question is, do they have the ability?

Noneck
12-23-2007, 11:13 AM
As I was blow drying my hair this morning, I remembered to turn on 1000- I was just in time to hear Kenny. His comments included:
He feels he's 4-for-5 this off-season in terms of acquisitions, with the miss being Hunter. He eyed Scott Linebrink months ago as the guy he wanted to see between MacDougal & Jenks, and as a means to take some of the stress off guys like Thornton & MacDougal.
An off-season goal of his was to land Carlos Quentin- not a guy like him and who possesses his skills, but actually Carlos Quentin.
He said he was disappointed when he lost out on Hunter at the last minute, but knew he had to move on from there.
He's done getting "major" arms for the bullpen, as Linebrink was the only guy he saw as a good fit for the 'pen, and he admitted that he "paid dearly" for him.
Landed "that guy you may have heard discussed in the media yesterday" and he has excellent 2B, SS, and CF skills.
Ramirez will likely play CF, unless he needs to replace Richar as the starting second baseman. He can also fill in at SS when needed.
He has faith in guys like Anderson, Sweeney, & Owens, but made a play for Hunter because he wants the aforementioned guys to "get a little more seasoning" and not have so much pressure on them.

Thanks for the summary. Did it sound as tho this is the hand he plans on going into the season with?

chisoxmike
12-23-2007, 11:55 AM

God, the Sox are going to suck next year.

gogosox16
12-23-2007, 11:58 AM
[/list]They may have the confidence, but the key question is, do they have the ability?
I really believe they have the ability. The only one that really questions me in Floyd because he was either very shaky out there or had a good game. We need consistent starts from him and People might be saying what about Danks. But he was a 21-22 year old rookie last not even suppose to be on this team until this year and went through some rough times and it helped him understand what he has to do in the majors to suceed. I really expect Danks to have an era of around 4 maybe high 3's.

fquaye149
12-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Yippie! No last place in 2008?!? You rock, Kenny!

/Sarcasm implied.

Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side.

/that was a joke!

gogosox16
12-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side.

/that was a joke!
Why did the Golfer wear 2 pairs of pants? In case they got a hole-in-one

fquaye149
12-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Why did the Golfer wear 2 pairs of pants? In case they got a hole-in-one

:D:

rdwj
12-23-2007, 12:18 PM
God, the Sox are going to suck next year.

Plenty of people felt the same way going into 05. You might want to let them play some games before passing judgment.

fquaye149
12-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Plenty of people felt the same way going into 05. You might want to let them play some games before passing judgment.

false analogies are fun!

russ99
12-23-2007, 12:29 PM
I really believe they have the ability. The only one that really questions me in Floyd because he was either very shaky out there or had a good game. We need consistent starts from him and People might be saying what about Danks. But he was a 21-22 year old rookie last not even suppose to be on this team until this year and went through some rough times and it helped him understand what he has to do in the majors to suceed. I really expect Danks to have an era of around 4 maybe high 3's.

Danks wore down at the end of last year. Other than that he was solid. I think Contreras is a bigger question mark than Danks at this point.

Floyd should not be handed a job, in fact the Sox may be better served if Kenny would publicly say that Broadway and Gio have a shot if they show something in Spring Training.

Also, I'd assume Ramirez will need some minor league seasoning so I'd doubt he can be pencilled in for CF (or 2B) this year, but if he can develop into a Betancourt-like hitter, we'll be set at SS/2B or Cf for a while.

I'd expect Kenny is not done, especially on the CF front. I also wouldn't be surprised if he adds an inexpensive starter (return of Freddy?) and an inexpensive vet reliever before they go to Arizona.

gogosox16
12-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Danks wore down at the end of last year. Other than that he was solid. I think Contreras is a bigger question mark than Danks at this point.

Floyd should not be handed a job, in fact the Sox may be better served if Kenny would publicly say that Broadway and Gio have a shot if they show something in Spring Training.

Also, I'd assume Ramirez will need some minor league seasoning so I'd doubt he can be pencilled in for CF (or 2B) this year, but if he can develop into a Betancourt-like hitter, we'll be set at SS/2B or Cf for a while.

I'd expect Kenny is not done, especially on the CF front. I also wouldn't be surprised if he adds an inexpensive starter (return of Freddy?) and an inexpensive vet reliever before they go to Arizona.
I totally agree with not handing Floyd the job. I really think the Broadway should be the #5 starter cause I liked what he showed me at the end of the year and he looks like he is ready for the majors. As for Gio he should still have a half a year in the minors. So I want Broadway and Floyd battling for the 5th spot with Broadway winning it the Floyd as long reliever or traded and if Floyd wins then Broadway in AAA to keep him starting

I believe Ramirez will need a half a year to year in the minors to develop and get use to pitching here, but if he has a solid ST then I can see him either the CF or 2nd basemen if Richar struggles.

Juice16
12-23-2007, 12:40 PM

The Sox going into the '05 season actually filled holes with likes of Dye, Pods, AJ, Iguchi, Hermanson, Hernandez and Jenks. We still have glaring holes in CF, 4-5 in the rotation and middle relief.

Brian26
12-23-2007, 12:44 PM
For me, the most interesting comment came when Coppock and Levine asked him to comment on the steroid scandal. KW said he felt personally cheated because a couple of guys who beat him out for an MLB spot were juicers. Someone with a better memory than mine might be able to tell us who he was referencing. Kenny, you might want to ask whether your .218 career BA was a factor, too. :cool:

Before checking any stats, the first guy that comes to mind is Gary Redus, who the Sox had picked up from the Phillies for Joe Cowley before the '87 season. Redus primarily played LF, so you could make a case that he was blocking KW.

KW played 115 games for the Sox in '87, 111 in CF and 4 in RF. He batted .281 with 21 SBs and 11 HRs. Actually, those weren't terrible numbers by any means. The Sox would probably be happy with that kind of production in '08 out of CF. Considering KW had a decent year in 1987, you can't assume he was being "blocked" that year.

In '88, the Sox started screwing with KW a bit because he got plugged in at thirdbase as an experiment.

From retrosheet:

KW played 3B for 32 games in 1988. He also played 29 games in RF and 12 games in CF. His numbers went south, as he batted an Andy Gonzalez-like .159 with 8 HRs. The Sox were in desperate need of help at 3B that year, even though they had just drafted Ventura and knew he would be ready by late '89 or '90. I guess you have to look at who the Sox had playing in the OF in '88 to wonder who was "blocking" KW. On Opening Day, Pasqua started the season in LF, Gallagher in CF, Calderon in RF. Daryl Boston and Gary Redus were on the bench as reserve outfielders. On paper, that's not a bad outfield.

Boston was a coach in the Sox minor league system for awhile (not sure if he still is) and is considered KW's friend (I believe he was even considered as hitting coach at one point before Greg Walker was hired), so I doubt KW was alluding to him. Dave Gallagher was a pretty scrappy player, but never a prolific homerun threat by any means and not someone you'd consider to be a juicer. I'd eliminate those two guys from consideration.

There are three guys left that you could consider, and it may not be fair to throw accusations now, especially since one of the guys has passed away. Another of the guys has been nailed in the past for receiving drugs through the mail. All three guys were power guys, and all three show similar characteristics of some current day juicers.

The three possible guys: Dan Pasqua, Ivan Calderon, Gary Redus.

Edit:

I re-read what Williams said about being "beat out", and I guess you consider maybe he was talking about the season PRIOR to his rookie year. KW came up at the end of '86 to play some games after rosters expanded. Who beat him out in Spring Training 1986 for spots on the Opening Day 1986 roster? The Opening Day LF was Bonilla, CF was Cangelosi, and RF was Baines. The bench in '86 consisted of Kittle (mostly DH), Reid Nichols (no), Daryl Boston (came up at the end of '86 like Williams), Calderon (maybe) (Dave Stewart reference there), George Foster (played about a month in August before being released), and Luis Salazar (was hurt all year).

Bonilla seems to be the only guy from that list you could add to consideration.

areilly
12-23-2007, 02:01 PM

Plenty of people felt the same way going into 97, 98, 99 and 07. Likewise, plenty of people felt the Sox were going to beat the Cardinals in the 2004 Series, and later that they would repeat in 2006.

So let me ask you: what does any other year have to do with anything? Nothing. The Sox might be in a better position than they were in August, but they've got a long way to go before they're on equal footing with the Tigers and Tribe.

To put it another way (and to repeat something I've been saying for some time): it doesn't matter if the '08 Sox can go toe-to-toe with the '07 Sox. What matters is if the '08 Sox can go toe-to-toe with the rest of the '08 AL Central.

Personally, I see no reason to believe they can.

kittle42
12-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Plenty of people felt the same way going into 97, 98, 99 and 07. Likewise, plenty of people felt the Sox were going to beat the Cardinals in the 2004 Series, and later that they would repeat in 2006.

So let me ask you: what does any other year have to do with anything? Nothing. The Sox might be in a better position than they were in August, but they've got a long way to go before they're on equal footing with the Tigers and Tribe.

To put it another way (and to repeat something I've been saying for some time): it doesn't matter if the '08 Sox can go toe-to-toe with the '07 Sox. What matters is if the '08 Sox can go toe-to-toe with the rest of the '08 AL Central.

Personally, I see no reason to believe they can.

But they're all tied for first place right now!

ChiSoxGirl
12-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the summary. Did it sound as tho this is the hand he plans on going into the season with?

You know Kenny... he said his ears are always open and he'll listen to anyone who offers him anything reasonable. I think I'd be surprised if he went into the season with the hand he has right now.

Dan Mega
12-23-2007, 04:15 PM

The 2004 team wasn't nearly as bad as the 2007 team. Plus there weren't 2 teams in the AL Central above them who wouldn't shock anyone by winning it all.

Comparing the 2004/2005 seasons to the 2007/2008 one is a bad analogy, plain and simple. Who knows what will happen though?

scooter300
12-23-2007, 06:34 PM
The interview was really pathetic and it seemed like Bruce and Chet didn't want to upset him by asking any tough questions. What Kenny said was fine, but they absolutely did not question anything or ask any follow up questions with any substance. In my opinion it was horrible journalism and that interview added absolutely nothing to our knowledge about what the White Sox had done or are going to do.

Brian26
12-23-2007, 08:55 PM
What Kenny said was fine, but they absolutely did not question anything or ask any follow up questions with any substance. In my opinion it was horrible journalism and that interview added absolutely nothing to our knowledge about what the White Sox had done or are going to do.

What kind of follow-up questions do you think were missed? I read the accounts of the interview, and I think Coppock and Levine did a fine job. Both guys are admitted Cub fans and work for a rival radio station than the flagship. One could argue that they could have had a hidden agenda and went after Kenny if they wanted to. The fact that they didn't go after KW can be chalked up to professionalism and class. Both Coppock and Levine have been in this town for over 20 years for a reason.

Mike North's style of journalism doesn't equal good journalism. Trying to hammer someone or create controversy for a quick buzz doesn't translate to long term success, nor does it win you respect.

champagne030
12-23-2007, 09:25 PM
What kind of follow-up questions do you think were missed? I read the accounts of the interview, and I think Coppock and Levine did a fine job. Both guys are admitted Cub fans and work for a rival radio station than the flagship. One could argue that they could have had a hidden agenda and went after Kenny if they wanted to. The fact that they didn't go after KW can be chalked up to professionalism and class. Both Coppock and Levine have been in this town for over 20 years for a reason.

Mike North's style of journalism doesn't equal good journalism. Trying to hammer someone or create controversy for a quick buzz doesn't translate to long term success, nor does it win you respect.

I haven't read any accounts of the interview, other than here. That said, I think a question along the lines of, "do you really think you're hitting .800 this offseason?", wouldn't be unreasonable. Bruce Levine is where he's at because he's a good ass kisser and we both know that. That might be an indictment on his profession, but it is what it is......

Frater Perdurabo
12-24-2007, 08:01 AM

Agreed. A radio interview with KW generally is designed to pass on information to Sox fans who otherwise generally do not regularly get information from sources like WSI.

We WSI members know if and when something happens as soon as it is reported somewhere. Sometimes we even get privileged information and rumors that might turn out to be true ahead of 90% of Sox fans. Thanks to "Minor Observations," we know more about the Sox prospects than 98% of Sox fandom. So, just because a radio interview with KW didn't give a listener who is a WSI member any new information doesn't mean it was a bad interview. It just means that thanks to WSI, we're much more informed than most Sox fans.

scooter300
12-24-2007, 10:52 AM
How about a simple question like, "How do you plan to compete with pitching staffs like Detroit and Cleveland when you have your 5th spot open, a big question mark in Danks in your 4th spot, and Contreras who showed signs of being done in your 3rd spot?" That isn't picking a fight or being rude, but rather stating what seems to be facts.

Perhaps they could have asked him, "At what point are you willing to overpay for a player, since in this market you must overpay for good players or consistently lose them to other ball clubs?"

Their interview wasn't probing at all, they simply gave Williams a chance to put forth his spin on things. I agree with the previous post, that this interview added absolutely nothing to the informed Sox fans information base. Bruce Levine seems to prefer to pick fights with callers that disagree with him rather than sit down and write out good questions to ask Williams (And no, I have never called the show and been shot down).

spawn
12-24-2007, 10:54 AM

Word.

Brian26
12-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Bruce Levine seems to prefer to pick fights with callers that disagree with him rather than sit down and write out good questions to ask Williams

Have you honestly heard some of the callers though? I don't blame Levine for getting frustrated because it gets old trying to explain every week why the Cubs can't package Murton, Gallagher and Fontenot for Robinson Cano and Melky Cabrera.

Corlose 15
12-24-2007, 12:56 PM
I totally agree with not handing Floyd the job. I really think the Broadway should be the #5 starter cause I liked what he showed me at the end of the year and he looks like he is ready for the majors. As for Gio he should still have a half a year in the minors. So I want Broadway and Floyd battling for the 5th spot with Broadway winning it the Floyd as long reliever or traded and if Floyd wins then Broadway in AAA to keep him starting

I believe Ramirez will need a half a year to year in the minors to develop and get use to pitching here, but if he has a solid ST then I can see him either the CF or 2nd basemen if Richar struggles.

So you want Broadway to get the 5th spot based on good start against the Royals? What about Floyd's good month to finish the season? I just don't understand how so many people are doubting Floyd being able to get things done but think Broadway is ready. Floyd is only 24 and has a load of talent.

I would find it comforting that the staff has the confidence to perform well next year since that has been the main beef people have had with Floyd. Nobody questions his ability they question his mental toughness. If he's finally gotten over that, then I'd much rather give the ball to him every fifth day than pay 10M for Livan Hernandez or Freddy "My arm is barely attached" Garcia.

I don't mean to pick on you but it seems to be a general theme around WSI that people are scared ****less to let any young players develop, but then piss and moan about how old the Sox are and how crappy the farm system is. You can't have it both ways.

jabrch
12-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Bruce Levine seems to prefer to pick fights with callers that disagree with him rather than sit down and write out good questions to ask Williams (And no, I have never called the show and been shot down).

I don't blame Bruce. Talk radio callers, for the most part, are uninformed. And the overwhelming portion of his audience is not fairly well informed either. He needs to broadcast at a level where it adds most value to the largest audience. While grilling KW might be good for you, it doesn't help the marjoity of his listeners who don't have that information it would take to understand.

This is Sports Talk Radio - it isn't pulitzer prize journalism. Levine caters to the large portion of Chicago baseball fans - and has been doing so very well for a long time.

We all can think of better questions for KW if we want a more indepth interview. So can Bruce. But the majority of his listeners wouldn't get it.

Frank the Tank
12-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Did anyone ask KW why he resigned Juan Uribe and then traded Garland for another SS?

btrain929
12-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Did anyone ask KW why he resigned Juan Uribe and then traded Garland for another SS?

No, because its been stated about 198394 times on this site that the trade offer wasn't on the table until after KW resigned Uribe. He tried to make trades for a SS before the Uribe resigning, but they didn't work out. If we didn't resign Uribe, other GM's would have had him by the balls because we had absolutely 0 backup options, which forced us to make a trade. ANA probably would have wanted Garland plus 2 prospects. So KW would have either grossly overpaid thru a trade, or we would have had Cintron/Gonzalez at SS. Or a very unproven Alexei Ramirez. But KW didn't know he was going to sign him back then, so to bank on that would have been dumb as well.